As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ASK ME NOT, WHIPPY: THE THREAD (General Comics Questions Thread)

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why isn't there a Planetary thread? There should be one since its one of the best comics ever. Just in case that sounds like crazed fanboyism, I don't care. Thats how much it rocks.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Why isn't there a Planetary thread? There should be one since its one of the best comics ever. Just in case that sounds like crazed fanboyism, I don't care. Thats how much it rocks.

Instead of asking maybe you should just make one.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone know if the latest run of Uncle Sam is going to be collected in trade?

Also in the past 24 hours I read the first Walking Dead, and Y: The Last Man trades. Goddamn I hate myself for not reading them sooner.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Are there plans for any kind of follow up to the Justice League animated series afer the end of JLU?

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the latest run of Uncle Sam is going to be collected in trade?

You mean the Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters mini?

Yeah, it's on sale next week.
    It Burns wrote: »
    Are there plans for any kind of follow up to the Justice League animated series afer the end of JLU?

At the moment, no. Warner decided to not opt for another season, and instead are focusing on the direct to video movies.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Has the fact that Tony Stark has a Jacked-Up heart sort of been Retconned out? Or was that solved at a point and I just don't know it?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I imagine his tech had advanced enough where he no longer needs to wear the chestplate all the time. It's still a part of his history, just not really an issue at the present.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I imagine his tech had advanced enough where he no longer needs to wear the chestplate all the time. It's still a part of his history, just not really an issue at the present.

I'm pretty sure they actually had a operation or something that fixed his heart. (goes off for scorces)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    She should have cheated on Reed long ago, but fans would never consent to an interpretation of the character that allows for infidelity.

What?

And the writing in that first set of Namor and Sue scans was pretty awful.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    She should have cheated on Reed long ago, but fans would never consent to an interpretation of the character that allows for infidelity.

What?

Cheating is just something that I see happening very naturally in a relationship like theirs, not to mention the fact that I think Reed was dead for a stretch. It'd have been perfectly normal for her to have a one-night stand with someone at some point in the decades of time she's spent married.

But nobody wants to see infidelity from their favorite heroes, and I'm sure the potential for backlash will always keep storylines such as that at bay.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What?

Grant Morisson.

Funnily, the only character taht was written well in MK FF 1234 was Namor, but Jae Lee seemed to feel the need for a Namor buttshot almost every issue. *ugh*

JCM on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What?

Cheating is just something that I see happening very naturally in a relationship like theirs

That's not cynical at all.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Im not sure what Hooray sees in Sue that makes her a cheating slut but whatever it is I don't see it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Im not sure what Hooray sees in Sue that makes her a cheating slut but whatever it is I don't see it.

Cheating doesn't make you a slut, especially if an infidelity occurs when your husband is presumed dead. It's an emotionally unsatisfying relationship, with Reed providing no reprieve for relative months or even years, and yet we're meant to believe that Sue Storm can take it without seeking solace in anything or anyone else. She's simply satisfied being a generally dissatisfied wife. I know some may see that as a virtue, but I don't, nor can I even understand it as a human trait. She has to be finding satisfaction somewhere else.

But I suppose, once the children entered the picture, she was given a permanently fulfilling relationship and role that can be reasonably expected to take her mind off of Reed and his neglect. And even before then, there was Ben and Johnny to sort of mother.

And of course, the view that any act of adultery lowers a woman, irrevocably, is exactly why flagship heroines will probably never engage in it. Leave the human character flaws to second stringers like Crystal the Inhuman and cast Sue in the role of the often domineering female whom we sometimes irritating in our own lives, but can't help being captivated by in the media (at least when she's a foxy superhero to boot). And don't let her do anything else aside from freaking out when someone captures her children or freaking out when her husband stops paying attention to his family, again, and starts designing superhero prisons.

That's all I see when I look at Sue Storm. She's a mother who's prone to fits of righteous indignation, and she also happens to be the most powerful member of the team because that's really progressive for a woman.

I'm not saying infidelity is the best way for this character to go, of course. The mere fact it would be so unpopular as to ruin entire runs on the series somewhat discourages anyone from trying it, and it's also one of those permanent things that nobody will ever really be able to forget about, unlike turning Superman into a '90s electric hero.

Personally, I'd rather see her and Reed go to marriage counseling.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    On what basis do you judge that it is an emotionally unsatisfying relationship?

Give me context and evidence to this point, because it seems like you are just making this up.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    it seems pretty conceivable that reed spends more time in his lab than he does either with his wife, kids, or sleeping (possibly combined).

thus, the relationship would be one of relatively little contact and emotional availability. theoretically.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Except for the fact that its been shown in the actual comics not to be the real case.

Does Reed get caught up in his science sometimes? Of course.

Does Sue sometimes feel the need to get away from family responsibility, almost undoubtedly.

Does Sue enjoy the attention she gets from Namor? Absolutley

Would she ever cheat on him?

NO FUCKING WAY

At least, before Civil War. The rift between them during that was genuine, although McDuffie has already put them back together.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    On what basis do you judge that it is an emotionally unsatisfying relationship?

Give me context and evidence to this point, because it seems like you are just making this up.

UntoldTalesOfSpider-ManAnn9604.jpg

UntoldTalesOfSpider-ManAnn9605.jpg

UntoldTalesOfSpider-ManAnn9606.jpg

It's not a great example, but this has pretty much been how Reed and Sue's relationship has been painted for as long as I've known the characters.

It's evolved past Sue simply getting depressed about it and going on dates out of spite, of course, since these days Reed's transgressions extend to jailing friends on top of neglect and Sue's responses now go so far as leaving him and joining the opposing army.

But even these days, all it really seems to take to fix things, on his part, is a romantic gesture on par with an interstellar honeymoon or exotic love plant from a parallel universe to smooth things over.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jesus, how old are those scans?

If I wasn't at work I could scan some stuff a little more recent that shows thier relationship has matured a bit.

Well, again, pre-Civil War.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's perfectly acceptable for us to have different ideas or why people cheat or, perhaps more accurately, what sort of person cheats, but I think we can at least both agree that the problems in Sue and Reed's relationship and subsequently their marriage is as much of a recurring plot point as Batman needing to soften up or Peter Parker worrying about Aunt May.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Just out of curiosity Hooray, have you read the Waid FF? Cause that to me is pretty much my ideal FF, thats how I see the characters.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jesus, how old are those scans?

If I wasn't at work I could scan some stuff a little more recent that shows thier relationship has matured a bit.

Well, again, pre-Civil War.

They're from the '90s, and it's a groovy Mike Allred flashback tale.

The simple fact that the storyline Allred chose to best capture the mood of classic Fantastic Four/Spider-Man hinges on Sue being dissatisfied with Reed, again, proves to me that that's the most prevalent interpretation of their relationship.

And because of this has been going on for so long, I want to see real consequences for a problem that's been around for decades and perhaps even some attempt to fix it so we can move on for at least a few years.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Just out of curiosity Hooray, have you read the Waid FF? Cause that to me is pretty much my ideal FF, thats how I see the characters.

See, that's probably why we're having this problem. You're attached to what you see as the definitive version of the team, with that arc being your ideal, whereas I'm looking at every incarnation of the team I've ever encountered as being an equally valid rendition and using recurring plot points found throughout the series' numerous runs to build my view of what the Fantastic Four is, overall.

Neither of us is wrong in the way we're approaching things, in my opinion.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When is the third trade for Knights of the Old Republic due out?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You didnt answer my question though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You didnt answer my question though

Not in its entirety. I wasn't reading comics during those years.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    A couple of nerdy/nitpicky points, which make me feel a little silly for pointing out:

1) Kurt Busiek wrote that Spider-Man Annual, not Allred. He just drew it.

2) It's an Untold Tales of Spider-Man Annual, which means it takes place at a point where Sue is almost a teenager. I don't even think she's engaged to Reed at that point, continuity-wise.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Except for the fact that its been shown in the actual comics not to be the real case.

Does Reed get caught up in his science sometimes? Of course.

Does Sue sometimes feel the need to get away from family responsibility, almost undoubtedly.

Does Sue enjoy the attention she gets from Namor? Absolutley

Would she ever cheat on him?

NO FUCKING WAY

At least, before Civil War. The rift between them during that was genuine, although McDuffie has already put them back together.

She has the hots for him or just enjoys teh attention, him for her, they kissed and hugged quite a few times, she´s slept at his place, he has slept at hers. Thats official.

Have they had sex? If we take MK FF into consideration, yes. If we dont take it in, maybe.

The Thing asked her once if she has betrayed Reed, she said no, but then a) Thing is Reed´s best friend and b) Alicia called her a liar.

Until Marvel confirms that she didnt, I´d say they had sex. But I cant say she actually cheated on him, although the amount of kissing does amount to unfaithfulness. And should Reed ever forget her, Namor is always there for her, no matter how long it takes.

BTW, love the ending of that Alred comic, again showing Namor and Sue... :lol:
    UntoldTalesOfSpider-ManAnn9622-1.jpg

See, that's probably why we're having this problem. You're attached to what you see as the definitive version of the team, with that arc being your ideal, whereas I'm looking at every incarnation of the team I've ever encountered as being an equally valid rendition and using recurring plot points found throughout the series' numerous runs to build my view of what the Fantastic Four is, overall.

Neither of us is wrong in the way we're approaching things, in my opinion.

Yep.

Classic early FF, after the wedding, had Reed ignore her quite often until Namor came back. Byrne´s run had Sue´s being left alone be a cause for her to become a villain. Civil War? Reed ignores her for a theory.

It doesnt make Sue bad, if she did have sex with Namor, or just kissed and played poker while sleeping over at his place, it just shows that even though Reed may be flawed, and she has the world´s most powerful leader at her feet, their love still is strong enough for them to return together.

Jesus, I cant believe I posted something about love... will go ff to kick a puppy to offset the nice.

JCM on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can anyone remember the name of a small press or indie comic. Gyashushuaku or something like that, it was in black in white, had a guy in bandages fighting vampires or something with swords?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Look, the point is that no matter what Reed does, Sue still loves him, and he loves her. He's just totally socially inept.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can anyone remember the name of a small press or indie comic. Gyashushuaku or something like that, it was in black in white, had a guy in bandages fighting vampires or something with swords?

"Gyakushu!" by Dan Hipp.

Munch on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why is Paul Pope considered the shits, when he only published a very limited number of comics?

muninn on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The quality of his work perhaps?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Munch wrote: »

"Gyakushu!" by Dan Hipp.

Awesome. Thanks, Munch.

Paul Pope has a very awesome style, and I have enjoyed everything he has created. I have read most of his stuff, but not all of it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh gods, Runaways is making the past of mutants even more complicated. Also, if they meet Wolvie, I'll be pissed.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Are Molly and Franklin Richards supposed to be the same age?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How old is Franklin now? Molly's 11-12.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I don't even know.

And Molly could very well be getting younger, since she's acting like it.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Molly just acts young so she gets attention. Or at least, that's the running theory. And she seems to acknowledge it and stopped in issue 17 (volume 2)

Visual proof:
    RunawaysV2017page21.jpg

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Since Whedon got a hold of her, it seems like she's started acting young in earnest.

And I love Whedon to death, but someone needs to tell him that intentionally making mistakes with grammar isn't cute anymore.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.