As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ASK ME NOT, WHIPPY: THE THREAD (General Comics Questions Thread)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Umbrella Academy is fucking awesome, but yeah that's crazy.

august on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Did Ale Garza fall in a coma? He's one of my five favorite artists but his solicited Teen Titans arc has never happened (he got replaced with Eddy Barrows for some unknown reason) and his run on Supergirl was short. I loved how he drew her since he made her actually look 17 and her hair was like a scene girl which was uber-hot. Just wondering where he disappeared to...he talks about his band on his Myspace maybe he's focusing on that but if anyone knows something else could you let me know?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Did Ale Garza fall in a coma? He's one of my five favorite artists but his solicited Teen Titans arc has never happened (he got replaced with Eddy Barrows for some unknown reason) and his run on Supergirl was short. I loved how he drew her since he made her actually look 17 and her hair was like a scene girl which was uber-hot. Just wondering where he disappeared to...he talks about his band on his Myspace maybe he's focusing on that but if anyone knows something else could you let me know?

Whatever happened to Ale Garza was a godsend to Teen Titans. His one big issue was about as inconsistent looking as a current day Scott McDaniel book.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was selling some comics on ebay lately...essentially anymore I try to sell runs as soon as I start to get stuff thats more than a year old piling up. So I was selling some One Year Later lots and started to make my head hurt by trying to figure out lost year timelines. Am I thinking of Nightwing's timeline right? One month spent recovering from Anti-Matter Blast, 3-4 months training with Bruce & Tim, comes back to Gotham for Christmas, rescues Black Lightning and fakes the Outsiders' deaths, then stops the Fire Pit explosions....Am I doing that right?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i grow tired of seeing them.

quickly, find something of entertainment to go back and replace those triplicate posts with.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Dups taken care of

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just finished Transmet OH GOD IT ENDED SO GOOD

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I just finished Transmet OH GOD IT ENDED SO GOOD

"One percent."

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So I mainly just follow super-hero comics and due to how much I disliked Garth Ennis' Marvel Knights Punisher and Warren Ellis' work on UFF and smug attitude in general I've never read Preacher, Transmetropolitan, and lots of other 'classic' non-superhero comics. What would the board recommend I read first?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    have you read Y: The Last Man

you should read Y: The Last Man

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    No I've never read any of it. I guess I tend to let personal biases against creators sort of control what I do and don't read. I just can't get around that statement that Vaughan made that all comic book writers should write super-hero comics for a couple of years to get all their 'bad stories out of their system' so that they can write good stuff like creator-owned comics. That statement REALLY BOTHERED ME and I get tired of hipster folks who claim they like comics but the only comic they seem to know the existence of is Y. However, I've liked the opinion of this board for the most part so I might try out some Y. Its ending in January isn't it?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yes

and Vaughn loves superheros and writes great superhero stuff.

so you shouldnt hate him

or I will destroy you

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Don't destroy me. Well he certainly didn't act like he liked them when he says things like that. I guess because when I was getting my English degree I had to read so many obscure unheard of authors that I'm almost naturally inclined to avoid indie and non-traditional comics. I did get Fables volume 1-3 for Christmas from my uncle. Maybe I'll read those soon. Ohhh and is it evil for me to HATE HATE HATE HATE The Boys with an undying passion?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fables is awesome you should read that too.

And no thats a natural reaction because The Boys is awful

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I think you're mixing Vaughn up with someone else.

I know Ellis said a statement similar to the "Bad Stories" one.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yeah I didnt think BKV had said that either because I know the dude loves superheros.

But I wasn't sure.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Perhaps I did mix them up. I read the first trade of The Boys in a bookstore while waiting for a friend one day. It was even worse than I thought thankfully I never spent money on it. Its one of those things though that even though I hate it I still flip through it on the shelf every time it comes out. I think I'm just into torturing myself. So does anyone have any thoughts on DMZ? That series always looked kind of interesting to me.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »

Yeah, Vaughan's not really anti-superhero.
    It was a great opportunity, but at the end of the day I still would've been writing Cloak And Dagger adventures or finding a way to reinvent Iron Fist. I love those characters. I'm not a superhero snob. I love that stuff and I never begrudge a guy-I'm so grateful for Ultimate Spider-Man because I feel like if and when I have kids I have a Spider-Man that I can show them. So yeah, I think that's important work, but it's just not necessarily what I'm best at. You and I both revere Stan Lee and I just feel like I would rather honor Stan by creating new things like he did than by telling more stories with his characters.

His main beef with the industry, and this is touched on in the quote above, is that so many comic authors are content to just work with other writer's characters for their whole careers without creating anything new, or giving back. This is the dominant theme in his Escapists book. Which is ironic, since he was using another writer's character for that, albeit only in a tangential way. Still, he's hardly the only one with that sentiment. Erik Larsen wrote a terrific, extremely scathing open letter criticizing the comic industry for endlessly recycling characters and stories.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I read the Erik Larsen letter before. I understood his point perfectly I just thought that it was a sort of funny point to be made by a guy who's been working on the same character for the last 15 years and everytime he'd work on other concepts he'd draw them in an older style without ever giving them any uniqueness (i.e. his runs on Defenders and Nova). But at the end of the day I do think there are some genuinely snobbish unlikeable people working in the comic book industry which isn't surprising since it is the entertainment industry. But back to my questions on new things to read....opinions on DMZ?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Blankspace wrote: »

Yeah, Vaughan's not really anti-superhero.
    It was a great opportunity, but at the end of the day I still would've been writing Cloak And Dagger adventures or finding a way to reinvent Iron Fist. I love those characters. I'm not a superhero snob. I love that stuff and I never begrudge a guy-I'm so grateful for Ultimate Spider-Man because I feel like if and when I have kids I have a Spider-Man that I can show them. So yeah, I think that's important work, but it's just not necessarily what I'm best at. You and I both revere Stan Lee and I just feel like I would rather honor Stan by creating new things like he did than by telling more stories with his characters.

His main beef with the industry, and this is touched on in the quote above, is that so many comic authors are content to just work with other writer's characters for their whole careers without creating anything new, or giving back. This is the dominant theme in his Escapists book. Which is ironic, since he was using another writer's character for that, albeit only in a tangential way. Still, he's hardly the only one with that sentiment. Erik Larsen wrote a terrific, extremely scathing open letter criticizing the comic industry for endlessly recycling characters and stories.

That was also a big driving force behind Runaways, he wanted to create original characters for the Marvel universe that would stick around and become part of the ongoing legacy there.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Guys. I am totally sick of this "I won't read this book because such and such a character is lame" or "I'm not touching that because I hate that writer"

It is all about the good stories, regardless of the characters or the writer. Just as characters can be used for exciting stories or boring ones, writers can do their best work or pay rent.

Basically, stop judging shit based on unreliable indicators: if people here tell you it is good, it is good.

On that note I feel compelled to mention that most of the people here who don't dig on Warren Ellis' recent shit feel this way because of how poorly it compares to his really good earlier stuff like Transmet. Likewise Frank Miller gets a lot of hate because it turned out that really good shit he made his name with was in fact all he's capable of, with everything since a reworking of the same stuff.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    well I'd argue that wether or not you've like a writer's past stories is usually (not always) a good indicator of whether you will like other stuff by the same guy.

I've liked 100% of BKV stuff I've read

I've liked 90% of Bendis stuff I've read

I've liked very little of the Ellis stuff I've read

I've liked nothing of Ennis that I have read.

Thus I'm much more likely to read something by the first 2 than the later 2.

Also everyone in this thread needs to go to the nominations thread and make some fucking nominations

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    Guys. I am totally sick of this "I won't read this book because such and such a character is lame" or "I'm not touching that because I hate that writer"

It is all about the good stories, regardless of the characters or the writer. Just as characters can be used for exciting stories or boring ones, writers can do their best work or pay rent.

Basically, stop judging shit based on unreliable indicators: if people here tell you it is good, it is good.

Some writers are hit and miss, but Judd Winick has been consistently shitty with his mainstream super-hero material (his kid-related stuff like Barry Ween and Juniper Lee have actually been quite awesome), and I've been burnt by him so many times, that I have a perma-ban on buying anything super-related with his name on it.

Squashua on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The only thing by Ellis that I've out-and-out hated was DV8. Just fucking awful, that was.

Ultimate Extinction was a bit of a let-down, I guess. And those weird-ass Apparat things were kinda hit-and-miss.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Also everyone in this thread needs to go to the nominations thread and make some fucking nominations

Eh. It's essentially going to be the big DC events vs. the big Marvel events. I mean, I could go nominate Guy Davis for Best Artist but like three people here read BPRD.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I read BRPD

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Dude I know. It's like you and two other guys. Maybe.

august on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Reading New X-Men, the Grant Morrison run, I actually found myself agreeing with his assessment of the Magneto character. I haven't read too many Magneto stories, though, so I'm wondering if there are any books that will redeem the character in my eyes by portraying something more than a man with silly ambitions bearing ideas of genetic superiority which, ironically, bear a close resemblance to the ideas which fueled the Nazi movement he so loathes.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Plus the whole thing was
    Magneto was fucking high and being manipulated by Sublime the whole time. But Claremont went out of his way to make Magneto more of a Malcom X instead of Hilter. So you know... using him that way is a matter of taste. I don't think he had much use to Morrison in that regard, though. He needed someone to define the X-Men against. The one thing that weirded me out was: Morrison claims up and down that there never was a real Xorn: which is fine, but he never does anything with the whole Magneto hearing Xorn in his head and everyone just not getting that he wasn't real. It's like good having more intrinsic reality than evil. And it went nowhere. As a writer, I would have had a field day with the concept after Morriosn was gone, but they pretty much wasted it.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yeah the Magneto toward the end of Morrisson's run was wacked out on kick much like Beast during Here Comes Tomorrow

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Except
    not fully possessed, obviously.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    do we really have to spoiler stories that are like 6 years old and have been for the most part retconned away?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I do, apparently.

If only because someone might read it because they're a Morrison fan and not an X-Men fan. So you know. They probably wouldn't want to know everything that happens.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I still think Morrison's run is a little overrated. There are a lot of ideas in it I liked, but a lot of stuff that didn't work for me. It's a shame there was that short period of time where Austen had complete control over the X-books because they could have transitioned out the stuff they didnt want to keep a little smoother rather than him just shitting all over it.

I mean its impossible to tell if Austen even read Here Comes Tomorrow. If he did he clearly didnt fucking understand it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Black Summer, Doktor Sleepless, Thunderbolts, Crecy and Fell are, IMO, on par with any of Ellis' other works. Blackgas was an entertaining read, but of lesser quality. Haven't read Wolfskin yet. Desolation Jones is up there as well, but it's not exactly recent. I did recently read somewhere that Ellis should be going monthly with Desolation Jones in 08 but we'll see if that happens.

emutheelf on
    Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I hated Black Summer and didnt think Thunderbolts was anything special.

I havent read any of the others you mentioned though.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I like Thunderbolts....I'm wondering where the Heck Ellis is pulling some of those obscure characters from...since this is a question thread? Does anyone know who any of those psychics are in the current arc? Also, did it bug anyone else that Bullseye got his ass kicked by a guy I've never heard of called American Eagle?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    emutheelf wrote: »
    Black Summer, Doktor Sleepless, Thunderbolts, Crecy and Fell are, IMO, on par with any of Ellis' other works. Blackgas was an entertaining read, but of lesser quality. Haven't read Wolfskin yet.

I agree fully, except Black Summer is not quite as good. It's good, but not the best.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When are we getting new Runaways? WHEN!?!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    January 23.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
This discussion has been closed.