As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers - Movie (Bogey <3'd it!)

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Six wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    This movie was terrible. Fuck all of you guys for misleading me.

If I wanted to see a subpar awkward teen comedy, I'd go see fucking superbad. There were so many human characters that none of them got any time to develop except spike. Everyone else just came off as a cliched action movie role: the code cracker, the basement hacker, the crack team of token ethnic army guys and their leader who's racing home to see his daughter for the first time, the bad guy in charge of the secret government agency, the out-of-the-loop pentagon dude, the dorky kid, and the out-of-his-league love interest.

Thank god the Brooklyn guy who only talked about baseball was disposed of quickly...

The transformers were almost an afterthought, and none of them had really any backstory at all except for "We're robots who've come to get back our robo-god-thing before our evil general guy gets it." Jazz said one full line in the entire fucking movie. Most of the decepticons said none, and Starscream was hardly present as well.

So basically you wish the movie was 5 hours. I agree.

No, I wish the movie focused on the fucking transformers instead of on 12 different fucking humans with the transformers thrown in as an afterthought.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really liked it. It was a fun movie.

That's pretty much all I have to say. It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »
    I really liked it. It was a fun movie.

That's pretty much all I have to say. It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it.

It will sit nicely in my pantheon of fun actiony movies I can watch any time that dont take themselves too seriously. The Mummy, Pirates 1, The 5th Element, etc.

Good times.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm going today to see if I can go ahead and buy tickets for the 8 pm July 2nd showing. Edit: Just called, they have plenty.

I now have the Bumblebee, Barricade and Ironhide movie toys.

I also found all these babies (along with about 20 more smaller ones I haven't identified yet) up in the attic last week when I was getting luggage down for my Disney trip.

g101.jpg

I

holy shit Shim

is that the one 200 dollar one whose name I cannot remember right now
    Wait what?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

If I wanted to see a subpar awkward teen comedy, I'd go see fucking superbad. There were so many human characters that none of them got any time to develop except spike. Everyone else just came off as a cliched action movie role: the code cracker, the basement hacker, the crack team of token ethnic army guys and their leader who's racing home to see his daughter for the first time, the bad guy in charge of the secret government agency, the out-of-the-loop pentagon dude, the dorky kid, and the out-of-his-league love interest.

Thank god the Brooklyn guy who only talked about baseball was disposed of quickly...

The transformers were almost an afterthought, and none of them had really any backstory at all except for "We're robots who've come to get back our robo-god-thing before our evil general guy gets it." Jazz said one full line in the entire fucking movie. Most of the decepticons said none, and Starscream was hardly present as well.

No, I wish the movie focused on the fucking transformers instead of on 12 different fucking humans with the transformers thrown in as an afterthought.

There was a solid half hour of transformers blowing shit to pieces, yeah it was an afterthought.

Did you really want to see american beauty or did you want to go see explosions and giant robots? I went for the later and that's exactly what I got.

Blake T on
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Despite the fact that I loved this movie a lot I do agree that the actual Transformers were a tad underused, but with the knowledge that a sequel is already being put into pre-production I'm not that bent about it. Whenever the robots were on screen I did not feel like my time was being wasted.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going today to see if I can go ahead and buy tickets for the 8 pm July 2nd showing. Edit: Just called, they have plenty.

I now have the Bumblebee, Barricade and Ironhide movie toys.

I also found all these babies (along with about 20 more smaller ones I haven't identified yet) up in the attic last week when I was getting luggage down for my Disney trip.

g101.jpg

I

holy shit Shim

is that the one 200 dollar one whose name I cannot remember right now
    Wait what?

Probbly Jetfire. He's pretty rare.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've been meaning to clean Jetfire up. In Robot mode his age shows a lot more, I should have time this week. I just need to find good ways to clean up and fix some of them.

Edit: I also have Shockwave G1 in near perfect condition aside from his damn leg being broken off.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had a jetfire. Thousands of years ago.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    By the way, for those of you going to see it, don't stay until completely after the credits, but stay pretty far into the credits.

You see...
    Starscream transform and fly into space. Seeeequel

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    By the way, for those of you going to see it, don't stay until completely after the credits, but stay pretty far into the credits.

You see...

GODDAM MY BLADDER AND HAVING TO PEE

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

You see...
    Yeah, at the end I kept turning to my brother and being like..
    Hey, what the fuck happened to Starscream? He was blowing up some jets but they never showed him getting killed. And then they showed him flying away... off to lead a new army of Decepticons for a sequel.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Hadji, what the fuck is wrong with you?

I just got back, this movie was fucking fantastic.

I mean, of course the humans are going to have a major part. It's a Hollywood movie, if you made a movie with no humans in it and 100% giant robots us fans would love it, but the population as a whole would be :|. If you went in expecting the humans to be layered and intricate characters you know nothing about Transformer's history of human supporting characters.

The transformers were not an afterthought by any stretch of the imagination. The first half was setting up the Transformers appearing and setting up their basic backstory. Then it was all about preparation for the final battle and said awesome battle. Jazz had much more than 1 line, and of course some of the Decepticons had bit parts, there were 8 of them, pair that with the 5 Autobots and you've got an awful lot of character development/fleshing out to fit into a 2 and a half hour movie. Even then, most Decepticons had pretty much one awesome part each, even if they had very few lines.
    Scorponok in the desert, Blackout in the base, Starscream destroying the jets, Bonecrusher's duel with Prime, Brawl fucking up Ratchet/Ironhide and the military, Frenzy's Airforce One escapades, Megatron's battle with Prime and Barricade's chase with Bumblebee.

Really, this was a fun-as-hell fantastic action movie starring my favorite giant robots ever.

I would have enjoyed it much more if my friend was pointing out plot holes and saying how stupid it was. Were you expecting Macbeth? What part of "Giant robots from space that turn into cars and beat the shit out of other giant robots from space" did you not get?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

You see...
    Hey, what the fuck happened to Starscream? He was blowing up some jets but they never showed him getting killed. And then they showed him flying away... off to lead a new army of Decepticons for a sequel.
    ALL HAIL KING STARSCREAM!

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

You see...
    ALL HAIL KING STARSCREAM!
    As awesome as that prospect is, I'm much more excited about Tom DeSanto saying that he really wants to(and has an idea on how to fit them in logically) put the Dinobots and Constructicons in Transformers 2.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    i was pretty excited about seeing this but i wasn't really blown away by it.
    not as much as i was by the trailer anyway.
    why did they let
    optimus prime get his ass kicked so badly?

Drano on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Drano wrote: »
    why did they let
    Because
    Megatron was bigger, meaner and better equipped.

Plus, Prime had just finished fighting off Bonecrusher.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    why did they let
    Because

AND CUTTING OFF HIS FUCKING HEAD

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    why did they let

Yeah Prime didn't even get the killing shot. That made me sad :(

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Theres a lot more to this movie than meets the eye.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    why did they let
    Because

AND CUTTING OFF HIS FUCKING HEAD
    With the Energon Axe! That was one of my favorite moments.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Oh no you didn't

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lots of cheezy bits and ridiculous plot stretches, and it has that stupid Hanz Zimmer (or whoever did it this time) score that every single Michael Bay movie has.

Okay, first of all, Hans Zimmer fucking rules. Do not diss the man.

Secondly, no it was not Zimmer who did the soundtrack for the film. I never heard of him before.

The movie was fantastic.

I have some minor quibbles but nothing major. Boo-hoo the Decepticons didn't get many lines. Yeah well they didn't fucking speak English, and what were they supposed to do, read you their tech specs? Christ they are a bunch of bad guy alien robots who are trying to kill us all, they aren't going to make small talk.

Decepticons who could return in a sequel:

Scorponok. He was damaged but functioning when he fled underground.

Barricade. Never see him in the final fight at all.

Starscream. Duh.

Megatron. "Oh but he was killed." Man, the Allspark just juiced him up into Galvatron, okay? He wasn't nearly as fucked up as Brawl or Blackout.

Bonecrusher is a lost cause. Dude bought it. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Oh no you didn't

actually, theres not.

Theres not much more than what meets the eye at all.

Your eyes cover it pretty well. Dont have to use your pesky brain, which would probably tell you the movie was retarded.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    why did they let
    Because

it was just kind of a sour way to end the movie for me.
    though yeah that part was cool.

Drano on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Lots of cheezy bits and ridiculous plot stretches, and it has that stupid Hanz Zimmer (or whoever did it this time) score that every single Michael Bay movie has.

Secondly, no it was not Zimmer who did the soundtrack for the film. I never heard of him before.
    I really liked the soundtrack.

I mean, orchestral when there should be orchestral and rocking guitar when there should be rocking guitar.

Bumblebee's use of radio was fucking excellent as well.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I really liked the soundtrack.

I mean, orchestral when there should be orchestral and rocking guitar when there should be rocking guitar.

Bumblebee's use of radio was fucking excellent as well.

That was one of my favorite parts of the movie.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bumblebee was pretty much my favorite Transformer in the movie.

I mean, everyone loves Optimus and Megatron of course, but Bumblebee was so good. Actually, pretty much all of the Autobots were awesome.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    was it just me or did the terminator 2 theme music start playing at one point?

Drano on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    was it just me or did the terminator 2 theme music start playing at one point?
    I'm pretty sure that there was some Da Vinci Code in there as well.

In addition to the obvious Kill Bill bit.

They borrowed quite a lot of music.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    BumbleBee and Ironhide have always been my favorite Autobots not named Optimus Prime.

I was happy to see they were also my favorite Autobots in this movie. Especially near the beginning of the movie I loved
    Bumblebee trying to hook Sam up

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, I forgot to mention, but not only was the movie fucking fantastic.

I won a free copy of Transformers the video game on the platform of my choice, compliments of the local Gamestop.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BumbleBee and Ironhide have always been my favorite Autobots not named Optimus Prime.

I was happy to see they were also my favorite Autobots in this movie. Especially near the beginning of the movie I loved
    Bumblebee trying to hook Sam up

Any moment that they tried to make Sam look funny worked Flawlessly. Everything was so cheesy but so hillarious.
    Especially the father hi5ing him when he saw Megan Fox in the room

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That's awesome about winning the game.

Except for the fact that I blame the 360 game for breaking my Xbox.

The game froze a few times last night and then I tried it this morning and got the 3 red lights after the system worked flawlessly for 11 months.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That's probably not the game. It's just the 360. People blame games all the time for it because they just happen to be the ones that they are playing when the system dies.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh I know it's not the game, I tried Gears and it froze too and then I got the red lights.

I just wanted something to blame.

I'm not even that angry about it. I knew it was going to happen eventually and I had an ext'd warranty so I don't have to pay anything at all. System should be back by the time NCAA 08 comes out so I'm happy.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well

There's always communism.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did I miss something, or
    did Barricade just fucking disappear after the Bonecrusher chase? We never saw him die, did we?

Green on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also
    :cry:

Jazz, we hardly knew ye.

I even bought your toy.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Green wrote: »
    Did I miss something, or
    did Barricade just fucking disappear after the Bonecrusher chase? We never saw him die, did we?
    Wasn't just you.
    I imagine he'll factor into the sequel, it showed Starscream returning to space, I would assume Barricade just returned to hiding.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
This discussion has been closed.