As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cloverfield (mystery movie trailer in front of transformers)

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    So, it's Blair Witch Project...only with a monster attacking a city.

Greeeeeat.

_J_ on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I dunno if I want to see a shaky ass movie with poor sound quality (I realize that link is shitty, I mean actual filming etc). I didn't like the Blair Witch thing too much.

If they had professional sound and kept the shit from shaking too much then I guess it might be okay.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    I dunno if I want to see a shaky ass movie with poor sound quality (I realize that link is shitty, I mean actual filming etc). I didn't like the Blair Witch thing too much.

If they had professional sound and kept the shit from shaking too much then I guess it might be okay.

The sound quality in the trailer on youtube wasn't poor.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have no faith in the writer. Like, at all.

Just based on those involved so far it seems like a new franchise.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »

Depends which trailer you watch. The first one I found was an internal cam.

Gorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Gorak wrote: »

Depends which trailer you watch. The first one I found was an internal cam.

I meant the link to the trailer a couple posts up from my original by emerlmaster999.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    I have no faith in the director. Like, at all.

I have no idea who the director is. Do you?

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    I have no faith in the director. Like, at all.

I have no idea who the director is. Do you?

Oh shit, I meant to say writer.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1206844/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/

It just seems like everyone attached or rumored to be attached to the project so far has been part of alias/angel/lost/buffy.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Aaaaand?

Buffy and Angel were both good shows.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Buffy was, and that was probably because of Whedon.

I think Angel is shit.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I think Angel is shit.

Angel was better than Buffy, especially in later seasons. Whedon didn't write past...season 3? 4? I don't recall.

Neither one was riveting genius, of course.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I think Angel is shit.

The eps Goddard wrote for Buffy were after Whedon left. He won the Hugo for Conversations with Dead People.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

I think Angel is shit.

The eps Goddard wrote for Buffy were after Whedon left. He won the Hugo for Conversations with Dead People.

He's also written for Angel, Alias, and Lost. I dislike all of these shows a great deal. I'm just saying, the cloverfield trailer looks awesome but I was surprised to see of the few names attatched to it (maybe two at this point?) are both from series I can't stand.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I saw this trailer as well before Tformers and went 'oh shit, Godzilla'!

It could just be a 'random monster' thing, but the two major hints I took from it was.

a. The guy going away was headed for Tokyo.

b. It's set in New York, as was the prior US Godzilla, and we KNOW that one of the eggs survived at the end.

So, it's either a sequel, or a completely unrelated monster movie.

I hope to hell it's not a Lost movie.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If all this hype and good marketing is for a Godzilla sequel.... Motherfuck the film industry. So hard.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I, fool that I am, was just about entertaining the thought that the trailer was for Watchmen. Hope faded. But it still looks interesting.

Not to derail, but I gotta say the one (before Transformers, that is) that really hit home for me was I Am Legend.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If it's just a one-shot, I'll go see it in the theater. If it's part of a series, fuck that. I burned out on Lost a long damned time ago.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    I think he's saying "it's alive", not "it's a lion".
    Maybe it's Voltron?

http://latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=65
    D:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Lanz wrote: »
    Maybe it's Voltron?

D:

Now is it just me or, despite the reviewer's opinion, does the description of the Voltron script make it sound like an absolute piece of shit?

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    TylerXKJ wrote: »
    Maybe it's Voltron?

D:

Now is it just me or, despite the reviewer's opinion, does the description of the Voltron script make it sound like an absolute piece of shit?
    We meet our main hero KEITH KOGAN (30s) – tattoos all over his chest and arms, various icons from a life long since past. Tough. A reluctant leader. This is not a guy who plays well with others. He’d rather run through fire than do what you told him to.
    KEITH KOGAN (30s) – tattoos all over his chest and arms, various icons from a life long since past. Tough. A reluctant leader. This is not a guy who plays well with others. He’d rather run through fire than do what you told him to.

Allura disappears into the compound with one of the blue keys, and when she remerges on page 36, she does so in a giant fucking machine in the shape of a colossal, 50 foot tall Lion, assembled entirely out of Earth bound parts. A C-130H tailgate has been used for the mouth, complete with traffic spikes for the teeth. The glass dome of an A6E Intruder cockpit has been soldered onto the head. All of this stands on top of four legs, refashioned from four construction excavator claws.

It’s called a LIONBOT. A hack-assembled masterpiece. A mech you can build in your backyard.
    It’s safe to say that the lionbot tears the Robeast’s fucking head off and whups it’s ass.

D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone else thing "OMG Evangelion?!" when they heard the deep growls and explosions? I was really excited, for a few minutes anyways.
    Oh God, my friend thought the same thing. Though we'd have heard about it if they'd actually started making an Eva movie beyond the conceptual phase.

Of course... the best way to market Evangelion in the States would be not to tell anyone what it's actually about for a while.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    With a release date of 1/18/08 it can't be godzilla. No studio would dump a license like that in January.

If it is a monster movie, then the monster will be a new creation. Maybe 1/18/08 is the name of the movie.

yakul on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yakul wrote: »
    With a release date of 1/18/08 it can't be godzilla. No studio would dump a license like that in January.

If it is a monster movie, then the monster will be a new creation. Maybe 1/18/08 is the name of the movie.

not to mention Toho said Final Wars would be the last Godzilla film for a while.

and I doubt we'd see another US Godzilla.

Toho summed up their thoughts on US Godzilla really well

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Furu on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yakul wrote: »

not to mention Toho said Final Wars would be the last Godzilla film for a while.

and I doubt we'd see another US Godzilla.

Toho summed up their thoughts on US Godzilla really well

God I love Final War more than I should

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Won't you all be surprised when this turns out to be live action Akira.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Its the Avengers movie, duh.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aaaaand?

No, no they were not.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Aaaaand?

No, no they were not.

I guess I should have put an "I thought" in there because then this happens.

Furu on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It isn't a Voltron movie, that's for sure. I did some scouring about this last night, and it's definetly a giant monster movie. Question is if it's just some monster they made up or if it's Godzilla or the like.

I know, I know. Godzilla might be farfetched, but the obvious clues of Tokyo and New York really play in my head when I think about it. Plus fire? Typical Zilla.

I did like the idea of the live Eva movie, hadn't though of that but...that seems even more farfetched that no one would have caught wind of it in any way.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It looks like Signs 2:We've replaced the lame aliens with lame explosions. I find it really hard to believe people are getting excited about this.

Rook on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    It looks like Signs 2:We've replaced the lame aliens with lame explosions. I find it really hard to believe people are getting excited about this.

Signs was kinda good until it got Shyamalan'd with that religious crap.

If this movie generates tension like the half-glimpsed alien scenes - specifically the one they see on the news where an alien walks by the school and the kids all scream - then I will see it.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh jesus, say what you will about Signs but the alien at the birthday party bit is pretty fucking intense

Furu on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rook wrote: »

People are excited as much because we don't know what it is as much as the fact the concept has a lot of potential. A well done, human level view of pretty much any classic action/horror movie (monsters, alien invasion, what have you) isn't something that's really been done before and can be amazing.

Add to that the fact that what we do have was well done (as in it seemed real, and none of it was jarring) and I'm willing to be interested enough to want to see more. There's nothing more you can really ask for from a trailer.

werehippy on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »
    If it's just a one-shot, I'll go see it in the theater. If it's part of a series, fuck that. I burned out on Lost a long damned time ago.

This logic fails to make sense to me. If it is a movie that will never ever have a sequel you will watch it? However if there is the possibility of sequel you won't go see the original because.....I'm not sure? Lost? Wha?

Because Titanic was Terminator?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I haven't seen it in theaters yet but it still looked very intense just from watching it on youtube. Reminds me of War of the Worlds (new one) when the aliens first start attacking everything.

uberneko on
  • Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been hearing rumors lately that This game has something to do with the movie. As far as I know it's just speculation, but it does have the same kind of feel.

As far as what the movie itself is, I will pray every night that it's Eva. If it's not, I'd think I'd like to see an original giant monster, one that people are going to remember just from this movie. It seems like it's been awhile since we've gotten a new one.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »

This logic fails to make sense to me. If it is a movie that will never ever have a sequel you will watch it? However if there is the possibility of sequel you won't go see the original because.....I'm not sure? Lost? Wha?

Because Titanic was Terminator?

I don't see what's confusing. Lost is a muddied quagmire of stories that lead to nothing and go nowhere. I have no faith in Abrams' ability to not do the same thing with a movie.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shinyo wrote: »
    I've been hearing rumors lately that This game has something to do with the movie. As far as I know it's just speculation, but it does have the same kind of feel.

As far as what the movie itself is, I will pray every night that it's Eva. If it's not, I'd think I'd like to see an original giant monster, one that people are going to remember just from this movie. It seems like it's been awhile since we've gotten a new one.

Ok, somebody has to sit there and mouse over the star on the right then key in all those symbols on that ball.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    A planned trilogy also stretches the plot and what you get in the long run is something generally diluted in quality.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg