As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Circumcision does not reduce sensitivity

• Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What's the reason for circumcision again? To fit in with the norm? Religious?

So mostly silly none sense then?

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I'm also really curious as to the reasoning of the ancient peoples on this one. Was it a solution to some actual problem? Or did some guy get really high one day and decide to cut his penis and everyone else was like, 'hey, that's really neat, do me next'.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    recurs|on wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I really don't understand why anyone thinks genital mutilation of any kind is a good idea

I mean how did that even start? What would inspire the idea to chop off a bit of your cock?

God said to.

der

Really, it has much more to do with cultural and family pressure. Tossing the "why" question away with a "moldy old book" reference is way to simple. Circumcision is not nearly the strangest of the things groups of people do because they always have.

Yeah but that only explains why they do it now

There is always a reason for any cultural item's existence

Where the hell did circumcision come from?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Edit: Also, Eddy, it is genital mutilation. Mutilation does not have to impair function, it just has to damage or excise a part and disfigure in an irreparable fashion.

If doctors can turn a penis into a vagina, I'm willing to bet they can graft foreskin onto a penis if someone really wants one. Hell, they can probably add foreskin to your earlobe if you really wanted it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Edit: Also, Eddy, it is genital mutilation. Mutilation does not have to impair function, it just has to damage or excise a part and disfigure in an irreparable fashion.

If doctors can turn a penis into a vagina, I'm willing to bet they can graft foreskin onto a penis if someone really wants one. Hell, they can probably add foreskin to your earlobe if you really wanted it.

Who the fuck really wants that? That is disgusting.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I really don't understand why anyone thinks genital mutilation of any kind is a good idea

I mean how did that even start? What would inspire the idea to chop off a bit of your cock?

God said to.

der

Really, it has much more to do with cultural and family pressure. Tossing the "why" question away with a "moldy old book" reference is way to simple. Circumcision is not nearly the strangest of the things groups of people do because they always have.

Circumcision predates recorded human history, with depictions in stone-age cave drawings and Ancient Egyptian tombs.[2] Theories include that circumcision is a form of ritual sacrifice or offering, a health precaution, a sign of submission to a deity, a rite of passage to adulthood, a mark of defeat or slavery, or an attempt to alter esthetics or sexuality.[3] Male circumcision is a religious commandment in Judaism, expected in Islam,[4][5] and customary in some Oriental Orthodox and other Christian churches in Africa. The decision freeing Christians from circumcision is recorded in Acts 15, so it is not prescribed by the major Christian denominations. Nor is it a requirement of the other great world religions.

*shrug* - Wikipedia. It's sourced, though.

Drez on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    My parents screwed up like half the decisions they made in my regards, so that's really not a really good comparison to make.

Intentionally limiting a child's choices in a long-term manner outside of things which are provably destructive is to be avoided.

Okay, I can get behind that reasoning. But, unless there is convincing research to suggest that circumcision is actually harmful, and unless my (eventual) wife has a really big problem with it, I'll most likely have my child circumcised because, well, I think that extra flap of skin is gross and I know I'm damn glad it was taken care of for me before I could talk. I don't want to have nightmares about someone snipping at my adult penis, and I don't want my child to deal with that either. :P

Plus, most of the girls I know prefer a circumcised penis. Most of the others don't care. I don't know any girl that prefers an uncircumcised penis.
    If something goes wrong during a baby's circumcision, the damage is usually far and away much worse than if it had gone wrong during an adult's circumcision. Add to that the fact that it's a completely unnecessary procedure whose "benefits" can be offset by simply cleaning the target area often and effectively, and voting against it should be a no brainer.

And if you think lopping off a piece of your manhood will make you more attractive, you're retarded; it retracts when the penis becomes erect. During sexual excitement it just looks like normal skin on the shaft of the penis. It might as well be invisible.

Hey, I'm not a girl, I only know what I'm told, dude. I don't walk around with my dick hanging out so, no, I don't think having a circumcised penis makes me "more attractive," but a majority of the girls I know that I've spoken to on the subject prefer a circumcised penis. I'll give you their numbers so you can call them retarded, if you like.

(I'm not really going to give you their numbers.)
    They are retarded though. The only time it would be apparent that the guy is un/circumcisized would be when they're flacid. When they're fully erect there's no difference. It's absurd and irrational.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    recurs|onrecurs|on procrastinator general Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well, either go look it up or just think creatively for more than half a second. I'll get you started by noting that a circumcised penis, relative to a circumcised one, could be seen as being in a permanent state of arousal. I doubt our fertility- and potency-worshipping ancestors failed to notice that.

recurs|on on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does circumcision increase or decrease risk of infection?

Having a skin makes for warm and moist, which bacteria loves.

Not having it gives exposure.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm cut. I don't remember it. It might have hurt, but whatever. I think mine wouldn't look as impressive if I wasn't cut.

I am against female genital mutilation though.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

One "theory" is that a foreskin makes it easier for women to get cervical cancer because of bacteria colonizing on the foreskin, but there is no sufficient proof to substantiate that theory, as far as I know.

Drez on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hygiene probably. It was a bit hard to keep clean back in those days and it IS easier to keep a cut penis clean than an uncut one. However, with the advent of showers, that reasoning is sort of like shaving your hair off because it's easier to keep clean.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Female circumcision is just malicious...

And it grosses me out.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I think we can all agree that female circumcision is monsterous and horrible.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

And it grosses me out.
    And male circumcision doesn't?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Well it started in a desert region. I think the idea was that if sand gets under that skin it causes irritation and infection so they just lopped it off and it became a religious thing from this practice much like raising pigs to eat pork isn't feasible when you're nomadic.

A buddy of mine that was an anthropology major in college said that indigenous peoples of Australia cut their peni down the top so it is similiar to an emus penis. Can anyone confirm that?

Fellhand on
  • Options
    silversh4d0wsilversh4d0w Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A close (non-religious) friend of mine chose to get circumcized late in life, at nearly 20.

He--now fully healed--prefers it, and says overall it made him more sensitive, because more of his head is exposed.

His girlfriend also likes it, and apparently he feels cleaner too.

So... what.

silversh4d0w on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

And it grosses me out.
    And male circumcision doesn't?

No.

It's the difference between clipping some useless foreskin and clipping off some of the labia. I can fully operate my penis happily and painlessly without my foreskin. A circumcised female, apparently, is forever uncomfortable/in pain while engaging in intercourse.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Counterpoint: No they don't.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    A close (non-religious) friend of mine chose to get circumcized late in life, at nearly 20.

He--now fully healed--prefers it, and says overall it made him more sensitive, because more of his head is exposed.

So... what.
    No doubt that's the result he was anticipating when he elected to do such a crazy thing.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

So... what.
    He made the decision for himself, though. That's the difference.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    I'll most likely have my child circumcised because, well, I think that extra flap of skin is gross and I know I'm damn glad it was taken care of for me before I could talk.

And you consider that this decision is in some way yours to make, despite it being permanent and possibly mentally scarring? You are presumably aware that many circumcised men are sufficiently appalled as to attempt to reverse the process at great time and expense. You're certain your future son won't be one of these? You're not doing your son a favour. You're taking a choice out of his hands because you find it "gross".
    Plus, most of the girls I know prefer a circumcised penis. Most of the others don't care. I don't know any girl that prefers an uncircumcised penis.

That's because you live in the states. Other countries take the opposite view, the UK for instance. So you've also made the decision that your future son is going to live in the United States his entire life, and not possibly move to another country where circumcision is unusual and taboo? Bearing in mind that while choosing to be circumcise is easy, choosing not to be after the operation is not.

Whatever. The American attitude towards this sickens me.

Tube on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    Hygiene probably. It was a bit hard to keep clean back in those days and it IS easier to keep a cut penis clean than an uncut one. However, with the advent of showers, that reasoning is sort of like shaving your hair off because it's easier to keep clean.

I was raised by my mother, who told me when I was young that I needed to retract my foreskin and clean it at least once a week. She assured me that this would become less and less of a hassle as I got older.

Looking back, I think my mum might be a slut.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I guess this is really nothing more than the 'don't eat pigs!' thing. It's too bad, pigs are delicious.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    silversh4d0wsilversh4d0w Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll most likely have my child circumcised because, well, I think that extra flap of skin is gross and I know I'm damn glad it was taken care of for me before I could talk.

And you consider that this decision is in some way yours to make, despite it being permanent and possibly mentally scarring? You are presumably aware that many circumcised men are sufficiently appalled as to attempt to reverse the process at great time and expense. You're certain your future son won't be one of these? You're not doing your son a favour. You're taking a choice out of his hands because you find it "gross".

That's because you live in the states. Other countries take the opposite view, the UK for instance. So you've also made the decision that your future son is going to live in the United States his entire life, and not possibly move to another country where circumcision is unusual and taboo? Bearing in mind that while choosing to be circumcise is easy, choosing not to be after the operation is not.

The reason it's done when in infancy is because:

It hurts fucking bad later in life, for a much longer period of time, and there's more of a chance for a mistake to be made.

I think most parents have this in mind. It's why they want their kids to have chicken pox while they're young, it's not like they're sadistic and evil.

silversh4d0w on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This country has a lot of crazy and backwards stances on many things. That we seem to prefer mutilated male genitalia doesn't surprise me.

I swear, sometimes I think our culture has the norms it does just to piss off the rest of the world.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, it was founded by crazy religious freaks.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Pretty much.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Yes, I do think it is my decision to make judgments, as a parent, about my child's future well-being. That was precisely my point. You and others disagree about the extent to which a parent should do that, and while I respect your position, I absolutely believe that the concept of male circumcision falls under that "parent's decision" umbrella.

No offense, but that's exceptionally melodramatic. If European/Asian girls are going to rebuff my future son because having a circumcised penis is unusual and taboo, then he is better off without them. Anyway, I've...had relationships with women of many non-American cultures (and I mean they spent most/all of their lives outside of America), and your claim is simply not true. I've never heard of a non-American breaking up with someone over foreskin.

Drez on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    ?

You have a piece of your skin removed.

That skin, thus, no longer exists.

Without that skin, there is no place for nerves to be.

Y..you understand how a penis works, right?

Like, the skin they cut off? Theres more stuff under there.

I swear

That's the point. It's like showing that people with one finger removed have the same sensation in the rest of their hand as everyone else. It's like, duh? You're still missing a finger.

Though come to think of it, a bloody stump is probably more sensitive anyway.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I was raised by my mother, who told me when I was young that I needed to retract my foreskin and clean it at least once a week. She assured me that this would become less and less of a hassle as I got older.

Looking back, I think my mum might be a slut.

You had to clean it once a week?

You should have had it removed in order to save yourself undue hassle.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This country has a lot of crazy and backwards stances on many things. That we seem to prefer mutilated male genitalia doesn't surprise me.

I swear, sometimes I think our culture has the norms it does just to piss off the rest of the world.

Don't call my penis mutilated. I find that really offensive.
    You go up to the handicapped and call them cripples?

Fellhand on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well, either go look it up or just think creatively for more than half a second. I'll get you started by noting that a circumcised penis, relative to a circumcised one, could be seen as being in a permanent state of arousal. I doubt our fertility- and potency-worshipping ancestors failed to notice that.

After actually doing research, it's inconclusive. The practice is far older than most.

It fits a number of symbolic and ritualistic parameters, sure, but how many other ancient, pre-historical rituals involve self-mutilation to that extent? How many involve cutting off not only a bit, but a very sensitive bit that is also part of something biologically vital and preprogrammed to be valued and protected? I have to wonder - probably unanswerably - not how someone could be dedicated enough to their beliefs to cut off their bits in the dawn of prehistory, but how it would catch on and be part of so many cultures.

The only thing I can think of that compares is body modification with neck-extenders and lip-stretchers and such, which is also really fucking weird. I'm not sure how old it is, but it probably goes back reasonably far. Thing is it's not as widespread, AFAIK.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »

Only the annoying ones.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Adrien wrote: »

Only the annoying ones.

Touche.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I don't know about your penis, but mine is certainly mutilated. And I've got the scars to prove it, too.

And I'd have no problem calling a handicapped person crippled, depending on what was wrong with them. Don't lump them all into the same category.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Crippled people are "cripples," though, and while I won't run up to them and point it out to them, the word "handicapped" annoys me to no end. The euphemization of English sickens me.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Crippled people are "cripples," though, and while I won't run up to them and point it out to them, the word "handicapped" annoys me to no end. The euphemization of English sickens me.

Sicko.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Like Stephen Hawking, for instance. He is a cripple. He also has a brilliant mind, and is a hundred times more intelligent than I, but he is a cripple. That's just what the goddamn word means.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Found it, they practice (or practiced, it appears to vary culturally). It's subincision.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Subincision is traditionally performed around the world, notably in Africa, Australia, South America and the Polynesian and Melanesian cultures of the Pacific, often as a coming of age ritual. The practice has been taken up in the western world in recent years for the purpose of sexual pleasure or aesthetics.

There now you know that the US aren't the only freaks.

Fellhand on
This discussion has been closed.