Options

Resident Evil 5 Controversy

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lets see...

Victims of media slaughter.

Germans - Countless WW2 games and Movies, Quite frankly I don't know how they put up with it.

Japanese - Countless WW2 games and movies (Based on the pacific conflicts)

Vietnamese - Not so many, but still dozens of Vietnam movies and games.

Russians - Cold war this, American invasion that KGB consipiracy up the ass video games and movies.

North Koreans - The newest "Bad guy" in alot of video games and Movies.

Middle Easterners - Gung ho games with middle easterners as "terrorists" always on masse and always gunned down easily. Feature in many films and video games as the bad guys.

Caucasian guys - The zombie, the drug dealer, the sleazy guy next door, the swedish bank robber, all media clich'es and standard fodder for shooting/blowing up/maiming ect ect, alot of which are especially knocked off in African American centric "Gangsta" films.

So... whats new?

Right now in Africa there are conflicts going on between Africans themselves. Tribal villages squabbling over territory, militia groups torching entire villages, gunfights and murders over opium and slavery. All real and happening right now. Anyone bitching? Nope. Just most of the world turning its eyes to whats going on. Aware, but just don't care.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    GertBeef wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Dammit, I knew this would happen. I really wish people would take the time to be educated about the things they protest.

That said, I think Capcom would be best off to throw in white enemies, at least in the early game. Make the opening fights set in an airport or something. Or a Red Cross aid building. Any place where they can justify a mixed group attacking you. Since previews are almost always of the opening areas, I think this would defuse any controversy. They've got til 2009 apparently, so I'm sure it'll work out in the end.

Actually, it's even more easy to stem this than that. All they need is some footage in there of Chris saving "good" Not_African black people from the zombies, and possibly oing work at the behest of people that need his help or something.

I'd be willing to bet 10-1 there's at least one bit where Chris is actively protecting or helping people in the game (in one form or another). There, situation diffused, Chris doesn't hate black people, he's just fighting a zombie infection yada yada yada the end.

But what if he was a flawed character that actually didn't like black people? Because then we are pretty much fucked.
    He can have a buddy who hates white people. It worked for John McClane.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Now if say for example, the main protagonist of RE1 or 2 was a North Korean or an Iranian special agent (but still a "Good Guy", honest, decent person like all heroes are supposed to be) caught up in a city where the archetypal Evil American megacorporation (Umbrella) unleashed a biohazard forcing said agent to kill dozens of zombified white Americans, Hellloooooooooo controversy. There's no doubt in my mind that similar minded people on the opposite side of the fence would be up in arms about it.

you really think that? Even if every person in the United States was white, I don't think we would over-react like this. There are plenty of FPS games out there where the goal is to kill American troops, and none have caused a stink.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Resident Evil 5. With Avengance.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Dammit, I knew this would happen. I really wish people would take the time to be educated about the things they protest.

That said, I think Capcom would be best off to throw in white enemies, at least in the early game. Make the opening fights set in an airport or something. Or a Red Cross aid building. Any place where they can justify a mixed group attacking you. Since previews are almost always of the opening areas, I think this would defuse any controversy. They've got til 2009 apparently, so I'm sure it'll work out in the end.

Actually, it's even more easy to stem this than that. All they need is some footage in there of Chris saving "good" Not_African black people from the zombies, and possibly oing work at the behest of people that need his help or something.

I'd be willing to bet 10-1 there's at least one bit where Chris is actively protecting or helping people in the game (in one form or another). There, situation diffused, Chris doesn't hate black people, he's just fighting a zombie infection yada yada yada the end.

But what if he was a flawed character that actually didn't like black people? Because then we are pretty much fucked.
    He can have a buddy who hates white people. It worked for John McClane.

And then they come to a grudging understanding and acceptance of each other in the end after having gone through it all together. Bonus points if guy is Samuel L. Jackson, because he naturally adds bonus points to anything.

subedii on
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, I called this when they first showed that trailer. Lets all just decide on one race we all hate and from now on all video games and movies involving death will depict that race being killed. Also, any time your character dies, he she will temporarily become a member of that race.

It's the only way.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Let's face it.

Resident Evil 5 is a very racist game. I can't even bear to play another Resident Evil after all the blatant racism that's appeared in the series.
    Zombies are people too! Well, undead ones. But people! With feelings! At least...they used to have feelings. They might still feel pain. And hunger I think. Just like me. And I'm not a zombie! Honest! I swear to God!

OH GOD LOWER THE GUN PLEASE NOOOOO...

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Now if say for example, the main protagonist of RE1 or 2 was a North Korean or an Iranian special agent (but still a "Good Guy", honest, decent person like all heroes are supposed to be) caught up in a city where the archetypal Evil American megacorporation (Umbrella) unleashed a biohazard forcing said agent to kill dozens of zombified white Americans, Hellloooooooooo controversy. There's no doubt in my mind that similar minded people on the opposite side of the fence would be up in arms about it.

you really think that? Even if every person in the United States was white, I don't think we would over-react like this. There are plenty of FPS games out there where the goal is to kill American troops, and none have caused a stink.

Over-react like this? We've got one African womans blog here.

And yes, I most certainly HAVE heard controversy about games like Battlefield 2 and CS allowing you play 'terrorists', the whole training and encouraging angle along with it. I've even seen news pieces on it, not just on the Murdoch machine, but even places like the BBC.

subedii on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    All the zombies should be celebrities.

nsfw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlBzA-Mv-q8

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    FrdztecFrdztec Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    Black zombies shamble like this.
    White zombies shamble like this.

Oh, oh snap.

Frdztec on
    sig-587082.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    All the zombies should be celebrities.

nsfw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlBzA-Mv-q8

I only ever watched the original, but now I HAVE to watch this film.

subedii on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would call this game racist if like it wasn't part fucking 5 of a series and the story didn't travel from the US to Europe to now African (or Haiti).

If it was a random game that just popped up out of nowhere and you were killing masses of black people, then I'd be like "huh!?" but it's not.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Quick, someone post the Castle Crashers protester audio clip.

Samphis on
  • Options
    baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm sure if someone really young did play the game and was encouraged to take that racist message from it that it would affect them in that manner.

I agree 100% and that's why we have age ratings. If you let a 12 year old boy shoot up rabid, black people for 8 hours, I can only imagine what that does to his mental image of black-skinned people.

And yeah, this is one blog on the internet!! OH NOES SOUND TEH ALARM, tomorrow's headline: "Handful of idiots get RE5 banned in North America".

baddman on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I IMPLORE you all to boycott this game! Stop the zombie oppression! We can co-exist peacefully with the humans!

Er, I mean with the zombies! We can! We just need to try!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    baddman wrote: »
    I'm sure if someone really young did play the game and was encouraged to take that racist message from it that it would affect them in that manner.

I agree 100% and that's why we have age ratings. If you let a 12 year old boy shoot up rabid, black people for 8 hours, I can only imagine what that does to his mental image of black-skinned people.

And yeah, this is one blog on the internet!! OH NOES SOUND TEH ALARM, tomorrow's headline: "Handful of idiots get hit by freak meteor, no-one cares".

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    I IMPLORE you all to boycott this game! Stop the zombie oppression! We can co-exist peacefully with the humans!

Sean of the dead cleary demonstrated this fact. I for one would happily give my shopping trolly to a zombie attendant to park.

subedii on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I had a dream where white zombie children and black zombie children played together.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Exactly. Has anyone ever played Dead Rising? The Americans (well, the government and the military at least) are portrayed as completely evil bastards who don't give a shit about the lives of an entire village and people if it could give them some money.

As for the topic on hand: Ridiculous. The only racism I saw came from that woman who seems to think black people aren't good enough to play some enemy roles in a videogame.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    I had a dream where white zombie children and black zombie children played together.

In then end, brains are not white, nor are they black, but a shade of grey that intermingles the two and makes for scrumptious meats. There is a lesson to be learned there.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

Exactly. Has anyone ever played Dead Rising? The Americans (well, the government and the military at least) are portrayed as completely evil bastards who don't give a shit about the lives of an entire village and people if it could give them some money.

Yeah, but that's OK since the main protagonist and good guy that the audience is relating to is an American Joe just trying to survive.

Like I said, there's no doubt in my mind that if it was a heroic and just Iranian battling against a horde of undead American White people (turned of course, by the greed of corporate America), you'd see the exact same comments cropping up on the other side of the fence, from the exact same types of people. I've already seen enough stick on the news just over Counter-Strike.

subedii on
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would call this game racist if like it wasn't part fucking 5 of a series and the story didn't travel from the US to Europe to now African (or Haiti).

If it was a random game that just popped up out of nowhere and you were killing masses of black people, then I'd be like "huh!?" but it's not.

Hold on...

You're saying that if a random game was set in Haiti or some African country and you were killing mostly black people in the game you'd call it racist? So, we can never have a game set in an African country (or asian, etc...) with out it being called racist? What about realism in the game? If the game is set in Africa there better damn well be black people there. :)

How about a game set in a mostly white neighborhood with a black protagonist? Is that racist? I'd say it's just as racist as a game where a white protagonist kills black people but you'd probably never hear the complaints about it.

How about GTA:SA? The parts of it that I played seemed to be pretty heavily racially stereotyped...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Yeah, but that's OK since the main protagonist and good guy that the audience is relating to is an American Joe just trying to survive.

Like I said, there's no doubt in my mind that if it was a heroic and just Iranian battling against a horde of undead American White people (turned of course, by the greed of corporate America), you'd see the exact same comments cropping up on the other side of the fence, from the exact same types of people. I've already seen enough stick on the news just over Counter-Strike.

I guess, but it would only come from 2-3 crazy morons. People would laugh it off just like we're laughing off this woman.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I guess, but it would only come from 2-3 crazy morons. People would laugh it off just like we're laughing off this woman.

THAT IS MY WHOLE... DAMN... POINT!!! :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Drez wrote: »

now if it were a zombie shooting other zombies.. then we'd be fine!

on that note, everyone go play Stubbs, which does a fine job in the line of zombie awareness.

edit: i really, honestly mean this as a genuine question, but if RE5 featured a black protagonist shooting these folk, would there be nearly as much worry over it?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As for the topic on hand: Ridiculous. The only racism I saw came from that woman who seems to think black people aren't good enough to play some enemy roles in a videogame.

Its not that she thinks black people aren't good enough to play enemy roles, but rather, the enemy roles aren't good enough for black people.

In conclusion, this is just some random blog that most of us would have never seen had GP not linked to it. I'm sure that someone prominent is going to call this game out as racist sooner or later. GP should have waited to report on that.

Dirty on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Saying that Re5 is racist is racist. You can kill white people, but you can't kill black people? Do you think black people don't turn into Zombies? Well let me tell you something, some of my best friends are black zombies!

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »

Hold on...

You're saying that if a random game was set in Haiti or some African country and you were killing mostly black people in the game you'd call it racist? So, we can never have a game set in an African country (or asian, etc...) with out it being called racist? What about realism in the game? If the game is set in Africa there better damn well be black people there. :)

How about a game set in a mostly white neighborhood with a black protagonist? Is that racist? I'd say it's just as racist as a game where a white protagonist kills black people but you'd probably never hear the complaints about it.

How about GTA:SA? The parts of it that I played seemed to be pretty heavily racially stereotyped...

Trying to throw words in my mouth eh? You can keep on trying, but it isn't working or helping your point.

GTA:SA is full of stereotypical thug life. Game isn't all that far off base on the outer shell.

Like I said, if a random developer just made a random game and you were in Africa just shooting black people it would raise my brow. I wouldn't care, but I would find it borderline racist.

A game with a black guy shooting white people? You know, it's only going to be racist depending on the context of the violence. Is he a cop? Are they drug dealers? Mafia men? Or are they poor hobos who tried to hit him with a stick? I think a lot of people are missing the fucking point of why people are calling this racist and I admit I missed this at first myself. There's two simple things really...

1. The game looks very realistic

2. Only people who've played RE know that they're zombies. To a layman, it just looks like a white guy shooting black people from an obviously poor village. They do not read as zombies especially the fact that there's a guy speaking a language on a megaphone... what zombie does this?

I can easily see why people would find it to be racist because they just don't know what RE is. If you didn't know what RE was, you'd think this game was racist too because not only is he shooting black people, but he's shooting poor black people in a small town that seem to be just defending their territory.

Instead of making fun of every damn thing for the sake of laughs, try looking at it from a different perspective. I don't agree that the game is racist, and even I called said people claiming it is stupid, but when you look at it at the POV of someone who knows nothing about RE... it really does look racist cause they don't come off as zombies at all.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Leitner wrote: »
    (I'm just going to guess where this read is going a post accordingly.)

There hasn't been a black villian in a Bond movie for years.

The last one had the African(?) Warlord and cronies. Not the main villains but defiantly a main bad guy.

IT'S DEFINITELY,NOT "Defiantly"!

Defiantly means "in a defiant manner".

Anyway, I obviously agree that RE5 is not racist... But it's really tasteless. Haiti is still in serious trouble, people there are still suffering a lot, the UN is still trying to pacify the country, and I think it's really bad taste to make a game about killing those people.

Concerning the accusations: This is either some really evil and cynical person, trying to call the media spotlights to herself, or some really sick individual... She really said that the game TRAINS people to HATE AND KILL black people? That's really fucking crazy talk.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't remember seeing black zombies in any other resident evil save that guy in RE2. I think the issue is that we haven't been able to shoot ENOUGH black people in RE until now.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Anyway, I obviously agree that RE5 is not racist... But it's really tasteless. Haiti is still in serious trouble, people there are still suffering a lot, the UN is still trying to pacify the country, and I think it's really bad taste to make a game about killing those people.

Meh. It'd only be tasteless if you were shooting random people and trying to keep help from reaching them. You're killing zombies in Haiti. This is not different than killing them in America or in Eastern Europe, at all, in any way, whatsoever.

Djiem on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ah-ha, me and the Sony rep at work were commenting on how Jesse Jackson would soon be all up ins this.

It's shame how it came out to be true.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    Saying that Re5 is racist is racist. You can kill white people, but you can't kill black people? Do you think black people don't turn into Zombies? Well let me tell you something, some of my best friends are black zombies!

Oh yeah?
    All my best friends are lesbian black jewish brazillian chinese zombie womyn.
    The curious thing is that you can probably find a black-jewish-chinese person in Brazil, if you really try.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There should be Equal Opportunity to shoot zombies of all races. What we need is zombie Affirmative Action and Zombie Quotas. That'd be fair.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Meh. It'd only be tasteless if you were shooting random people and trying to keep help from reaching them. You're killing zombies in Haiti. This is not different than killing them in America or in Eastern Europe, at all, in any way, whatsoever.

Any non-gamer who knows nothing about RE and watches the trailer only sees this.

Not EVERYONE knows what the hell Resident Evil is.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    She really shows her ignorance on the subject of video games with her statement about children and young adults. People who know nothing about games just assume that only people from the ages of 5-17 play games and no one else. Since they are adults and don't play video games, then no adults play video games. Very simple logic.

edit: I don't expect her to be knowledgeable on the subject of RE, but at least be aware that there are other game players aside from "the children."

Dirty on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think as long as the game has some positive black characters it will be fine.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »

Hold on...

Trying to throw words in my mouth eh? You can keep on trying, but it isn't working or helping your point.

GTA:SA is full of stereotypical thug life. Game isn't all that far off base on the outer shell.

Like I said, if a random developer just made a random game and you were in Africa just shooting black people it would raise my brow. I wouldn't care, but I would find it borderline racist.

A game with a black guy shooting white people? You know, it's only going to be racist depending on the context of the violence. Is he a cop? Are they drug dealers? Mafia men? Or are they poor hobos who tried to hit him with a stick? I think a lot of people are missing the fucking point of why people are calling this racist and I admit I missed this at first myself. There's two simple things really...

1. The game looks very realistic

2. Only people who've played RE know that they're zombies. To a layman, it just looks like a white guy shooting black people from an obviously poor village. They do not read as zombies especially the fact that there's a guy speaking a language on a megaphone... what zombie does this?

I can easily see why people would find it to be racist because they just don't know what RE is. If you didn't know what RE was, you'd think this game was racist too because not only is he shooting black people, but he's shooting poor black people in a small town that seem to be just defending their territory.

Instead of making fun of every damn thing for the sake of laughs, try looking at it from a different perspective. I don't agree that the game is racist, and even I called said people claiming it is stupid, but when you look at it at the POV of someone who knows nothing about RE... it really does look racist cause they don't come off as zombies at all.

Seems like you with this fictional game - just like the lady hating on RE5 - would need to figure out the context before getting all up in arms about it.

What if, in this fictional game where a white guy goes to Africa and ends up shooting black guys, there's a good reason as laid out in the game's narrative? Maybe he's the best there is, and the leader of one warring country hired him to stop his oppressive neighbor? In this case both sides of the conflict are comprised of primarily black people, but your character happens to be white, Asian, Hispanic, whatever, etc..

The simple act of shooting a pretend black person isn't racist. Even if they're not a zombie. Now, if the game was called "Black Man Hunter" or "Kill All These Black Guys" then you'd have a good reason to assume racism, but if it's called "Resident Evil 5" or "The Conflict" (or something that sounds better but could describe two warring nations that happen to be comprised of black people) then you just need to stand back and realize that it's okay for people to write stories where black people get shot. Just like it's okay to write stories where white people and Asians and Filipinos get shot.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Unicron wrote: »
    Did Jack Thompson just find a girlfriend?

Seriously though, I'd take this as about as seriously as I do him. People just like attention/webtraffic. Last week in the UK a pressure group tried to ban a 60+ year old book ->http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6294670.stm

Seeing as it's silly season I suppose this might get some attention but I'm pretty sure it'll be forgotten by the time this comes out.

PS: Sorry for the rubbish bbcode, first time poster here :)

Well that book is pretty fucking racist. I like Tintin, but there's really no defending Herge's portrayal of Africans.

Sam on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Any non-gamer who knows nothing about RE and watches the trailer only sees this.

Not EVERYONE knows what the hell Resident Evil is.

Ignorance is a terrible reason to yell "RACISM! RACISM! STOP THEM!"

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.