As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons (UNMARKED SPOILERS, BEWARE)

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    THey dont seem to attack me, dont know why, just seems odd that max obfuscate can be undone or that those vamps have auspex turned on. I dunno if I missed something, with max obfuscate the whole mansion was done in under 5 minutes, no running around or messing with zombies this time./

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That reminds me of that broken Background in old Mage. Arcane.

Adds dice to your stealth rolls, removes dice from their perception rolls.

Sure, you might get hit by a car because the driver didn't notice you, but you could also waltz into anywhere you wanted, quietly do whatever you wanted, and walk out without anyone noticing you.

Sepah on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    THey dont seem to attack me, dont know why, just seems odd that max obfuscate can be undone or that those vamps have auspex turned on. I dunno if I missed something, with max obfuscate the whole mansion was done in under 5 minutes, no running around or messing with zombies this time./

Obfuscation isn't invisibility, it's a mind trick. You're just convincing them that you're not there. Harder enemies to fool can see through it.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I dont know what it is but using Auspex in Hollywood just crashes the game for me now, saying something about edicts which I dont understand relating to auspex. Must be the fan patch.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I dont know if Heather is glitched, I dont seem to have any options with her apart from gettng her to change her clothes.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    She only has stuff to do at set points in the game

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I figured youd be able to feed on her often though.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sepah wrote: »
    That reminds me of that broken Background in old Mage. Arcane.

Adds dice to your stealth rolls, removes dice from their perception rolls.

Sure, you might get hit by a car because the driver didn't notice you, but you could also waltz into anywhere you wanted, quietly do whatever you wanted, and walk out without anyone noticing you.

It made a lot more sense in old Mummy (pre-Resurrection), that's for certain.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    Malkavians have entire dialogue trees and events that no-one else gets.

Female Malk feeding animation is awesome, too.
    Do the female malks have a different feeding animation than the other female PCs?

One of the main reasons I never tried a playthrough using a female character is because when they feed they jump on the person like some kind of crazy spider demon and it just looks kind of stupid. I guess that makes sense for a malkavian or something but a Ventrue would be able to keep it a little more under control.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    Malkavians have entire dialogue trees and events that no-one else gets.

Female Malk feeding animation is awesome, too.
    Do the female malks have a different feeding animation than the other female PCs?

One of the main reasons I never tried a playthrough using a female character is because when they feed they jump on the person like some kind of crazy spider demon and it just looks kind of stupid. I guess that makes sense for a malkavian or something but a Ventrue would be able to keep it a little more under control.

..Oh, right. I thought that animation was unique to female Malkavians, as it made sense for them to do that. If that's the animation for ANY female character... I guess I'll play males. Unless I play a Malk.

(I played through almost to the end with a male Toreador, and tooled around with a female Malk up to the point where you meet the sisters in their club.)

Kay2 on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Re: vamps and the sun. It could be placebo effect or something. Vampires are so ingrained with fear and hatred of the sun that they spontaneously combust in its presence.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I hadnt realised how small the window is to save Heather. Her dialogue opens up after one mission and if you speak to LaCroix first to get the next then you cant save her, she disappeared frmo my apartment. So I reloaded but I didnt fuck with her mind to get her to go

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I dont know if its the fan-patch or what but people able to see obfuscate really fucks with a stealth/speech focused character in the Hallowbrook.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hadnt realised how small the window is to save Heather. Her dialogue opens up after one mission and if you speak to LaCroix first to get the next then you cant save her, she disappeared frmo my apartment. So I reloaded but I didnt fuck with her mind to get her to go

what do you mean save? As far as I can recall all you can do is tell her to leave you, not "Go away, the bad guys will get'a!"

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I'm just getting into this game, and this is off-topic - but are any of the World of Darkness novels good? I'm absolutely loving this setting, but finding a group to play tabletop with in my area is basically impossible. I'm seeing a lot of World of Darkness novels on Amazon, and thinking about ordering some.

Hensler on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    So I'm just getting into this game, and this is off-topic - but are any of the World of Darkness novels good? I'm absolutely loving this setting, but finding a group to play tabletop with in my area is basically impossible. I'm seeing a lot of World of Darkness novels on Amazon, and thinking about ordering some.

The ones I've read have been interesting, but they do have a tendency to be gloomy and/or angsty.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    People who use the fan patch:
    How raunchy are the added bits? Like, will my fiancee be asking for an explanation when she walks in on an unskippable vampiric sex scene involving nosferatu and a child?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I didnt really notice much new apart from some lines and that girl giving a guy a blowjob which I wouldnt have noticed if not for auspex.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is there a downside to using the Plus version if I've already played the game twice? I'm hoping to make the experience as fresh as possible.

Does it add those background things to character creation? I always wanted to try those.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

We talked about this a bit earlier. You can check this out. It's the first of a four part compilation of all 13 clan novels leading up to Gehenna.

As mentioned, it starts out slow and incoherent, so it can be dissuading at first, but once you get past the prologue, it gets really good. The entire series spans around 2500 pages, so there's certainly something to start with.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is there a downside to using the Plus version if I've already played the game twice? I'm hoping to make the experience as fresh as possible.

Does it add those background things to character creation? I always wanted to try those.

Yeah, doesnt change too much, backgrounds give you a bonus in one area and take from elsewhere or switch your stat priorities.

Im sure tehres a lot of stuff in there but its all so minor that its not noticable and Im pretty sure he made Obfuscate and stealth ridiculously hard to the point that the last 2 missions before the finale filled with some form of vampire had them spotting me down the other end of the hall.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The basic version also adds the backgrounds. I've not played plus, but opinions on it are almost universally negative around here.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The basic version adds the backgrounds? Damn it, it did not install correctly.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

We talked about this a bit earlier. You can check this out. It's the first of a four part compilation of all 13 clan novels leading up to Gehenna.

As mentioned, it starts out slow and incoherent, so it can be dissuading at first, but once you get past the prologue, it gets really good. The entire series spans around 2500 pages, so there's certainly something to start with.

Looks sweet, I'm going to order that - Thanks!

Hensler on
  • Options
    SidarthurSidarthur Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

There's also a set of books from Vampire: the Requiem that are pretty decent. In order they're A Hunger Like Fire by Greg Stolze, Blood In, Blood Out by Lucien Soulban, and The Marriage of Virtue and Viciousness also by Greg Stolze.

Sidarthur on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The three V:tR books are pretty good. Well, the Greg Stolze ones are, at least.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Predator and Prey series of Hunter books look good too - think I'll read those after the Vampire ones. I really wish I could find a local group for some WoD tabletop. Grrr...

Hensler on
  • Options
    Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anything written by Greg Stolze is worth it. I particularly like his Demon: the Fallen trilogy, though the two Requiem books are also top notch.

I've heard bad things about the predator and prey books though. The only one I read, the vampire one had nothing whatsoever to do with hunters but was a passable vampire book, but I've been told the werewolf one in particular is dire.

The clan novels vary in quality with Setite and Ravnos being, in my opinion, the cream of the crop. None of the clan novels were unreadably bad though. Stay away from the Brujah trilogy though, it's crap.

Paranoia833 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh they did some Demon novels? sweet.

Tube on
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I play games, some games people call scary, and I laugh at them.

And then I reached the god damned hotel....

I'm not afraid to admit this, but I broke my chair in terror.

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Completed it finally, the last run is a slog but made much easier again with obfuscate and stealth killing.

Its obviously a bit lacking in proportion since you are essentially a god able to strike fear into a 200 year old like LaCroix and garner respect from Jack and have Nines begging for your membership but its all good.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I found the end kind of lacking. I was all excited for an epic reveal, not dessicated human and C4

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Completed it finally, the last run is a slog but made much easier again with obfuscate and stealth killing.

Its obviously a bit lacking in proportion since you are essentially a god able to strike fear into a 200 year old like LaCroix and garner respect from Jack and have Nines begging for your membership but its all good.

200 years old ain't shit. The PC is very powerful for their age but they're far from being a god. Jack would still hand you your ass.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    COmpared to the majority of those who appear in the game you are a god, you're like two weeks old and can take out entire nests of Sabbat or Giovanni and the Sherrif who himself has some pretty nutso power. Sure you cant take Jack but Jack seems nigh on ancient.

Does anyone actually know what Gen he is?

One thing that did confuse me and I think I missed because Im sure it was there before, theres supposed to be a scene where Nines hands you a wolves head isnt htere? This time I played through he just appeared at the end.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Only if you side with the Anarchs, and he doesn't give you it per se.
    You ask him how he survived, and he shows you its remains.

So Nines must be extremely powerful.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Only if you side with the Anarchs, and he doesn't give you it per se.
    You ask him how he survived, and he shows you its remains.

So Nines must be extremely powerful.

More clever than powerful. He was terrified of the things so him winning wasn't something he planned on.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Jack isn't ancient either, he's about 500 and tenth generation. The most impressive people the PC takes out are Xiao and The Sheriff, clearing out a hotel full of shovelheads isn't a huge deal. Nines is around 80 but clearly knows his shit. The PC is clearly competent and resourceful but he's not going to be troubling the big boys

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The PC can kill a werewolf too. Sometimes, it's not just a matter of power, it's a matter of cunning and luck.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I do wonder what generation the player is though, he's turned by some attention starved whore who wants a boyfriend (or the other way around) and an early generation and powerful vamp isn't going for that. Christof in the first game was what? 7th?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jack is awesome.

I wish we had more Jack.

Buttcleft on