As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons (UNMARKED SPOILERS, BEWARE)

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I must have had an opinion, tubes here to correct me!

I dunno if its a glitch but the driver at the very end cutscene had a black aura. Not sure what that one means unless its diablerie. Jacks lower gen than Christof? That's surprising. Id have expected him to be older to.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I found the end kind of lacking. I was all excited for an epic reveal, not dessicated human and C4

This game ending was the single best ending i've seen, for precisely this reason. You aren't special. You aren't a beautiful, unique snowflake. You are Jack's stalking horse to a mcguffin. You find the mcguffin and upend vampire politics.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I made a Toreador, but now I'm thinking I'd rather have a Tremere. The Tremere get that extra haven, right? I've never actually seen it.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    I found the end kind of lacking. I was all excited for an epic reveal, not dessicated human and C4

This game ending was the single best ending i've seen, for precisely this reason. You aren't special. You aren't a beautiful, unique snowflake. You are Jack's stalking horse to a mcguffin. You find the mcguffin and upend vampire politics.

Yeah, Jack played everyone expecting the Prince to bite while giving you a chance to live without outright telling you whats going to happen. Its one big coup.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I do wonder what generation the player is though, he's turned by some attention starved whore who wants a boyfriend (or the other way around) and an early generation and powerful vamp isn't going for that. Christof in the first game was what? 7th?

The PC in Bloodlines in 8th. Which by modern standards is pretty neat. Christof was 9th and could get to 8th.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I must have had an opinion, tubes here to correct me!

I'm just telling you what the lore behind the game is, if I'd known it was going to make you cry I wouldn't have troubled myself.

Tube on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Roughly how powerful are 8th generation vamps?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I made a Toreador, but now I'm thinking I'd rather have a Tremere. The Tremere get that extra haven, right? I've never actually seen it.

It's the Chantry where you meet Strauss.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I;m only fucking with you tube. Partly.

Where are you getting this info that the Bloodlines character is 8th gen? Thats pretty awesome.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    8th gen aren't super powerful, I think it stops being meaningful until like 5th gen.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    People are crying, Tube must be around!

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alright, this thread has made me finally get around to buying this game.

Edit: What is THE patch to get?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I do wonder what generation the player is though, he's turned by some attention starved whore who wants a boyfriend (or the other way around) and an early generation and powerful vamp isn't going for that. Christof in the first game was what? 7th?

The PC in Bloodlines in 8th. Which by modern standards is pretty neat. Christof was 9th and could get to 8th.

How do you "get" to 8th? I thought generation was based on how many vamps since Caine, not an arbitrary level of power to be improved.

Edit: and fuck you guys I'm gonna install this again, you ruined/made my weekend!

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

How do you "get" to 8th? I thought generation was based on how many vamps since Caine, not an arbitrary level of power to be improved.

Edit: and fuck you guys I'm gonna install this again, you ruined/made my weekend!

You eat someone a gen higher htan you.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Can I buy the original game online anywhere? I can't find it for the life of me.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Oh yeah I remember that now, couldn't you eat the stupid powerful Antedeluvian at the end too if you had a low enough humanity?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Not especially. You can start at 8th in the PnP game, and the benefits are moderate.
    7th gen and lower is where things start getting impressive.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

It depends on the vampire, but it's at the cusp of where shit starts to get real.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Oh yeah I remember that now, couldn't you eat the stupid powerful Antedeluvian at the end too if you had a low enough humanity?

In the first game you mean? In the 2nd there isnt one.

I cant remember but was the one in the first game a vampire? I just remember his cathedral of Flesh and him wanting to go eat all vampires.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exFSp2z4a3s

I still like that game and I think the story was good, not amazing but good, especially for an undead love story.

"Damnation with thee would be as sweet as salvation."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RQH3XnPavM
    "If you could feel the power of the fiend blood you would know that humanity is...overrated"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYk7xyj4V9M
    This ending was worse than the bad ending IMO, I mean youre a slave AND you kill your hot bittie. Its worth ignoring.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The weird thing (I think it was a bug) is that if your humanity was too high you automatically got the bad ending.

Tube on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For some reason, those clips remind me of this:

kte-montage.jpg

Yes, a live action show based on V:TM.

All things considered, it wasn't that bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uozWVR5aZjE&feature=related

That's the Prince in the series and some Anarch, if memory serves.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Must be a bug because I had max humanity ( because christof is a damn nice fella) and I got the good ending which was one of the more satisfying endings Ive gotten in a game.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It looks terrible but holy shit is that Doakes?

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes motherfucker.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My biggest gripe with the series(the whole thing was like $14) is that the Nosferatu isn't very monstrous. The personality fits at least.

And Doakes' character is a cop Ghoul, IIRC.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I do wonder what generation the player is though, he's turned by some attention starved whore who wants a boyfriend (or the other way around) and an early generation and powerful vamp isn't going for that.

Early generation and stupid could though. Not impossible for a relatively low generation vampire (ie, 7th) to get knocked into torpor for a long period of time and only emerge recently. While 7th is where power potential starts to increase a lot, it's still only potential.

Of course, we never really find out what your sire's motivation for a childe was, only the ruse they used to create you.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, you're told literally nothing about your sire other than the implication that LaCroix wanted to get rid of them anyway (listen to him when he says "forgive me", what a creep)

Oh and that they probably had anarch sympathies based on Nines' reaction

Tube on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wish we could have learned more about the sire but I guess it's impossible since they'd have had to come up with a bunch of different alternatives for why Lacroix wanted them dead, based on clan and stuff

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They probably just wanted someone to spend eternity with and liked your character a lot like Lily and E.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think, as with a lot of the plot of Bloodlines, they figured it was more fun to speculate.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They probably just wanted someone to spend eternity with and liked your character a lot like Lily and E.

It's possible, but that doesn't really happen very often outside of newbies (like lily and E). The sire would be facing pretty much certain death for embracing you, they'd have had to have a really good reason.

Also consider that the Sheriff breaks in pretty much right away. Something very fishy was going on...

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well if shes Malkavian and considering Grout his reasoning to get rid of them makes perfect sense.

The rest just that they knew something, they were probably the gopher before you.

I dunno the exact range of emotion they can reach but I could see a vampire siring a mate, especially if theyd been alone a long time and found the human particularly fascinating. Worth the risk I guess to them.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It's possible, but that doesn't really happen very often outside of newbies (like lily and E). The sire would be facing pretty much certain death for embracing you, they'd have had to have a really good reason.

Also consider that the Sheriff breaks in pretty much right away. Something very fishy was going on...

I always kind of assumed the sire had asked and received permission of LaCroix, but made the mistake of doing so without a witness or a document proving she had. LaCroix took the opportunity to assassinate a rival, and the sire figured there was no point in denying it while on stage.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What is up with the Sheriff, anyway? Is he just a die-hard Camarilla loyalist?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well he's a Nagloper from Africa but otherwise the game tells you nothing about him at all.

Supporting DW's theory is how hyper competent the PC is. I like Bri's theory though too, I never thought of that.

Tube on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Your sire was obviously set up somehow, but I don't think Lacroix was counting on Nines threatening a revolt like he did, so presumably this was actually supposed to just be a convenient excuse for Lacroix to get your sire whacked and you were just an unfortunate by-product that Lacroix decided to use as cannon fodder. As Jack points out later, nobody thought you had a chance in hell at coming back from Santa Monica alive, and it's implied pretty heavily that Lacroix is trying to get you killed through the whole game. He keeps sending you on more and more dangerous missions with absolutely no backup/assistance.

Unfortunately for the prince, you're some kind of insanely lucky/resourceful Indiana Jones-type vamp who somehow survives it all. He obviously wasn't counting on you being a problem, or even surviving your trial.

That leaves the question of why a high-generation vamp would want to sire you illegally (and presumably let someone else know about it beforehand). The real answer is, of course, so that you can begin the game, but what kind of plot-related motivations could there have been?

Duffel on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, I'm trying to install the official patch, but it says it can't verify the version of the game.

Is there something weird I have to do with steam to get it to work?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh and that they probably had anarch sympathies based on Nines' reaction

Or, failing that, they wanted Nines to think that they had Anarch sympathies. "Play both sides against the middle" is pretty much elder protocol (assuming, of course, that the sire was an elder).

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Hey, I'm trying to install the official patch, but it says it can't verify the version of the game.

Is there something weird I have to do with steam to get it to work?

There is, I think. You should just be able to apply it to the folder with the files under Steam.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png