As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bio[Chat]

• Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    suilimeA wrote: »
    Man, so guys, I met this girl. We chatted for two hours comfortably, making each other laugh, having a good time, so she's smart and funny and cute and all that jazz.

Then I found out she's a huge fan of Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach. I mean, lots of fuckers have seen Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums, but someone who's seen and loves Kicking and Screaming? <3

Also, she went to an arts magnet school, and for her orchestra class's big culminating project, students got to arrange a piece of music for the orchestra -- she arranged fucking Chicago off of Illinois by Sufjan Stevens for the whole orchestra.

I...I don't think I've ever been so turned on.
    I love Kicking and Screaming too and I don't think I'd ever fuck you. Sounds like I've got a lot in common with her.

:lol:

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    evilbob wrote: »
    My hair has started pissing me off, I'm contemplating removing it.

Why is it still plastered to your face?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

No, but its long enough to get in beer that I'm drinking.
    Edit: and it's making lighting cigarettes a lot harder.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007

You've seen Something About Mary, right?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Would "Indie Hipsters" be an appropriate term? I often have trouble differentiating between the two.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

D:

Man, as if you even needed another reason to chop that shit off.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Whatever happened to Poldy? He'd straighten us out as to what is hipster hip...or something.

moniker on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Man, so guys, I met this girl. We chatted for two hours comfortably, making each other laugh, having a good time, so she's smart and funny and cute and all that jazz.

Then I found out she's a huge fan of Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach. I mean, lots of fuckers have seen Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums, but someone who's seen and loves Kicking and Screaming? <3

I loved that movie.

Frankie tells me she hated it. I have no idea how.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Would "Indie Hipsters" be an appropriate term? I often have trouble differentiating between the two.
    I thought they all were the same?

It's hip to be indie, most indie kids are hipsters.

Seriously, ragging on hipsters is just some shit I don't get. I mean if you get involved in their social circle you can get a good view of how gossipy and incestuous it can all get, but I think that's pretty universal in most social circles.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Also, she went to an arts magnet school, and for her orchestra class's big culminating project, students got to arrange a piece of music for the orchestra -- she arranged fucking Chicago off of Illinois by Sufjan Stevens for the whole orchestra.

Sucks that she's engaged, huh?

Man that would be weird considering she's seventeen and all.

But yeah, we are going to go see the new Wes Anderson movie tomorrow.

I may die of a hipness overdose.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

D:

Man, as if you even needed another reason to chop that shit off.
    It never would have gotten this long if I had any idea what to do with it. I think the time has come though that regardless of how it looks afterwards a large portion of it needs to be removed.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Poldy? He'd straighten us out as to what is hipster hip...or something.

I'm not really sure I can get over that he thinks anyone who doesn't enjoy shakespeare is an idiot.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, Poldy's a hipster through and through, and he hates irony and loves talking about weird esoteric crap he loves just as much as he loves tearing shit down.

Honestly, when you see Poldy post, does he talk more about the shit he loves, or the shit he can't stand? And be honest with yourself there.

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Podly isn't a hipster, he's a fairy. And by that I don't mean he's a slur-for-homosexual, I mean he's pink and has wings and glows and says "HEY! HEY! HEY! HEY!" in a high-pitched voice whenever you walk past anything that's not part of the background.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, wait.

Doesn't that just mean that hipsters are well-groomed, social dorks? O_o

no, cause they call themselves cool.

and their up o the really good stuff. and if something sucks it's obviously not actually hipster.

if you like something they don't like, you're obviously not really a hipster.

god what a great club to be in!

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Man I don't really think I'm an actual hipster. I mean I know I'm more hip than the engineers I work with, but that's not exactly a high bar. You'll have to ask Eddy when he comes up here - Dyna met me, and I think he said that I wasn't really a hipster.

And seriously I look and dress nothing like those douchebags someone posted on the previous page. I mean jesus I have standards, people.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Long hair DOES have its downsides.

I have to keep a hair band handy because I was getting it in my salads too much -- while it was still firmly attached to my scalp.

--

No, I have not actually seen Something about Mary.

--

Variable: Sounds like hipsters suffer from nerd rage. Pop culture fanbois are still just fanbois.

--

Will: Maybe you're just a cultural enthusiast rather than a fanatic?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Podly isn't a hipster, he's a fairy. And by that I don't mean he's a slur-for-homosexual, I mean he's pink and has wings and glows and says "HEY! HEY! HEY! HEY!" in a high-pitched voice whenever you walk past anything that's not part of the background.

:lol:

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

Seriously, ragging on hipsters is just some shit I don't get. I mean if you get involved in their social circle you can get a good view of how gossipy and incestuous it can all get, but I think that's pretty universal in most social circles.

I just don't especially like people who declare themselves part of a group, but unless you match them exactly you can't be part of said group and are thus less than them.

it's not specific to hipster by ANY means, though. I just hate it.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

It's the contemporary version of 'counter-culture' and I just dislike self identification against stereotypes as it does nothing but empower those stereotypes. Being anti-mainstream is just plain stupid. Especially if you actually liked whatever, but your 'ethos' demands you mock it now that 4 other people like it as well.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Man I don't really think I'm an actual hipster. I mean I know I'm more hip than the engineers I work with, but that's not exactly a high bar. You'll have to ask Eddy when he comes up here - Dyna met me, and I think he said that I wasn't really a hipster.

And seriously I look and dress nothing like those douchebags someone posted on the previous page. I mean jesus I have standards, people.

Luckily for you, Frankie doesn't. :P

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Get to meet the fiance right away, huh? There were a couple 18 year-olds in my public speaking class last year who were already married, one even had a kid (and came from a very very christian community gee I wonder why she got married).

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Long hair DOES have its downsides.

I have to keep a hair band handy because I was getting it in my salads too much -- while it was still firmly attached to my scalp.

--

No, I have not actually seen Something about Mary.

my hair once went in my mouth along with cereal. disgusting.

Variable on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    I just really want to sleep with indie girls. Well, any girls at this point.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If it was long enough for a pony tail then it'd be fine. I don't think I can put up with it getting in beer and nearly igniting long enough to wait for that though.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »

my hair once went in my mouth along with cereal. disgusting.

The funny thing is I used to chew on my hair.

UNTIL it got covered in food on a regular basis.

--

Ponytails really do make long hair 5000% easier to deal with.

Until then, you have to use huge amounts of gel or spray or whatever to keep it out of the way.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Get to meet the fiance right away, huh? There were a couple 18 year-olds in my public speaking class last year who were already married, one even had a kid (and came from a very very christian community gee I wonder why she got married).

But you live in Ohio, dude. I live in the First World. We don't do that teen marriage thing so much in developed nations.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I really just want to sleep at this point. Hell with girls, girls aren't going to help me sleep.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Here's a link which (obviously) jives with what I know about hipsters.

Please note that their logo is an intentional parody of the Portland Mercury, the hipster free weekly.

• Options
    edited October 2007

Someday, son, you'll learn the art of destroying the self-confidence of beautiful women.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Here's a link which (obviously) jives with what I know about hipsters.

Please note that their logo is an intentional parody of the Portland Mercury, the hipster free weekly.

Man, I think the Mercury may be the Plantonic Form of hipness.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

This is a pretty good counterpoint to accusations that you're a hipster.

samurai_will.jpg

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It's the contemporary version of 'counter-culture' and I just dislike self identification against stereotypes as it does nothing but empower those stereotypes. Being anti-mainstream is just plain stupid. Especially if you actually liked whatever, but your 'ethos' demands you mock it now that 4 other people like it as well.
    Mocking everything mainstream is falling out of "hipness," that's what I'm trying to explain. Prince and MJ are hip as shit (a local club has a Prince v. MJ DJ night lately, even). Justin Timberlake is hip now. Kanye is hip.

I'm telling you, if anyone is the future of American hipness, it's Kanye West.

• Options
    edited October 2007

Someday, son, you'll learn the art of destroying the self-confidence of beautiful women.

It's really the only art worth learning.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    All these moralities that address themselves to the individual, for the sake of his “happiness,” as one says – what are they but counsels for behavior in relation to the degree of dangerousness in which the individual lives with himself; recipes against his passions, his good and bad inclinations insofar as they have the will to power and want to play the master; little and great prudences and artifices that exude the nook odor of old nostrums and of the wisdom of old women; all of them baroque and unreasonable in form-because they address themselves to “all,” because they generalize where one must not generalize. All of them speak unconditionally, take themselves for unconditional, all of them flavored with more than one grain of salt and tolerable only—at at times even seductive – when they begin to smell over-spiced and dangerous, especially “of the other world.” All of it is, measured intellectually, worth very little and not by a long shot “science,” much less “wisdom,” but rather, to say it once more, three times more, prudence, prudence, prudence, mixed with stupidity, stupidity, stupidity—whether it be that indifference and statue coldness against the hot-headed folly of the affects which the Stoics advised and administered; or that laughing-no-more and weeping-no-more of Spinoza, his so naively advocated destruction of the affects through their analysis and vivisection; or that tuning down of the affects to a harmless mean according to which they may be satisfied, the Aristotelianism of morals; even morality as enjoyment of the affects in a deliberate thinness and spiritualization by means of the symbolism of art, say, as music, or as love of God and of man for God’s sake – for in religion that passions enjoy the rights of citizens again, assuming that ––; finally even that accommodating and playful surrender to the affects, as Hafiz and Goethe taught it, that bold dropping of the reins, that spiritual-physical licentia morum in the exceptional case of wise old owls and sots for whom it “no longer holds much danger.” This, too, for the chapter “Morality as Timidity.”

How can people not like Nietzsche?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »

I just don't especially like people who declare themselves part of a group, but unless you match them exactly you can't be part of said group and are thus less than them.

it's not specific to hipster by ANY means, though. I just hate it.

This too.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

His philosophy turns people into raging assholes with no concern for others?

Yeah, I think that's one of the reasons.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »

This is a pretty good counterpoint to accusations that you're a hipster.

samurai_will.jpg

... I'm not sure you are using the word "counterpoint" correctly there.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yeah, I think that's one of the reasons.

My raging and my being an asshole are entirely unrelated thank you very much.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

But he's right.

_J_ on
This discussion has been closed.