As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bio[Chat]

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    I mean, the guy was legitimately insane. He was syphilitic, for chrissake. Holes in his brain

If we're going to allow illnesses to discount a person then I need to go back in time and apply this new rule to that argument in which I said Dyslexics with ADHD oughtn't be able to become doctors.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Ha I'd forgotten about that picture.

Makes me glad that I've shaved my head.

And also my dog seems to be worshipping me.
    Getting down and pleasing Will

Getting salvation all over his face
    We had to euthanize my dog yesterday. :(

I'm sorry.

_J_ on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Duuude, this thread got majorly heavy, man!

one toke over the line.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    I mean, the guy was legitimately insane. He was syphilitic, for chrissake. Holes in his brain

If we're going to allow illnesses to discount a person then I need to go back in time and apply this new rule to that argument in which I said Dyslexics with ADHD oughtn't be able to become doctors.

_J_ you're such a character

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I'm sorry, Salv :(

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

_J_ you're such a character

I know.

TBS would welcome me.

Wait, no, USA would welcome me. USA welcomes characters. TBS knows drama.

_J_ on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Ha I'd forgotten about that picture.

Makes me glad that I've shaved my head.

And also my dog seems to be worshipping me.
    Getting down and pleasing Will

Getting salvation all over his face
    :cry:

Elendil on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    J you bring up that convwerstion ill come throw the internats an punch you in the pafce.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    sorry sal.

Variable on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Nietzsche causes cancer and low birth-weight.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I think I'll have a couple of more swigs of rum tha;l go to sleep
    ngitha all

That is so going in my sig.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    J you bring up that convwerstion ill come throw the internats an punch you in the pafce.

I'm going!

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    ITT character means syphilitic shitweasel

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I'm sorry, Salv :(
    She lived a long, good life. Wish I'd been there when they did the deed, but she's better off, now; she'd been pretty sick for a while.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I didn't say he was wrong. But for most people, he is not a valid option.

Personally, I'm Nietzschean -naturally-, without having really read much of his work even to this day, but I'm also a pretty nice guy for the most part and maintain a pretty good mood considering my life.

But I'm a walking exception.

Telling people to live without morals is harder than telling them to live without religion.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nietzsche causes cancer and low birth-weight.[/quote

iu ythougt that was that fuioing guy
    ege

ege causes cancer]

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    God I'm sorry, Sal. That fucking sucks. There isn't a whole lot worse than losing ones' dog.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    damn. just when I'm getting to think Mark Mckinney or Bruce Mcullogh (all that is spelled wrong) are my favorites, the fucking hecubus skit comes on. so good.

and then there's scott thompson. GODDAMN IT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.

Variable on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    I was mainly just reading Beyond Good and Evil to get over spending the evening in a gym full of Pro-Life Jesus fuckers and found a paragraph that made me say "yes". Then I remembered that D&D hates Nietzsche.

Fucking god damn i hated today.

You do realize that The Antichrist was, like, the book that I lived by for a year, right?

Seriously, I know Nietzsche a hell of a lot better than you do. I emulated him. I get him.

I also get that his philosophy is just a big rationalization for his social retardation and unrelenting misery.

I don't buy that. Not the you emulating him. But the "rationalization for his social retardation".

I think we need to understand the historical context and lives of the people whose works we read, but I don't think we can dismiss a person's entire catalog just because they, among other things, went crazy.

He did say a few cool things. (1) Question everything. (2) There is no self.

The rest of his shit is interesting, and sometimes a useful lense through which to analyze events and other works, but for the most part it's a steaming pile of useless shit that serves to advance humanity in no way and makes people miserable.

Granted, at the time, I suppose it was useful in paving the way for postmodern thinking, but it's really no longer needed.

Also, you're not being very Nietzschean if you just follow what he says. You have to be detached from your detachment, even. You cannot be stuck to anything if you really want to be a free spirit. You have to be ever-changing, you have to live among the putrid stink of the masses, and hone your will-to-power by suffering the intolerable wretchedness of the many.

To be truly Nietzschean, you must even reject Nietzsche.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really like Nietzsche.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    ITT character means syphilitic shitweasel

Man, I'd love to be syphilitic. And, hell, I could be a shitweasel.

I could probably get someone to pay for me and wouldn't have to work. Mostly because of the syphalis. Shitweasels have utility.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How can people not like Nietzsche?

His philosophy turns people into raging assholes with no concern for others?

Yeah, I think that's one of the reasons.

You've forgotten "He's not a very good philosopher" and "He is partly responsible for the development of Contintental Philosophy".

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

This is where your having idolized him is funny.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You know who I hate

Kant

Funt that guy

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh continental philosophy you so crazy

you were developed because masturbating into a sock was deemed too useful

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, Note this day, Tuesday 2nd October, 2007 as the day upon which I was afflicted with the three quarter circle of red led death.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Would "Indie Hipsters" be an appropriate term? I often have trouble differentiating between the two.
    I thought they all were the same?

It's hip to be indie, most indie kids are hipsters.

Seriously, ragging on hipsters is just some shit I don't get. I mean if you get involved in their social circle you can get a good view of how gossipy and incestuous it can all get, but I think that's pretty universal in most social circles.

For me it's that indie hipsters pretend to something - taste, intellectualism, political consciousness - that more often than not, they don't actually have. In my experience, they're not more well-read than the yuppies of my childhood: it's just that instead of In Search of Excellence they've got fucking Me Talk Pretty One Day. Very few of them actually seem interested in developing well-rounded taste in books, music, or art: they just want to know about what's current so as to maintain membership in the club.

I mean, I know people whose entire bookshelves consist of the NPR-approved reading list, plus maybe Bukowski for the drunks and Burroughs for the druggies. No Henry James or Thackeray, no Dashiell Hammett or Agatha Christie, no Yeats or Keats or Eliot, no science or history. These are people who don't love reading, they just love being seen with books. Fuck them.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    damn. just when I'm getting to think Mark Mckinney or Bruce Mcullogh (all that is spelled wrong) are my favorites, the fucking hecubus skit comes on. so good.

and then there's scott thompson. GODDAMN IT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.
    I recognize Bruce McCulloch as the true guiding light of the group, although they're all great. That's largely based on his comedy album, and based on interviews and such, with the subsequent watermark of his you can see on the truly brilliant material from the show.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Continental Philosophy... was that based on his hard-on for being German?

Because wow that was funny.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Oh Senj. I always love you, but sometimes I really love you.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It's all about Mark Mckinney

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    I really like Nietzsche.

You should bring his corpse to parties. Just put sunglasses on him and a drink in his hand. And dress him in a Hawaiian shirt.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ap0 that's very...lvoing of you

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Granted, at the time, I suppose it was useful in paving the way for postmodern thinking

That's why I like him. He stared at the entirety of philosophy before him and say, "HEY ASSHOLES! YOU'RE WRONG!"

To do that and be right and to become an integral part of Western Philosophy?

It really is amazing.

And, yeah, you can't follow Nietzsche and follow Nietzsche, because that whole ubermensche thing was just bullshit and him contradicting himself.

_J_ on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You know who I hate

Kant

Funt that guy

hahahaha

James on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

This is where your having idolized him is funny.

Oh, no, I picked and chose which parts of Nietzsche I liked and said fuck the rest. And I didn't justify it with a moral or philosophical framework. I just did and valued what I felt like.

I emulated him, but I didn't take what he said as golden. I was really good at being Nietzschean, actually. Hence my suicidal depression.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Wikipedia wrote:
    Continental philosophy is a term that originated among English-speaking philosophers to describe various philosophical traditions strongly influenced by certain 19th and 20th century philosophers from mainland Europe. The term is typically used in contrast with analytic philosophy. The traditions comprising continental philosophy include German idealism, phenomenology, existentialism and its antecedents, hermeneutics, structuralism, post-structuralism, French feminism, and the critical theory of the Frankfurt School and some other branches of western Marxism

wut?

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    I really like Nietzsche.

You should bring his corpse to parties. Just put sunglasses on him and a drink in his hand. And dress him in a Hawaiian shirt.
    B00094ARJQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You know who I hate

Kant

Funt that guy

Yes.

Funt him, indeed.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Also, Note this day, Tuesday 2nd October, 2007 as the day upon which I was afflicted with the three quarter circle of red led death.
    Man there's a lot of that going around lately.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.