As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bio[Chat]

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Fuck nihilists. They messed with The Dude.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    suilimeA wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    How can people not like Nietzsche?

His philosophy turns people into raging assholes with no concern for others?

Yeah, I think that's one of the reasons.

My raging and my being an asshole are entirely unrelated thank you very much.

Jewcar: Blazing new trails in douchebaggery every day.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Poldy? He'd straighten us out as to what is hipster hip...or something.

I'm not really sure I can get over that he thinks anyone who doesn't enjoy shakespeare is an idiot.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is the only Shakespeare I could really get into. One of my english teachers absolutely hated Shakespeare, and she was awesome.

James on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    I just don't especially like people who declare themselves part of a group, but unless you match them exactly you can't be part of said group and are thus less than them.

it's not specific to hipster by ANY means, though. I just hate it.

This too.
    Here's an essay I read recently about social grouping that I quite like and agree rather heavily with. People group themselves, it's just part of being human.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

He's not a nihilist.

_J_ on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Paragraphs are your friend.

moniker on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Ha I'd forgotten about that picture.

Makes me glad that I've shaved my head.

And also my dog seems to be worshipping me.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Paragraphs are your friend.

That's all one paragraph.

_J_ on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    James wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Poldy? He'd straighten us out as to what is hipster hip...or something.

I'm not really sure I can get over that he thinks anyone who doesn't enjoy shakespeare is an idiot.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is the only Shakespeare I could really get into. One of my english teachers absolutely hated Shakespeare, and she was awesome.
    I hate Shakespeare with a passion and Poldy loves me, don't read too much into his faux-snobbery.

• Options
    edited October 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    I just don't especially like people who declare themselves part of a group, but unless you match them exactly you can't be part of said group and are thus less than them.

This too.
    Here's an essay I read recently about social grouping that I quite like and agree rather heavily with. People group themselves, it's just part of being human.

I am a pirate.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

But he's right.

No, he's a guy whose entire body of work is just one big rationalization for a pathetic, miserable, isolated life lived out in rented attics ranting at a world that really couldn't give less of a shit.

Seriously, J, I did the "Free Spirit" thing for a year. I was a free spirit. I was also an enormous prick and entirely miserable. It's pretty much the worst philosophy ever.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

I hate people who take martial arts classes who aren't samurai.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

He's not a nihilist.

Oh yeah? Well neither are you. Now what, bitch?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I see tits in that Hesher Tee

Will r bant

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nietzsche isn't for you.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007

Paraphrased, this just says:

Morality is for chumps. I'm better than that. I wanna do what I wanna do.

How revolutionary.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

my hair once went in my mouth along with cereal. disgusting.

The funny thing is I used to chew on my hair.

UNTIL it got covered in food on a regular basis.

--

Ponytails really do make long hair 5000% easier to deal with.

Until then, you have to use huge amounts of gel or spray or whatever to keep it out of the way.

I think mine has learned to stay in place over the years. I don't spray or gel or pony tail.

granted it's not as long as yours.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2007

But he's right.

No, he's a guy whose entire body of work is just one big rationalization for a pathetic, miserable, isolated life lived out in rented attics ranting at a world that really couldn't give less of a shit.

Seriously, J, I did the "Free Spirit" thing for a year. I was a free spirit. I was also an enormous prick and entirely miserable. It's pretty much the worst philosophy ever.

Except he's right. And he explains why everyone else is wrong. And he's right.

Because he was a linguist, and there are no foundational primary sources for any of this shit from antiquity. And then he started reading philosophy and realized that there is no <i>solid foundation for this shit</i>.

So he says, "Hey. You're all wrong."

And he's right.

And you can ignore that, and fabricate meaning. But you <i>have to know that you're fabricating it</i>.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Will r bant

The nips are covered by stars. No nip no foul.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Morals are a crutch for those who lack empathy.

:P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Paraphrased, this just says:

Morality is for chumps. I'm better than that. I wanna do what I wanna do.

How revolutionary.

No. Morality is dumb because morality is a fundamentally flawed exercise. It can't do what it attempts to do because of what it is.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

He's not a nihilist.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Son, if it looks like a nihilist, acts like a nihilist, and quacks like a nihilist, it's a nihilist.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

This too.

I don't mind people grouping themselves, I mind them shunning people who don't match their definitions of said grouping.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Will r bant

The nips are covered by stars. No nip no foul.
    'cism

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I demand a new [chat]!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nietzsche wrote:
    Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2007
    I was mainly just reading Beyond Good and Evil to get over spending the evening in a gym full of Pro-Life Jesus fuckers and found a paragraph that made me say "yes". Then I remembered that D&D hates Nietzsche.

Fucking god damn i hated today.

_J_ on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Getting down and pleasing Will

Getting salvation all over his face

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I reckon never having read Neitzsche is kinda like never having read Ayn Rand -- I'm a better person for having done it.

• Options
    edited October 2007
    I reckon never having read Neitzsche is kinda like never having read Ayn Rand -- I'm a better person for having done it.

Ayn Rand says about 3 things which are true. And then she crazies for the rest of her academic work.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I was mainly just reading Beyond Good and Evil to get over spending the evening in a gym full of Pro-Life Jesus fuckers and found a paragraph that made me say "yes". Then I remembered that D&D hates Nietzsche.

You do realize that The Antichrist was, like, the book that I lived by for a year, right?

Seriously, I know Nietzsche a hell of a lot better than you do. I emulated him. I get him.

I also get that his philosophy is just a big rationalization for his social retardation and unrelenting misery.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Ayn Rand says about 3 things which are true. And then she crazies for the rest of her academic work.
    Soooo ... pretty comparable to Neitzsche, from what I gather.

• Options
    edited October 2007

Soooo ... pretty comparable to Neitzsche, from what I gather.

Yup.

I mean, the guy was legitimately insane. He was syphilitic, for chrissake. Holes in his brain

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Then I remembered that D&D hates Nietzsche.

Dude. You have to keep in mind the number of people who think that, without a codified moral code with horrible consequences, people would naturally just start raping their neighbor's puppy or something.

The majority of the species cannot function in a world without the moral concept.

As such, most of the people who go for Nietzsche-style ideas are people who are assholes and want an excuse rather than people whose behavior is societally-benevolent without resorting to actual codes.

Most people couldn't actually LIVE a Nietzsche-style life.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

You do realize that The Antichrist was, like, the book that I lived by for a year, right?

Seriously, I know Nietzsche a hell of a lot better than you do. I emulated him. I get him.

I also get that his philosophy is just a big rationalization for his social retardation and unrelenting misery.

I don't buy that. Not the you emulating him. But the "rationalization for his social retardation".

I think we need to understand the historical context and lives of the people whose works we read, but I don't think we can dismiss a person's entire catalog just because they, among other things, went crazy.

_J_ on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Syphilis adds character

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Duuude, this thread got majorly heavy, man!

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Then I remembered that D&D hates Nietzsche.

Dude. You have to keep in mind the number of people who think that, without a codified moral code with horrible consequences, people would naturally just start raping their neighbor's puppy or something.

The majority of the species cannot function in a world without the moral concept.

As such, most of the people who go for Nietzsche-style ideas are people who are assholes and want an excuse rather than people whose behavior is societally-benevolent without resorting to actual codes.

Most people couldn't actually LIVE a Nietzsche-style life.

I don't think that's a sign that Nietzsche is wrong. I think that's a sign that most people are wrong.

Like, this evening when I sat in a gym and listened to octogenarians fetishize fetuses for two hours.

They're WRONG.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Elendil wrote: »

Getting down and pleasing Will

Getting salvation all over his face
    We had to euthanize my dog yesterday. :(

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think I'll have a couple of more swigs of rum tha;l go to sleep
    ngitha all

Zen Vulgarity on
This discussion has been closed.