As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bio[Chat]

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I hate Stupid People.

I hate ignorant stupid people who cling to their ignorance.

_J_ on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    What -is- the modern hipster, anyways?

Someone who pays too much money for hemp sandals?
    I know some. They're generally good looking for one, like music on independent labels, wear vintage fashions and have fancy haircuts. They like celebrity gossip but only allow themselves to enjoy it on an "ironic" level, because really they're above the unwashed masses. Feigning poverty despite being upper-middle class is another key component. Pretending to be informed because you've seen through Bush's lies and like totally realized the war was a bad idea once it started happening and all your celebrity gossip news was shoved aside in favor of it is also somewhat prevalent. Reading actual current event books or political discussions is not part of being an informed hipster though, be warned. Vegetarianism and veganism will make other hipsters look up to you.

It's slightly changing, moving away from irony, but I have yet to see what's going to replace it. Basically the Arcade Fire or the Decemberists would embody the music and fashion of the modern hipster as I'm aware of them.

And there you go, my intensely brief dissection of the modern hipster.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

This is the impression I get:

262465~Justin-Timberlake-Posters.jpg

mixed with

hipster.2.jpg

edit: and can't forget this:

23123004.jpg

James on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    sounds about right

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well I just watched ep. 3 of The Office. That one was kinda funny.

I'm off to bed now. Goodnight [chat]!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for the idea Richy, I've got all of season one and season two to peruse through, wheee.

Medopine on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Actually if I was to say anyone is truly the paragon of modern hipness, I'd say it's Kanye West.

Egotism mixed with esoterism mixed with a pop sensibility mixed with still a touch of forward-thinking artfulness. I couldn't name one other person as hip as him, minus maybe Andre 3000, who's all but eschewed music after he delivered his masterpiece, the Love Below, and was only really appreciated for a few of the singles off it.

Gnarls Barkley was faux hip because actually their music sucked.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    One of my best friends is dating a hipster.
    Said hipster is constantly tearing my friend down, because my friend actually likes things (movies, books, music, etc.) and actually liking something on its merits is apparently against the Hipster Code.
    And if anybody ever calls him on it, he claims he was just being ironic.
    I have zero tolerance for that shit.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And come on man, no self-respecting hipster would touch a goddamn trucker's hat these days.

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Said hipster is constantly tearing my friend down, because my friend actually likes things (movies, books, music, etc.) and actually liking something on its merits is apparently against the Hipster Code.
    Man, that isn't hip, that's just obnoxious.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm taking the train into the city for a job interview tomorrow, but don't have any $1's for the L. Hopefully this gets rectified without me having to sandwich 20 of them into my wallet because conductor's are like horrible, horrible strippers. :?

moniker on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The last time I saw them Hipster Boyfriend had invited his friends over to watch a DVD of some old TV show from the 80s so they could all point and laugh at how silly it is and how naive people were in the 1980s and isn't it so great that we're so much smarter than that now.

It was the wankiest elitist wankfest I'd ever been present for.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

I know some. They're generally good looking for one, like music on independent labels, wear vintage fashions and have fancy haircuts. They like celebrity gossip but only allow themselves to enjoy it on an "ironic" level, because really they're above the unwashed masses. Feigning poverty despite being upper-middle class is another key component. Pretending to be informed because you've seen through Bush's lies and like totally realized the war was a bad idea once it started happening and all your celebrity gossip news was shoved aside in favor of it is also somewhat prevalent. Reading actual current event books or political discussions is not part of being an informed hipster though, be warned. Vegetarianism and veganism will make other hipsters look up to you.

It's slightly changing, moving away from irony, but I have yet to see what's going to replace it. Basically the Arcade Fire or the Decemberists would embody the music and fashion of the modern hipster as I'm aware of them.

And there you go, my intensely brief dissection of the modern hipster.

A really inappropriate job to their political views is critical. Like my buddy who works for the Department of Energy, or Will who works for a defense contractor.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Actually if I was to say anyone is truly the paragon of modern hipness, I'd say it's Kanye West.

Egotism mixed with esoterism mixed with a pop sensibility mixed with still a touch of forward-thinking artfulness. I couldn't name one other person as hip as him, minus maybe Andre 3000, who's all but eschewed music after he delivered his masterpiece, the Love Below, and was only really appreciated for a few of the singles off it.

I couldn't get into Gnarls Barkley at all.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    The last time I saw them Hipster Boyfriend had invited his friends over to watch a DVD of some old TV show from the 80s so they could all point and laugh at how silly it is and how naive people were in the 1980s and isn't it so great that we're so much smarter than that now.

Good goddamn.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Wow, considering that you seem to read lots of D&D threads, that's quite a strong statement.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, wait.

Doesn't that just mean that hipsters are well-groomed, social dorks? O_o

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Man no it didn't.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shit Feral, I almost didn't recognise you. I was all, who's this guy throwing out massive Feral vibes.

Turns out i was you! Just with a different av.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Wow, considering that you seem to read lots of D&D threads, that's quite a strong statement.

Yes. I've never seen that much self-congratulatory wanking in one place and I've been to a charity event where people masturbated for pledges.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2007
    So, wait.

Squares and rectangles. Duh.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Feral I like you.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    A really inappropriate job to their political views is critical. Like my buddy who works for the Department of Energy, or Will who works for a defense contractor.
    Yeah, I'd say this is pretty accurate -- a political awareness without much follow through is pretty central to it all.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007

Feral I like you.
    That is so un-hip.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    yargh argh argh i can't bring myself to do any work this is bad

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Man, so guys, I met this girl. We chatted for two hours comfortably, making each other laugh, having a good time, so she's smart and funny and cute and all that jazz.

Then I found out she's a huge fan of Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach. I mean, lots of fuckers have seen Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums, but someone who's seen and loves Kicking and Screaming? <3

Also, she went to an arts magnet school, and for her orchestra class's big culminating project, students got to arrange a piece of music for the orchestra -- she arranged fucking Chicago off of Illinois by Sufjan Stevens for the whole orchestra.

I...I don't think I've ever been so turned on.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh christ here we go again.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, wait.

Wait, they have good hygiene now? I thought it was somehow 'hip' to not wash your hair for 3 days in order to get the perfect level of grease and bed-head or something. They are also like rain on your wedding day or, perhaps, a black fly in some chardonnay IIRC.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh christ here we go again.

:lol:

I never learn, right?

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    Man, so guys, I met this girl. We chatted for two hours comfortably, making each other laugh, having a good time, so she's smart and funny and cute and all that jazz.

Then I found out she's a huge fan of Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach. I mean, lots of fuckers have seen Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums, but someone who's seen and loves Kicking and Screaming? <3

Also, she went to an arts magnet school, and for her orchestra class's big culminating project, students got to arrange a piece of music for the orchestra -- she arranged fucking Chicago off of Illinois by Sufjan Stevens for the whole orchestra.

That, my friends, is a goddamn textbook hipster.

Congrats Aemillius -- you've got a crush on one of the beautiful people!

(And seriously, Baumbach is Anderson's screenwriter, I'd goddamn expect any film snobs to have heard of him).

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd punch them in the throat, and then claim I was being ironic. But I'm a big fan of throat-punching.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

Do your work or you will be made to live in the American South.

And I'm not talkin' Peru.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is my first day back after holidays and a rather epic weekend. I have had little to no sleep in three days. No work being done here either.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2007

Sucks that she's engaged, huh?
    You'd better not be listening to me again.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I love Kicking and Screaming too and I don't think I'd ever fuck you. Sounds like I've got a lot in common with her.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    So, wait.

Wait, they have good hygiene now? I thought it was somehow 'hip' to not wash your hair for 3 days in order to get the perfect level of grease and bed-head or something. They are also like rain on your wedding day or, perhaps, a black fly in some chardonnay IIRC.
    You shower, you just don't use shampoo on your hair.

• Options
    edited October 2007

They've got pills for that. Pills that slowly kill you on the inside.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    moniker wrote: »

Hell, I don't know.

I hang out with bikers, not dandies.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

That, my friends, is a goddamn textbook hipster.

Congrats Aemillius -- you've got a crush on one of the beautiful people!

I felt it was relevant.
    (And seriously, Baumbach is Anderson's screenwriter, I'd goddamn expect any film snobs to have heard of him).

Baumbach isn't Anderson's screenwriter. Anderson and Owen Wilson wrote Bottle Rocket and Rushmore, and then the Royal Tenenbaums was mostly Anderson with a little help from Wilson, and then The Life Aquatic was Anderson and Baumbach collaborating.

You sir, just got out-hipped. Portland is ashamed of you.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My hair has started pissing me off, I'm contemplating removing it.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

This discussion has been closed.