Options

Final Fantasy Tactics PSP: It's Out!

• Options
    DividerDivider Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just got into Chapter 2 and got a Red Chocobo and a Green Dragon in my arsenal so far, can't wait to poach that bastard.

I'm slowly hating magic - the time it takes to cast is growing on me. Later a few melee characters rip everything up anyways.

Divider on
    Luigi doesn't care about black Lumas! - TehBlueBlur ( 11/16/2007 )
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Divider wrote: »
    Just got into Chapter 2 and got a Red Chocobo and a Green Dragon in my arsenal so far, can't wait to poach that bastard.

I'm slowly hating magic - the time it takes to cast is growing on me. Later a few melee characters rip everything up anyways.

If I were you I would hold onto that dragon, and then poach his offspring.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So uim, yeah.

I picked up a WRT54G (v8, was not aware this was important). After a bit of confusion, I have DD-WRT on it, but I have the Micro version, not the standard with Kai (the PSP->Online tunneling multiplayer software).

So um. Anyone got this working? Or am I just wasting my time?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    Yes they do Baron.

No, it's not really that important.

It's not going to make a significant difference in the end when you hit level 99 due to the class switching you will inevitably do while opening up new classes, but if you do the level up and level down trick, it'll make a world of difference.

A male generic leveled down as a bard and leveled up as a knight and gained like 200-300 hps and nearly doubled his natural PA.

But not a single stage of the game you need to be that powerful.

Not a single stage.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What level are you usually towards the end of the game?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

I can't tell whether you mean to steal his offspring or to soft-boil his offspring. D:

ihd on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    Yes they do Baron.

No, it's not really that important.

It's not going to make a significant difference in the end when you hit level 99 due to the class switching you will inevitably do while opening up new classes, but if you do the level up and level down trick, it'll make a world of difference.

A male generic leveled down as a bard and leveled up as a knight and gained like 200-300 hps and nearly doubled his natural PA.

But not a single stage of the game you need to be that powerful.

Not a single stage.

You're just squabbling over the meaning of "important".

Stat Growth differences between jobs are undeniably significant, wouldn't you agree? Whether or not maximizing stats is important is really a combination of three things:

a) How much maximization means to you, as a gamer, even if it's not necessary to do to win the game.
    b) If you view character potential as another "thing" to do in the game.
    c) If you plan on playing PvP.

So I think "important" may be the wrong term here. There are provable, significant stat growth differences between job classes. But you can beat the game at a rather low level if you really wanted to. You can skip a lot of stuff. So it really depends on #2 above: if you just get through the storyline and finish the game...is that enough for you? Some people get their enjoyment from statistical improvement...and that's exactly what SRPGs offer. So the importance of the significant differences in the stat growth of different classes is, I would say, important to some and not important to other, but to try to argue that it is or isn't - globally - is not going to work.

I mean, the hidden, unlockable characters aren't "important" either, really, if "important" means "necessary to get through the game". Having Excalibers and Calculators and level 99 are also unnecessary. I just think it's false to equate "unnecessary" with "unimportant".

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ihd wrote: »

I can't tell whether you mean to steal his offspring or to soft-boil his offspring. D:
    Thieves have an ability called 'Secret Hunt' which allows you to kill a monster and receive a prize for it at any Fur Shop. Hence why it's called poaching.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Al Baron wrote: »
    ihd wrote: »

Thieves have an ability called 'Secret Hunt' which allows you to kill a monster and receive a prize for it at any Fur Shop. Hence why it's called poaching.

Uhm, isn't it just called "Poach" now? :P

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Al Baron wrote: »

Uhm, isn't it just called "Poach" now? :P
    Yeah, but I can only rationalize having one hand held so I'm playing the PSX version again.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    What level are you usually towards the end of the game?

You can still do very well the last five or so battles if your between 50-60. Some people finish lower than that and to tell you the truth it may be better so you get a bigger challenge.

Also if you don't know where the "end' comes into effect ask us, you won't be able to go back out into the world ( ala almost every other Final Fantasy ) and there is so much to do.

As for the "poaching" yeah when I stated I can't wait to poach the bastard was reference to his offspring, my bad :P

I'll put them in my team - have them kill a little - then when they least expect it I'll have my Monk hold the Dragon down while Ramza gives it a proper Samurai death.

I want a Holy Lance.........early!

Divider on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Will that count as a casualty for yourself on your records screen?

KiTA on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KiTA wrote: »

Will that count as a casualty for yourself on your records screen?

No, poaching doesn't count.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I've never played this before, just picked it up last night on a few recommendations. Seems the general consensus is that I should play through it once or twice before digging into FAQs and such. Is that a good idea, or will I get wrecked?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    So I've never played this before, just picked it up last night on a few recommendations. Seems the general consensus is that I should play through it once or twice before digging into FAQs and such. Is that a good idea, or will I get wrecked?

Once should make you fall in love with the game.

Twice will want you to do and get everything you can.

You will lose many man hours either way. Find out what jobs are more useful ( to you ) so maybe on your next playthrough you can unlock certain jobs faster.

Few tips I can give you without ruining anything ~

Chemists will get you far....at times better than your White Mage
    Pay attention to your teams brave and faith, will explain why your attacks and magic aren't so hot.
    Make a master thief as soon as you can, well at least before Chapter 3.
    Make your party versatile for any upcoming fights, have them be a Knight at first then throw them into an Archer for example. Combinations will take you far.

Divider on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Alright, thanks for the advice. Guess I'll be back in a few weeks or so.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

You will lose many man hours either way. Find out what jobs are more useful ( to you ) so maybe on your next playthrough you can unlock certain jobs faster.

Pay attention to your teams brave and faith, will explain why your attacks and magic aren't so hot.
    Make your party versatile for any upcoming fights, have them be a Knight at first then throw them into an Archer for example. Combinations will take you far.

Heh I kind of feel like White Mages are useless...

Drez on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Heh I kind of feel like White Mages are useless...

I thought so on my first playthrough. I never really used a white mage at all. Now on this playthrough I'm using one, and she's quite useful, as I have her 2nd skill as a mystic. So she follows the party making enemies weaker, and then healing my party when needed.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    White Mages are just fine as long as your not a bunch of athiests.

Let's face it. Arise is a thousand times better than Phoenix Down.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So uim, yeah.

I picked up a WRT54G (v8, was not aware this was important). After a bit of confusion, I have DD-WRT on it, but I have the Micro version, not the standard with Kai (the PSP->Online tunneling multiplayer software).

Just try it out, there are plenty of non-standard WiFi access points that the PSP can go through that isn't officially tested to work with Xlink. In fact I can't really think why any router that a PSP can connect through wouldn't be able to work with Xlink kai as long as you are able to get the router to pass on the MAC address of whatever is being connected to it, which every router should be able to perform by now.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah most classes have there ups/downs. You can always make a White Mage/Chemist.

White Magic
    Items
    Vanish / HP Boost / Auto Potion ( with X Potions only ) / Dragonheart
    Equip Gun
    Move +3 / Walk on Water ( because its cool ) / Fly

At least there you have the best of both worlds in healing and can still stay in the back shooting stuff. I wouldn't do this until you have a badass elemental gun later in the game.

Chemist/Bards with Swiftness can kick just as much ass.

Divider on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Swiftness affects Bard Songs?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So uim, yeah.

Yay, you sig'd me. :D

I can't answer your technical question though.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I actually have a WRT54G through pure chance, but I am hesitant on fucking with the firmware as it cost me about a hundred bucks and I dont want a piece of trash. Also I need internet.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Get Short Charge its the only way magic is useful other than Calcs.

khain on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    khain wrote: »

Flare, Holy, Haste, and summoning bombs disagree.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »
    khain wrote: »

Flare, Holy, Haste, and summoning bombs disagree.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ugh... I want to like this new Luso character, but when I get him at level 25 while the rest of my normal cast and crew is sitting at 55+, it's difficult. Of course, the same can be said for the rest of the storyline characters really.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Slag, what the fuck were you doing?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I got Luso when the highest level in my party was 20. Wiegraf 2 was handing me my own ass before my party piled up on him.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    globetroglobetro Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, after reading the last few pages of posts, I just learned that the stats you gain from leveling up depends on your current job. So far, I've just been rotating the jobs of my characters so that they "max out" the job level of each job. It seems like this probably is a pretty bad approach to leveling a character, as I assume my stat-gains will be all over the map.

So, I'm assuming the best way to level your character would be to determine ahead of time the primary and secondary job skills you'll be using, and just level up using those two jobs? Or are there specific jobs that give better stat gains than others?

globetro on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    globetro wrote: »
    Hmm, after reading the last few pages of posts, I just learned that the stats you gain from leveling up depends on your current job. So far, I've just been rotating the jobs of my characters so that they "max out" the job level of each job. It seems like this probably is a pretty bad approach to leveling a character, as I assume my stat-gains will be all over the map.

So, I'm assuming the best way to level your character would be to determine ahead of time the primary and secondary job skills you'll be using, and just level up using those two jobs? Or are there specific jobs that give better stat gains than others?

Well, that would be ideal. What you're doing means your characters will be 98% as effective as anyone elses.

Class gains via level up only really matter if you're doing the level up/down trick. other than that, it doesn't matter. In my current play through on the PSX, characters A and B have the same stats both as a ninja and as a wizard. However, Character A has been either a monk or ninja for 90% of his levels, while Character B has been a Wizard for 90% of her levels.

Basically, don't worry about it. The only significant thing for "normal" playthroughs is that males are better at physical classes based on stat growth, and females are better at magicians.

The perfumes more than make up for this for females, as the Chantage makes them invincible, and others offer equally absurd benefits.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Onion Knights also get absurd crap too.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do certain classes only unlock at certain points in the game? I'm nearing the end of chapter 1, and two characters have the job levels at the right spots for the Ninja job to open up, but it hasn't appeared yet.

Can someone clarify the job level requirements for Ninja? Maybe I'm retarded and doing it wrong...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Do certain classes only unlock at certain points in the game? I'm nearing the end of chapter 1, and two characters have the job levels at the right spots for the Ninja job to open up, but it hasn't appeared yet.

Can someone clarify the job level requirements for Ninja? Maybe I'm retarded and doing it wrong...
    It used to be Lv. 3 Archer and Lv. 4 Thief (along with Lv. 2 Geomancer), but the PSP version bumps those up to Lv. 4 and Lv. 5, respectively (the Geo requirement stays the same.)

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Slag, what the fuck were you doing?

When I level up, I don't fuck around. :)

Right now, my party consists of Ramza (Dragoon), and four random characters I had from the get go... they are another Dragoon, Monk, Orator, and Arithmetician. Really, I could probably just do all storyline battles straight and beat the game now.
    Shadowfire wrote:

No - there is not a chapter restriction on any class. Now, if vendors have weapons for them, that's another matter (such as Spears, Guns, Thrown Weapons, Katanas, etc.).
    Archer - Level 4
    Thief - Level 5
    Geomancer - Level 2

Slagmire on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No shit. I'm hoping you've played the PSX version if you're burning levels like that.

But making themes parties is awesome. Awesome. It looks like Pata's [Let's Play!] died for FFT. I guess I could give it a shot either using A) my copy of FFT at home or B) try to steal my friend's PSP and use War of the Lions, which would be cooler.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No shit. I'm hoping you've played the PSX version if you're burning levels like that.

Several times over - A party of all 99s? Oh, yeah - I've done that. I'm about to turn Rapha into my null Bravery wench so I can get all the items in the DD when chapter 4 rolls around. That, and have Ramza start his Samurai training.
    But making themes parties is awesome. Awesome. It looks like Pata's [Let's Play!] died for FFT. I guess I could give it a shot either using A) my copy of FFT at home or B) try to steal my friend's PSP and use War of the Lions, which would be cooler.

That'll be nice :)

Slagmire on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I really would prefer the damn War of the Lions for a Let's Play since the translation is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I really would prefer the damn War of the Lions for a Let's Play since the translation is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better.

PSP Slim + Component Out Cable + Component In Video Card = $Texas?

Slagmire on