Options

Tattoos and Piercings: Self-mutilation for self-expression?

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I wonder how much of this kind of thing is "Kissing up to old people," "kissing up to snobby people," and "because some people would abuse a privilege nobody can have it."

The one job I had that I was able to wear my eyebrow ring (Independantly owned Baskin Robbins) was frequently trafficed by old folks. They loved it. They always asked if it hurt and chatted with me about it.

I think that it is the middle-aged that seem to have the biggest problem with it. The same people who are freaking out about playground equipment...the same people who are freaking out about censorship....everyone thinks that the world is out to get their kids. I had one mother seem horrified when her little girl asked her about when she could get something like that. (A piercing)

They left the store after that.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I guess I have a "bad tattoo." It's lyrics of a band I'm not so into anymore, and my ex-boyfriend got the exact same thing done to him in the same location. We are no longer together but still friends. So I guess you could say that's embarrassing, but I don't really see it that way, because it's a symbol of some really great times I had, a really awesome time in my life when I was discovering myself, and a person that changed my life. So of course it might not be so relevant to me now, but I would never have it removed, and I don't care if people ask me about it now.

Of course no one does cause it's on my hip and only a few people see it. :P

I also have an Egyptian heiroglyph on my upper back, and hope to eventually get another tattoo at some point - not sure what it would be though. The ex-boyfriend has gone on to get a fiery angel on his back and two LOTR tats on his sides - one side the Riders of Rohan horse and the other the Tree of Gondor. Once you start, it's hard to stop.

I don't consider it mutilation in any form - the ones I have are either a memory or a reference to something I love, or both. To some people. it's art and that's it. No matter why you get a tattoo though, I don't think it's fair to call it uncivilized.

Medopine on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Once you start, it's hard to stop.

haha, I'm seeing this with my best mate, and its kind of the only thing that bothers me about it.

To be perfectly honest, I find 90%+ of the tattoos I've seen ugly, but the thing is that they're not for me so its not really relevant.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone have any kind of survey information indicating that the majority of older people with tattoos regret the decision? I think the "yeah but you're gonna be 60 and hate it" is thrown around way too often. Maybe I'm putting too much faith in peoples ability to make sound decisions for themselves, but I think it's unfair to assume that everyone that gets a tattoo will regret it in the future. Like Medo said, it's a reminder of a time in your life. Why is it expected that people with tattoos will look back on that time in their life and say "Ugh, I was so stupid back then"?

That being said, my ex told me one day she wanted a tattoo. A week later she had found a tribal design and had it inked. That kind of behaviour is dumb and makes permanent body modification look bad. She may love that thing forever, but considering what it "meant" to her (ooh purty put it on me), she'll probably be cursing it in twenty years. But there's no reason that behaviour like that should should reflect poorly upon tattooing at all. Just because a stupid person does something without fully considering the consequences, doesn't mean that whatever they decided is a stupid thing for anyone to do (I hope that makes sense).

exis on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    exis wrote: »
    Does anyone have any kind of survey information indicating that the majority of older people with tattoos regret the decision? I think the "yeah but you're gonna be 60 and hate it" is thrown around way too often. Maybe I'm putting too much faith in peoples ability to make sound decisions for themselves, but I think it's unfair to assume that everyone that gets a tattoo will regret it in the future. Like Medo said, it's a reminder of a time in your life. Why is it expected that people with tattoos will look back on that time in their life and say "Ugh, I was so stupid back then"?

Here's one.

Looks like most don't regret it. More interesting, to me at least, is why those that regret it do so. Number one answer? Name of a person you (presumably) no longer like/love. After that, it looks stupid. Coming in third you've got that it faded over time. Numbers two and three are what keep me out of the tattoo game...I'd never be dumb enough to get a girlfriend's (or even wife's) name tattood on me.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    exis wrote: »
    That being said, my ex told me one day she wanted a tattoo. A week later she had found a tribal design and had it inked. That kind of behaviour is dumb and makes permanent body modification look bad. She may love that thing forever, but considering what it "meant" to her (ooh purty put it on me), she'll probably be cursing it in twenty years. But there's no reason that behaviour like that should should reflect poorly upon tattooing at all. Just because a stupid person does something without fully considering the consequences, doesn't mean that whatever they decided is a stupid thing for anyone to do (I hope that makes sense).

See I don't think that's all bad. I mean there are all these people who plan shit out for years, where as that's a reflection of right now, then and there. I think it's a great reflection of a moment in life.

Blake T on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    I just wish I could find something I liked well enough to engrave onto my person permanently, or a location I could pierce without making myself look like a tool. I'm just one of nature's squares.
    I'm a fan of the eyebrow piercing.
    http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9104/img03451pk0.jpg
    There's not a lot of choices, though. My friend had his bridge pierced for a while, that was definitely one of my favourites. Wiki says that rejects a lot, might not be a good first try.

I've actually thought of the eyebrow a few times. Hmmm...

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just wish I could find something I liked well enough to engrave onto my person permanently, or a location I could pierce without making myself look like a tool. I'm just one of nature's squares.
    There's not a lot of choices, though. My friend had his bridge pierced for a while, that was definitely one of my favourites. Wiki says that rejects a lot, might not be a good first try.

The eyebrow is one of the most rejected spots for a piercing on the face. As long as you go in knowing it may not stick, go for it! Doesn't hurt anymore than a shot and is easy to clean.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

It's a pretty good one, you should try it ouuut ;) It's relatively modest, for a facial piercing. Sometimes I accidentally catch mine on a shirt or something stupid, but it's been great to me - it was barely puffy the first day after I got it.

It is kinda addicting - as soon as I got the brow, I started thinking about others. Thankfully, I'm not too keen on the other piercings. Actually, I think I just got myself interested in a tongue piercing typing this D: Goodbye, 60 dollars. Does anybody have one? I have a problem with the tip of my tongue pushing on my front teeth, would the piercing exacerbate it?

I'm sure it'll all be downhill after the first tat, though.

edit: convinced myself out of the tongue. Just seems like to much could go wrong with it.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Dentists hate them because apparently its not uncommon to bite the ball and break a tooth, but half the people I know seem to have them anyway. not really my idea of awesome.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Personally I want someone to figure out an implantable LCD screen. One of those thin film flexible dealios, and then power if with glucose metabolized from your blood.

Yeah let's face it, I prefer technical hurdles to going anywhere near the term "self-expression".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »

The eyebrow is one of the most rejected spots for a piercing on the face. As long as you go in knowing it may not stick, go for it! Doesn't hurt anymore than a shot and is easy to clean.
    Had my left eyebrow done twice. First time lasted 8 months the second time 18. Don't regret either piercing. They were awesome and I miss them.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, tongue piercing = hawt.
    And septum piercing on some (admittedly a small percentage) girls is the hottest thing ever.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    evilbob wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Had my left eyebrow done twice. First time lasted 8 months the second time 18. Don't regret either piercing. They were awesome and I miss them.

I have a horizontal eyebrow and I have no plans whatsoever to do a second one and no regrets about this one( I wanted to do an anti-eyebrow but piercer suggested against it because of very high & very fast migration rate). It healed for about 1 week(not kidding) and I haven't had a problem since.(it HAS to migrate at some point tho).
    As far as I'm concerned piercings & tattoos are a fashion accessory just as any other form of bijoux and to be honest, most people use fashion to achieve a nice balance between looks & comfort and would never jeopardize either one just for the "wohoo feel different" kick.
    About the thread question, "Self mutilation for self-expression" is just begging for a "No, thanks." answer.

zeeny on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    ZeeBeeKay wrote: »
    Also, t The Cat: I've had my ears pierced for five or six years now, hardly ever wear earrings, and can still wear them when the occasion calls for it. On the other hand, I wore them almost constantly for the first year or so. Just saying that the holes don't necessarily close up, but the do get a whole bunch smaller.

Ah, you're lucky then. I have to be really careful with my ears.

This is from a ways back but I thought I'd comment on it anyway.

I think it varies a lot on the person, Cat.

For what it's worth I got the cartilage in my ear pierced in November of 2002. I had an earring in it pretty much all the time (save for job interviews) from then until about December 2006, when I got my headphone cord stuck on a trashcan while walking and ripped the earring straight out of my ear (a little blood, no damage though thankfully).

I had been contemplating removing it anyway so I took it as a sign. I didn't have anything in my ear since then, until my girlfriend left one of her studs on my desk a week or two ago. I was just playing with it while talking to her on Skype and started poking around my ear out of habit. It went straight through the hole I thought had closed up no problem, no blood or anything.

So yeah, who knows how long it can take to close a hole. At least a year for me, apparently.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A few people in here mentioned that fear of needles kept them away from tattoos.

I just wanted to chime in that I'm a guy that is terrified of needles and routinely pass out during any kind of blood work, but the tattoo was no sweat. It more feels like someone is pinching you than anything else, or a wartenberg(sp) pinwheel. No big deal.

Hells of addictive though. I planned to get this one for years, because it was important to me, and now I'm like "someone show me a hot jpg that I can get drawn on my face"

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only way I would get a tattoo is if I was in the military. And my unit had a sweet motto. Something like: "Death from above" or "Hell on wheels"

Other than that I don't really see the point of tattoos. Other than for identifying which women to stay away from (via the "tramp stamp")

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    The only way I would get a tattoo is if I was in the military. And my unit had a sweet motto. Something like: "Death from above" or "Hell on wheels"

Other than that I don't really see the point of tatoos. Other than for identifying which women to stay away from.

O_o?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »

Other than that I don't really see the point of tatoos. Other than for identifying which women to stay away from.

O_o?

I edited my post to clarify.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

O_o?

Bear in mind that Gooey is one of those "just one bitch" smacktards.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

O_o?

I edited my post to clarify.

Oh okay then, that's better.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

O_o?

O_o?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If people want to stay away from girls with hot tattoos than that's cool by me it just means that I get a better selection.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

O_o?

"Just one bitch"... what?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

O_o?

O_o?

Well you see, Sabs, in some people's fantasy-worlds a girl getting a tattoo is irrefutable evidence that she's a diseased whore, as everyone in these worlds knows that A) promiscuity should punished in women, B) unlike men women only want tattoos so that people will know they are promiscuous, and C) anyone who has more sex than me has AIDS.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm just confused as to what "just one bitch" is supposed to mean.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

O_o?

O_o?

Well you see, Sabs, in some people's fantasy-worlds a girl getting a tattoo is irrefutable evidence that she's a diseased whore, as everyone in these worlds knows that A) promiscuity should punished in women, B) unlike men women only want tattoos so that people will know they are promiscuous, and C) anyone who has more sex than me has AIDS.

Oh well, my three tattoos = whore. :P (non-gaming related ones, sorry).

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

O_o?

O_o?

A) I'm not Sabs.

B) I never said anything remotely close to that. Thanks for putting words in my mouth though.

C) You sound like you need a hug.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

"Just one bitch with many faces"? i.e; all women are one and also like to fuck men over, i.e; misogynist of the blame-my-relationship-fuckups-on-vagina variety.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Me too. The important thing to realize here, however, is that VC just likes to attack/ride people with no real provocation whatsoever.

- Ooey "Just One Bitch" Gooey

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    oh.

I wish I had more to say, as i can't post foranother like 4 minutes.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

"Just one bitch with many faces"? i.e; all women are one and also like to fuck men over, i.e; misogynist of the blame-my-relationship-fuckups-on-vagina variety.

Sorry, but I'm not that way in the slightest.

Can we stop derailing this thread now? I want to read about everyone's sweet "ink" and "tatts" that apparently I should love because otherwise I am a misogynist.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Me too. The important thing to realize here, however, is that VC just likes to attack/ride people with no real provocation whatsoever.

Well you called my friend a whore. That's pretty much provocation if ever I've seen it.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Gooey, perhaps you can explain what you meant when you said that you avoid girls with ink? Usually, that means that ink = whore and whore = not good enough. Maybe you've got different reasons?

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Well you called my friend a whore. That's pretty much provocation if ever I've seen it.

Was this in another thread or something?

I'm completely fucking lost here.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I don't know your friend, and I didn't know she had a tattoo.

Sorry, but the lower back tribal/heart/butterfly tattoo thing is played out and just plain ugly. Plus, all the girls I know with one fill the moniker "tramp stamp" nicely. If your friend doesn't fit, then cheers. She breaks the mold.

Good for her though with that tattoo. She's done a good job expressing herself.

???

MikeMan wrote: »

That makes 2 of us, Mike.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »

He's saying he would never touch a woman with a tat or a tramp stamp.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gooey, perhaps you can explain what you meant when you said that you avoid girls with ink? Usually, that means that ink = whore and whore = not good enough. Maybe you've got different reasons?

I think he meant specifically the tramp stamp. Cause, you know, they're tramps.

To be honest, I just don't like how the lower back tattoo looks, regardless of the girl's morality.

Edit: Beat'd so hard.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've always thought that tatoos are alright if it's something that really matters to you, and if it isn't fucking out of control everywhere. For example, this guy has a tattoo of 2 teardrops to represent the loss of his father.
    ncb_smith_300.jpg

It's actually meaningful and surprisingly tasteful.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I avoid girls with the lower back tattoo as in my experience the majority aren't girls that I would want to be around. Sue me.

PS. My girlfriend has a sweet jolly roger tattoo. But I hate her for it.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png