Options

Tattoos and Piercings: Self-mutilation for self-expression?

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    ZeeBeeKay wrote: »
    Also plastic surgery is actual body modification and not creating a (mostly) heal-able hole or inserting ink a little bit under the skin. It seems far more invasive, at least to me.

(This was meant to go under Incenj's post up there)

yeah, you're never going to get me to decide that a tat on your ass is worse than ass implants :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Also plastic surgery is actual body modification and not creating a (mostly) heal-able hole or inserting ink a little bit under the skin. It seems far more invasive, at least to me.

(This was meant to go under Incenj's post up there)

yeah, you're never going to get me to decide that a tat on your ass is worse than ass implants :P
    Now now, Cat, no need to discriminate against those born without shapely behinds. That's uncalled for.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    God I had an earring in my capricious youth and it was such a horrible idea.... ::shame::

grey where did you get yours? I got mine on my back. It's pretty big, so it went over some bones, but it never really hurt.... I've actually been anxious to get another one for about two years now. I had a friend that got his greek letters on his ankle, and he nearly cried in the seat and tried to tell me that his one square inch of ink was over his ankle bone, which is the most painful place to get a tattoo, so that's why it hurt so bad.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    God I had an earring in my capricious youth and it was such a horrible idea.... ::shame::

grey where did you get yours? I got mine on my back. It's pretty big, so it went over some bones, but it never really hurt.... I've actually been anxious to get another one for about two years now. I had a friend that got his greek letters on his ankle, and he nearly cried in the seat and tried to tell me that his one square inch of ink was over his ankle bone, which is the most painful place to get a tattoo, so that's why it hurt so bad.
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken your back has the least nerve endings. So, really, you'd expect it to hurt less. Though the bone would hurt more...

I think that it's supposed to be why we turn our backs to things flung at us.

Edit: Also apparently elbows hurt a ton. So if someone has arm tattoos, but none on the elbow, you know they're a wuss.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yay I was right in putting words in people's mouths!

That does seem to be his main objection, though, doesn't it? I can see how tattoos and piercings could be considered "uncivilized" by virtue of their tendency to be associated with coming of age rituals and etc in more tribal societies since forever, but that hardly seems like something that should be pejorative.

Exactly, meanings shift. There's a tattoo parlour in Harrods of London now. Middle-aged society matrons are getting discreet roses and their children's names (or their chihuahua's, haha). I don't think you can really call it uncivilised when people who own whole sets of Royal Doulton aren't blinking at it.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Google magnetic implants to see some cool but (very graphic, shows surgery, NSFW) dangerous implants.
    Earth magnets aren't the best thing to put in your body. D:
    Still a very neat idea if it could be safe.
    I would get them if it wasn't so risky.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    From my experience, tattooing doesn't actually feel anything like needles. When they do the lines it feels a little like a razor (but not as intense); when they fill, it' feels a bit like an electric sander. I'm a bit needle-phobic myself, but all my art is on my shoulders, upper back, or along my spine, so I've never had to see the gun while it was working.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Google magnetic implants to see some cool but (very graphic, shows surgery, NSFW) dangerous implants.
    Earth magnets aren't the best thing to put in your body. D:
    Still a very neat idea if it could be safe.
    I would get them if it wasn't so risky.

I've got to say while incredibly dangerous, that's pretty cool. Being able to feel the "aura" of metal around you, and having higher "sensation" would be awesome, but any time you got really sick... like MRI (medical scanner) sick, you would be screwed. It would be more dangerous than its ever going to be worth probably

amateurhour on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    they're silly for the most part, but meh people can do what they want to their bodies for the most part.

I think it can be taken to an unhealthy extent, and the folks that enable that type of behavior are pretty irresponsible. I'm pretty sure both the chick getting botox, a second nose job, lipo and more breast augmentation, and the guy with a subcision and 4 barbells through his cock, probably would be better served by psychological consoling.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Two pics here: http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/greyghost33/

These are from later at night on the day I got it so it still looks pretty raw. It healed up really nicely. The lion is from the old crest of the royal family of Scotland and the Latin bit is the national motto (my ancestors are all from Scotland, and yeah I know a lot of WASPy people are gonna have some Scottish ancestors blah blah blah. I'm proud of it.)

What is yours?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    redx wrote: »
    they're silly for the most part, but meh people can do what they want to their bodies for the most part.

I think it can be taken to an unhealthy extent, and the folks that enable that type of behavior are pretty irresponsible. I'm pretty sure both the chick getting botox, a second nose job, lipo and more breast augmentation, and the guy with a subcision and 4 barbells through his cock, probably would be better served by psychological consoling.

I know a guy (sorta - I've had limited interaction with him but I greatly dislike him) who, according to girls who have been intimate with him, has a number of piercings in his dick.

Or had, I should say.

His last girlfriend got pissed at him for something and ripped them all out in one good yank.

They say the damage was nigh irreparable.

Edit: Double Post!!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I must have terrified you all into silence with that last story.

T-T-T-Triple Post!!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Decadence wrote: »
    I've never understood Western cultures' obsession with piercings and tattoos.
    Obsession? Its a fairly small subculture, and hardly universal. Where on earth did you get this idea?

It's not really all that small anymore. It seems like every other person I run into has a tattoo nowadays...though of course the first poll I found suggests that it's only about 16% (36% among 25-29 year olds, though).

They're definitely more accepted than they used to be. In the office where I worked, the forty-year old women (average age) in the office were getting tattoos all the time. They got things like fairies and flowers tattooed on their back or on their arm . . . One lady, her husband got a giant "portrait" tattoo of his infant son put on his lower leg. I think the only people who didn't have tattoos were me (I've never seen a tattoo that stayed bright enough for my tastes) and the office manager who was afraid of needles.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    the real cover-half-your-body types aren't common, though

so where'd the OP go? I'm still waiting :(

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really don't have an issue with tattoos and piercings.
    But I do often wonder in ten, twenty years would you feel the same about getting that done to you?

If you keep the plugs in your ears well into your senior years with the rate they streach how can you not get on hooked on a doorknob?

I used to have a tattoo, it was removed while I was in a coma. Part of me misses it for the most part it was of a different age.

My brother's freind has a number of tattoos and piercings around his body and continues to get them.
    I really want to say something about getting better tattoos or the choice of bars and rings he places in his ear and other places. I feel he gets enough of it from his childern.

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I used to have a tattoo, it was removed while I was in a coma. Part of me misses it for the most part it was of a different age.

This sounds like a hell of a story.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Brainleech wrote: »

This sounds like a hell of a story.

possibly more suited to the 'show us yer tats' thread, though. Lets keep this one for discussing the merits or otherwise of tattooing.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If your really going to get a tattoo at least get a good to decent one.
    I know everyone starts out in learning a skill but do you really want the crowning achievement of a series of tattoos done by someone starting out?

Brainleech on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thumbs up to the third post. Pretty much what I would have said minus a lot of swearing and anger.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The OP makes it sound like the addiction of tats/metal is sweeping across the states, claiming more casualties than drinking and fast food consumption combined :D

Grey, that story is magnificent. That's one place to not have them, I'd say. I guess anywhere it gets in the way - used to be with a girl that was pierced in places that were more in the way than they were attractive. I would agree that tats are way more trendy lately, what with all the lower-back swirlies and the metalcore-sleeves, but fuck it, it's not a big deal at all and it's their life. I'm still planning my first tat, since I want it to be something interesting and personal, not just "cool."

edit: cough cough

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As we get older we tend to forget the memories we've "forged" as the younger us starts to deteriorate at the sign of age, so we choose to mark our bodies to remember. I, personally, have a story behind every tattoo that I want to remember, that I need to remember-and call it what you will, but they certainly help to remind me not only where I've come from-but where I am going. They are symbols of my life, and of pieces of my life that I choose not to forget. They are there to remind me. Just as one writes in a journal, I write on my body. It truly is no different than being a poet, or an author. We put pen to pad, only our pad is a landscape of flesh.

Saying you don't understand tattoos is, in my mind, akin to saying that you don't understand why people enjoy a good trip to the beach, or a good book, or a good whiskey on a cold day.

Crayon on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's in no way ironic that a guy named "Decadence" is being so prudish about tattoos / piercings. Regardless, it just seems like he's just trying to create an issue, and then "solve" it. Tenuous connections to skin cancer aside, it's a pretty harmless activity, provided you get it done in a clean, reputable shop. I just wish I could find something I liked well enough to engrave onto my person permanently, or a location I could pierce without making myself look like a tool. I'm just one of nature's squares.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It's in no way ironic that a guy named "Decadence" is being so prudish about tattoos / piercings. Regardless, it just seems like he's just trying to create an issue, and then "solve" it. Tenuous connections to skin cancer aside, it's a pretty harmless activity, provided you get it done in a clean, reputable shop. I just wish I could find something I liked well enough to engrave onto my person permanently, or a location I could pierce without making myself look like a tool. I'm just one of nature's squares.
    I'm a fan of the eyebrow piercing.
    http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9104/img03451pk0.jpg
    There's not a lot of choices, though. My friend had his bridge pierced for a while, that was definitely one of my favourites. Wiki says that rejects a lot, might not be a good first try.

and t Crayon: very poetic, it's like a tattoo on my screen

METAzraeL on

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love piercings and I have my eyebrow pierced.

You'd be suprised how hard it is to get a job. (well, before you learn) I have been told on more than one occasion that they found someone better suited for said job, or even didn't give me an answer.

The thing is, I never even wore my ring to an interview or especially at work! (I understand that you should put on a professional face when in the work place and piercings have never been part of that place.). All of these things were judged before I was able to even get an application. Someone sees you coming and asking for an app and they say that they have "run out" or "the poisition has been filled" but they leave the sign (help wanted) up in the window, or the paper ad continues to run.

I've learned to hide the fact that I have my eyebrow pierced from my employer all the time now. I take it out before I leave the house and put it back in when I get home. (I used to do this in my car right before and right after work, but I was literally fired due to being seen doing this)

I think people like Decadence are fueling the piercing-phobia this country has. (USA)

We like the way they look. Is that really such a big problem?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What is yours?

It's a dragon in an enclosed circle. I could get into the whole deeper meaning thing but I won't... What sucks is that when people see it who are my age, they assume it's the mortal kombat logo... that was kind of a pisser for a while, but it wore of pretty quick. :)

Also Cat: He started a thread in H/A about weather or not he should go to law school and kind of left this one, just so ya know..

double edit: Just saw the post about not making this a tat thread.. I was just answering grey's question, not planning on doing that.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would have to go with METAzrael and Crayon. My tatt is important to me not becaue it makes me cool. Because it really dosen't I am large and my boobs allready sag. However My tree of life on myupper left chest (near my heart) it an important symbol of what I beleive in now and ideals I always want to be reminded of.

My next tatt is a dragon curled around my right ankle. My mother loved Dragons and Anne McCaffery. It is myway of memorialzing a woman who was very important to me and still is even though she has been dead for 3 years now.

As with anything Tatts, ppiercing, WoW and hell even reading can be taken to unhealthy extremes. The only thing to do is make sure you are not ones of those unhealthy extremes even if you are taking it to the limit.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Spectre, you just take yours out? I'd be worried that mine would close up, haven't taken it out at all since I got it in. Thankfully I work at my university where everyone is lax and cool, and I haven't had to deal with it.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited October 2007
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Spectre, you just take yours out? I'd be worried that mine would close up, haven't taken it out at all since I got it in. Thankfully I work at my university where everyone is lax and cool, and I haven't had to deal with it.

8 hours isn't too bad and I've had this for about 4 years now...but when I hit a 12 hour shift or I space out putting it back in, I have to break it open a lil bit. Stings, but is generally not too bad.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I love piercings and I have my eyebrow pierced.

You'd be suprised how hard it is to get a job. (well, before you learn) I have been told on more than one occasion that they found someone better suited for said job, or even didn't give me an answer.

The thing is, I never even wore my ring to an interview or especially at work! (I understand that you should put on a professional face when in the work place and piercings have never been part of that place.). All of these things were judged before I was able to even get an application. Someone sees you coming and asking for an app and they say that they have "run out" or "the poisition has been filled" but they leave the sign (help wanted) up in the window, or the paper ad continues to run.

I've learned to hide the fact that I have my eyebrow pierced from my employer all the time now. I take it out before I leave the house and put it back in when I get home. (I used to do this in my car right before and right after work, but I was literally fired due to being seen doing this)

I think people like Decadence are fueling the piercing-phobia this country has. (USA)

We like the way they look. Is that really such a big problem?

yeah, that's completely ridiculous. They've got the right to ask you to wear a clear plastic retainer while at work if they're trying for a certain atmosphere in their shops, and in food prep you really have to cover them with a bandaid, but people shouldn't be losing jobs over them. American employers seem more inclined to police their employees lives than anyone else I've seen outside of sweatshops, though - I've read a lot about black people having the same problems as you because of wearing hairstyles like cornrows or short dreads, which are the best way to manage super-frizzy hair, for instance.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, the few places that I have worked that didn't fire me outright/not hire me when they found out made me remove it.

At this point, I'm used to it..but it would be nice if I were allowed to wear it.

I really want to get my lip pierced (yeah yeah...I like them a lot) but that would require me to leave it in for about 6 months before I could even think about taking it out. =/

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    you should buy a retainer, though. They're only a couple of bucks and damn near invisible. Its a lot cleaner than reinjuring the hole that frequently, and you're far less likely to develop unwanted scar tissue that way.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's worse with hair, frankly.

You can cover most tatts with makeup or clothes, and piercings can be removed while you work, hair has to grow out or be dyed or cut or whatever. D:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    you should buy a retainer, though. They're only a couple of bucks and damn near invisible. Its a lot cleaner than reinjuring the hole that frequently.

See, I would be fired. You can still see them.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    you should buy a retainer, though. They're only a couple of bucks and damn near invisible. Its a lot cleaner than reinjuring the hole that frequently.

man, fuck those guys D:

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    @TehSpectre: You got a bar or a ring through your eyebrow? Unless its a ball capture ring you might want to think about getting internally threaded jewelry so you aren't yanking a screw thread through it every day.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2007

man, fuck everyone but coffee shops and tatto parlors D:

Fix'd.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    evilbob wrote: »
    @TehSpectre: You got a bar or a ring through your eyebrow? Unless its a ball capture ring you might want to think about getting internally threaded jewelry so you aren't yanking a screw thread through it every day.

No worries, I have a capture one. I lose the balls easier, but I don't have to try and screw on anything. I can't handle those tiny screws.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

man, fuck those guys D:

agreed... that's the only downer about working for government. Every bit of ink I get will have to be well hidden.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    When I worked a a casino they had out of a 200+ manual 35 of pages dealt with appearace.
    They were beyond asses about it they gave no exceptions for anything even if it was part of your religion.

I knew of one person that had one arm fully done and part of another, he wore long sleaves to cover it but they had rules about long sleave shirts because of several tellers stealing cash. So after weeks of harassment off he went.

Brainleech on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wonder how much of this kind of thing is "Kissing up to old people," "kissing up to snobby people," and "because some people would abuse a privilege nobody can have it."

Incenjucar on