As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tattoos and Piercings: Self-mutilation for self-expression?

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's not so much that they're all whores; that's a blatant generalization, an elitist judgment, and is silly.

It's more that people who would get a tattoo like that are usually trying to show they're "mature" and "sexy."

It's usually compensation.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »
    It's not so much that they're all whores; that's a blatant generalization, an elitist judgment, and is silly.

It's more that people who would get a tattoo like that are usually trying to show they're "mature" and "sexy."

Thank you.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I thought the teardrops were a prison thing?

Medopine on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    I'm just confused as to what "just one bitch" is supposed to mean.

Me too. The important thing to realize here, however, is that VC just likes to attack/ride people with no real provocation whatsoever.

Well you called my friend a whore. That's pretty much provocation if ever I've seen it.

Was this in another thread or something?

I'm completely fucking lost here.

If I said "I don't see the point of Starter jackets except to identify which black-people to avoid", how would you parse that?

I didn't get the impression that he was casting moral judgment daggers at them. Maybe I was wrong. I just interpreted his original statement to mean "i personally tend to dislike the types of people who would get such a tattoo." Which might be an ignorant statement, but isn't particularly abominable.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Medopine wrote: »

Some gangs do it, a tear for each person they've murdered.

Or something like that, if I recall.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    His dad died of lung cancer, so the tears represent that mourning. I saw his story on ESPN.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Like painting bogeys on the fuselage of your fighter jet.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teardrop_tattoo

There you go. Guess that guy's tattoo could be appropriate, but it sure as hell could be taken the wrong way.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Thank you.

This is, of course, the exact kind of stereotyping nonsense that leads to people hating body-mods in general, and any other group defined by physical cues.

"They have X so they must be Y."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Thank you.

This is, of course, the exact kind of stereotyping nonsense that leads to people hating body-mods in general, and any other group defined by physical cues.

"They have X so they must be Y."

Like I've said, my experience has shown me that. Will I avoid women with tattoos? Certainly not, as my girlfriend has ink. But I've found that women with certain types of tattoos seem to not do it for me. For whatever reason.

Not to mention the fact that I find 99% of tattoos unattractive. Much like I find 99% of short women, brunettes, etc. to be unattractive.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Your experience with people is dictated primarily by the sorts of people you associate with. It's foolish to jump to the tattoo as the source of the problem.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    I just wish I could find something I liked well enough to engrave onto my person permanently, or a location I could pierce without making myself look like a tool. I'm just one of nature's squares.
    I'm a fan of the eyebrow piercing.
    http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9104/img03451pk0.jpg
    There's not a lot of choices, though. My friend had his bridge pierced for a while, that was definitely one of my favourites. Wiki says that rejects a lot, might not be a good first try.

I've actually thought of the eyebrow a few times. Hmmm...

The eyebrow is one of the most rejected spots for a piercing on the face. As long as you go in knowing it may not stick, go for it! Doesn't hurt anymore than a shot and is easy to clean.

My best friend in high school got an eyebrow piercing. A couple days later he went to the beach or something, and got a sunburn. It was apparently unpleasant.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    PSA: When you use the phrase 'tramp-stamp', you are, in point of fact, labelling all women with that particular style of tattoo whores. It is misogynist. It is stupid. It reflects a lack of maturity and judgement on your part. There's really no way around this, so quit your fucking whining when someone calls you on being a stupid hateful fuck. Either stop using the term or man up and admit that you're happy to pass judgement on a stranger's sexual mores based on one part of their appearance.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I had a boss with a tatoo at the small of her back, though she never bent over long enough for me to see what it was. Certainly wasn't a whore though, but rather a married mother of two. I imagine that some women get them to communicate their free-sexuality, but it certainly isn't universal.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I want one there because it's a nice place to have one. Visible when you want it to be, covered up when you don't.

Also there's something nice about the small of the back of a woman. Dimples of Venus anyone?

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Maybe people think it's a 'tramp stamp' because it's only visible the woman's wearing either a bikini or a tank top? But yes it's a very pretty little part of the anatomy too :P

Corlis on
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The thing about tattoos is that they are permanent ... and stretch with your skin. If you happen to loose a lot of weight or gain a lot of weight your tat will not look like it once did. I don't normally go for tattoos, mind you.

Piercings? Ear piercings are fine with me. On girls, up to 3 piercings look good (more and I think it looks excessive). on guys, one or two. And if you dont want them anymore, they eventually close back up. Those big ones you can shove pencils through are completely unflattering. Nose rings from a distance kinda look like zits, in my opinion. Belly rings, I'm rather okay with, though they must be a bitch to get.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    PSA: When you use the phrase 'tramp-stamp', you are, in point of fact, labelling all women with that particular style of tattoo whores. It is misogynist. It is stupid. It reflects a lack of maturity and judgement on your part. There's really no way around this, so quit your fucking whining when someone calls you on being a stupid hateful fuck. Either stop using the term or man up and admit that you're happy to pass judgement on a stranger's sexual mores based on one part of their appearance.

Or, y'no, it's just slang.

"Tramp stamp" is easier to say than "Tattoo on a woman's lower back", and everyone knows what it means.

I guess it's pretty crude, but labelling people use the word as 'stupid hateful fucks' is kind of severe.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

"Tramp stamp" is easier to say than "Tattoo on a woman's lower back", and everyone knows what it means.

I guess it's pretty crude, but labelling people use the word as 'stupid hateful fucks' is kind of severe.

1) If you read the context, they aren't just using the word "tramp" as shorthand for "woman."

2) The word "tramp" has a meaning, subjective though it may be.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Bzzzzt! Wrong!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

No shit. But since The Cat is a mod, she pretty much gets to say what she wants.

So, yes, all-wise The Cat. I am a "stupid hateful fuck". Any other gems you'd like to lay down on me?

Back to the topic at hand, I really feel that I'm getting the short end of the stick, here. (Although I typically do 'round these parts, since most of the D&D user base makes me look like Ronald Reagan himself)

While the term "tramp stamp" is crude, yes, I have never once referred to women with a tribal-type lower back tattoo (Jesus, "tramp stamp" is a lot easier to say/type) as whores, etc. I've simply stated that I don't personally find 99% of tatts attractive, nor do I see the point getting one, and that furthermore most of the women I've met with the aforementioned type of tattoo tend to be the same type of women that I don't find particularly engaging. Of course getting a tattoo on one's lower back doesn't turn a woman into a coarse, drooling, mono-syllabic barfly. But for some reason 99% of the barflies I meet have their lower-back tribal tattoo (with or without Japanese characters) proudly accented by their exposed thong. Take that as you will.

Misogynist? Give me a fucking break. I make one (admittedly) uncouth statement and you jump all over me throwing ridiculous accusations like I'm the anti-Christ. You need a hug.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Bzzzzt! Wrong!

No? Tattoo on a woman's lower back is easier for you to say?

Well, cool, I guess.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    "Lower back tattoo."

Two more syllables, so much less judging!

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    "Lower back tattoo."

Two more syllables, so much less judging!

But it doesn't rhyme~

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    No? Tattoo on a woman's lower back is easier for you to say?

Well, cool, I guess.

Some of us value 'not insulting swaths of the population' over 'ease'. That's why I'm suggesting that you may not be thinking this through terribly clearly, even though it would be far easier just to call you a fuckwit and go about my day.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So anyways, stereotyping is stereotyping, and has the usual results.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

No shit. But since The Cat is a mod, she pretty much gets to say what she wants.

So, yes, all-wise The Cat. I am a "stupid hateful fuck". Any other gems you'd like to lay down on me?

Back to the topic at hand, I really feel that I'm getting the short end of the stick, here. (Although I typically do 'round these parts, since most of the D&D user base makes me look like Ronald Reagan himself)

While the term "tramp stamp" is crude, yes, I have never once referred to women with a tribal-type lower back tattoo (Jesus, "tramp stamp" is a lot easier to say/type) as whores, etc. I've simply stated that I don't personally find 99% of tatts attractive, nor do I see the point getting one, and that furthermore most of the women I've met with the aforementioned type of tattoo tend to be the same type of women that I don't find particularly engaging. Of course getting a tattoo on one's lower back doesn't turn a woman into a coarse, drooling, mono-syllabic barfly. But for some reason 99% of the barflies I meet have their lower-back tribal tattoo (with or without Japanese characters) proudly accented by their exposed thong. Take that as you will.

Misogynist? Give me a fucking break. I make one (admittedly) uncouth statement and you jump all over me throwing ridiculous accusations like I'm the anti-Christ. You need a hug.

she does love that word, but it's actually pretty true in this case. "tramp stamp" carries the same meaning in my mind as the N word does against blacks, or the F word regarding homosexuals. You're calling women with a tattoo on their lower back tramps. It's a label, and an awful one...Period.

Also, just let it go man. I've already been down this road.... this week.... it really doesn't matter. She doesn't agree with you, but being a mod doesn't make her right (even though in this case she is)...... everyone here is saying it's a derogatory term, not just her.. Being a mod just means she can write you up for getting off topic and arguing, therefore derailing the thread... (see VC... I learned my lesson.. I'm imparting the wisdom now. : ) )

back on topic.....

well shit, it looks like no one but decadence really shares such a hated for tattoos, and he's afk on this thread, so...um... nevermind..

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    hey, fuck you. I've never infracted anyone for disagreeing.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    hey, fuck you. I've never infracted anyone for disagreeing.

never said you did. I said you could do it for him derailing the thread...

amateurhour on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

The_More_You_Know.jpg

The thing I've never gotten about tattoos is the permanence. Sure, you can get them removed but the procedure is, by reputation, painful and something you'd definitely avoid if you could. That's probably why a lot of people who get them nowadays, seeing as tats are currently 'in', are young adults. Committing to have an image imprinted on your skin is a bit dumb. Better to go for one of those removable, temporary ones; at least that way you won't have the name of some girl you broke up with years ago, or an asian symbol you thought was hip and non-conformist when you were in college etched into your skin.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Also, has anyone heard any updates about the new tattoos that use the little bubbles of ink. It's kind of like the paintings that are all dots when you look up close, but they make a picture... The bubbles can be popped and drained, for easy tattoo removal if you ever decide you don't want it. I've heard stories of them, but they were really expensive still. Just curious if anyone has heard any news on that.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sounds like they could also pop and leak out into your skin and get all blurry and shit.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sounds like they could also pop and leak out into your skin and get all blurry and shit.

no, it's like they're mini breast implant bubbles or something (god, I just typed that). They just flow out naturally if they pop, and you get that specific ink dot replaced. You have to maintain them more than a regular tattoo though.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

no, it's like they're mini breast implant bubbles or something (god, I just typed that). They just flow out naturally if they pop, and you get that specific ink dot replaced. You have to maintain them more than a regular tattoo though.

Whoa whoa whoa, so I could get a bunch of little ink-breasts stuck in my arm? So many possibilities...

The implanted LCD screen idea that ElectricityLikesMe posted back a page or so would be really rad. We need to start incorporating more technology into our bodies.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They make belt buckles with lcd screens now.

That`s kinda close

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

*snip*

The thing I've never gotten about tattoos is the permanence. Sure, you can get them removed but the procedure is, by reputation, painful and something you'd definitely avoid if you could. That's probably why a lot of people who get them nowadays, seeing as tats are currently 'in', are young adults. Committing to have an image imprinted on your skin is a bit dumb. Better to go for one of those removable, temporary ones; at least that way you won't have the name of some girl you broke up with years ago, or an asian symbol you thought was hip and non-conformist when you were in college etched into your skin.
    But the thing is, the permanence of tattoos is what's so cool about them. When you're in love, joining the army, having some momentous event, you want to really signify it in some dramatic manner, which tatoos fit nicely. Of course some people aren't that thoughtful about them.

Corlis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    They make belt buckles with lcd screens now.

That`s kinda close
    They also have t-shirts that can detect wireless signals as well. Imagine if they could combine that with the subdermal magnet thingy.

"I can feel the internet!"

Corlis on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Do t shirts have bluetooth as well?

I'd love a handsfree tshirt

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm surprised we don't have piercings with these functions.

I mean it's pretty obvious to have a bluetooth earring.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm surprised we don't have piercings with these functions.

I mean it's pretty obvious to have a bluetooth ear.

Comeon, jewelry is one thing, I want to be part of the cyborg crowd.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg