As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metal Gear Solid 4 delayed to Q2 of 2008: Inflammatory Thread Title Here

18910111214»

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    The game will have to sell a a million on day one just to make a profit. If the company thinks that they can't make a profit on the PS3, they will definitely port it.
    Sleep wrote: »
    The game will have to sell a a million on day one just to make a profit. If the company thinks that they can't make a profit on the PS3, they will definitely port it.

I'm sure the ZOMG HUGE SUCCESS other third parties have had on the 360 recently has pretty much solidified MGS4's port.

There is one problem with these statements, Metal Gear has never sold well on a console other than the Playstations.

I'm not saying a 360 port is impossible, I just will not believe it until I see it for many reasons. There will also be a lot of cost in port this game. It was specifically designed for the PS3 architecture so the code will have to be re-worked. It's so big that it coming on a duel-layer blu-ray, so it would have to be on at least 4 duel-layer DVDs. That isn't cheap with the cost of the extra pressing and the game case.

The other unique thing is that Konami has limited say here because Kojima own the metal gear IP. So unlike in most cases they can't just do it. And quite frankly, in this case the 360 version would probably suck compared to the PS3 version.

A metal gear solid game has never been released on a console which was not market leader.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    And for the record, the whole thing about MGS4 having to sell a million in one day is a rumor/misquote. Can you guys get over that one?

By rumour/misquote you mean direct quote from the game producer Ryan Payton? Or was that interview with Reuters a misquote too?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I'm sure the ZOMG HUGE SUCCESS other third parties have had on the 360 recently has pretty much solidified MGS4's port.

There is one problem with these statements, Metal Gear has never sold well on a console other than the Playstations.

I'm not saying a 360 port is impossible, I just will not believe it until I see it for many reasons. There will also be a lot of cost in port this game. It was specifically designed for the PS3 architecture so the code will have to be re-worked. It's so big that it coming on a duel-layer blu-ray, so it would have to be on at least 4 duel-layer DVDs. That isn't cheap with the cost of the extra pressing and the game case.

The other unique thing is that Konami has limited say here because Kojima own the metal gear IP. So unlike in most cases they can't just do it. And quite frankly, in this case the 360 version would probably suck compared to the PS3 version.

A metal gear solid game has never been released on a console which was not market leader.

Gamecube definately was the market leader in quality last gen, so I agree.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Gamecube definately was the market leader in quality last gen, so I agree.

By which of course I meant launched first.

ie a Metal Gear Solid game hasnt even been in the position MGS4 is in. So comparing past sales are ludicrous.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

By which of course I meant launched first.

ie a Metal Gear Solid game hasnt even been in the position MGS4 is in. So comparing past sales are ludicrous.

Yeah, I know what you meant.

Hell if you had only used Metal Gear I would have made an MSX joke.

It is a concern, and even if MGS4 stays exclusive MGS4:Subtitle probably won't.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Actually, Ryan Payton said on the Kojima Productions Report that that wasn't even correct. From memory, he said that the reporter put words into his mouth and he even said that it doesn't even make any sense (which I assume is the 'day one' part).

plufim: Compared to all the main Metal Gear's, Twin Snakes did pretty poorly.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they ported MGS4 a year and a half after the PS3 release. And it's hardly an 'exclusive lost', a year is a pretty damn long time in the gaming world.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    True.

Still, if there is even a whiff of 'MGS4 on 360 confirmed for real' anywhere near the launch period (3 months either side) then there will be a huge megaton meltdown on a whole host of internet forums.

The point being, we all 'know' MGS4 will go multiplatform eventually, just like nearly all of the other Metal Gear Solid games ever made, but not for well over a year after PS3 release, and after a year and a half its release on 360 means nothing to everyone except for 360 owners. It doesnt 'hurt' PS3 at that point.

Its just that at this point its like the elephant in the room. Both 'sides' believe they are right and only a small group of people know the truth, those working at Konami.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The only Metal Gear Solid game that released on competing consoles is MGS2: Subsistence. It's not "nearly all", it's one. Just one.

I'm not talking about the multiplatform release possibility because I couldn't care less, but I thought I'd correct that bit of info.

Renzo on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    The only Metal Gear Solid game that released on competing consoles is MGS2: Subsistence. It's not "nearly all", it's one. Just one.

I'm not talking about the multiplatform release possibility because I couldn't care less, but I thought I'd correct that bit of info.

You forgot the 'Cube re-release of MGS.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    True.

Still, if there is even a whiff of 'MGS4 on 360 confirmed for real' anywhere near the launch period (3 months either side) then there will be a huge megaton meltdown on a whole host of internet forums.

The point being, we all 'know' MGS4 will go multiplatform eventually, just like nearly all of the other Metal Gear Solid games ever made, but not for well over a year after PS3 release, and after a year and a half its release on 360 means nothing to everyone except for 360 owners. It doesnt 'hurt' PS3 at that point.

Its just that at this point its like the elephant in the room. Both 'sides' believe they are right and only a small group of people know the truth, those working at Konami.

I'm not even sure Konami knows what's up just yet. It really depends on MGS4 sales.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    WillemWillem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope MGS4's animation quality approaches Uncharted and Assassin's Creed.

Willem on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You forgot the 'Cube re-release of MGS.

Maybe he meant that the Cube wasn't competing with the Playstation 1?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of the release of MGS4, I was chatting with a EBGames employee and he happened to tell me that they got a release month for the game and its June. He then asked me if I wanted to preorder and I said no because I never preorder games.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of the release of MGS4, I was chatting with a EBGames employee and he happened to tell me that they got a release month for the game and its June. He then asked me if I wanted to preorder and I said no because I never preorder games.

He's probably lying. That is, the company is lying.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Henroid wrote: »

He's probably lying. That is, the company is lying.

Well until I get a higher source telling me otherwise I'm going to run with June.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This'll probably sound familiar, but from Konami, care of Kotaku:
    For the record, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a PlayStation 3 exclusive and there are no plans to develop an Xbox 360 version of the game.

http://kotaku.com/340097/mgs4-360-rumor-smashed-yet-again

Next "rumour has it/official denial" in 3 months. Over, under, who's running odds?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm not sure why you would bother denying it. I'm not sure why you need to bother denying it. People who want it to happen, or feel it is logical to happen, will never change their beliefs. If they're willing to go with it so far without a shred of evidence any amount of denials will be met with "Well of course they'll say that" wink wink nudge nudge eh?

I'm getting a bit tired of metal gear solid updates being filled with a merry go round debate of boring. Just fucking wait and see. If someone says "Ill get it when it comes out on 360" say nothing. They'll either be right, or they'll be wrong and never get to play it. Sorts itself in the end.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think the real issue is this:

PS3 fans dont want it to go multi because it is seen as a 'loss' for them and a major 'win for 360 owners.

Metal Gear fans dont want it to go multi because the 360 is less powerful in various areas and the game has been explicitly said to have been designed from the ground up for PS3. So porting/co developing has a chance of diminishing the game and lowering its potential.

360 fans do want it to go multi because obviously they want to play a good game.

I think the people who want it to go multi to be fair are less trying to 'ruin' Sony or strike a blow but genuinely want to play what is no doubt gonna be a kickass game.

MGS4 was a significant factor in me purchasing my PS3. I never buy a console on potential which is why I waiting until now to buy one, the games have finally justified it for me. But the delicious knowledge of MGS4 on the horizon is satisfying now. Coming from owning just a 360 and Wii I feel more hyped about this game now that I can actually play it at launch.

If I still only owned a 360 I would feel like I was missing out and would definitely want it to go multi, just so I could play it. Now I own all the consoles I want Konami to make the game to its fullest potential. If that means it cant go to 360 then so be it I guess.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

PS3 fans dont want it to go multi because it is seen as a 'loss' for them and a major 'win for 360 owners.

Metal Gear fans dont want it to go multi because the 360 is less powerful in various areas and the game has been explicitly said to have been designed from the ground up for PS3. So porting/co developing has a chance of diminishing the game and lowering its potential.

360 fans do want it to go multi because obviously they want to play a good game.

I think the people who want it to go multi to be fair are less trying to 'ruin' Sony or strike a blow but genuinely want to play what is no doubt gonna be a kickass game.

MGS4 was a significant factor in me purchasing my PS3. I never buy a console on potential which is why I waiting until now to buy one, the games have finally justified it for me. But the delicious knowledge of MGS4 on the horizon is satisfying now. Coming from owning just a 360 and Wii I feel more hyped about this game now that I can actually play it at launch.

If I still only owned a 360 I would feel like I was missing out and would definitely want it to go multi, just so I could play it. Now I own all the consoles I want Konami to make the game to its fullest potential. If that means it cant go to 360 then so be it I guess.

The first reason is stupid. I own a ps3 but who gives a shit about win lose, that shit is self evidently retarded. I'm not going there.

For the other reason, wouldn't a port happen after the game has already been made? Isn't that why it's a port? Else it's a multiple development. I can't see it affecting the initial ps3 version at all. So, again, a ps3 owner shouldn't care.

Basically, ps3 owners should just be quiet and let the 360 owners say whatever the hell they want. Once they've got it out of their system, we can move onto real information. Most of the time a mgs thread is updated its because another one of these ridiculous debates has added another "No!" "No u!" post to it and it's beyond a joke.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, it's already being developed to its fullest potential on the PS3. Therefore, PS3 owners shouldn't care if the "360 port*" would be equal or shittier in quality to the PS3 version.

Of course there's always the chance it'll be one of those things like RE4 where they port and then add some random content.

*this is all moot because it'll never happen anyway.

slash000 on
  • Options
    WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think there's a few Sony fan's who see MGS4 as the next big system seller. I think those are the one's who'd be most disappointed at it going multiplatform.

I personally don't care what happens to it, I'll buy it for whichever system it releases on first. If it does come to the 360 at a later date, and the port isn't terrible, then I may buy it again to play online with friends.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's already being developed to its fullest potential on the PS3. Therefore, PS3 owners shouldn't care if the "360 port*" would be equal or shittier in quality to the PS3 version.

Of course there's always the chance it'll be one of those things like RE4 where they port and then add some random content.

*this is all moot because it'll never happen anyway.

Which wouldn't matter anyway, because like Substance and Subsistence, it'd be re-released on the PS3 anyway.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For the most part I could careless if MGS4 is only a timed exclusive. My problem with the 360 fans is that most wouldn't actually play/buy the game, they just want the PS3 to loose another exclusive.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    AC4 fucking rules, it's mega-hard though.

Also, I can't BELIEVE Folklore hasn't been mentioned yet. Great game.

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    "lose another exclusive"

I have no idea why so many people misspell "lose". It bothers me enough to post something irrelevant to the topic.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    For the most part I could careless if MGS4 is only a timed exclusive. My problem with the 360 fans is that most wouldn't actually play/buy the game, they just want the PS3 to loose another exclusive.
    This, I feel, is a crock of bullshit. There's a lot of ps2 owners who moved to the 360, and I'm betting there's a lot of MGS fans with 360s. Some people can only afford one console each generation so I don't think it's difficult to understand why someone might want a certain game to appear on their system.

If I wasn't lucky enough to own a PS3 I'd probably be wishing it was coming to 360 too.

Edit: JJ, it's a common enough mistake. I blame the English language.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This, I feel, is a crock of bullshit. There's a lot of ps2 owners who moved to the 360, and I'm betting there's a lot of MGS fans with 360s. Some people can only afford one console each generation so I don't think it's difficult to understand why someone might want a certain game to appear on their system.

If I wasn't lucky enough to own a PS3 I'd probably be wishing it was coming to 360 too.

Sorry but in this case I beg to differ. This game had been announced as a PS3 exclusive since day one. And most people know that MGS is traditionally a Playstation series. MGS fans know that MGS3 was not even ported to Xbox1. If MGS fans wanted to play this they knew they would need a PS3.

As for the systems, my brother and I have both. We had to save for a year for each of them. If we could it then so can others. We have to rent games because we can't even afford to buy them.

edit: As for "lose" vs "loose" sometimes I do make that mistake, this time it was just a typo.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This reminds me of a PA podcast a while ago. Gabe and Tycho were discussing the ferocity of these console wars in that the price points of so many were so high that most people could only buy one system. I know I fell into that category. So it became a decision of "What is going to get me more bang for my buck". Everytime a game stays exclusive then it reinforces the console decision as 'correct' - every time a game leaves, that's one less reason you should have picked the console in the first place.

That's why exclusivity means so much so many people. I got a 360, but can't afford the PS3 - so obviously I want MGS4 to go multi-platform because I want to be able to play it.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got a PS3 now, so suddenly I don't care if MGS4 goes multi or not.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

The first reason is stupid. I own a ps3 but who gives a shit about win lose, that shit is self evidently retarded. I'm not going there.

The

Entire

Internet

and manufacturer marketing and PR and the millions of people who own neither a 360 or Ps3 who are on the fence. 360 is cheaper. if its on both guess which version will sell more (this is the GTA scenario)

Even with a 6-12 month gap (probably more) between the original version and port, some people will buy a 360 instead knowing eventually they can get MGS4. Which is why any news of a 360 version anywhere even remotely close to PS3 launch is going to be highly damaging.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Sorry but in this case I beg to differ. This game had been announced as a PS3 exclusive since day one. And most people know that MGS is traditionally a Playstation series. MGS fans know that MGS3 was not even ported to Xbox1. If MGS fans wanted to play this they knew they would need a PS3.

As for the systems, my brother and I have both. We had to save for a year for each of them. If we could it then so can others. We have to rent games because we can't even afford to buy them.

edit: As for "lose" vs "loose" sometimes I do make that mistake, this time it was just a typo.
    DMC4 is also traditionally a Playstation franchise but the 360 version will outsell the PS3 version. The reason for this is the larger user base, the 360 userbase's rabid buying habits and (arguably) the fact that some MGS4 fans have migrated consoles. Saying that 360 fans wouldn't buy MGS4 is a crock of bullshit though; they're gamers and they want good games to play.

If you were arguing about a game like FFXIII then maybe I'd understand, as the 360 userbase has a habit of avoiding JRPGs like the plague.

Moot point anyways, as I doubt it'll ever hit 360.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Metal Gear?

No...

It can't be!

Ok, yes, I am totally pimping my own comedy sketch. (I was the soldier)

But I hope you laugh regardless.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey, dudes, necroposting here because I have a MGS: PO question.

How the hell do you use the other 3 infiltration squads? I have 100 dudes, I even put some on the other 3 infiltration squads, but only the first one with Snake ever gets used.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Metal Gear: Portable Ops, right?

You can start using the other infiltration squads on your NewGame+, I think.

Renzo on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Metal Gear: Portable Ops, right?

You can start using the other infiltration squads on your NewGame+, I think.

Yeah, that's the game.

Man, that sucks.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png