As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

skate 3: witty title under construction

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No, according to the announcement, it's just the skate.reel service and only for the first game. I was reading it that all of skate.reel was shutting down for both games.

The online servers themselves will be up for multiplayer for both games.
    The following is an important update regarding online service for Skate...aka OG Skate or Skate 1.

Servers for the skate.Reel feature will be shut down on March 1st, 2010. After this date, you may continue to play the game online but no longer able to capture video clips and upload them to the skate.Reel galleries, both in-game and on the skate website.

Somehow I missed the first bolded part. So, yeah...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Manual-to-manuals suck.

That is all.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    coffin joecoffin joe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Article about a Skate 3 press event. Good details on HC mode.

Hardcore mode dramatically alters the physics in the game and tunes them down to a really realistic level, so not only do your tricks pop way lower than in normal mode but your speed is cut way down as well. It should take at least 5 pushes with your foot to get to a decently fast speed, so you will mostly be hitting those rails and ledges at a more realistic speed with 3 or so pushes. You can still ollie somewhat high if you flick it hard enough but it is a little more challenging to get a lot of air. With the physics change comes less grind magnetism. Meaning, everything that is grind-able is way harder to get on. It won't magically suction you to that spot to grind just because you are in proximity with it, you literally will have to line up your trick and land exactly on to the ledge or rail or bank that you are trying to grind on.

Not only is it extremely difficult even for a seasoned Skate veteran like myself but it just makes the game so much more rewarding when you do land that trick that you have been trying to nail for the past half an hour. I cannot stress how much different the game feels when put into hardcore mode. Overall it adds a huge sense of accomplishment even with the simplest tricks or gaps. The physics are tuned down so much that you can actually fail a kick flip on flat ground, something that was not possible in the last two games. That in itself is something a lot of skateboarding realism fans will love. It actually feels like skateboarding—although with a controller—but it nails the realism with hardcore mode.

So good.

Oh, and the idea of an "Object Dropper" makes me tight in the pants.

coffin joe on
    I can smell ants.
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There was also mentioned that, You can do all singleplayer stuff with buddies as co-op, with both getting credits.

(oh and easy mode for those who find skate 2 too hard :P )

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm really tempted to try to get some of my old clips together for a little video, as I had a bunch in the works originally planned for this. I actually took some neat stuff from last night and put it in too.

Nothing real amazing, but just cool spots.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm thinking the only way I'll get skate.3 is if they add the ability to toggle a display on the screen that gives me feedback as to where I'm holding the right stick. I mean, I can't believe how I'm playing so poorly that I can't even pull off a simple kickflip because I'm not flicking it at a good enough angle...

I mean, the game is fun when you just skate around looking for things to fuck around with (Except the moving objects bit. I'm already hating that.), but I get more and more aggravated when they make me perform specific tricks and I'm just not getting it right. That and I've never been good at flicking fast enough to get height on ollies. Unless I'm trying to just miss landing on that rail so I can 'kill' the avatar for points.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Do you let your skater crouch down enough before flicking? That affects the flip height lot.

I've played this series from beginning and still fail getting enough air with harder flips some times.

You'll get better more you play, but I still find/see some new stuff occasionally.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I suck at just straight up ollie/ nollie-ing.

Always ends up being a heel/ kick flip.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I understand how the game works. I've been playing skate.1 for some time now and only just moved to skate.2. However, I'm just one of the lucky players that has trouble using the flick stick system.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So you got crooked thumbs that pull sideways. :P

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I acknowledge that I place my hands on the controller differently than most people do. And that this probably leads to inaccurate motions in games like skate.

That doesn't change that it's still difficult to pull off more advanced, and therefore higher scoring, tricks. I would put money that it's really common to end up with a 360 Shuv-it instead of the desired 360 Flip.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It is true that they're harder to pull and might be frustrating.
    For me it added sense of accomplisment, when I finally started to nailing harder tricks constantly.

Good thing that skate 3 will have three difficulty levels, so more people get the experience they want.

On side note: I had funny experience trying Tony hawk: proving ground after playing skate games exclusively for a while.
    My right thumb constantly went for right stick and tried to flick some tricks.
    My most common aerial trick was simple rotations because I tried to grap board with triggers! :lol:

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hardcore mode sounds cool. Skate felt realistic when you first started playing it, but the more I got used to the actual gameplay, it started to feel pretty gamey (albeit far less than the Tony Hawk series).

Obviously the mode isn't going to be fun if you want to just string lines together, but it's pretty interesting to have a skating game where just doing a single trick may take a few attempts.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So the Thrasher photo op Dunk Slam. This is doable, right? Because I'm sure as shit not getting it. Either the half-pipe is too far under the backboard and I bail gaining air or it's too far away and I never grab the target. That is, when I get enough speed to clear the half-pipe.

It's little ticky-tack shit like this that adds up and destroys the experience. I won't ever do this again if I don't have to. Which is why I'm sick of having to do it. Fuck. I knew this moving shit around stuff was going to be fucked...

EDIT:
    Now I'm practically grinding the thing but the fucker still won't grab it. Best part if it all, is that before I initially posted any of this, I did do a handplant on the backboard...then promptly bailed on the dismount since my momentum carried me *just* beyond the half-pipe.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, that challenge sucked. I refused to do weird shit to get by my whole play through until that point.

Angle the halfpipe up under the basketball hoop with one of the picnic tables and just lip the halfpipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niui3QYy-2E

The end result photo looks lame, but it works.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah. career has lot of those tricky challenges.

Some people found that dragging big quarter pipe from slappys made that challenge easier.
    It's doable with the small one, but it is one of the toughest ones to nail.
    The small one has to be just right spot ( and stars properly aligned) to it work.

Silly goose stuff like that is reason why I haven't done career multiple times in skate 2.
    Skate 1:s challenges were much easier.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jammu wrote: »

...Rob and Big's challenge.

Enough said.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wanted to love this series, but I just can't untrain years of Tony Hawk 1, 2 and 3.

Down & up to Ollie breaks my brain

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Enough said.

Nah. That wasn't too bad. For me, it was just a matter of getting the motion down and repeating it a bunch of times. Now Hsu's challenge on that giant book thing? That took forever to get right.

Oh, and I finally got the Dunk Slam without using any silly tricks. I guess I just got the stars aligned. Of course for grins, I tried to replicate it and couldn't...

And before I finally got it, I managed to land on top of the backboard in a BS Willy for a second or two. I also saved a replay of a grind using the front trucks along the entire top of the board.

I've also noticed that the board it more magnetic to things. The one photo op where you have to tweak a grab above some raised decking? The board kept wanted to do a wallride every time I got near it. I'm also transitioning out of pools way to easily. Sadly, it's turning out that the demo was exactly what the game was on a smaller scale. But at least I didn't pay full price for it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm thinking the only way I'll get skate.3 is if they add the ability to toggle a display on the screen that gives me feedback as to where I'm holding the right stick. I mean, I can't believe how I'm playing so poorly that I can't even pull off a simple kickflip because I'm not flicking it at a good enough angle...

I mean, the game is fun when you just skate around looking for things to fuck around with (Except the moving objects bit. I'm already hating that.), but I get more and more aggravated when they make me perform specific tricks and I'm just not getting it right. That and I've never been good at flicking fast enough to get height on ollies. Unless I'm trying to just miss landing on that rail so I can 'kill' the avatar for points.

Sounds like you are in luck, from their main page:
    * Everyone Can Skate - Learn the ins and outs of skating with the all-new Skate.School - a new place you can access at any time in order to learn, practice, and hone your skills on the sticks. Customize your experience with multiple tiers of success and with new on-screen guides including a manual meter and Flickit trick analyzer.

Unfortunately, other than the description, I could not find any more about it. Guess you will have to wait for reviews or if they release any info on it later on.

Tzyr on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Enough said.

Step 1: get on top of the object.
    step 2: make quicksave
    Profit :P

Other troublesome spots for me were PJ:s mansion where you had to do a Fs something grind and I had no idea what I was doing wrong, when I got Bs something grind.

Or that other where you had to do a 360 to a manny. I had no idea what manny is!

First game didn't explain its terms very well.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    man i miss skate 2, it's one game i really regret selling. skate 3 can't come quick enough.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's 17 bucks at Walmart right now.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fuck. I knew this moving shit around stuff was going to be fucked..

Don't be shittin' on my movable objects. :P
    image-1703_4B7DDE10.jpg
    image-49B3_4B7DDE10.jpg
    image-EC67_4B7DDE10.jpg

Yes, as it is now it's a pain in the ass to do some things. (like the above pics) Just getting something up a small set of stairs or a fucking curb can be very frustrating. But once you get something set up right it's great and adds so much to the game IMO.

Really hope they make moving objects easier in 3. Something along the lines of how you move stuff in Halo 3's Forge. Levitating, spinning and rotating.

coffin joe on
    I can smell ants.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry. Was I just told how awesome it is to work for creating interesting things to spot on...in a game about how realistic it's supposed to be and how awesome it is to find cool things in the environment to spot on?

If I wanted to play Skate Park Tycoon, I'd buy Skate Park Tycoon.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes you were and you're welcome.

I guess you'll probably skip Skate 3 because the addition of a park editor will just turn it into Skate Park Tycoon.

coffin joe on
    I can smell ants.
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    coffin joe wrote: »
    Yes, as it is now it's a pain in the ass to do some things. (like the above pics) Just getting something up a small set of stairs or a fucking curb can be very frustrating. But once you get something set up right it's great and adds so much to the game IMO.

Really hope they make moving objects easier in 3. Something along the lines of how you move stuff in Halo 3's Forge. Levitating, spinning and rotating.

If they did that I'd never get back to actually skating in the damn park, just making stuff for people to break their face on.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this one when it arrives.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Silly goose, I'm probably skipping skate.3 because I'm tired of dealing with the analogue controls. What I dislike is being forced to move shit around to complete objectives. An optional park editor is something I'd be completely fine with rather than skate in a world where random plywood ramps, convenient red bars, and concrete benches with zero mass are everywhere.

Pay attention! Your fun is not my fun.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can only think of a few times you HAVE to move stuff around. It mostly is optional.

But you are talking about it not realistic? Uhh, you know that's how quite a bit of people skate for real, right? Drag out their little ghetto plywood ramp, put it next to some stuff and jump. Sure not everyone has it, and it's a bit of a stretch for them to be in random corners, but that's just to get those things out in different parts of the world. Would it be better if you had to call a dude up who brought you parts in a van?

They put them in there to create another level for people to play on. Ok, you somehow manage to exhaust the thousands of spots and ledges and gaps and everything else in the world to skate on and find the game boring. Oh hey, grab some rails and ramps and drag them around, make your own spots. Add to some of your favorite spots. Holy shit, more gameplay for free, and we didn't have to pay for it as DLC. What is the complaint again?

Sure the system is a little wonky, and it breaks the realism a bit, but the world itself isn't what's realistic, it's the skating. They world is just what you skate on, so they tried to make it have as many options as possible, realism be damned. Just look at half the architecture. I have never seen a more curved/ rounded city in my life.

But if your tired of dealing with the analog controls, I guess skate isn't the game for you. May I suggest Tony Hawk? It's just buttons there.

edit: Hey, here's some clips of me:

http://skatereel.ea.com/members/1/187815214/1876550.aspx

http://skatereel.ea.com/members/1/187815214/286102.aspx

edit2:
    My least favorite challenge is that one where you have to do the tailslide-noseslide combo. This is as close as I've ever gotten:
    http://skatereel.ea.com/members/1/187815214/570360.aspx

Frustrating as hell, but god damn it, one day I'll pull it off.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here is more awesome stuff you can build from stuff:

A Boy and His Box -ModestMike87 comp3-

It is not my video, but I've copied modestmikes design on my own game and it took maybe 15 minutes to build.
    On skate 3 with object dropper (they aren't stashed around in map anymore) It will take 1-2 minutes max.

On analog sticks:

I love 'em. They make it feel more like skating, when you emulate different kicks instead pressing direction plus button.
    It is same reasoning as pulling triggers to shoot in most console fps. It just feels more like shooting than pressing x.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just came in to say that I read the thread title as "witty titty under construction" and was strangely aroused.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So I pulled off something stupid last night, thought it was interesting. Definitely not realistic, so don't expect it when you start watching.

http://skatereel.ea.com/members/1/187815214/1894683.aspx

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Haha... Was that intended?

I've got a few lines saved but I'm waiting for the urge to spend $7.50 on the camera pack before posting them. The default editor is a nightmare.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The camera pack does make it infinitely easier to use.

Funny you ask if it was intended though, because that was right after I did this on accident. So I tried making it as over the top as possible on the next actual attempt at it and got the previous video.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://skate.ea.com/blog.action?blogId=skateblog_feb25-20100226122327426.xml

I guess if you attend PAX East Cuz and co are going to demo it.

japh on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Worth trying to find a copy of Skate 2, or should I just wait for Skate 3?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can probably find it pretty cheap, really the decision only depends on how much money you want to spend on games.

Skate 2 is definitely a good game, Skate 3 is looking like it's going to be even better.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Clip of the week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMBXTpM_lmI&feature=sub

Blog

Red pool/place looks pretty fun.

coffin joe on
    I can smell ants.
  • Options