As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Senj got banned and all he got was this lousy [Chat] thread

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    This episode is about the 'world's ugliest animals'. The first one (some turtle) isn't that ugly, though.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    And uh, looking at your two examples, WoW becoming another full-time job and doing nothing but playing WoW all day? Yeah, that doesn't really cast WoW in a good light.

I wasn't really trying to, just sharing my personal experience. Though, I have to say that I don't really feel the worse for wear from those experiences. I decided to pick WoW up the second time because I was taking a year off before starting grad school, so I knew nothing would get fucked if I started doing nothing but playing WoW.

Oh, I know you weren't trying to, I was just stating an observation. And thanks for sharing your personal experience by the way. Personally, if I knew I was going to have a whole year off there are things I would personally do over WoW that I would find alot more enjoyable and productive. However, that's my personal taste, and if you felt that that year was well spent, then more power to you.

However, you have to appreciate not everyone thinks as far ahead as you, and goes, I have nothing important to do right now, so I will play WoW. They go, hey, I'm in college and working, and hear about this new WoW game, I'm gonna play it. And it eventually becomes I have nothing important to do (college/work no longer important) so I will play WoW.

Anyway, I'm calling it a night folks. All this talk about MMOs has made me nervous. All my friends have quit WoW, but a lot of them are eyeing Age of Conan rather seriously, and would rather like me to play with them. I wonder how this will play out.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would undoubtedly give MMOs a try if there was a good, interesting Gwar-based one.

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would undoubtedly give MMOs a try if there was a good, interesting Gwar-based one.

guar.jpg

:?:

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Church wrote: »
    :?:

:!:

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    And uh, looking at your two examples, WoW becoming another full-time job and doing nothing but playing WoW all day? Yeah, that doesn't really cast WoW in a good light.

I wasn't really trying to, just sharing my personal experience. Though, I have to say that I don't really feel the worse for wear from those experiences. I decided to pick WoW up the second time because I was taking a year off before starting grad school, so I knew nothing would get fucked if I started doing nothing but playing WoW.

I'm sure you've mentioned this somewhere before, what are you going to grad school for?

Satan. on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I'm sure you've mentioned this somewhere before, what are you going to grad school for?

Biology PhD. Why?

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mmmnkay.

I think the next time I talk to this girl, I'm telling her to either show up and call when she's in town and if I'm around and free hey awesome, and just not even fricking talk about maybe visiting ever again.

This is getting so goddamn old.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    I don't get why people destroy themselves on WoW.

Because that is the price of success in that game.

I think that statement isn't always applicable to everyone. If you're talking about success as defined by having the best gear etc, then yeah, it does take a lot of time investment. If you're talking about success as having fun, though, I think different people will feel differently about how time-intensive this game is. Believe it or not, there are casual MMO players, and they have just as much fun not grinding instances for gear everynight or farming mats for hours upon end for raid consumables.

Back when I used to play casually, I was always getting ganked by people who had better gear. I did not find this fun in the least. Graveyard runs were annoying and when I got back to my body I usually discovered to my dismay that the asshole was camping it. So the few hours that I had set aside for casual playing were ruined. I had to sit there and literally read a book or something and hope he would go away. Sometimes he would go away, I'd resurrect and continue questing and five minutes later he would come back and gank me again. Rinse and repeat.

Therefore, having good enough gear and having fun, in my mind, became tied together. If I was to survive these gankers, I would need better gear and thus would have to play more to acquire that gear. It was sort of an arms race. The opposing faction started doing UBRS, I had to start doing UBRS. They started doing Molten Core, I had to start doing Molten Core, otherwise some raider rogue would come and one-shot me and sit on top of my body while spamming /spit.

I mean, I'm not even competitive when it comes to games. It's just that the PvP ruleset left me with no choice, as far as how to play the game goes. It forced me to choose between playing a lot and getting good gear and not playing very much and thus not having fun. I play games for fun, so the latter was not the option for me. I chose the former. My life took a down-turn. So after months of hardcore playing, I quit. And replaced my light bulb. :P

Even on PvE servers the situation was similar, except this time you competed with your own faction instead of the opposing faction (not including battlegrounds and the arena of course). Sure, you didn't live with the threat of getting ganked while questing peacefully, but in end-game people always chose better-geared people for instances, especially for raiding. A friend of mine who was on a PvE server quit on level 58 because nobody would accept him to instance groups with his greens.

Now, this is all ignoring the fact that the game is designed very carefully to stimulate the reward pathways in the brain frequently enough so as to create an addiction of sorts. Blizzard's intention was not to create an addictive product of course, but it was nevertheless the consequence of what they considered to be good game design, and once they saw how profitable it was, they stuck with it. If you watch developer commentaries, you can sometimes hear their reasoning for setting up the rewards with the frequency that they did; frequent enough so that the player will feel a sense of accomplishment and will stay interested, but not too frequent so as to stretch the amount of time the game is played. Devious.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Biology PhD. Why?
    I'm going for Film Studies PhD and was wondering if taking time off was typical across all fields or just liberal arts.

Satan. on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm going for Film Studies PhD and was wondering if taking time off was typical across all fields or just liberal arts.

I imagine all fields. I think the majority of people going into research (or at least a large minority) don't go straight from college. I got a job for 2 years, and then took 1 year off because I'd moved, and all the places I interviewed at wanted a 2 year commitment, and I was like, "Fuck that, I'm going to school in 11 months." I think a lot of people also decide to take a year off to recharge between college and grad school.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Time to curl up with some Ancient Lit.

Dead people won't flake on me.

Night kiddies.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I imagine all fields. I think the majority of people going into research (or at least a large minority) don't go straight from college. I got a job for 2 years, and then took 1 year off because I'd moved, and all the places I interviewed at wanted a 2 year commitment, and I was like, "Fuck that, I'm going to school in 11 months." I think a lot of people also decide to take a year off to recharge between college and grad school.
    Only one of my film professors went straight from college to grad, and he went for 20th century literature. He said it was too much, too fast and he shifted his focus to literature in film.

I plan on taking a year off right now while I wait for my potential wife to finish college. I'll probably be able to land a full time gig with the place I work at as a part-time student for the mean time.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Tonight, on, "Internet: Is That Really Necessary?"

Paper napkin roses.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Paper napkin roses.
    I need to amaze my girl by being near her. Also I'm wondering where she is at the moment.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Paper napkin roses.
    I need to amaze my girl by being near her. Also I'm wondering where she is at the moment.
    Our computer records down here indicate she's sacrificing a goat to me. I really wish you people on the surface would get it -- you don't sacrifice a goat to me. How the hell is a goat supposed to be evil?

Satan. on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dexter and Arrested Development are the two things you can't find pirated in China, but I have found that they are also found to be the things my Chinese friends enjoy the most.

I'm like a dealer. I am a fun node.

Thank you, American television. You are one of the greatest forces in the world. You are my hook-up.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I've made paper napkin roses to hit on waitresses before.

It works.

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Paper napkin roses.
    Our computer records down here indicate she's sacrificing a goat to me. I really wish you people on the surface would get it -- you don't sacrifice a goat to me. How the hell is a goat supposed to be evil?

It's not. That's why killing one is.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007

It works.

As well as putting up personal ads on craigslist does?

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

It works.

It's not as entertaining.

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

It works.

It's not as entertaining.

Tell us about the craigslist story. [chat] is pretty slow tonight so if it's as entertaining as you say we might as well hear it. :)

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Tell us about the craigslist story. [chat] is pretty slow tonight so if it's as entertaining as you say we might as well hear it. :)

It's not really that great.

Unrelatedly, I need to learn to cut myself off from humanity when I drink.

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Tell us faggot.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    God I love Craigslist.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/164219542.html
    Please don't use certain personal items of mine

Dear Roommate,

I know you were expecting me to be gone for the day. I know that I don’t usually come back to the house 15 minutes after I’ve left, but I forgot the document I was proofing last night and although I do have an e copy of it, I needed the notes I made on that copy while we watched a movie together last night. So, I had to come back home to get it.

It was in our living room that I noticed a familiar sound coming from my side of the house and figured I might have bumped it while getting something out of my drawer this morning and it turned itself on. I was not very prepared for what had really happened.

Now, I know that we’ve become closer over the last month or so then we ever have been. We both lost our significant other at approximately the same time. We’ve been doing more things together, like seeing movies, getting drinks, sun bathing, shopping and the like. I still don’t think that we’re close enough that we can share “personal” items of an intimate nature with each other. I know we’ve talked about sex, but this might have been a little bit over the line.

When I got to my bedroom door and you were there, face buried in my pillow, on your knees, nude with my vibrator penetrating your anus and your hand feverishly rubbing your clit, I have to admit, the sight took my breath away for a moment. Now, I’m not turned on by other women, but you took my breath away.

The first shock was the nakedness in my bed while I was not there; the second was that you were using my vibrator and the third that it was in your butt. Now, I’m not against butt play. I kind of like it sometimes. But a few sickening thoughts went through my head in the 10 seconds I stood there with my mouth gaping open before I left without you even noticing I was there.

How often did you use my vibrator? Why on my bed? Why in your butt? Did you wash it afterwards? Now, if you have used it in your butt before, then your butt has been in me since my toy has been in me. I was not aware that we were sharing bodily fluids. Maybe we should kiss tonight to close the circle. *shudders* I wouldn’t even let my boyfriend put his penis in my vagina after it had been in my butt (until a shower anyway) because I don’t want butt in my vagina.

I’ll be tossing my toy tonight. Or maybe I’ll just put it under your pillow. I don’t want it anymore. All I can think about is weather or not my vagina smells like a butt now. I think I’m going to have to buy a douche on the way home tonight. Would you like me to pick you up an enema so that your butt doesn’t smell like vagina? And I plan on burning my sheets, pillow and comforter tonight so I hope you don’t have plans for the fireplace.

Thinking about this and putting pen to paper over the subject has just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Sincerely,
    Your Roommate

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    "If you have used it in your butt then your butt has been in me."

Heh heh.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    This is why I think my chemistry background helps me. You pretty much figure out what solvents clean things.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Chloroform cleans everything or you die trying.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    1:1 sulfuric and nitric acid cleans everything.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Actually, do you have any good ideas on getting fingerprints off stuff without using a sonicator?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    1:1 sulfuric and nitric acid cleans everything.

What about acid?

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Actually, do you have any good ideas on getting fingerprints off stuff without using a sonicator?

Wear gloves next time you gun someone down.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You know you'd think starfleet would have invested in a phaser which doesn't leave a visible spectrum trail right back to the firer.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You know you'd think starfleet would have invested in a phaser which doesn't leave a visible spectrum trail right back to the firer.

Discourages anonymously fragging the lieutenant.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    God why did they fuck up Enterprise. They had so much potential. They do so much good stuff in it - and then they do things which just make you cringe or plan to have the writers killed.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I didn't give Enterprise a fair chance, after all the first series of each and every Star Trek has been rather lame.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I want a Star Trek reboot.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I want a Star Trek reboot.

And I want it to be a crossover with the Cthulhu mythos.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Enterprise was a Star Trek reboot wasn't it?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It was just a prequel series, I think.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.