Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

a

• ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh no...so much time wasted playing this game...and now it's FREE?!

Will an INT Crus or Agi Wiz still kick ass?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2009
    there are tons of character builders out there to keep you from fucking up stats, and surprisingly roempire is still active so you can check that out for builds and whatnot. I guess it's pretty much are you going to kill dudes or kill monsters

Unknown User on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Started up last night with a friend, him aiming toward a Gunslinger, and me a Turn-Undead Priest...

Yeeeeah.

I need to seek out advice on how to efficiently allocate my points each level... going pure INT from the get-go is ridiculously hard, since your hits never get any higher. I wish you could reallocate your stats a little easier, rather than paying even more money to them... Like, levelling Acolyte with more STR and whatnot... then getting all my points back when I job change to Priest or something.

And the free server, Valkyrie, is rough. It lives off of the "value added services", almost requiring you to purchase bouts of improved EXP (+50% for a half hour for $1.00) and improved drop rates (+100% for a half hour for $1.00). Lots of the gear and weapons can be purchased, as well.

The player-base seems relatively unchanged... and unfriendly as ever. The entire game is dedicated to WoE, which is unfortunate. Zeny sellers have destroyed the market, making new Free-2-Play players almost impossible to play... You cannot earn Zeny in any quick way, fees for services are ridiculously high, and vital stuff like Fly Wings are 250 a pop... and getting that much Zeny is hard on these servers, at a low level.

Also, due to the recent Morroc changes, walking from Prontera to Morroc is now not possible, making the Acolyte starting quest pretty rough if it leads you that way. I needed to port from Morroc to Prontera, but didn't have money. A nearby Acolyte had the port, but said "2k"... I said "If I had 2k, I'd use the Kafra."... someone nearby gave me 2k openly, I thanked them profusely, and that same Aco said "pay me for port", I said "Fuck you, I'm using the Kafra."

Bitch.

Anyway, the game is very similar to how it was... I even went ahead and paid $8.00 to reactivate my paid account on Chaos, Prontera was almost empty... there was no one walking around outside... it was a dead-zone. I was pretty surprised by that.

Oh, and if ANYONE is wondering at all, you do NOT get any paid-benefits on Valkyrie, period. If your account is a paid account (Chaos, Loki, etc...), that's fine, but those benefits don't cross over to your character on the Valkyrie server. I was a bit confused about that, but verified it doesn't happen.

Oh, and how are novices in the training area hitting for 200+ damage? How does any free player expect to gear up once they make their first job change? Far too many penalties for playing free, I think... it's just not as easy to get into.

Uhm, sorry, didn't mean to type a mini-review.

GPIA7R on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Actually, getting from Prontera to Morroc is even quicker now; just walk the route as normal until you get to the Dimensional Gorge (or whatever it's called), then talk to the nearby guard to have him port you to Morroc. Morroc to Prontera, though, is just as you said, an impossible trip to make by foot (and the priest you visit saves your position, so you can't just die to get back to Prontera like I had hoped). Luckily you can get a free Kafra voucher from the tutorial area, so provided you do the tutorial, it's not that bad.

Dizzen on
    edited February 2009
    cant you just talk to the kafra girls and pay some zeny to travel?

Unknown User on
    edited February 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Actually, getting from Prontera to Morroc is even quicker now; just walk the route as normal until you get to the Dimensional Gorge (or whatever it's called), then talk to the nearby guard to have him port you to Morroc. Morroc to Prontera, though, is just as you said, an impossible trip to make by foot (and the priest you visit saves your position, so you can't just die to get back to Prontera like I had hoped). Luckily you can get a free Kafra voucher from the tutorial area, so provided you do the tutorial, it's not that bad.

I talked to that guard, the only option was to send me back to Prontera (Needed to go from Pront to Morroc, then Morroc to Pront)

Didn't know they were intended to be used in that way, though... which would definetly help.
    robothero wrote: »
    cant you just talk to the kafra girls and pay some zeny to travel?

On Valkyrie, 2k zeny is tough to come by as a novice.

GPIA7R on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blue Gems are 2.5k, so with discount it's like what? 199Xz. So asking for 2k for a Aco warp isn't ripping you off, sadly.

If you want TP passes, do what I said in my "newbie guide." also, newbie land has kafra access, so they can pull out some gear and do high damage that way, although I'm sure they're all just high level bots.

and I didn't have money issues because I joined a few days ago during the new years quest. which is now gone. so. yeah. sorry. good luck. :p

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Blue Gems are 2.5k, so with discount it's like what? 199Xz. So asking for 2k for a Aco warp isn't ripping you off, sadly.

If you want TP passes, do what I said in my "newbie guide."

and I didn't have money issues because I joined a few days ago during the new years quest. which is now gone. so. yeah. sorry. good luck. :p

Crap... Is that price just on Valk? I remember BGems being around 500 or so on the main servers?

GPIA7R on
    edited February 2009
    i mentioned before the many changes made for what people assume is "anti-bot" measures. but basically, ANY form of travel has been really nerfed or removed.

warps only from pront and morroc kafra.
    warps 2k-3k
    fly wings 250z
    b gems 2.5k
    no teleport card on valk
    there's an airship at izlude, 1.5k. that's a somewhat cheap way to getting to any new town

no heal card on valk

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2009
    The server is still pretty new right? Prices will normalize when the economy has more zeny in it.

Unknown User on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The server is still pretty new right? Prices will normalize when the economy has more zeny in it.

I think the disparity has been transfer characters coming to the free server with billions of zeny, and the people just starting out. But it should even out.

Also everyone play tonight on Valk kay thx bai.

Transporter on
    edited February 2009
    Holy shit.

It seems iRO's GM's aren't assholes anymore!

I got my old account info back, FUCK YES. I'll transfer my Rogue and Hunter over to the free shit.

Transporter on
    edited February 2009

Apparently there's tons of Zeny in it... with all the sellers hanging around... What is it, $1.30 per million? Not sure what to compare that to, but I remember working damn hard for my first million.
    Holy shit.

It seems iRO's GM's aren't assholes anymore!

I got my old account info back, FUCK YES. I'll transfer my Rogue and Hunter over to the free shit.

Remember when hitting 99 was a milestone? Back then, the GM's actually sat down and interviewed those players, and I always thought that was pretty cool :)

GPIA7R on
    edited February 2009
    I really have no idea why you'd want to transfer to valk. how much does that cost? just remake

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2009
    It's $30, FYI, for a single character transfer

GPIA7R on
    edited February 2009
    hellllllllllllllllllllllllllll no

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2009
    If I get my account with my INT-Priest back I might move her over to PL some of you jerks.

A duck! on
    edited February 2009
    pifffffffffff my SN will be able to pl you all day long. if I ever level him

i got a mage to 30 in a day. so not that hard

the issue as someone mentioned before is making money, especially at the start to do a job quest

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We should start a group for this on there, i'd be willing to play this game again, i just dont want to play by myself because this game sucks solo.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited February 2009
    I'd transfer my blacksmith because I have like 40 million zeny.

Unknown User on
    edited February 2009
    well that explains it a bit. i was a poor fuck. i was one of the first blacksmiths and only made about 1-2m

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2009
    I'd transfer my blacksmith because I have like 40 million zeny.

Next Friday I'm transfering my Rogue, Mage, and Somthing else for freebie times

Transporter on
    edited February 2009
    I was quite surprised to find that the acolyte skill teleport costs 100 sp to use. They seem to be very serious in regards to discouraging teleportation type stuff on the free server.

Dizzen on
    edited February 2009
    it helped that one time i left my blacksmith botting for like 4 days straight and had completely forgot about him

Unknown User on
  • Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Totally can't transfer to Valkyrie (Free Server). At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it's been. I see no updates suggesting otherwise.

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2009
    I hate you all. I started playing again, going for a monk this time, I've got a lvl 14 new aco atm. IGN MutsuIV...gonna be afk for a bit though.

Elementalor on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Starting RO just after they released the new cities aside from Morroc. So awesome. The thief was king back in the day. Especially when you got your gladius, which was the best weapon in game at the time, iirc. Then I made an agi merch when they were planning to release the second tier of classes. When I got to convert to BS it was like. heaven.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Starting RO just after they released the new cities aside from Morroc. So awesome. The thief was king back in the day. Especially when you got your gladius, which was the best weapon in game at the time, iirc. Then I made an agi merch when they were planning to release the second tier of classes. When I got to convert to BS it was like. heaven.

I started in beta when the classes had no skills yet lol. Me and some friends played it a lot even then, and continued when it went live. I remember that, before there were second jobs.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2009

I started in beta when the classes had no skills yet lol. Me and some friends played it a lot even then, and continued when it went live. I remember that, before there were second jobs.

I remember the bitching when they put in the 95% dodge cap. You'd have so many characters just pump up to 99 Agi and they would be literally unkillable because everything would have a floored hit chance.

A duck! on
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay, no matter how much I try, I cannot find anywhere to download the client. I figure telling me where to find a torrent of it would be okay since it's free, but can someone please tell me where to find the download link for this game?

zanmatto on
    edited February 2009
    Uhh...

Rags main website?

The have the download links for all the new stuff there.

Transporter on
    edited February 2009
    The link seems to be down.

Disregard that, the website just hates Google Chrome. Downloading now.

edit : jesus christ 16.7 kb/s?

zanmatto on
    edited February 2009
    Make sure to log in to the site, then try to download from this link with a download manager of some sort.

Alternatively, check out the sites listed as mirrors on the download page, like Fileshack, though their versions of the client are pretty old, so you'll be spending a lot more time patching.

Edit: Ah, nevermind! Yeah, it can be slow to start off, and doesn't tend to go faster than 50 kb/s. Since you just started, you might try downloading the incremental files, and see if you can grab multiple ones at the same time without the speed dropping. Just an idea, though.

Dizzen on
    edited February 2009
    If it's going too stupid slow download the incremental one half and half.

Takes roughly two hours, instead of that 24 hour bullshit.

edit;: WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE OLD SHIT FROM THE MIRRORS.

THe patches for them take forever, and are also broken.

Transporter on
    edited February 2009
    Also anyone play on Iris?

I have time to kill before I transfer to the free server.

Transporter on
    edited February 2009
    I used the torrent. Took like an hour or two. Or a night. I don't remember.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2009
    The direct download was ok for me, about 3 hours at 180kb/s or so.

Hmmm, heal bombing on a battle aco is not very effective =P.

Elementalor on
    edited February 2009
    Note to myself: WoE's up

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2009
    Nineteen hours to go. Woop woop

zanmatto on
    edited February 2009
    So anyone here rolling a healin Priest on Valk?

Because if not, I'll roll one.

Transporter on