Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

a

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I transcended my character built around a defensive ability by being clever.

If you pay attention and think, and spend some time learning the fucking game, RO really isn't that hard. Fuck, after I transcended, I was level 66 again in a single day, and 2nd job class.

You need friends to help you, but people who played RO way back when really have no clue how it is now.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kainy wrote: »

If you pay attention and think, and spend some time learning the fucking game, RO really isn't that hard. Fuck, after I transcended, I was level 66 again in a single day, and 2nd job class.

You need friends to help you, but people who played RO way back when really have no clue how it is now.

As soon as you hit 97 pretty much the entire server sucked your dick to get you trancended for War of Emperium for their guild, and of course sucked your dick if you were already in a guild.

And I don't believe anyone said it was hard. It's just a merciless grind that requires tightknit group of freinds and billions upon billions of Zeni to finance.

Rag broke me when my dagger sin needed a full set of elemental daggers to exp anywhere.

Transporter on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2009
    I remember seeing a guy walk by with the aura around him (so you knew he was max level) and people would just follow the dude around town trying to be his friend

Unknown User on
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man

Why you gots to be reminding me of my first love?

Keep reminding me of the time we spent together.

<3 on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't forget you left her because she had STDs.

Glal on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Don't forget you left her because she had STDs.

I think the copping a feel analogy was a bit more accurate.

These were innocent days mind you, and she was no whore.

chasehatesbears on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I remember playing the open beta on my Celeron 500 all those years ago. It was my second MMO (my first being Nexus The Kingdom of the Wind) It took half an hour to log in and go from area to area it was so laggy. And there were about 500 people just sitting around doing nothing! I remember talking to one who had a chat room open. The chat rooms name was 'afk taking a bath.' I talked to him, he was there, and when I asked him 'aren't you taking a bath?' he said 'oh yea' and disappeared.

It looked cool though. For it's time.

rayofash on
    edited January 2009

As soon as you hit 97 pretty much the entire server sucked your dick to get you trancended for War of Emperium for their guild, and of course sucked your dick if you were already in a guild.

And I don't believe anyone said it was hard. It's just a merciless grind that requires tightknit group of freinds and billions upon billions of Zeni to finance.

Rag broke me when my dagger sin needed a full set of elemental daggers to exp anywhere.

All true, so long as by "entire server" and "sucked your dick" you mean "my roommate" and "spent one day helping me," and as long as billions of zeny is the same as a few thousand for teleports.

I agree that the grind is bad, but there have been so many things changed that people speaking from beta or early game experience have a really warped view of the game.

Kainy on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I actually remember doing a comparison between the time it took me to get to 99 in RO and the time it took to get to 60 in WoW before TBC released and RO took significantly less time than WoW did, but the fact that you grind instead of quest is what a lot of people hate.

khain on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    khain wrote: »
    I actually remember doing a comparison between the time it took me to get to 99 in RO and the time it took to get to 60 in WoW before TBC released and RO took significantly less time than WoW did, but the fact that you grind instead of quest is what a lot of people hate.

Questing is just grinding with dialogue boxes anyway :/

chasehatesbears on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    questing is having to walk and talk to people and do nonsense between grinding

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is IRO actually free now or are we just talking about private servers?

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, it's free now, with benefits for paying

GPIA7R on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    questing is having to walk and talk to people and do nonsense between grinding

At least in WoW you get rewards and experience.

rayofash on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played this game for awhile. Made it to paladin "shield type" and got bored then I used all my money bought dead sticks and summoned non stop monsters in populated outside areas to have fun.

M.D. on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played this game for awhile. Made it to paladin "shield type" and got bored then I used all my money bought dead sticks and summoned non stop monsters in populated outside areas to have fun.

This is basically the only fun thing to do.

BlueDestiny on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there going to be an iRO free server guild?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2009
    Saban wrote: »
    Is IRO actually free now or are we just talking about private servers?

Nobody is talking about private servers.

A duck! on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

All true, so long as by "entire server" and "sucked your dick" you mean "my roommate" and "spent one day helping me," and as long as billions of zeny is the same as a few thousand for teleports.

I agree that the grind is bad, but there have been so many things changed that people speaking from beta or early game experience have a really warped view of the game.
    You're either on a private server or full of shit.

One day, or 24 hours of play time overall?
    It was twice as long as the normal 1-63, so either you cheated the system, used a private server, or your friend watched over you in Thor Volcano or some other high Exp area so one shot didn't smear you.
    Questing is just grinding with dialogue boxes anyway :/
    I'll take focused grinding over "KILL 900 BALLS OF SAND."
    Besides, WoW quests keep you doing something, whereas RO quests were giant fucking grindfests.
    "Collect 20 bear asses" vs "Collect 100 Bear asses, 3000 bear claws, 90 Wolf dicks, 250,000 zenny, and a super-rare hat that costs you 1,000,000 zenny for this SUPER AWESOME CUTE HAT (that does shit for your stats)"

I'll take the 20, thanks.

The Muffin Man on
    edited January 2009
    1-20 or so, kill poporings. Used my own +80% vs. poison blade I used to level from 80-95 using shield boomerang killing poporings. Leveled dex to where it would be in my final stat build and got bash 10, which has a useful 40% additional chance to hit, multiplicatively. Poporings can be tanked with a priest that has just job changed, their attention can be grabbed with either the Acolyte quest skill Holy Light, or attacking with a rod.

21-35 or so, killing metalings. Can mostly be tanked, just have to watch out for their reflect ability, and the fact that when their guard ability goes off, they tend to lose track of what they were fighting.

The rest, killing Anubis. Pulled with my roommate's agi scholar, who tanked them. Swords have a 2 cell range, allowing me to attack without having the anubis change targets. Heals and buffs were provided by my roommate's male account priest. All characters were in a party. The scholar would restore SP to me as necessary while I bash spammed. Given that I had a 180% vs. undead mace borrowed from a friend's monk, each bash did 1.8 (cards) * 2 (aspersio) * 4 damage, and anubises have very low defense.

This was done during an exp event, so double experience, and I used battle manuals for the second and third parts.

Thus:

Poporing: 81 exp, x2 for event, x1.25 for priest exp tapping = 202 exp per kill. Exp to reach 21 as a transcendant character is 13,339, meaning roughly 67 poporings. Poporings are all over several maps, this portion took maybe an hour.

Metaling: 492 exp, x2 for event, x1.25 for exp tapping, x1.5 for battle manual = 1845 exp per kill. Exp to go from 21 to 36 as a transcendant character is 149,410, or 81 metalings. Metalings are also all over a number of maps, but take longer to kill, this portion took an hour and a half or so due to a few deaths.

Anubis: 28000 exp, x2 for event, x1.5 for two exp taps, x1.5 for battle manual = 126,000 exp per kill. Exp to go from level 36 to 66 as a transcendant character is 10,380,184, or 82 anubises. This took much longer, as the process was more painstaking and dangerous. Also, the early anubises took a long ass time to kill, as my chance to hit was very low.

Now, you need to inflate all those kill counts by about 10% for the damage done during exp tapping. However, 90 anubises is still not 22 hours of work, not even close.

Please, please, please understand from this that the game you played in beta has changed a lot. The core, where horror lurks around every corner and you have to work to accomplish anything, both in game with time spent, and out of game with understanding game mechanics, and planning, are still there, yes. However, counter "I did this in X time" with math, not with "Nuh uh! It was different when I played, so it cannot have changed!"

Ragnarok is a tough game, but they've made a lot of changes to make leveling easier if you have some friends who are already entrenched in the game. As I said previously, while many things in RO are harder than most other MMOs, the ability of a high level to help a low level gain experience and levels very rapidly is drastically higher. I'm not trying to say that RO is easy, not by a long shot, but having transcended a character by using freaking prize medals to get from 95 to 99 after mercilessly grinding up to 95, and then shazaming up to 66, I can assure you that all the talk of RO's diffuclty using exclusively superlatives and false examples goes a bit too far.

Here's a link to the RO Exp Chart if you feel like checking my math.

Kainy on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Of course, "don't worry, you just need someone to powerlevel you!" isn't really that appealing on a thread enticing new players into the game.

Glal on
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god. On one hand, I kinda want to try this out. But on the other hand, do I really want to try this out? :/

zanmatto on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    zanmatto wrote: »
    Oh god. On one hand, I kinda want to try this out. But on the other hand, do I really want to try this out? :/

If it's free, it's a fun little distraction.

Plus, BUNNY EARS ZOMG.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited February 2009
    So I tried making a Ninja but got bored trying to get the quest materials.

So I'm gonna make a Super Novice. Omg Novice if anyone's stupid enough to play.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    1-20 or so, kill poporings. Used my own +80% vs. poison blade I used to level from 80-95 using shield boomerang killing poporings. Leveled dex to where it would be in my final stat build and got bash 10, which has a useful 40% additional chance to hit, multiplicatively. Poporings can be tanked with a priest that has just job changed, their attention can be grabbed with either the Acolyte quest skill Holy Light, or attacking with a rod.

21-35 or so, killing metalings. Can mostly be tanked, just have to watch out for their reflect ability, and the fact that when their guard ability goes off, they tend to lose track of what they were fighting.

The rest, killing Anubis. Pulled with my roommate's agi scholar, who tanked them. Swords have a 2 cell range, allowing me to attack without having the anubis change targets. Heals and buffs were provided by my roommate's male account priest. All characters were in a party. The scholar would restore SP to me as necessary while I bash spammed. Given that I had a 180% vs. undead mace borrowed from a friend's monk, each bash did 1.8 (cards) * 2 (aspersio) * 4 damage, and anubises have very low defense.

This was done during an exp event, so double experience, and I used battle manuals for the second and third parts.

Thus:

Poporing: 81 exp, x2 for event, x1.25 for priest exp tapping = 202 exp per kill. Exp to reach 21 as a transcendant character is 13,339, meaning roughly 67 poporings. Poporings are all over several maps, this portion took maybe an hour.

Metaling: 492 exp, x2 for event, x1.25 for exp tapping, x1.5 for battle manual = 1845 exp per kill. Exp to go from 21 to 36 as a transcendant character is 149,410, or 81 metalings. Metalings are also all over a number of maps, but take longer to kill, this portion took an hour and a half or so due to a few deaths.

Anubis: 28000 exp, x2 for event, x1.5 for two exp taps, x1.5 for battle manual = 126,000 exp per kill. Exp to go from level 36 to 66 as a transcendant character is 10,380,184, or 82 anubises. This took much longer, as the process was more painstaking and dangerous. Also, the early anubises took a long ass time to kill, as my chance to hit was very low.

Now, you need to inflate all those kill counts by about 10% for the damage done during exp tapping. However, 90 anubises is still not 22 hours of work, not even close.

Please, please, please understand from this that the game you played in beta has changed a lot. The core, where horror lurks around every corner and you have to work to accomplish anything, both in game with time spent, and out of game with understanding game mechanics, and planning, are still there, yes. However, counter "I did this in X time" with math, not with "Nuh uh! It was different when I played, so it cannot have changed!"

Ragnarok is a tough game, but they've made a lot of changes to make leveling easier if you have some friends who are already entrenched in the game. As I said previously, while many things in RO are harder than most other MMOs, the ability of a high level to help a low level gain experience and levels very rapidly is drastically higher. I'm not trying to say that RO is easy, not by a long shot, but having transcended a character by using freaking prize medals to get from 95 to 99 after mercilessly grinding up to 95, and then shazaming up to 66, I can assure you that all the talk of RO's diffuclty using exclusively superlatives and false examples goes a bit too far.

Here's a link to the RO Exp Chart if you feel like checking my math.

Oh hey look, a way of fast leveling with a pocket friend! And weapons used by level 80-90 characters! And at a specific point in time with specific items and a PARTY there at your beck and call!

Surely, everyone in this thread is ABSOLUTLEY wrong and this example is a golden beacon of light showing how iRO has changed.

Wait....

Now don't get me wrong, I too have rose colored glasses reguarding iRO.

But my god is that a horrible example of things massivly changing.

Transporter on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If what he's saying is accurate, NOTHING changed.

They just made you work slightly harder than "Sit in Clock Tower while wizard lines up and rapes clocks."

EDIT: Also, playing during the 2x Experience event alone invalidates it.

GUYS I TOTALLY HIT LEVEL 60 IN LIKE A WEEK (by having someone Recruit-A-Friend me and give me levels every now and then) BUT I TOTALLY DID IT.
    Sorry, it's not the same.

The Muffin Man on
    edited February 2009
    This is scaring me. iRO has repeatable XP quests

...eh, just look for the item name in the middle. left number is how many of that item you need. right of item name is exp reward, second item name is an extra item reward (usually potions)
    Quests
    iRO Premium Servers (Chaos, Loki, Iris)
    NPC ↓ Location ↓ Minimum Level ↓ Maximum Level ↓ Items ↓ Base EXP Reward ↓ Job EXP Reward ↓ Item Reward ↓ Base EXP Per Item ↓ Job EXP Per Item ↓
    Langry (gef_fild07 321, 193) 2 20 25 Fluff 481 38 N/A 19.24 1.52
    Halgus (gef_fild04 191, 54) 2 20 25 Chrysalis 481 38 N/A 19.24 1.52
    Gregor (moc_fild02 74, 329) 10 30 25 Bill of Birds 5,000 2,500 N/A 200 100
    Laertes (prt_fild04 356, 148) 15 45 25 Powder of Butterfly 3,688 1,406 5 Orange Potion 147.52 56.24
    Nutters (mjolnir_01 293, 20) 18 60 25 Acorn 4,500 4,881 5 Orange Potion 180 195.24
    Yullo (mjolnir_01 296, 29) 24 60 25 Porcupine Quill 13,031 7,840 10 Red Potion 521.24 313.6
    Private Jeremy (moc_fild11 57, 138) 25 60 25 Stone Heart 17,500 11,250 N/A 700 450
    Shone (moc_fild17 208, 346) 25 60 25 Earthworm Peeling 19,719 1,406 10 Orange Potion 788.76 56.24
    Lemly (moc_fild17 66, 273) 30 65 25 Frill 37,500 28,750 N/A 1,500 1,150
    Li (pay_fild10 108, 357) 35 70 50 Dokebi Horns 52,500 45,000 N/A 1,050 900
    Lella (ayo_fild01 44, 241) 36 65 50 Huge Leaf 32,175 39,390 10 Yellow Potion 643.5 787.8
    Cuir (cmd_fild01 362, 256) 45 80 20 Anolian Skin 86,188 54,125 10 Yellow Potion 4,309.4 2,706.25
    Local Villager (ein_fild01 43, 249) 60 74 50 Bacillus 312,833 180,565 10 White Potion 6,256.66 3,611.3
    Lilla (um_fild01 35, 281) 60 85 50 Sharp Leaf 293,569 158,631 10 White Potion 5,871.38 3,172.62
    Vegetable Farmer (ein_fild06 82, 171) 70 84 50 Antelope Horn 323,111 193,944 10 White Potion 6,462.22 3,878.88
    iRO Free-to-Play Servers (Valkyrie)
    NPC ↓ Location ↓ Minimum Level ↓ Maximum Level ↓ Items ↓ Base EXP Reward ↓ Job EXP Reward ↓ Item Reward ↓ Base EXP Per Item ↓ Job EXP Per Item ↓
    Langry (gef_fild07 321, 193) 2 20 25 Fluff 385 30 N/A 15.4 1.2
    Halgus (gef_fild04 191, 54) 2 20 25 Chrysalis 385 30 N/A 15.4 1.2
    Gregor (moc_fild02 74, 329) 10 30 25 Bill of Birds 4,000 2,000 N/A 160 80
    Laertes (prt_fild04 356, 148) 15 45 25 Powder of Butterfly 2,950 1,125 5 Orange Potion 118 45
    Nutters (mjolnir_01 293, 20) 18 60 25 Acorn 3,600 3,905 5 Orange Potion 144 156.2
    Yullo (mjolnir_01 296, 29) 24 60 25 Porcupine Quill 10,425 6,272 10 Red Potion 417 250.88
    Private Jeremy (moc_fild11 57, 138) 25 60 25 Stone Heart 14,000 9,000 N/A 560 360
    Shone (moc_fild17 208, 346) 25 60 25 Earthworm Peeling 15,775 1,125 10 Orange Potion 631 45
    Lemly (moc_fild17 66, 273) 30 65 25 Frill 30,000 23,000 N/A 1,200 920
    Li (pay_fild10 108, 357) 35 70 50 Dokebi Horns 42,000 36,000 N/A 840 720
    Lella (ayo_fild01 44, 241) 36 65 50 Huge Leaf 25,740 31,512 10 Yellow Potion 514.8 630.24
    Cuir (cmd_fild01 362, 256) 45 80 20 Anolian Skin 68,950 43,300 10 Yellow Potion 3,447.5 2,165
    Local Villager (ein_fild01 43, 249) 60 74 50 Bacillus 250,266 144,452 10 White Potion 5,005.32 2,889.04
    Lilla (um_fild01 35, 281) 60 85 50 Sharp Leaf 234,855 126,905 10 White Potion 4,697.1 2,538.1
    Vegetable Farmer (ein_fild06 82, 171) 70 84 50 Antelope Horn 258,489 155,155 10 White Potion 5,169.78 3,103.1

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2009
    So I tried making a Ninja but got bored trying to get the quest materials.

So I'm gonna make a Super Novice. Omg Novice if anyone's stupid enough to play.

Not as awesome as Perma-Novice.

Perma-Novice was more impressive, and people enjoyed seeing an actual Novice in higher end dungeons, pretty commendable feat for those with enough patience to do it

GPIA7R on
    edited February 2009
    meh lame. the odds of botting or power leveling is high with perma novice. and this is my first character on the server so no income flow. SN alone is hard enough.

but really, the alure of frost diver someone, cast warp portal behind them, then magnum break them into said portal is too great.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2009
    If what he's saying is accurate, NOTHING changed.

They just made you work slightly harder than "Sit in Clock Tower while wizard lines up and rapes clocks."

EDIT: Also, playing during the 2x Experience event alone invalidates it.

GUYS I TOTALLY HIT LEVEL 60 IN LIKE A WEEK (by having someone Recruit-A-Friend me and give me levels every now and then) BUT I TOTALLY DID IT.
    Sorry, it's not the same.

Exp events are in the game for a reason, and they are fairly frequent now, probably one every other month or so.

Kainy on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I might come back for this.

I had a pretty sweet assassin...I could try out wizard now....hrm.

Is it only the iRO server? Or can I go to jRO for free as well? Gotta practice the Nihongo.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited February 2009
    I just remember botting my way through bibi 3

Unknown User on
    edited February 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    I just remember botting my way through bibi 3

If you're not joking, I hate you and everyone like you.

GPIA7R on
    edited February 2009
    the last character I had i botted to 80something, it was the only character I ever botted and it was awesome.

Unknown User on
    edited February 2009
    Oh yes. Playing last night brought back fond memories (and present realities) of my right hand cramping up from all the clicking.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2009
    Oh yes. Playing last night brought back fond memories (and present realities) of my right hand cramping up from all the clicking.

Just use good ole Ctrl + left click.

A duck! on
    edited February 2009
    Or something like /noshift on... similar to that.

GPIA7R on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Or something like /noshift on... similar to that.

/noshift was so that you could cast things like heal spells on zombies.

/noctrl will take off the need to hold control for autoattack

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Where is this free? I checked ragnarokonline.com and it still talked about subscription fees.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aumni wrote: »
    Where is this free? I checked ragnarokonline.com and it still talked about subscription fees.
    I believe there are the normal subscription servers, and then there's the free Valkyrie server. When you download and install the game client, you'll get two shortcuts on your desktop, one of which will be called "Ragnarok Free", while the other one leads to the subscription stuff.

Dizzen on