As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout 3 == Oblivion?

marz_1982marz_1982 Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
I know this was discussed ad infinitum a few months ago, but that thread is locked and I want to give my 2 cents gd damnit!

Only saw the trailor and info for this game recently (Yes, I live in a cave), and was disappointed to hear that Bethesda were using the Oblivion engine and making it into a FPS RPG. I've got nothing against the Elder Scrolls, loved Morrowind, but Oblivion... just didn't do it for me.

I would've much prefered Bioware's KOTOR engine/mechanic, but I suppose that was out of the question to create for just this game. I suppose turn-based rpgs are old fashioned and too slow nowadays :(

Don't know how old this is, but it's an interesting article asking who Fallout 3 was actually made for:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=37054

Conclusion quoted as follows
Who is this for?

This question remains, and it's an important one. Working on the basis of what we know (and don't forget the disclaimer at the beginning of this article), Bethesda has ignored calls from the traditional fanbase to keep combat and gameplay style" .... "So, asides from people who will buy it to spite NMA users, who are they making this for? Luckily, we have an answer:

[a few quotes from Bethesda here, including... ]

'All of us in the office play a lot of games. So the first thing is we make them for ourselves.' ...

Ah, they're making it for themselves. Good market there, I hear.

Has Bethesda cut corners by mashing the Fallout into their Oblivion engine?

marz_1982 on

• Options
    James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    89974220mo9.jpg

LewieP on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They've updated the engine to look prettier, from what I've heard.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't think anything NMA says counts as objective discussion. NMA is fucking unreasonable in all respects.

Just the way they skew that one quote is pretty sickening. People who work at game companies, are, surprise surprise, gamers. Of course they'll try to make games they'll enjoy playing.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2007
    NMA is the stupidest website in the entire world and nothing it says should be read by anyone ever.

Tube on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    just have patience - wait and see. nma are famously bitter about the progression of fallout 3 so i'd take their words lightly.

i was a sceptic too, but after playing oblivion for a bit i thought this could actually turn out pretty well. at the very least it will look gorgeous. bethesda have thier flaws, but you have to give them more credit than to think they're just going to put out a post-apocalyptic oblivion mod

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    NMA is the stupidest website in the entire world and nothing it says should be read by anyone ever.

But how can we point and laugh if we don't read?

LewieP on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure I've actually banned any discussion of NMA from the forum because it's impossible to talk about fallout without someone bringing them up.

Tube on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am so glad I know nothing of them.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Threads don't really end very happily when someone includes a nma link.

Buuut, I for one enjoyed morrowind and oblivion and am looking forward to some kind of fallout blend.

BTW, the official fallout 3 forums is a cesspool of hate ad ignorance.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just because it uses Oblivion's engine, doesn't mean it's Oblivion with a different skin on it. A well made game engine is a very versatile thing, and can perform a number of functions. You could make an FPS out of the Oblivion engine if you wanted to, you could probably also make a spacesim with some minor modifications. I'm just saying don't confuse gameplay mechanics with engine technology. There's no reason to believe the two games will play at all similar. (Unless of course there is some news post I missed saying they will play exactly the same. I haven't really kept up with it.)

Also, I think your reading the wrong things into that quote. They're are saying they are making the game to be fun and entertaining, something that they as gamers want it to be. They are saying they aren't just looking at it from a business perspective.

Frankly I think that's a great philosophy for a dev team to have.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    uncleannt7.jpg

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure I've actually banned any discussion of NMA from the forum because it's impossible to talk about fallout without someone bringing them up.

So are you telling us to stop talking about them here?

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    GaruGaru Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Making a game that is not an exact copy of the original Fallout will piss off the dedicated fanbase. Many of the "hardcore" fans don't even acknowledge Fallout 2 as a true sequel, and some even refuse to accept it as canon. Does anyone have the quote from the developer in which he lays into those fans for complaining every damn little thing?

Personally, I loved the original Fallout games, and even enjoyed Tactics. I also love Oblivion, and I have very high hopes for this game.

Garu on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No, no, no, no, not even close, no.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As always, until they actually release some sort of video of the gameplay, nothing they're doing is set in stone. Until we actually see the combat, and with what they've described so far until I myself actually play it I will be reserving judgement. It is a difficult but not impossible endeavor to keep the feel of something when changing perspectives (Fallout Prime?) but is Bethesda up to it? We'll have to wait and see. Or we could just jerk each other off until we arrive at the wrong conclusion. Hell at that point the conclusion wouldn't even matter. In fact, I like that plan of action. Let's get started.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    guys i heard there was a fallout 3 in the works

that should be cool huh, im looking forward to playing it

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Citing NMA as a neutral source of information on Fallout 3 is like citing the Westboro Baptist Church in a gay marriage debate.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    VytaeVytae Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If they carebear it in ANYWAY i will be pissed. Frankly i don't think it will be a proper successor to the fallout series for a few simple reasons. It will go to the console also eventually (if not dual development) which means it will be dumbed down right there. I also don't think Bethseda has the intestinal fortitude to make the game truely gritty (ie senseless murder,gratuitous sexuality,mass carnage and some serious moral ambiguity). Not to mention you have to pay for certain Oblivion updates ala micropayment bullshit? you can pretty much guarantee that too.

Not to mention i trust *very* few developers to make a good fps rpg. And frankly,i didnt enjoy Oblivion at all. Morrowwind was sex though. And frankly,im kinda irritated how everyones trying to make everything fps these days,wants wrong with isometric 3rd person view? You can still make things look sexy and awesome without first person yknow.

Vytae on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Vytae wrote: »
    I also don't think Bethseda has the intestinal fortitude to make the game truely gritty (ie senseless murder,gratuitous sexuality,mass carnage and some serious moral ambiguity).

Dude, have you actually PLAYED Morrowind?

Or are you one of those people who just blindly clicks at the screen when text comes up?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If they carebear it in ANYWAY i will be pissed. Frankly i don't think it will be a proper successor to the fallout series for a few simple reasons. It will go to the console also eventually (if not dual development) which means it will be dumbed down right there. I also don't think Bethseda has the intestinal fortitude to make the game truely gritty (ie senseless murder,gratuitous sexuality,mass carnage and some serious moral ambiguity). Not to mention you have to pay for certain Oblivion updates ala micropayment bullshit? you can pretty much guarantee that too.

Not to mention i trust *very* few developers to make a good fps rpg. And frankly,i didnt enjoy Oblivion at all. Morrowwind was sex though. And frankly,im kinda irritated how everyones trying to make everything fps these days,wants wrong with isometric 3rd person view? You can still make things look sexy and awesome without first person yknow.

NMA is :arrow:

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hope Fallout 3 is bigger than Oblivion.

I'm not talking about landmass either I mean quests. Between Morrowind and Oblivion there's a big gap in the number of quests and places that I noticed. I guess it's because they were worried about it looking pretty more than content or maybe it was just harder to program. Ah well.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I also don't think Bethseda has the intestinal fortitude to make the game truely gritty (ie senseless murder,gratuitous sexuality,mass carnage and some serious moral ambiguity).

Or are you one of those people who just blindly clicks at the screen when text comes up?

Compared to Daggerfall Morrowind was pretty toned down.

Ask any TES fan from before Morrowind and they'll talk your ear off about how the series has been sanitized from it's origins.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kagera wrote: »

Compared to Daggerfall Morrowind was pretty toned down.

Ask any TES fan from before Morrowind and they'll talk your ear off about how the series has been sanitized from it's origins.
    Oh, I won't disagree with that.

But still, one of the hallmarks of their last game was a long questline that revolved around being in a group of psychotic religious fanatics killing people in clever ways.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I enjoyed both games, and I think Fallout in the Oblivion engine will be awesome.

However, the fact that they're sticking with Gamebryo (base engine for Morrowind/Oblivion) means it'll run like shit on even the highest-end PCs when it comes out.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    Random Name GeneratorRandom Name Generator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I'm not talking about landmass either I mean quests. Between Morrowind and Oblivion there's a big gap in the number of quests and places that I noticed. I guess it's because they were worried about it looking pretty more than content or maybe it was just harder to program. Ah well.

I really don't think you played Oblivion much.

Random Name Generator on
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The only possible criticism I could lay at the game's feet at this point is something the dev team brought up themselves. With Fallout as opposed to Oblivion, they're forced to render believable post-apocalyptic debris. Trying to walk the tightrope of efficient programming and also making the landscape look cool and junkyard-like is going to be hard to do. (That's an understatement.)

If the landscape or environments aren't quite believable, then I think it will hurt the final game. But of course, we won't know anything until some gameplay footage starts popping up.

Skexis on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know what wasn't very good about Fallout? The combat. Yeah, they can improve on that. Everything else I've read makes it sound like Fallout, so I'm pretty excited about it.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I've always been of the mind that the games themselves kinda sucked, but the writing, atmosphere, and sheer amount of options in going about them more than made up for it.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think it's a safe bet that Fallout 3 will be a great game. I really don't see what all the furor is about.

Random Name Generator on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Go ahead and look at the number of quests available for Morrowind vs. Oblivion and tell me Morrowind didn't have a lot more.

Kagera on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Will the currency be awesome bottlecaps or worthless gold coins?

Couscous on
  • Options
    LA:LA: United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

That link has a list of games created with Oblivion's engine. It is very scaleable

LA: on
    I lurk. That's it.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Go ahead and look at the number of quests available for Morrowind vs. Oblivion and tell me Morrowind didn't have a lot more.

That makes Oblivion small? Morrowind was so big I was too intimidated to even play it. Not that it was a bad thing, but just because Oblivion is not the same size doesn't make it small.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

There were a lot more in Morrowind.

But, admittedly, a rather large percentage of them consisted of you being a deliveryman.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't remember Fallout 1 and 2 having that many quests. The quests that were there were awesome though.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

That makes Oblivion small? Morrowind was so big I was too intimidated to even play it. Not that it was a bad thing, but just because Oblivion is not the same size doesn't make it small.

I never called Oblivion small, I just said I hope Fallout 3 is bigger than Oblivion.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

It also had a lot of shit quests that bored me out of my mind. Oblivion had more than enough to keep me busy without feeling like busy-work. If you managed to exhaust the quests in Oblivion then might I suggest you study the construction tools and create your own stuff? They're very straight-forward. Back in the day I used them to devise a trap-filled dungeon with my character as the owner (and weaponless). My goal? To lure the army outside the door through enough traps and what-not that I could then take the rest out alone. It was hella fun.

If I can do anything like this in Fallout 3 then I will be more than happy.

Random Name Generator on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It will not be Fallout 3 unless I have to wait ten minutes for a heard of mantis to take their turn before doing anything. Then take my turn and wait another ten minutes.

Excitement.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I never called Oblivion small, I just said I hope Fallout 3 is bigger than Oblivion.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, I hope Fallout 3 is quite expansive myself, but not at the cost of quality and polish. I'd rather have a great-looking, great-playing world that is small than a large one that's bland and unenjoyable.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png