Options

Fallout 3 == Oblivion?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    august wrote: »
    It will not be Fallout 3 unless I have to wait ten minutes for a herd of hookers to take their turn before doing anything. Then take my turn and wait another ten minutes.

Excitement.
    Fixed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kagera wrote: »
    I hope Fallout 3 is bigger than Oblivion.

I'm not talking about landmass either I mean quests. Between Morrowind and Oblivion there's a big gap in the number of quests and places that I noticed. I guess it's because they were worried about it looking pretty more than content or maybe it was just harder to program. Ah well.

I really don't think you played Oblivion much.

Go ahead and look at the number of quests available for Morrowind vs. Oblivion and tell me Morrowind didn't have a lot more.

It also had a lot of shit quests that bored me out of my mind. Oblivion had more than enough to keep me busy without feeling like busy-work. If you managed to exhaust the quests in Oblivion then might I suggest you study the construction tools and create your own stuff? They're very straight-forward. Back in the day I used them to devise a trap-filled dungeon with my character as the owner (and weaponless). My goal? To lure the army outside the door through enough traps and what-not that I could then take the rest out alone. It was hella fun.

If I can do anything like this in Fallout 3 then I will be more than happy.

Oblivion's quests had more structure to them, more scripted sequences mashed in and generally more fleshed out objectives. Morrowind was just cut and paste tack here, tack there, change the text. Voila!

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just want to fucking play it and see for myself alright?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    LA: wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

That link has a list of games created with Oblivion's engine. It is very scaleable

Indeed, but it has pretty much no occlusion system at all. That means that looking at some pretty scenery, and looking at a wall with pretty scenery behind it require the same processing power. This plagues Morrowind and Oblivion. Oh, and Oblivion has all sorts of issues with content loading due to the retarded cell system, but that's just shoddy coding on Bethsoft's part.

I hope they fix things up for Fallout. If rendering a debris-strewn landscape is as taxing as it sounds, then they're really gonna need to conserve resources as much as they can.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think it's a safe bet that Fallout 3 will be a great game. I really don't see what all the furor is about.

NMA-related nonsense:
    I don't necessarily agree with the following, but as I understand it, the main argument NMA has is that Oblivion is like easy mode to Morrowind's complexity. The main character can be an ubermensch instead of having more of a rigid class structure. (And the argument is that it's so they can sell the game to more people this way) Morality choices are (supposedly) more obvious and provide less room for roleplaying or character interaction with the world.

They expect Bethesda to do the same with Fallout 3, reducing its replayability and the fun factor they'd like to get out of it.
    I'm more of a wait and see type myself, so even though I might be able to see a small nugget of truth in the NMA rantings, I'm not ready to burn the heathens just yet. They'll tell you they have higher standards, but the truth is that they're just pining for something that, when all is said and done, was like a perfect storm. I don't think original games like Fallout 1 (or Halo 1, or Diablo 1, or Half-Life 1) get made so much as they just happen, and everybody catches on.

Skexis on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Just what the hell do you think you're doing round here without preconceived opinions? Go on, yiff off.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Skexis wrote: »
    I think it's a safe bet that Fallout 3 will be a great game. I really don't see what all the furor is about.

NMA-related nonsense:
    I don't necessarily agree with the following, but as I understand it, the main argument NMA has is that Oblivion is like easy mode to Morrowind's complexity. The main character can be an ubermensch instead of having more of a rigid class structure. (And the argument is that it's so they can sell the game to more people this way) Morality choices are (supposedly) more obvious and provide less room for roleplaying or character interaction with the world.

They expect Bethesda to do the same with Fallout 3, reducing its replayability and the fun factor they'd like to get out of it.
    I'm more of a wait and see type myself, so even though I might be able to see a small nugget of truth in the NMA rantings, I'm not ready to burn the heathens just yet. They'll tell you they have higher standards, but the truth is that they're just pining for something that, when all is said and done, was like a perfect storm. I don't think original games like Fallout 1 (or Halo 1, or Diablo 1, or Half-Life 1) get made so much as they just happen, and everybody catches on.

We're talking about people who will whinge about the super mutants looking more like the Thing than the Hulk, here.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

Just what the hell do you think you're doing round here without preconceived opinions? Go on, yiff off.

The hive mind has spoken. The_Spaniard must leave.

LewieP on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

NMA-related nonsense:

Bethesda has essentially said they aren't doing that. Like, they come out and said that choices will have repercussions and that you won't be able to do everything and be good at everything.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

NMA-related nonsense:

Bethesda has essentially said they aren't doing that. Like, they come out and said that choices will have repercussions and that you won't be able to do everything and be good at everything.

We already know that from previews that have shown that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Frankly, as awesome as Fallout 1 and 2 are, I really don't mind the direction in which Fallout 3 is going. Playing Mass Effect convinced me that Fallout 3 CAN be an excellent game true to the series even if it's over-the-shoulder and not completely turn-based. Baldur's Gate wasn't entirely turn-based yet it stayed very true to DnD.

As for some dumb complaints like "consoles = dumbed down hur hur": Fuck you, elitist. Just because a game doesn't have a billion useless hotkeys and the need for a mouse and a hundred buttons doesn't mean it's dumbed down. If a development team makes a multi-platform game but makes sure to use the strengths of the PC in the PC version and the strengths of a controller in the console version, they'll make a good multi-platform game. As for the watered-down violence and themes, yeah, ok, this much I agree with. I hope it's as sick as it was with Fallout 1 and 2, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Another complaint I don't get: Micropayment expansions. Just don't, you know, fucking buy them. I want my expansion. I want my new content. Go away and let me have fun. I'm not paying with YOUR credit card.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I hate to say it, but the more realistic games get the less I want to blow a kid's lungs out. Maybe that's just me.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I hate to say it, but the more realistic games get the less I want to blow a kid's lungs out. Maybe that's just me.

It's not just you. But it's not me. I still want to do it. In fact, I want to do it even more. :twisted:

Djiem on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hence my little annoyance at Bioshock. I wanted to throttle them little freaks.
    I actually love kids too, strangely

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Random Name GeneratorRandom Name Generator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, we've established that Fallout 3 isn't going to be Fallout 1. I'm glad we had this discussion. Why do I want to play the same game I beat 10 years ago?

Micropayment shit: so wait, they made content and want to be paid for it? Holy shit. I know they gave us free stuff in the past, but apparently they didn't dig that system, and hey guess what! Bethesda has a history of packaging a spectacular set of tools with their games at no additional charge that allow for the creation of some very robust mods. The end of free additional content this isn't.

Random Name Generator on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Frankly, as awesome as Fallout 1 and 2 are, I really don't mind the direction in which Fallout 3 is going. Playing Mass Effect convinced me that Fallout 3 CAN be an excellent game true to the series even if it's over-the-shoulder and not completely turn-based. Baldur's Gate wasn't entirely turn-based yet it stayed very true to DnD.

I've come to the conclusion that I love the combat system in ME and want to see more of it in other games.

Echo on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

NMA-related nonsense:

While I don't want to argue across this table, I feel it is my sacred duty. I will wait for Fallout. I will play it. It will probably be pretty cool and better than par, but not as "woah they make games like this". However, my response to the above is, "Of course they said that. Why would they not say that. If it were, in fact, the opposite, why wouldn't they make one example of why it is like that, leave it in the game so they can say, "we told you so" and then completely not do that. I do not believe anyone ever won any fans by saying, "Yeah, actually we're going to dumb everything down, make it so your choices have no consequences, and I think we're actually going to make everything more clumsy with smaller environments."

Edit: By which I mean fuck it, we'll know when we know.

piL on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My greatest issue with Oblivion is that it isn't anything like Planescape: Torment. The engine feels like it has potential, but it wasn't used as well as it could have been. The quests are a major part of that, there's very little flexibility in how you can react to them or accomplish them. A good deal of the Dark Brotherhood questline involves
    assisting in having your incompetent boss unintentionally screw over everyone in the Dark Brotherhood. When he ordered me to conduct the purge I so wanted to accuse him of being the traitor himself, subdue him, and then either kill him or leave him tied up and conduct the investigation myself based on how good of an alibi he could come up with. Instead I had to go along with his orders and kill a whole bunch of 'innocent' people.

jothki on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As for some dumb complaints like "consoles = dumbed down hur hur": Fuck you, elitist.

Fuck you too, I guess? I wouldn't call myself an elitist, though.
    Just because a game doesn't have a billion useless hotkeys and the need for a mouse and a hundred buttons doesn't mean it's dumbed down.

Yeah, that's not why PC gamers call console games "dumbed down." You can make a console game that isn't dumbed down even without the million buttons (Morrowind, for example, got ported to the XBOX). The problem that PC gamers like myself has is when games are dumbed down not because the console has less buttons but because the targeted consumers for console games are even more retarded than those for PC games, and game designers feel he need to pander to them with simpler, easier games. This is combined with a need to scale back the technical aspects of the game to get it to run with a lot less memory, and without a hard drive. Witness Deus Ex 2's universal ammo system and "you get THIS MANY SLOTS AND NO MORE" inventory, or Thief 3's loading screen every 10 seconds to help it fit on a console (something Deus Ex 2 also had), or Oblivion's ridiculous UI that was thankfully fixed by user mods, and so on. Learning that a game is being co-developed for a console is 9 times out of 10 an indication that it's going to have less complexity than a PC-only game. Hence, dumbed down.
    Another complaint I don't get: Micropayment expansions. Just don't, you know, fucking buy them. I want my expansion. I want my new content. Go away and let me have fun. I'm not paying with YOUR credit card.

You can thank the XBOX Live marketplace for that :D I think that Behesda's sort of wised up with them, seeing as they offered the Fighter's Stronghold for free for a while, but whatever. Fallout doesn't seem like the kind of game that would be a good choice for DLC. It's a narrative, unlike Oblivion, which is just a big ol' sandbox.

My hunch is that Fallout 3 will be pretty good. Oblivion was barely an above-average game without mods, and it was a pretty horrible RPG, but their focus was pretty clearly on making a fantasy sandbox. It seems to me at least that they understand that Fallout 3 is an entirely different game: a story you play through from start to finish. The weakest part of Oblivion is where Fallout 3 is going to have to shine, but then again, it was the part they neglected in Oblivion, and which they're going to be working on pretty hard for FO3. In any case, it certainly looks pretty. Maybe if they screw it up we'll get some nice mods.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The problem that PC gamers like myself has is when games are dumbed down not because the console has less buttons but because the targeted consumers for console games are even more retarded than those for PC games, and game designers feel he need to pander to them with simpler, easier games.

But this whole part of the problem is not inherent to multi-platforming, just to asshole devs. Many PC users (not you, but many of 'em) seem to bitch the second they hear it's multi-platform because OBVIOUSLY it's IMPOSSIBLE to make it right, for the issue quoted above.

Djiem on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    My greatest issue with Oblivion is that it isn't anything like Planescape: Torment. The engine feels like it has potential, but it wasn't used as well as it could have been. The quests are a major part of that, there's very little flexibility in how you can react to them or accomplish them. A good deal of the Dark Brotherhood questline involves
    assisting in having your incompetent boss unintentionally screw over everyone in the Dark Brotherhood. When he ordered me to conduct the purge I so wanted to accuse him of being the traitor himself, subdue him, and then either kill him or leave him tied up and conduct the investigation myself based on how good of an alibi he could come up with. Instead I had to go along with his orders and kill a whole bunch of 'innocent' people.

I have to agree with Jothki here, Bethesda has point out a bunch of good stuff to begin with but if only they could take it just one step further, it would be total sex. The Dark brotherhood is highlighted as the high point of Oblivion and possibly the highpoint of the ES in general. Now while we all wish that was the same standard that was used in the entire game, that would take to much time and technology would jump by two generations by the time it was completed
    But would that be such a bad thing, then we could run it faster and could download texture packs to make it look nicer?

Ultimately, the saving grace of Fallout 3 will be the saving grace of every other Bethesda game,

"Oh, there's a mod to fix that"

Rest assured, one way or another, you will be slamming a super sledgehammer in the groin of a child.

edit: Personally, I feel that while consoles are nice, they just don't feel as user friendly as a PC.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hell, someone managed to add dismemberment to Oblivion pretty well.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't care how they do combat. I think just about anything would be better than the turn base stuff they had going on in the first two. God forbid you got in a gun fight in a populated city and if your play through was like mine you probably did. What I hope to see in Fallout 3 is the Perks system, the atmosphere, the dark humor, and a few pop culture references littered about. Oh and of course a dog companion. Real or robot it doesn't matter to me.

Oh and hookers. Lots and lots of hookers.

Also NMA is pretty good for a laugh. . . if you take the necessary precautions before entering that wasteland. Actually I think calling NMA a wasteland is insulting to wastelands because at least wastelands have badass roving bands of raiders.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If Bethesda can put armor on a horse, they can whip up some armor for Dogmeat. I don't care if the armor is an empty trashcan with for holes for legs, I don't want to lose Dogmeat like I lost him at the end of Fallout 1. No matter what you did, Dogmeat followed you but was gunned down by heavy weapons. D:

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If Bethesda can put armor on a horse, they can whip up some armor for Dogmeat. I don't care if the armor is an empty trashcan with for holes for legs, I don't want to lose Dogmeat like I lost him at the end of Fallout 1. No matter what you did, Dogmeat followed you but was gunned down by heavy weapons. D:

I just punched him once until he went hostile then ran off the map.

Exactly like Harry and the Hendersons.

august on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The engine doesn't define much of the mechanics or anything... they could have just chosen the oblivion engine because it's pretty.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hell, someone managed to add dismemberment to Oblivion pretty well.

WANT!

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This was my face when I saw this thread title in G&T:

TheScream.jpg

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hope Fallout 3 is bigger than Oblivion.

I'm not talking about landmass either I mean quests. Between Morrowind and Oblivion there's a big gap in the number of quests and places that I noticed. I guess it's because they were worried about it looking pretty more than content or maybe it was just harder to program. Ah well.

I really don't think you played Oblivion much.

There really isn't very much actual content in Oblivion. In that there's no real reward for doing any of the quests, and they aren't all that fun. There's more neat stuff to do in Fallout 2 than Oblivion.

I loved Morrowind, so I'm definitely giving bethesda a chance, but F3 should be nothing like Oblivion.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The question is how will it be different from STALKER?

It does have a major lead by having a much awesomer/more hilarious universe.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Crashmo wrote: »

Stalker is mostly shooting and conversation. The extent of the levelling is the armor you use and the weapon you wield.

Fallout will have levelling, perks ( Added attributes like strength, charisma, how well you fuck (not kidding) and other things more akin to an RPG, opening up different playstyles.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »

Stalker is mostly shooting and conversation. The extent of the levelling is the armor you use and the weapon you wield.

Fallout will have levelling, perks ( Added attributes like strength, charisma, how well you fuck (not kidding) and other things more akin to an RPG, opening up different playstyles.

Well I guess I will just have to buy 4 copies of this game now won't I?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I reloaded so many god damn times in the last level and used so many stimpacks just to get Dogmeat out alive. Everyone else could die for all I care, but Dogmeat and me, we were in it all the way.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Well I guess I will just have to buy 4 copies of this game now won't I?

You fucking better, Interplay need the funds for a Fallout MMO.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I bought the collectors edition of Oblivion, and my subsequent disappointment and rage at the game makes me frightful for Fallout 3's future.

I remain undecided, but one thing is for sure and that is that I will not buy another game from Bethesda without proof that it is awesome. I hope they release a demo, because after oblivion that is the only way they'll get me to buy this.

Vic on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love how people act as soon as they hear about Bethesda buying up such a "precious" license. It's almost as if they've never played a Bethesda game before, and they automatically assume the game will suck for some reason. You people really need to relax, we know next to nothing about Fallout 3 and it's being handled by a studio with a lot of experience. Have some faith, sheesh.

EDIT: Terrible time to post.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I know this a little off-topic, but I don't understand all the hate for Oblivion. I sank a lot of time into it, and I enjoyed playing through the game. In fact, all the people that I personally know that played it enjoyed it as well (there are only four).

My friends all played it on 360, and I played it on PS3. Also, none of us ever played Morrowind. Perhaps these factors have something to do with it.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Neaden wrote: »
    If Bethesda can put armor on a horse, they can whip up some armor for Dogmeat. I don't care if the armor is an empty trashcan with four holes for legs, I don't want to lose Dogmeat like I lost him at the end of Fallout 1. No matter what you did, Dogmeat followed you but was gunned down by heavy weapons. D:

I reloaded so many god damn times in the last level and used so many stimpacks just to get Dogmeat out alive. Everyone else could die for all I care, but Dogmeat and me, we were in it all the way.

Since Dogmeat isn't in the ending cinema, we can only assume he died of worms during the hike back to the Vault.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I believe the Fallout Bible stated that the Fallout 2 manual stated that Dogmeat died from those fucking lasers. I tried to disable them, but I wasn't good enough...

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Lasers?!? They seared my four-legged friend with a laser gun?

emnmnme on