As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout 3 == Oblivion?

• Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, running/riding around Cyrodiil was fun at first, but soon the insta-travel feature became my best friend. After I got over the "Woah, this is a neat looking game" feeling, that's when I started teleporting.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Arrath wrote: »
    I had a problem with normal travel in oblivion. That goddamned compass was TOO good. I had to check out every little mark that came up, not to mention close every single Oblivion gate I found.

Just disable it

Then I'd miss all these little camps and caves! Also, xbox, dunno if I can turn it off. It was fun to explore all the ruins, just made traveling take forever.

Arrath on
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oblivion needed NPCs with better character interactions. Aside from an incredible game world, Elder Scrolls IV just lacked life or personality. Oblivion felt empty in terms of character interaction; Compare it to a MMORPG, except you are the only one playing.

I enjoy Fallout because it created atmosphere so well. But not just because of the artistry of the game world. There were a limited number of NPCs within Fallout and fewer still that imparted plot momentum. Yet many of them had bits of the story they imparted either by insightful reflection of the game world, or sometimes even humorous comments about their place in it.
    I also admit to having a fondness for dialogue trees. Even if all chosen comments had a single outcome, I at least felt I had a voice in that world that was uniquely my own.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    *activate really sensitive voice mode*

Okay children, we are all going to sit down with pen and paper and write a story for a character in a post nuclear apocalyptic wasteland. We are going to use our I MA GIN A TIONS as much as possible and make a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally interesting character. Pay no attention to the blackboard with the weezing nerds behind it.

It was a joke about Funzo off the simpsons.

I hope that they come out with a story as interesting as the twins in Oblivion. That was another highpoint of the story that rivaled the Dark Brotherhood and is a good idea of how to continue quests in the future.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Dark Brotherhood is pretty overhyped. It was alright, given how bad most quests in that game were, but hardly amazing.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm not sure I can understand anyone who has fears for the quality of Fallout 3. The teaser website was fantastic. Every single screenshot and background image that's been shown is fantastic. The developers make it quite clear that there will be meaningful, moral decisions to be made along with plentiful opportunities to be a complete monster. There's a handheld nuke catapult as a weapon. Really, with all that's been shown I personally can't doubt that Fallout 3 is going to be exquisite.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    canemaquiluscanemaquilus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Oblivion does not bode well for fallout.

As for the question of whether all the awesome player made mods mean oblivions a good game or demonstrate how lacking the original content was, its the second one.

Was Oblivion really all that bad? Come on now, be honest.

You cannot reason with Fallout drones.

Auctually I'm a baldurs gate two drone.

As for oblivion, yes it was fucking terrible. Worst waste of my money since I bought dakitana for five bucks.

Zero motherfucking character development and the quests sucked both my balls.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Oblivion does not bode well for fallout.

As for the question of whether all the awesome player made mods mean oblivions a good game or demonstrate how lacking the original content was, its the second one.

Was Oblivion really all that bad? Come on now, be honest.

You cannot reason with drones period.

Auctually I'm a baldurs gate two drone.

As for oblivion, yes it was fucking terrible. Worst waste of my money since I bought dakitana for five bucks.

Zero motherfucking character development and the quests sucked both my balls.

Hevach on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One of the things that annoyed me in Oblivion was the enemy scaling. I really didn't like the fact that when I was wearing glass armor, suddenly everyone else also had it.

Also, I had just played dark messiah of might and magic, and the combat in that game surpassed oblivions on all levels. So that was unfortunate.

All in all, oblivion was an okay game. It was my first elder scrolls game, and I enjoyed it. The main quest was quite dissapointing though.

Oh yeah, and fallout 3. I fucking loved the other fallouts. Can't wait for it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't get how inventory screens are so fucking hard to do.

JUST MAKE A FUCKING WINDOW WITH ICONS AND NAME OF THE ITEM AND HOW MANY THERE ARE AND MAKE IT SORTABLE BASED ON VARIOUS CATEGORIES LIKE WEAPON, ARMOR, MISC, ETC GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.

I mean, shit I don't remember many JRPGs that had a problem with inventory screens.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    To be fair, there was a lot about Oblivion I liked. They clearly put a lot of effort into world building, which I appreciate. The open-ended sandbox design of the quest trees- not the quest themselves, but the overarching organization of quests- was pretty nifty. I do like the idea of a game with lots of "main plotlines", based on factions and such. A lot of the sidequests in Mass Effect feel sort of petty, though they do seem to have spent a good amount of time making a lot of them fairly interesting.

Personally, my "Ideal CRPG" would incorporate a fair amount of stuff found in Oblivion. It would just add a heaping helping of some others. Most importantly, but not limited to- Mass Effect, Torment, BG2, Bloodlines, Jade Empire and Fallout.

I try to be fair to it- it did occupy my attention for some 30 hours, which is pretty good for a game. But one day in my playing I found myself sitting down to start it up and couldn't do it- uninstalling it without a second thought and putting it away forever. Just couldn't hold my attention once I had explored the admittedly pretty world.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really enjoyed playing Oblivion. I thought it was an outstanding game.

I'm really looking forward to playing Fallout 3. I think it will be an outstanding game.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I really enjoyed playing Oblivion. I thought it was an outstanding game.

I'm really looking forward to playing Fallout 3. I think it will be an outstanding game.

I really enjoyed this post. I thought it was an outstanding post.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm interested in Fallout 3, because the setting seems cool, but I've never played Fallout 1 or 2, and I didn't much like Oblivion. Oblivion just felt very bland and uninspired with almost no direction. The characters constantly pulled you out of any sort of experience you'd start to have, and I didn't like the battle system at all. That, and I don't like first person came too much, and the 3rd person in the game sucked a lot. Then there's the crappy animation system. All in all, it was a pretty game sometimes and not much more. I probably shouldn't hope for Fallout 3 at all because of all this.

Do Fallout 1 & 2 stand the test of time? Will I be as wowwed by them now? I say this as someone who generally dislikes western RPGs. I mean, I own both F1 and 2, I've just never really given them any time.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Do Fallout 1 & 2 stand the test of time? Will I be as wowwed by them now? I say this as someone who generally dislikes western RPGs. I mean, I own both F1 and 2, I've just never really given them any time.

Some of their flaws will be more apparant. And the graphics are slightly low res, compared to say, Baldur's Gate.

The core gameplay is still there, and I'm sure the atmosphere, if you've never played before. And to this day, there is no game that surpassed Fallout 2 in true non linear gameplay. You can do literally anything in that game. You have a starting point, and an ending point. The entire rest of the game is optional. Its the only truly non linear RPG.

I played Fallout 2 again a year or two ago, and despite having played it to death in the past, it stood up quite well.

Like Dialogue tree, Fallout invented the in depth dialogue trees. Like having multiple options? Fallout invented non combat options and mutliple paths. All subsequent games to use them pale in comparisson, as if they are including them as a nod to Fallout, rather than trying to best it.

Of course, given that the only competition Fallout has gotten since its release are other Black Ilse/Troika games, and Baldur's Gate, you're damn right it still stands up.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Some of their flaws will be more apparant. And the graphics are slightly low res, compared to say, Baldur's Gate.

The core gameplay is still there, and I'm sure the atmosphere, if you've never played before. And to this day, there is no game that surpassed Fallout 2 in true non linear gameplay. You can do literally anything in that game. You have a starting point, and an ending point. The entire rest of the game is optional. Its the only truly non linear RPG.

I played Fallout 2 again a year or two ago, and despite having played it to death in the past, it stood up quite well.

That's kind of what I was afraid to hear though. I just can't stand non-linear games. I can't play them. I usually get bored and play something else. I need a direction to go. I need a main storyline that's compelling. That's one of the reasons I haven't actually played my copies of F1 & 2; they're western RPGs, and as such they're probably too non-linear for me.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008

That's kind of what I was afraid to hear though. I just can't stand non-linear games. I can't play them. I usually get bored and play something else. I need a direction to go. I need a main storyline that's compelling. That's one of the reasons I haven't actually played my copies of F1 & 2; they're western RPGs, and as such they're probably too non-linear for me.

Fallout 1 is an old school, linear RPG. In a way, its a superior game, due to its focus. However, its way shorter. I've beaten it in a day before. Of course, if you've never played it before, it will last way longer than that.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2008
    Be aware that the first half hour of both games is weak as piss.

Tube on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd have seriously played Fallout II three hundred times more if it weren't for that goddamned Temple Of Trials.

And Klamath.

Fuck Klamath.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The trick to the temple of trials is to literally just run through, only stopping to plant the explosive on the door.

The enemies in there have few AP, and can't catch you.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I seem to recall that Darklands invented the in-depth dialogue trees, given that it came out in 1992... but Fallout refined them and did them better.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I seem to recall that Darklands invented the in-depth dialogue trees, given that it came out in 1992... but Fallout refined them and did them better.

There are previous games that have dialogue trees(they've been around a really long time). But not to the same extent or scale I'm talking about.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Having just started playing Fallout 1 all I can say is the fact that I didn't play this when it was originally released probably hurts some of the impact it's supposed to have.

Because right now it seems decidedly average.

Kagera on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Having just started playing Fallout 1 all I can say is the fact that I didn't play this when it was originally released probably hurts some of the impact it's supposed to have.

Because of the graphics?

Because the SPECIAL system is still pretty sweet, and it's not like turn-based combat has been innovated much.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

How far are you? Because it doesn't really start kicking ass till you get the 10mm SMG, the Autoshotgun, or other equally fun weapons.

Also, reinstalling Fallout 1. Ah, I remember when the full install was double the total space of my HD.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    and it's not like turn-based combat has been innovated much.
    Well, it kind of did the next year when Baldur's Gate came out. I still love pure turn based, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was waiting for someone to mention Darklands <3

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Because of the graphics?

Because the SPECIAL system is still pretty sweet, and it's not like turn-based combat has been innovated much.

No, I like the graphics despite them being outdated and all. I just haven't hit that 'WOW' moment I was told about yet.

Like the Dialogue trees, I haven't seen anything I'd call amazing yet. Adventure game quality actually.

It is open ended which is nice and the weapon variety is fun. But I'm not ready to bow to it or anything yet.

I'm still early in the game though so who knows, maybe I'll find it aftrer I find that damn water chip.

Kagera on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Since this is the Fallout thread and we're talking about Fallout 1 and I just started playing Fallout 1:
    I just got the job to figure out why the caravans are disappearing and I bought this Vault location disk from the librarian, but now I am confused as to where to go. I want to go to Vault 12 and get their water chip but I guess the game doesn't want me to go there yet

Also I have enough money to send a water caravan to my Vault but the dialogue makes me suspicious - I don't want anything bad to find my Vault and kill the nice people inside

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No, I like the graphics despite them being outdated and all. I just haven't hit that 'WOW' moment I was told about yet.

Like the Dialogue trees, I haven't seen anything I'd call amazing yet. Adventure game quality actually.

It is open ended which is nice and the weapon variety is fun. But I'm not ready to bow to it or anything yet.

I'm still early in the game though so who knows, maybe I'll find it aftrer I find that damn water chip.

Fallout 1 and 2 are different games. Most of what you have heard about pure freedom and in depth dialogue is from 2.

Fallout 1 is a really well made traditional RPG, its notable for having multiple ways of dealing with quests, over the top violence, a unique setting and great atmosphere.

In the end, I prefer Fallout 1 for its more balanced, focused nature, and for a more focused setting, less easter eggs and jokes. But know that the gameplay is what stood out in it the most. Though.....having a high speech craft does help in the end. Think Mass Effect...
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Since this is the Fallout thread and we're talking about Fallout 1 and I just started playing Fallout 1:
    I just got the job to figure out why the caravans are disappearing and I bought this Vault location disk from the librarian, but now I am confused as to where to go. I want to go to Vault 12 and get their water chip but I guess the game doesn't want me to go there yet

Also I have enough money to send a water caravan to my Vault but the dialogue makes me suspicious - I don't want anything bad to find my Vault and kill the nice people inside

If you send a caravan to the vault, it adds a timer to the final quest, but reduces the timer on the first quest. I wouldn't recommend doing it. To find out where to go, you have to find out about the necropolis

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I still think Fallout's combat is like butt.

How armor is handled, for one thing.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    Random Name GeneratorRandom Name Generator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I entered the Glow the first time I found out where it was. At the time I was still a little sketchy on why it had that name, so you can assume I didn't last long. That was cool. On my reload, I managed to find the alien space ship. God I wrecked so much shop after that. A little reading and the purchase of some rad-x later and I was good to go.

I'll give them credit for making a great game. There's a lot of stuff I didn't find out about it. Mostly how to game the perk system. I never had a character that one-shotted super mutants with groin shots or whatever it was you could do.

Edit: also, Fallout couldn't have had a more inferior inventory system. I know it's been gone over before, but how they let the game out the door like that is beyond me.

Random Name Generator on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One last question:
    I only have Dogmeat as a companion right now and he is the best, but I feel like I should have another dude with me by now. Have I missed someone?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GUTSGUTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Having recently completed Fallout 1, and eagerly looking forward to playing the sequel, i have to admit that the game had a magnificent central plot and setting compared to Oblivion. The setting was excellent, characters interesting and funny, the gameplay mechanic was finely balanced, and the central plot with the time running out gave everything a brilliant sense of urgency.

Oblivion for me was just bland. Cliche and generic, admittedly beautiful fantasy setting, that was full of boring deadeyed characters with almost nothing interesting to say or do. The gameplay mechanic for me is not that important, as long as they can capture the atmosphere and feel of the original game, along with the interesting characters and storylines, i feel they would have done a good job.

Edit: response to olivaw
    I managed to get 3 companions, and i am certain i missed out 1 in either Junktown or Shady. I got dogmeat, a woman in apocalypse of flower library and Ian :) in one of the earlier towns.

GUTS on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One last question:
    I only have Dogmeat as a companion right now and he is the best, but I feel like I should have another dude with me by now. Have I missed someone?

other team mates will kill the shit out of you

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One last question:
    Oops. Well, don't get any companions. DON'T!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    One last question:

You can get Ian in Shady Sands. I really don't feel that this is spoiler worthy.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    One last question:
    There is a dwarf outside of the shop where you need to go to find the origins of the ring you have. I found him useful. There is the only tech healer companion in the game and an evil tech gnome who uses guns in Dernholm.
    There is also an evil monk and barbarian waiting inside of a bar in the first town.

Oh, and don't forget to visit Mercurio for some awesome weapons.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    One last question:
    There is a dwarf outside of the shop where you need to go to find the origins of the ring you have. I found him useful. There is the only tech healer companion in the game and an evil tech gnome who uses guns in Dernholm.
    There is also an evil monk and barbarian waiting inside of a bar.

Oh, and don't forget to visit Mercurio for some awesome weapons.
    Damn it, didn't edit it fast enough.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GUTSGUTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One last question:

You can get Ian in Shady Sands. I really don't feel that this is spoiler worthy.

Fucking annoying twat that one, fed up of constantly telling him to use his freaking best weapon in next battle. He had a propensity to dig out the knife at every opportunity.

GUTS on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One last question:

other team mates will kill the shit out of you
    There is a guy in Shady Sands named Ian whom you can take. For a fun time; save your game, give him a submachinegun, and watch the fun.
    Some things you need to experience for yourself. :lol:

themocaw on