As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So...this comes out in like...three days.

I've got mine pre-ordered! But I just read the Game Informer review (where it won Game of the Month, don'tcha know) and apparently once you beat Ico there's a co-op mode where a second player can play as Yorda

Was this known or was I just terribly behind? That's a pretty neat bonus.

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    So...this comes out in like...three days.

I've got mine pre-ordered! But I just read the Game Informer review (where it won Game of the Month, don'tcha know) and apparently once you beat Ico there's a co-op mode where a second player can play as Yorda

Was this known or was I just terribly behind? That's a pretty neat bonus.

I believe that was in the non-US version of the game, so you're a decade behind.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Psht

Like other countries matter

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Between this and Space Marine multiplayer, I should have plenty to keep me occupied until Arkham City.

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Yorda co-op mode is forgettable though. Very forgettable.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    It's all about the lightsaber

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's looking like we're finally getting the PAL version of Ico, with all the extra stuff they got. I don't really care about the co-op mode, extra weapons, or subtitles. I just want my watermelon ending!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote:
    Between this and Space Marine multiplayer, I should have plenty to keep me occupied until Arkham City.

Between my PS3 breaking yet again and my enormous backlog (Dead Space 2, Catherine, LBP2, RE4 HD, GoW Origins Collection and Dungeon Siege 3), I've no fucking clue when I'll get around to play this. :cry:

Think I'll finally give Witcher a go in the mean time.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So it seems Best Buy might have the best deal for this game, if you've been interested in any of the other titles:
    Save $20 when buy any 2 of these games at the same time:

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection $39.99
    God of War: Origins Collection $39.99
    Uncharted Dual Pack $39.99
    Resistance Dual Pack $39.99

It's basically 4 games for the price of one, no matter what combination you go for (even though the first two are technically ports).

I've been holding out on God of War OC, so it looks like I'll be nabbing both on Tuesday.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Fry's $29.99

• Options
    Yes, but you would get it at that price anyway if you were interested in getting any of those other games listed.

I was interested in a deal for GoW, so this works in my favor.

I've heard somewhat mixed opinions on SOTC though; the framerate is apparently leagues better regardless, but some have claimed that it still dips like crazy in parts.

• Options
    Kmart $15 gaming coupon with purchase but good fucking luck finding it at KMART

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Yes, but you would get it at that price anyway if you were interested in getting any of those other games listed.

I was interested in a deal for GoW, so this works in my favor.

I've heard somewhat mixed opinions on SOTC though; the framerate is apparently leagues better regardless, but some have claimed that it still dips like crazy in parts.

I read the frame rate can take a dip at 1080p but other than that it's fine. Also it struggles with 3d apparently, which upsets me :(

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote:
    Can't you disable trophy pop ups within the system menu? It's a bit of a pain to do it for just one game but it'd be worthwhile.
    I haven't played my PS3 since before the trophy system, so can anyone confirm that I can turn off all pop ups and thus not worry about pop ups like trophies during the game?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    B:L wrote:
    Kmart $15 gaming coupon with purchase but good fucking luck finding it at KMART

It'll be there. They've done a good job of turning their video game department around. Their EMPLOYEES are another matter. Hoo boy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Mr_Grinch wrote:
    Can't you disable trophy pop ups within the system menu? It's a bit of a pain to do it for just one game but it'd be worthwhile.
    I haven't played my PS3 since before the trophy system, so can anyone confirm that I can turn off all pop ups and thus not worry about pop ups like trophies during the game?

There is no option to turn off Trophy pop ups. Sorry. :(

• Options
    WUT

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    I still don't get the hubbub about Trophy pop-ups :?

Obviously if they thought it was important they would have delayed them, since it can be done (see Heavy Rain)

If it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for you.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    There's a system function to turn off PSN sign-in notifications.

There should be a system function to turn off trophy notifications. End of story.

• Options
    But there is no system function, but there IS a workaround, and they're (probably) choosing not to use it.

Therefore, they are fine with it, and it is apparently the way the game is meant to be experienced.

• Options
    If it's something built into the game inherently, yes. But trophies are something built into the whole ps3 system and that should be something that users can tweak. There should be options.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    edit: argh, stupid new forum system.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I'm not arguing against the concept that there should be a system-wide Trophy notification turn-off. Not even I want to hear Trophy dings sometimes and I'm a Trophy whore.

What I am arguing is that everyone seems to have chosen this particular game to go nuts with the notification stuff, when

A) It's no different from any other game, so why bitch about only this one in particular?
    B) The developers of Heavy Rain found a way around this because they, as many people here seem to think, thought their game was somehow above the concept of Trophies, and they delayed them to chapter breaks where immersion was little. They could have done this in Ico/Shadow of the Colossus (Trophies collect on the couches, Trophies collect after you beat a Colossi), but they've been working on this port for a good long time, Heavy Rain's been out with its example for nearly two years, and they looked at their final product and didn't see the need to delay the Trophies. It is as the developers intended, and I think it's condescending as hell to suggest that your approach might be better.

EDIT: And that's not to say that every port is automatically perfect because it's approved by the studio. I mean, look at RE4, it's a lazy port. They just up-ressed it and did nothing about the textures. But Trophies are something that weren't in the original game, they added them in and chose how they'd be distributed to the player, and that should be that. Delaying Trophies would be an artistic choice, one they didn't choose to make.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/notification.html

Notes that you can turn off all notifications, which should include trophies. Haven't' tried it yet.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    i forget about ico, but sotc normally has no hud. it only shows up when needed. most of the time it's a pretty picture you're watching in motion.

pop ups break immersion. and ico and sotc are very immersive to me. i don't care that that isn't a real word

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Immersive isn't a word?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I'm not arguing against the concept that there should be a system-wide Trophy notification turn-off. Not even I want to hear Trophy dings sometimes and I'm a Trophy whore.

What I am arguing is that everyone seems to have chosen this particular game to go nuts with the notification stuff, when

A) It's no different from any other game, so why bitch about only this one in particular?
    B) The developers of Heavy Rain found a way around this because they, as many people here seem to think, thought their game was somehow above the concept of Trophies, and they delayed them to chapter breaks where immersion was little. They could have done this in Ico/Shadow of the Colossus (Trophies collect on the couches, Trophies collect after you beat a Colossi), but they've been working on this port for a good long time, Heavy Rain's been out with its example for nearly two years, and they looked at their final product and didn't see the need to delay the Trophies. It is as the developers intended, and I think it's condescending as hell to suggest that your approach might be better.

EDIT: And that's not to say that every port is automatically perfect because it's approved by the studio. I mean, look at RE4, it's a lazy port. They just up-ressed it and did nothing about the textures. But Trophies are something that weren't in the original game, they added them in and chose how they'd be distributed to the player, and that should be that. Delaying Trophies would be an artistic choice, one they didn't choose to make.

Not really. It's been finished for months now, Sony just delayed it so that they could get it out closer to The Last Guardian's release and build up a bit of hype. Otherwise I doubt BluePoint would've had enough people to also port MGS2 and MGS3 at the same time.

As far as trophies go, I don't really care. It'd be neat if Sony added the option to disable the notifications but I really doubt I'd do it.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote:
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/notification.html

Notes that you can turn off all notifications, which should include trophies. Haven't' tried it yet.

That doesn't work for Trophies. Renzo's right, there is currently no way to do it.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Trophy and Achievements annoy me, if I could turn off an irritating pop up then I would, though this is hardly the time or place to be discussing it :)

I'll go back to bitching about the supposed rocky 3D frame-rate in SOTC.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Well, change of plans; seems that Newegg promo they had way back for pre-ordering the game for $30 went through for me; I wasn't certain about this since it was never listed in my account, and it was done rather quickly during class.

I could probably just return it to Newegg and still bite on the Best Buy promo, but that seems like a lot of work just to save $10 on the GoW collection, which I'm not even certain I'll have time to play. I doubt BB would let me return one game without charging me the full amount on the other, either.

Edit: Actually, it seems Newegg won't accept a return on this, only a replacement. Darn.

The real reason I'm still trying to get it through Best Buy is so I can get the full amount for the sealed copy of Gears of War 3 (which is being sold for less than retail price on Ebay).

So, Plan B would be to go to Best Buy on Tuesday, get full credit on Gears of War 3, get Ico/SOTC and GOW: OC, save the $20, and sell the extra Ico/SOTC copy on Ebay. I figure selling it for $30-$35 on release day would likely guarantee a purchase that same day.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Dammit

Why can't GameStop do a midnight release for every noteworthy game

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Because SotC and Ico aren't dudebro games. They don't give a shit about us filthy, worldly, liberal weeaboos.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I was at least hoping another major title would release today

Sometimes I've been able to pick up games that didn't have midnight releases because they piggy-backed on another game's release date (I picked up the PS3 version of BioShock at the Fable II launch, for example)

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Should have this tomorrow. Can't wait to squeeze one of these in between now and my wedding in two weeks. Probably play ICO.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I have the Japanese ICO/Shadows of the Colossus boxed set. It's very pretty, and the avatars and custom themes were a nice bonus considering the cost of the whole set was less than the cost of the games individually. Unfortunately, the subtitles stay on the screen for about 3 seconds, and are written in a very strange Japanese font, so my wife usually translates what I can't read in the short amount of time. More unfortunately, that bonus video that can be downloaded from the PSN doesn't exist for the Japanese. I was pretty bummed about that. Wanted a look behind the scenes of The Last Guardian.

This is my first time through both games. My wife really likes watching me play ICO, and she helped me figure out how to time my jump onto that darn windmill. She also keeps telling me I'm smart when I figure out puzzles quickly. /flex

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Subtitles translated into human language on the first run through? Boo I say! How dare they change things?!
    Next thing you'll be telling me you can get the lightsaber and melon ending on the initial play.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I hope that is option, the language bit.

Does anyone recall this really long, awesome page that did an analysis on either Ico or SOTC (I BELIEVE it was Ico). It was cut up into chapters and it was just this guy analyzing the whole game nearly scene by scene? I'm trying to find the site but I can't recall anything about it besides what I just said, and so far my searched have turned up things, just not that specific site.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    If you are genuinely upset that trophy notifications pop up while you're trying to immerse yourself in shadow of the colossus, please just put the controller down for a second, take a deep breath, and appreciate the life you have. Seriously, if that's what you can think of to get upset about, I'd say you have a pretty good life and could maybe not worry about dumb shit that doesn't matter.

• Options
    I wouldn't say anyone is genuinely upset. Maybe slightly annoyed, a little bit befuddled.

First world problems yeah, but people are just bringing up an issue they think are relevant to help them enjoy the game without being bent out of shape about it.

If someone is putting up an online petition, now that would be different.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Still, I don't see why turning off trophy notifications isn't an option. You can do it on 360.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg