As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/lg-display-shows-why-it-thinks-3dtv-has-a-shot-with-passive-glas/
    So far 3DTV hasn't increased sales by as much as predicted, but LG Display thinks it can turn that around with three simple letters: FPR (branded Cinema 3D by its consumer arm earlier today.) Standing for Film Pattern Retarder, it places a thin film over the LCD (there's no plans for plasma products) that allows 3D viewing with cheap, passive polarized 3D glasses instead of expensive and heavier active shutter glasses. LG plans to stop manufacturing active shutter 3D displays soon.

So active shutter glasses will start being replaced with polarized lenses starting this year it seems.

LG actually qualified that by saying they wouldn't be phasing out Active 3D on their Plasma sets. At present Active 3D is the only way to get 1080p to each eye, Passive is 720p only. Panasonic have no interest in doing passive by all accounts.

If they did a passive Plasma 3d set I'd snap it up in an instant, but there are some 3D shutter glasses coming in for between £30 and £50 now so it's not too bad. A far cry from the £100 lg ones I purchased when I first got my set!

Also I really want to watch that demo but can't at work :(

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    considering how much i hate any kind of spoiler, i'm curious if i should even blue dot this thread. but still i'm really interested in the ico+sotc thing and don't want to miss out on any info for it
    Everyone in the game dies. All of them. Totally dead.

JAEF on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/lg-display-shows-why-it-thinks-3dtv-has-a-shot-with-passive-glas/
    So far 3DTV hasn't increased sales by as much as predicted, but LG Display thinks it can turn that around with three simple letters: FPR (branded Cinema 3D by its consumer arm earlier today.) Standing for Film Pattern Retarder, it places a thin film over the LCD (there's no plans for plasma products) that allows 3D viewing with cheap, passive polarized 3D glasses instead of expensive and heavier active shutter glasses. LG plans to stop manufacturing active shutter 3D displays soon.

So active shutter glasses will start being replaced with polarized lenses starting this year it seems.

LG actually qualified that by saying they wouldn't be phasing out Active 3D on their Plasma sets. At present Active 3D is the only way to get 1080p to each eye, Passive is 720p only. Panasonic have no interest in doing passive by all accounts.

Passive lenses are cheaper and much, much more comfortable to wear, but the resolution with them are lower than active shutter.

Really, the only thing that will cause 3DTVs to catch fire is glasses-free TV, and I'm sure all the manufacturers are frantically trying to figure out how to do it. Problem is they've got a long way to go, based on the glasses-free demos at CES this year (every company's attempt blew chunks).

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want SOTC like yesterday. Ico will be a nice bonus. Is there a release date yet?

Ceno on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Gorgeous.

ICO and SotC will certainly help pass the time. I was kinda hoping for a release date to be announced this week.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They gave that creature almost a photographic quality.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Passive lenses are cheaper and much, much more comfortable to wear, but the resolution with them are lower than active shutter.

Really, the only thing that will cause 3DTVs to catch fire is glasses-free TV, and I'm sure all the manufacturers are frantically trying to figure out how to do it. Problem is they've got a long way to go, based on the glasses-free demos at CES this year (every company's attempt blew chunks).
    The answer is Denno Coil's AR Glasses.

Or just have everyone watch TV on a 3DS like device via a local reciever.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I moved under the assumption that it did and canceled my pre-order at GameStop to just get something else

The original placeholder date was April

If it were two goddamn weeks away I'm pretty sure we'd know about it, so yeah, I'm assuming fall or something

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Amazon has had it listed at Dec 31 for a while now, so it definitely got pushed back with an unknown date.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ContentContext on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, people thought this was coming out this year?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Citation: Shuman, Sid (2010-09-16). "Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection hits PS3 Spring 2011 with 3D". Sony Computer Entertainment of America. Retrieved 2010-09-16.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have to wonder about the future of Team ICO. We're moving into a 7th year since SotC, and they don't have the big sellers to afford such long development cycles.

Rakai on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seriously. I love their games, but this will be just like SotC coming out in the dying days of a console even thought it was started early. You just can't get by with development cycles that are longer than freaking console generations.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

DAMN DAMN DAMN

I was really looking forward to this too.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

DAMN DAMN DAMN

I was really looking forward to this too.

Good news! Now you have more time to look forward to it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well that is an optimistic look at bad news.

:lol:

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh well. The second half of this year is already overcrowded with games, I'm sure we'll see some others slipping into 2012 to avoid the rush.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Guess I can put off buying a PS3 again.
    Unless they release a Monster Hunter exclusive to the PS3...

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Wait, people thought this was coming out this year?

What's especially funny is I bought my PS3 years ago specifically in anticipation of this game.

:x

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have to wonder about the future of Team ICO. We're moving into a 7th year since SotC, and they don't have the big sellers to afford such long development cycles.

Agreed. They keep up this pace, and they'll be putting out a game every other console generation.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Agreed. They keep up this pace, and they'll be putting out a game every other console generation.

As long as Ueda & Co don't suffer from spectacular burnout (which wouldn't be a big shock - see: every director of a God of War game except for Stig - but who cares about Stig, he's the one we can thank for GoWIII's "ending"), I think we can expect the same quantity of quality for them.

Plus, if they do keep up this pace, they'll be keeping up the pace they always have, which is essentially one game per gen:

Ico was meant to be a PS1 game but they up-ported it to PS2 at the last minute (which is why it comes on a CD instead of a DVD disc).

SotC came out towards the end of the PS2's life cycle.

TLG: PS3. Eventually.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ShmittyShmitty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Flaws and all, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus were two of the best games on the PS2. The PS3 has enough exclusive games worth playing at this point that I plan on buying one. But I'm waiting until this specific game comes out before I actually get it. A delay isn't that bothersome, though. I want to play it, obviously, but you can't argue with delaying something to make sure it's done right.

Shmitty on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Chance wrote: »

As long as Ueda & Co don't suffer from spectacular burnout (which wouldn't be a big shock - see: every director of a God of War game except for Stig - but who cares about Stig, he's the one we can thank for GoWIII's "ending"), I think we can expect the same quantity of quality for them.

Plus, if they do keep up this pace, they'll be keeping up the pace they always have, which is essentially one game per gen:

Ico was meant to be a PS1 game but they up-ported it to PS2 at the last minute (which is why it comes on a CD instead of a DVD disc).

SotC came out towards the end of the PS2's life cycle.

TLG: PS3. Eventually.

ICO took 3-4 years to make. SotC came out under 4 years after that. The Last Guardian is taking over 6.

Rakai on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And really, this generation is the exception in lasting more than 5-6 years (it'll be 8-9 if MS and Sony have their way).

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I've no fears at all about their future. Their games have done well both critically and commercially (despite the blatantly wrong suggestions their games don't sell well) and they're a tiny team (Ueda is crazy fussy when hiring). Not going anywhere.

And yeah, anyone that thought Sony was going to launch Last Guardian against all the huge franchises coming out later this year (CoD, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Batman, etc) were kidding themselves. As soon as Uncharted 3 was announced, I knew they'd delay it to early 2012.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I didn't know they were separate SKUs.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Only in Japan.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6rjrBrqays

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And they're $50 a pop in Japan.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm honestly considering just importing the CE from japan anyway.

I don't need to understand the language for this. :P

Antihippy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So what comes with that special edition besides a slipcase?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    100 page booklet and dynamic themes.

AUD$82 apparently.

Fuck it, I'm getting that. Western releases probably will probably be in one case with crappy HD collection style cover anyway.
    I'll probably get the western release too.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm going to get the western release because not only is it both games for the price of one of the games imported, it will come with subtitles I can read. Because US audiences missed out on the unlockable translated ICO subtitles the first time around.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    100 page booklet and dynamic themes.

AUD$82 apparently.

Fuck it, I'm getting that. Western releases probably will probably be in one case with crappy HD collection style cover anyway.
    I'll probably get the western release too.

SCEE did some cool special edition for ICO and SotC, so I'm pretty sure they'll be doing something similar.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'll be getting both goddamnit!

Though if they made an announcement soon I'll wait like a good boy. :P

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That cover art is gorgeous. I'm worried I'll end up buying the perhaps more expensive Japanese versions just for that.

Muddy Water on