As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Thread: Gihgehls hates the title and I don't give a fuck.

• Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The two-fingered scrolling has been around since the powerbooks of old. The three-fingered thing is new though.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The two-fingered scrolling has been around since the powerbooks of old. The three-fingered thing is new though.

:winky:

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    think different

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Would it be terrible to do an upgrade install of leopard? I'm not sure I have the willpower to backup everything and erase and start from scratch right now...

If you do an archive one it's all basically still there.

The truth!

Just Archive and Install it. Old everything is still there and it ports relevant settings.

Satan. on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    So I'm seriously considering buying a Macbook real soon. Are there any rumored imminent upgrades about that I should wait for, or should I just go ahead and get one soonish?

Major updates are rumoured for June/July. Can you wait until then?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    So I'm seriously considering buying a Macbook real soon. Are there any rumored imminent upgrades about that I should wait for, or should I just go ahead and get one soonish?

Major updates are rumoured for June/July. Can you wait until then?

Yep. You're starting to get into "seriously consider holding off" territory.

Satan. on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Hmm. Yeah, I can wait that long.

Echo on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You always just buy a top of the line one now, and if the new ones interest you sell it of and pay the difference for a new one

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Any way to get Adium to not show chat tabs when there is only one active chat open?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    Any way to get Adium to not show chat tabs when there is only one active chat open?

Adium > Preferences > Advanced > Messages > Uncheck "Always show tab bar"

Kris on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    oh my god

thanks!

okay, how about:
    a keyboard shortcut to minimize all windows regardless of application? not hide, i like the genie graphic too much ;o

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    T show desktop there's F11, but I don't think there's one for minimise all windows.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2008
    why does wow rape ALL of the mouse key binds for shit like expose, then not fix it when you leave the game?

I understand disabling it while the game is running, but c'mon, people... this is some basic shit, and Blizzard is better than that.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ronzo wrote: »
    You always just buy a top of the line one now, and if the new ones interest you sell it of and pay the difference for a new one

Even if you did, you'd still pay a premium. You wouldn't be able to offload it for retail price in a few months. Used is used, unfortunately. Macs can hold their value pretty well: macofalltrades.com will give me $700 for a late-2006, 20" 2.16Ghz iMac with 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD and wireless KB/mouse. That's better than a PC of the same era and build would give me. The 'Mac mystery' was lessened a bit when they switched to Intel because it allowed for direct comparison of processors for the first time in an extremely long time. It's not as nice as it used to be in the PPC days but I honestly wouldn't buy a Mac of any shade right now given WWDC is coming up. The bump might not come at the show but within a month after, like we saw with the MBP bump this year.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    why does wow rape ALL of the mouse key binds for shit like expose, then not fix it when you leave the game?

I understand disabling it while the game is running, but c'mon, people... this is some basic shit, and Blizzard is better than that.

Mac gamers are 3rd-class citizens. Duh.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hey Satan, that's a nifty website. Thank you!

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've finally rid myself of the white mac keyboard, and I'm back on my favorite windows keyboard. I've already switched my modifiers so they feel "normal," but I want to bind some more mac-specific keys, primarily the volume control buttons.

I want to bind my Printscreen, Scroll Lock, and Pause/Break keys to volume down, volume up, and volume mute respectively. I can't figure out how to do it in the keyboard prefs pane, but perhaps there is a utility out there somewhere that can help me?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

Mac gamers are 3rd-class citizens. Duh.

It's a ridiculous bug which I really wish they had fixed by now. If they don't know how to fix it, they should turn it off and just let you use Expose.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I honestly wouldn't buy a Mac of any shade right now given WWDC is coming up.

The Macbook, we wants it now! :|

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I honestly wouldn't buy a Mac of any shade right now given WWDC is coming up.

The Macbook, we wants it now! :|

I know. Those fake mockups looked really good and didn't help matters. Wait, and your patience will be rewarded! In December I could have bought a MacBook and had about $800 left over. I decided to wait for Macworld and now I have an Air. I am extremely glad I waited.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Are there any solid rumors about what the upgrades will be?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Are there any solid rumors about what the upgrades will be?

Bit far out for that. Major bets are on a new form factor and has been since Macworld. People were a bit disappointed with the no major change at Macworld, so they've been clamoring for it ever since.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Any way to disable the "stacks" feature entirely, and have the directory just open in finder when clicked from the dock?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I've finally rid myself of the white mac keyboard, and I'm back on my favorite windows keyboard. I've already switched my modifiers so they feel "normal," but I want to bind some more mac-specific keys, primarily the volume control buttons.

I want to bind my Printscreen, Scroll Lock, and Pause/Break keys to volume down, volume up, and volume mute respectively. I can't figure out how to do it in the keyboard prefs pane, but perhaps there is a utility out there somewhere that can help me?

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Any way to disable the "stacks" feature entirely, and have the directory just open in finder when clicked from the dock?

I don't think so, but I did just discover you can now choose to display the folder icon rather than contents, and show the contents as an ugly-but-useful list rather than a pretty-but-useless-with-more-than-five-items fan... 8-)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Try dragging an alias to the drive down there.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I don't think so, but I did just discover you can now choose to display the folder icon rather than contents, and show the contents as an ugly-but-useful list rather than a pretty-but-useless-with-more-than-five-items fan... 8-)

Or the actually useful and good looking Grid...

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

You still can't see the filenames too easily though. A few badly-named files and it's useless.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited April 2008

You still can't see the filenames too easily though. A few badly-named files and it's useless.

Feh? Hold your cursor over them, lazy ass. See also: type the first few letters.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Feh? Hold your cursor over them, lazy ass. See also: type the first few letters.

You're right, but it's still not as clear as a list... :p

Not much in it though.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    Dinosaur DetectiveDinosaur Detective Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I'm trying to install this screen saver and I keep getting a "-5000 error". Anybody know what to do?

Dinosaur Detective on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A screen saver? What is this, 1995?
    I don't know the error you speak of.

gilrain on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You can actually find a list of the error codes in /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/MacErrors.h so you can just grep for the one you want. I also managed to find what is most likely to be the same list in the Apple Support Knowledge Base (linky). While it says it applies to OS9 and earlier, I'm pretty sure it's good for OSX too. There are links to more lists of error codes towards the bottom of the page.

Anyway, here's what I found

grep 5000 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/MacErrors.h
    afpAccessDenied = -5000, /* Insufficient access privileges for operation */

So maybe if you try a permissions repair or something. Do you have admin access to the machine? I'm not really sure about a fix, sorry.

Trentus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone else's macbook pro get crazy loud when it's charging thanks to the fans?

i coulda sworn this thing was about to take off

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Heh. I looked at memory prices to see if it was worth it to order 2 gigs in the Macbook straight from Apple or if I should just buy it separate.

Holy crap does Apple mark up memory. 4400 Swedebucks (~744 USD) for 2x2 gigs... that I can get for 700 SEK (~118 USD) elsewhere.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Heh. I looked at memory prices to see if it was worth it to order 2 gigs in the Macbook straight from Apple or if I should just buy it separate.

Holy crap does Apple mark up memory. 4400 Swedebucks (~744 USD) for 2x2 gigs... that I can get for 700 SEK (~118 USD) elsewhere.

Yeah, it's pretty universally accepted that you should buy RAM from... basically, anyone who isn't Apple. ;p

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, it's pretty universally accepted that you should buy RAM from... basically, anyone who isn't Apple. ;p

RAM and hard drives really

I know I've mentioned this a million times but it's incredibly easy to swap a hard drive in the macbook (not pro) and doesn't break warranty. And it's way fucking cheaper.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    DiggDigg Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hi.

I have an Intel MacBook running Tiger, with a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D.

I've been trying to play region 1 and region 2 DVDs on it (nothing illegal - I bought them all legitimately). I read that VLC plays DVDs from any region, but I don't think this applies to Intel Macs, since it doesn't seem to work for me, and I've read a few things to that effect.

The other solution I read involved removing the disc drive and tinkering with it somehow. I don't want to do that and I'm really hoping there's just some program I haven't found yet that'll do the job.

Has anyone dealt with this in the past? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Digg on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think that short of getting a less restrictive drive put in your player and replacing it's firmware with a modified version, there isn't a whole lot you can do. There doesn't seem to be any custom firmware available for the UJ-857x either.

Have you got a windows partition on your machine? If so, it might be worth trying to install DVD43, or DVD Region Killer or the like, and see how that goes. I'd give it a shot myself, but I don't have a foreign dvd to try.

Trentus on
  • Options
    Dinosaur DetectiveDinosaur Detective Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Trentus wrote: »
    You can actually find a list of the error codes in /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/MacErrors.h so you can just grep for the one you want. I also managed to find what is most likely to be the same list in the Apple Support Knowledge Base (linky). While it says it applies to OS9 and earlier, I'm pretty sure it's good for OSX too. There are links to more lists of error codes towards the bottom of the page.

Anyway, here's what I found

grep 5000 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/MacErrors.h
    afpAccessDenied = -5000, /* Insufficient access privileges for operation */

So maybe if you try a permissions repair or something. Do you have admin access to the machine? I'm not really sure about a fix, sorry.

Yeah I tried this and I'm still getting the same error. Thanks for trying though. I guess as long as the error only affects pointless screen savers I probably won't use anyway then I won't worry about it.

Dinosaur Detective on
This discussion has been closed.