As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Thread: Gihgehls hates the title and I don't give a fuck.

• Options
    DiggDigg Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Trentus wrote: »
    I think that short of getting a less restrictive drive put in your player and replacing it's firmware with a modified version, there isn't a whole lot you can do. There doesn't seem to be any custom firmware available for the UJ-857x either.

Have you got a windows partition on your machine? If so, it might be worth trying to install DVD43, or DVD Region Killer or the like, and see how that goes. I'd give it a shot myself, but I don't have a foreign dvd to try.

Thanks.
    I don't have a Windows partition. I don't think it would be worth setting one up just to deal with this.

Digg on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well I ordered some ram for my ancient G5 iMac, so will probably be back asking for help on how to fix things when I smash it to bits opening it up... Exciting times.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Okay, I caved.

I just ordered the 2.1GHz Macbook.

I could have waited a few months to see if there was a rumored upgrade or not, but I'm so sick and tired of my old laptop with its dead battery and being tethered to the power supply. I won't be needing massive hardware for a laptop anyway. I guess I'll stick some more RAM in it pretty quick, but apart from that the current specs serve my needs just fine.

Echo on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Okay, I caved.

I just ordered the 2.1GHz Macbook.

I could have waited a few months to see if there was a rumored upgrade or not, but I'm so sick and tired of my old laptop with its dead battery and being tethered to the power supply. I won't be needing massive hardware for a laptop anyway. I guess I'll stick some more RAM in it pretty quick, but apart from that the current specs serve my needs just fine.

Steve Jobs cackles in his lair.

Satan. on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    argh.gif

Echo on
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited April 2008
    so the new macbook pros aren't compatible with old mac games. dang it. I need a copy of windows xp.

Kevar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kevar wrote: »
    so the new macbook pros aren't compatible with old mac games. dang it. I need a copy of windows xp.

What games? Did Rosetta finally go away or something?

Satan. on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

I haven't been able to figure out how to get Starcraft's sound to work.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Rosetta has its limits. Things like emulators and games have a rough time running under it. Sometimes they don;t work at all for whatever reason.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

Err, I dunno, but just to let you know I did run SC on my MacBook just fine.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2008

What OS, both of you?

Satan. on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

What OS, both of you?

OS X, 10.4

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

What OS, both of you?

OS X, 10.4

I'm on 10.5 now, but when I was running SC it was 10.4. I used the special OS X installer and combed Blizzard's tech support page, but nothing worked. I haven't tried it on Leopard yet.

btw my MBP is over a year old (got it i think Dec 06); I don't know if there have been any changes to the lineup that would fix it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My Macbook's power brick is making a buzzing/hissing (Almost like it's sizzling, but no smoke or smells) sound while it's plugged in. Is that normal? Is still works but I'm worried.

Fraz on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was able to run Jedi Academy under 10.5.2 on my macbook pro (which I got around november last year). The performance was pretty good, but every now and then it would lock up and I'd have to reboot the the machine. I just put it down to Rosetta.

Trentus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fraz wrote: »
    My Macbook's power brick is making a buzzing/hissing (Almost like it's sizzling, but no smoke or smells) sound while it's plugged in. Is that normal? Is still works but I'm worried.

NO NO NO NO NO NO. NO.

This is a very, very bad sign. Get a new one ASAP and stop using that one if possible. I lost a computer and a drive enclosure to a buzzing power brick just last week. And when it fails, boy can it fail. The brick in question belonged to a RAID enclosure connected to my G5 tower by FireWire 800. When it died, there was a growing burning smell, then CRACK, smoke, the drives go dead. A few seconds later, the G5 had a burning smell, CRACK, more smoke, the screen goes dark. Dead power supply and who know dead what else, I haven't the time to fix it so it's in the corner now. It's a liquid cool G5 too, so it's out of warranty and servicing it myself is going to be a HUGE pain.

So in short, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I just attempted installing Vista Business via Bootcamp. Ran into a little problem though. Vista is spanning five CD's, and because I'm on a slot-loading iMac, I realized during the install that there is no way to eject each CD when it comes time to switch (the eject key on my alum keyboard doesn't work since the drivers aren't installed yet). D: Does anyone know if there's a way to eject a CD without software interaction (sort of like a pin hole on tray drives you can poke at and get the tray to pop out)? I tried looking on the computer and couldn't find anything. Halp!

(note: I would have chosen to burn vista as a DVD, but they only let you download the software while at school, and those computers do not have DVD burners)

Kris on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    So I just attempted installing Vista Business via Bootcamp. Ran into a little problem though. Vista is spanning five CD's, and because I'm on a slot-loading iMac, I realized during the install that there is no way to eject each CD when it comes time to switch (the eject key on my alum keyboard doesn't work since the drivers aren't installed yet). D: Does anyone know if there's a way to eject a CD without software interaction (sort of like a pin hole on tray drives you can poke at and get the tray to pop out)? I tried looking on the computer and couldn't find anything. Halp!

(note: I would have chosen to burn vista as a DVD, but they only let you download the software while at school, and those computers do not have DVD burners)

Academic alliance, eh? I just got XP instead because I know it better and I knew it was more easily supported. I'll have to get Vista and try it before my time in the program is up. This looks like a solution the problem.

http://num19.blogspot.com/2007/03/boot-camp-multi-cd-vista-install.html

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fraz wrote: »

NO NO NO NO NO NO. NO.

Yeah, I had a power supply I ran like that... melted through the power cable. I have no doubt it was an obscene fire hazard and I really shouldn't have done it.

Get a new one.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Academic alliance, eh? I just got XP instead because I know it better and I knew it was more easily supported. I'll have to get Vista and try it before my time in the program is up. This looks like a solution the problem.

http://num19.blogspot.com/2007/03/boot-camp-multi-cd-vista-install.html

Oh man, perfect! Thank you sir! Yeah, it's through the Academic Alliance. Apparently all the labs/classrooms are being moved to Vista over the summer, so I figure I should run it at home and get used to it, despite the problems. :P Thanks again!

Kris on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    What is this Academic Alliance thing everyone's doing?

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Certain post-secondary institutions are part of the Microsoft Academic Alliance, and Microsoft provides free software for students of certain programs at these institutions. Software such as XP/Vista (Pro/Business), Visual Studio, SQL Server, Visio, 2K3 Server, Exchange Server, etc.

Kris on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, my parents want to know my opinion on what they should get my sister for her college laptop. I am hesitant about recommending a mac, because I don't want her to go there and then have the professor require some program or something that macs can't do. She's taking anthropology, so I have no idea what that'll be like. I was pricing out some inspirons for her, but I'm hearing with vista you'd need at least 2 gb ram to run decent, so that puts that laptop around or even above the lower end macbook (which I know runs well with even 1 gb ram). What do I recommend?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Certain post-secondary institutions are part of the Microsoft Academic Alliance, and Microsoft provides free software for students of certain programs at these institutions. Software such as XP/Vista (Pro/Business), Visual Studio, SQL Server, Visio, 2K3 Server, Exchange Server, etc.

That's... that's really awesome. I wish I was in an eligible program, I'm sure I'm not.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So, my parents want to know my opinion on what they should get my sister for her college laptop. I am hesitant about recommending a mac, because I don't want her to go there and then have the professor require some program or something that macs can't do. She's taking anthropology, so I have no idea what that'll be like. I was pricing out some inspirons for her, but I'm hearing with vista you'd need at least 2 gb ram to run decent, so that puts that laptop around or even above the lower end macbook (which I know runs well with even 1 gb ram). What do I recommend?

The MacBook needs 2GB of RAM if you want it to have teh snappy. Buy that from Crucial, Newegg or some other 3rd party supplier, however.

Also, remember that XP/Vista can be run on a Mac alongside OS X. That's what I do when a professor requires some kind of Windows program that I absolutely have to use.

Satan. on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Trentus wrote: »
    I was able to run Jedi Academy under 10.5.2 on my macbook pro (which I got around november last year). The performance was pretty good, but every now and then it would lock up and I'd have to reboot the the machine. I just put it down to Rosetta.

But uh...I'm fairly certain that Jedi Academy has a universal patch, so you can avoid Rosetta all together with that one.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have a Macbook Pro that I got at $1700 (student discount) and this is the nicest laptop I've ever owned, previously having only PC laptops from IBM, Toshiba, and Dell. I would not recommend the regular Macbook because of its slow speed and lack of graphics card. When I've used them (on many occasions), the slowness got to me, though I may just be spoiled.

Running Windows with both Boot Camp / VMWare fusion is amazing. You can even boot VMWare fusion from your bootcamp partition, then run in something called "unity mode" where Windows apps and Mac OS apps run side-by-side, even to the point where Windows apps get dock icons and minimizing makes them go into the dock.

My only reservation was the back of a two-button trackpad. Once I got the machine and found that you could drop two fingers onto the trackpad and click for right click (even in Windows), I was sold. Doing that is actually faster than right clicking on regular two button trackpads on the PC laptops I've owned).

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think I am going to be scrapping my PC, and purchasing a copy of XP to run on my macbook. I need to pare things down anyway.

Now to begin the process of transferring all of my files over to my macbook.

Murphy on
  • Options
    Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just put the 8800GT upgrade in my 1st gen Mac Pro. Yay. Stacks with a large amount of items in them animate smoothly now. Pixelmator is quite snappy on large images now. Core image filters apply immediately. Took a little while with the 7300. The only real game I have installed on here is Urban Terror which seems to be hitting a FPS limit of 92.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

The MacBook needs 2GB of RAM if you want it to have teh snappy. Buy that from Crucial, Newegg or some other 3rd party supplier, however.

Also, remember that XP/Vista can be run on a Mac alongside OS X. That's what I do when a professor requires some kind of Windows program that I absolutely have to use.

Yeah, but that requires her to pick up XP/Vista and me to install that for her, and me to teach her how to switch, and it all gets kind of confusing for her then. She's not really a big computer person, and she's been with windows her whole life. I think she'd love the experience and look of a mac, I'm just hesitant because I have no idea if the professors will require a pc or something stupid. I don't want to fuck over my sister because I felt like being an elitist or something. Is a mac actually a good recommendation for someone in college nowadays?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    something like 40% of students are now purchasing macs, so yes, I'd say she'd be fine with one. And she can most assuredly get a free copy of xp/vista from the school's IT dept.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Epyon9283 wrote: »
    Just put the 8800GT upgrade in my 1st gen Mac Pro. Yay. Stacks with a large amount of items in them animate smoothly now. Pixelmator is quite snappy on large images now. Core image filters apply immediately. Took a little while with the 7300. The only real game I have installed on here is Urban Terror which seems to be hitting a FPS limit of 92.

You can replace video cards in Mac Pros? How difficult was it?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah, but that requires her to pick up XP/Vista and me to install that for her, and me to teach her how to switch, and it all gets kind of confusing for her then. She's not really a big computer person, and she's been with windows her whole life. I think she'd love the experience and look of a mac, I'm just hesitant because I have no idea if the professors will require a pc or something stupid. I don't want to fuck over my sister because I felt like being an elitist or something. Is a mac actually a good recommendation for someone in college nowadays?

It's honestly not that hard to install at all. Hell, even she can do it if she wants. Click a few buttons, follow a couple Apple-simple prompts. It honestly couldn't be easier.

A Mac is a great recommendation for college students. As I leave my fourth year of university, two+ I've worked for AV/IT here, I've noticed a huge increase in Apple-branded laptops. It's not out of the question for a professor to have to deal with an Apple laptop now-a-days. You won't be doing her a disservice by recommending a Mac.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    Epyon9283 wrote: »

You can replace video cards in Mac Pros? How difficult was it?

You can, but it has to be with certain cards that Apple approves (they control the drivers, remember). It's not really hard, I saw a couple get replaced the other day.

Satan. on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh, huh! Didn't know that.

alternatively: Mail, Preview, and other applications are always running for me, but I never use the command-tab menu to toggle over to them. Is there any way to remove specific applications from the command-tab selection menu? Applications that I like to tab over to like Firefox, iTunes, Adium, etc. are being cluttered by stuff like Preview, which I want to have always running but I never want to tab over to it specifically.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hey dudes, does anyone know of a nice and modern X Serv application that is better than what is included in OSX?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is probably a stupid question but...how do you uninstall stuff? I want to unistall stuff like xcode and if possible uninstall iMovie and iDVD without removing the rest of iLife.

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is probably a stupid question but...how do you uninstall stuff? I want to unistall stuff like xcode and if possible uninstall iMovie and iDVD without removing the rest of iLife.

Drag the application from the Applications folder into the Trash.

Job done.

If you're super anal about <100k preferency type files being left over, you'd need something like AppZapper to get them. I am not that anal, and I do love me some clean filesystems.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    xrolfxxrolfx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

Drag the application from the Applications folder into the Trash.

This really took some getting used to for me when I first got a mac. I was so panicky about files being left over somewhere and my HD clogging up. Then I remembered that this was exactly the type of ease of use I got a mac for in the first place.

xrolfx on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Son of a.

I just found out that the bookstore at my new grad school offers zero interest loans on all computers and software that just get billed to your bursar account.

Damn you Apple and NYU! Stop making me spend money! And come out with a 13" Pro already god damn you.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
This discussion has been closed.