As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Thread: Gihgehls hates the title and I don't give a fuck.

• Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    is there any way to have two-finger taps in firefox open the link in a new window? and put the context menu on some keypress+tap combo?

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    is there any way to have two-finger taps in firefox open the link in a new window? and put the context menu on some keypress+tap combo?

Well, the beauty of open source software is that, provided you have the skills, you can alter it and make it do whatever you want. The only downside is that you need to have the skills... I think something like this would require quite a bit of hacking to get working. It might be possible via an extension, but I don't know of any that can change key and mouse bindings like this.

Trentus on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So does anybody know of a program that lets you bind the volume controls to different keys?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ronen wrote: »
    Son of a.

I just found out that the bookstore at my new grad school offers zero interest loans on all computers and software that just get billed to your bursar account.

Damn you Apple and NYU! Stop making me spend money! And come out with a 13" Pro already god damn you.

June?

(It's not going to happen, Apple hate everyone.)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    So, my parents want to know my opinion on what they should get my sister for her college laptop. I am hesitant about recommending a mac, because I don't want her to go there and then have the professor require some program or something that macs can't do. She's taking anthropology, so I have no idea what that'll be like. I was pricing out some inspirons for her, but I'm hearing with vista you'd need at least 2 gb ram to run decent, so that puts that laptop around or even above the lower end macbook (which I know runs well with even 1 gb ram). What do I recommend?

The MacBook needs 2GB of RAM if you want it to have teh snappy. Buy that from Crucial, Newegg or some other 3rd party supplier, however.

Also, remember that XP/Vista can be run on a Mac alongside OS X. That's what I do when a professor requires some kind of Windows program that I absolutely have to use.

Yeah, but that requires her to pick up XP/Vista and me to install that for her, and me to teach her how to switch, and it all gets kind of confusing for her then. She's not really a big computer person, and she's been with windows her whole life. I think she'd love the experience and look of a mac, I'm just hesitant because I have no idea if the professors will require a pc or something stupid. I don't want to fuck over my sister because I felt like being an elitist or something. Is a mac actually a good recommendation for someone in college nowadays?

If you only want to pay for one OS, or don't think she can handle the admittedly really simple task of booting into Windows, then that's one thing--but honestly, I wouldn't worry about special Windows-only software anyhow. Anthropology shouldn't call for anything beyond Microsoft Office. If she does run up against some really bizarre requirement, she can probably go to a computer lab.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok, software question.
    Will Final Cut studio run on the basic macbook? I've been doing a lot of video editing lately and am looking to kick things up a notch. I've heard that not all of the programs support the intel graphics cards in the base macbooks.

Edit: Also, what are the primary differences between Final Cut Pro, and Final Cut Express?

Sceptre on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Ok, software question.
    Will Final Cut studio run on the basic macbook? I've been doing a lot of video editing lately and am looking to kick things up a notch. I've heard that not all of the programs support the intel graphics cards in the base macbooks.

Edit: Also, what are the primary differences between Final Cut Pro, and Final Cut Express?

Yes, it will run but it's not going to be a monster. I would suggest upping it to a Pro if you're serious about this. I wouldn't think using Final Cut on a MacBook is kicking things up a notch by any means. As for what is missing, someone in the field would better answer the question but I think Wiki will suffice here:
    Final Cut Express's interface is identical to that of Final Cut Pro; however, it lacks some of the film-specific features. For example, it does not include Cinema Tools and it does not have a multi-cam editing feature. Most significantly, it lacks a batch capture facility and a timecode view. The program can perform 32 undo operations, while Final Cut Pro can do 99.

Satan. on
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Trentus wrote: »

Well, the beauty of open source software is that, provided you have the skills, you can alter it and make it do whatever you want. The only downside is that you need to have the skills... I think something like this would require quite a bit of hacking to get working. It might be possible via an extension, but I don't know of any that can change key and mouse bindings like this.

Yes, I would prefer to not have two-finger clicks replaced with mouse-wheel clicks system-wide. Which means changing key bindings in the OS would be out. Is there anyone that could at least point me in the right direction of finding out what I'd have to edit in Firefox to achieve this?

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Guys, can anyone tell me what the fuck is wrong with my iTunes? When I try to resize the window, it sizes it up in the most stupid way possible, from the top and bottom. I can't just pull it to the bottom.

And now, whenever I press the green "miniplayer" button it spawns the miniplayer in the CENTER of the screen, instead of the last position of the player. WHY and HOW CAN I STOP THIS

edit: that was strange, but I guess I fixed it by quitting and restarting iTunes. Strange.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    hey dudes, does anyone know of a nice and modern X Serv application that is better than what is included in OSX?

anybody? :|

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hey dudes, does anyone know of a nice and modern X Serv application that is better than what is included in OSX?

Sorry, I'm a little confused as to what you want... do you mean a replacement for X11?

Trentus on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Woooh Macbook arrived happy days are here I'm totally farting rainbows and puppies

Echo on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Woooh Macbook arrived happy days are here I'm totally farting rainbows and puppies

The best part? That smell. You know the one. Yeeeeahhh....

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Steve Jobs will be by shortly for his blowjob

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I shall brush my teeth in anticipation of his arrival.

Haven't used OSX in nearly three years, so I have some catching up to do.

Echo on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

That smell come from only a few precious things. New mac, new game console, new pack of Magic cards...

Thank god I don't play Magic anymore, but... damn, do I miss the smell.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

That smell come from only a few precious things. New mac, new game console, new pack of Magic cards...

Thank god I don't play Magic anymore, but... damn, do I miss the smell.

I get the smell from the Dell computers I just bought for my office. After going through a totally retarded, nearly six month long debacle with HP, the smell that emanates from a new Dell after turning it on for the first time is intoxicating.

The aroma of Chinese factory wafting from the insides as the heatsink expunges the stale air of Orient... sensual.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My install of XP Pro blue screens LOTS.

Anyone know any possible issues? (I'm running an entry level last generation mac book pro)

noobert on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So, what are the must-have apps? Adium was the first thing I grabbed.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Trentus wrote: »

Sorry, I'm a little confused as to what you want... do you mean a replacement for X11?

ya, so on the windows side you can use say x-manager or x-win32, anything decent on the Mac side?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

adium, transmission, simplyRAR, stepmania (!!!!) for the ultimate in laptop fun

i wanted to recommend a long old list of stuff but a quick look at my dock shows i'm mostly using what comes standard--itunes, mail, firefox, etc. i don't mean to say firefox comes standard, but y'know how it is.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    typhoontyphoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The X server that comes with Leopard sucks, but they've been releasing much less sucky versions online for a while, if that helps.

typhoon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    typhoon wrote: »
    The X server that comes with Leopard sucks, but they've been releasing much less sucky versions online for a while, if that helps.

aawesome

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I shall brush my teeth in anticipation of his arrival.

Haven't used OSX in nearly three years, so I have some catching up to do.

It's a lot more awesome since you've used it last. Spotlight is actually functional in Leopard, as opposed to the icon mocking you in Tiger.

--

Here are some apps I use a whole lot.

Adium: the IM client for OS X. If it doesn't connect to it, you probably don't need it.
    Colloquy: OK, fine. IRC is something Adium doesn't do (and the Adium devs for some reason have declared jihad on IRC and refuse to add it) and this does it (extremely!) simply for free.
    Cyberduck: FTP, SFTP, Amazon S3, WebDAV (iDisk) client. Free. I don't know what possesses people to shell out money for a fucking FTP client on OS X all the damn time.
    VLC: One-stop shop media player. A lot of folks like Perian, which allows QuickTime to play a ton of different codecs. Some formats (720p MKV, for example) have poor support here. VLC handles it all perfectly.
    Transmission: Easy, simple BitTorrent client. For legal Linux ISOs. RIGHT?!
    AppDelete: Freeware tool to delete applications from your system. You could just drag the app to the Trash, but this will look for other files that aren't wiped out by that action. Very handy when you're first starting out and don't want to leave config files everywhere.
    iWork: I love the iWork programs and once iWork '08 came out, I didn't look back to Office. Your mileage may vary depending on the use you have for office products.
    Twitterrific: Twitter client, far superior to Twhirl or whatever the hell the Adobe Air client is.
    Caffeine: When activated, this little menu bar item won't let your display go to sleep / go dim after idle use. Great for long Flash videos (YouTubes, etc.)
    Disco: Not entirely a 'must have' but it's nice to burn DVD images, random files. HORRIBLE for audio burning, but that's why you have iTunes.
    Handbrake: Convert DVDs (or DVD images) to some other kind of format, such as MP4 x264 etc.
    Pixelmator: Lightweight Photoshop replacement. I'm sure there are things that Photoshop does that Pixelmator doesn't, but 95% of users aren't going to miss Photoshop.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh, Caffeine is just what I was looking for. The default power management felt too zealous with the dimming.

Echo on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan listed most of the good stuff, but left out

Quicksilver!!!!!

It should just come preinstalled. I hate using a mac without it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Satan listed most of the good stuff, but left out

Quicksilver!!!!!

It should just come preinstalled. I hate using a mac without it.

I left it out to see how quickly someone would call me on it.

I don't use QuickSilver because honestly, I don't need to shave milliseconds off an action. I'm not that anal about using a damn computer.

Satan. on
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    New iMac next week?

Oh yes, please! I've waited SO LONG for this. Please be true!

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh, Caffeine is just what I was looking for. The default power management felt too zealous with the dimming.

It's way, way too zealous. I hate it. No way to adjust it, either.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    H*R wrote: »
    New iMac next week?

Oh yes, please! I've waited SO LONG for this. Please be true!

Ah yes, geeksugar. A bastion of truthful Apple rumors.

Satan. on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Minor speed upgrades are hardly a big deal anyway, especially with Intel processors now. Maybe back in the day when they had to beat up IBM to get them to cough up something faster (such is my understanding).

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well Gizmodo gives them some cred, which is something in my book. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before MacRumors and AppleInsider give it a blog post.

EDIT: And here it is.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

In addition to what others mentioned...

Alarm Clock wakes my ass up in the morning.
    SmartSleep Preference Pane allows you to override the default "write all RAM to disk every time lid closes" behavior, making for speedy sleeping
    Free Flickr Exporter for iPhoto, because iPhoto is cool and all but I photos are for sharing on the web
    Tivo Dashboard widget lets me pull the HD content off of my networked Tivo and take it on the road
    xPad is where I take notes on stuff, I like it better than Stickies

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ya, so on the windows side you can use say x-manager or x-win32, anything decent on the Mac side?

As typhoon mentioned, just grab the latest version of X11 from http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz . It fixes some problems with the version bundled with Leopard (such as the root window never displaying).

Once it's installed, just use it like any other X server.

Is there anything special you want to do? XDMCP? Connection management?

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Any free little app to display iTunes track information in the menu bar? Static, no-scrolling, 'cause that's distracting. I tried out You Control: Tunes, but everything about that program screamed violation of privacy and buggy software, so I dumped it.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's not exactly what you want, but "GimmeSomeTune" works well. It's worth a look.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ipod_itunes/gimmesometune.html

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    So is this also the iPhone thread? Does Mac = Apple or does it just mean the computers? I'm not sure I'm hip enough to be here. Anyway...

Can you activate 2 iPhones on the same iTunes account?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish apple would release a tablet...

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    you know what would be nifty

if iTunes had a "smart shuffle" feature. like, right now it's kinda late, and i just want to listen to ambient kinda dub "beats" or something, and like so far i've gotten lucky but i would be totally sad if loud music came on that didn't fit the mood. a shuffle that matched your current music by style would be cool

like pandora, but for the music i have already

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So is this also the iPhone thread? Does Mac = Apple or does it just mean the computers? I'm not sure I'm hip enough to be here. Anyway...

Macs = Apple computer brands.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.