As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Thread: Gihgehls hates the title and I don't give a fuck.

• Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    So is this also the iPhone thread? Does Mac = Apple or does it just mean the computers? I'm not sure I'm hip enough to be here. Anyway...

Macs = Apple computer brands.

I think he's asking whether iPhone-related questions are OK in here.

My guess: if it's related to syncing it to iTunes or something like that, it's probably relevant... if it's about phone-related features, then it's got nothing to do with Macs.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    So. iChat is telling me I don't have any camera in the computer.

Echo on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's no good. Take it to the store and demand one that isn't broken

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    xrolfxxrolfx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Marlor wrote: »
    So is this also the iPhone thread? Does Mac = Apple or does it just mean the computers? I'm not sure I'm hip enough to be here. Anyway...

Macs = Apple computer brands.

I think he's asking whether iPhone-related questions are OK in here.

My guess: if it's related to syncing it to iTunes or something like that, it's probably relevant... if it's about phone-related features, then it's got nothing to do with Macs.

Meh, I asked about a cover for my iPhone. I think as long as it doesn't entirely derail the thread, it's okay, since there's no big iPhone thread.

xrolfx on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ah. I read it as if you asked what the definition of a Mac was. My bad. :P

The camera worked when it wanted to take my pic for the account profile. Today? No worky.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thar we go. Did a SMC restore and it works again.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    edit: ninja fix

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    you know what would be nifty

if iTunes had a "smart shuffle" feature. like, right now it's kinda late, and i just want to listen to ambient kinda dub "beats" or something, and like so far i've gotten lucky but i would be totally sad if loud music came on that didn't fit the mood. a shuffle that matched your current music by style would be cool

like pandora, but for the music i have already

So make a playlist that only contains ambient music and just play that one on shuffle? You can even do it automatically with a smart playlist: just properly tag your genres, create a smart playlist to include all songs of that genre and then whenever you add new stuff to iTunes (and any subsequent iPods) it'll add it to the playlist automatically.

Edit: So in a way, iTunes does have what you're looking for. They're called Smart Playlists. Learn to love them.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    yeah. If you get all OCD on your music like I am, labeling and rating stuff, smart playlists are fucking awesome. It takes some time if you have a large library, but it only takes a minute or two to do it to a new cd you import.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Right now I'm in a "must fix album art for everything" binge. I spend 10 minutes every now and then to grab covers for a few albums that miss them.

Hooray, OCD! :^:

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think I spent 4 hours each day on three consecutive work days to do mine. It was pretty fantastic.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Right now I'm in a "must fix album art for everything" binge. I spend 10 minutes every now and then to grab covers for a few albums that miss them.

Hooray, OCD! :^:

Some people say it's not worth it.

I say fuck those people, I want my album art.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fuck them, I want my iPod to look awesome.

Echo on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And also the rad Album Artwork Screensaver.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    So does anybody know of a program that lets you bind the volume controls to different keys?

So I'm SOL it seems?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cmd-a

right click

get album art

<3

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So does anybody know of a program that lets you bind the volume controls to different keys?

So I'm SOL it seems?

Does this do what you want?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14352/spark

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    is everyone happy with mail.app

or should I switch to thunderbird?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Mail.app all the way here, but the decision will probably be based on which one you like the look of better.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If there was a way I could use Mail.app at work instead of Entourage, I'd be all over it.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fristle wrote: »

So I'm SOL it seems?

Does this do what you want?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14352/spark

It looks like it will, thank you so much! Five internets to you.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    how about a simple sound recorder? soundrec32.exe or something for mac, basically. garageband takes waaay to long to start up just to use the 'record' function.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    RWangsRWangs Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    how about a simple sound recorder? soundrec32.exe or something for mac, basically. garageband takes waaay to long to start up just to use the 'record' function.

Quicktime Pro does that, but I'm not sure if it's an available feature for basic Quicktime. Look it up, should be an option in the File menu.

RWangs on
    PS3 tag/ MGO ID : Terasozin
    41.png
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008

I tried Thunderbird and ran away screaming for my mother. Mail.app for me, along with iCal.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I just use Audacity. It's pretty powerful, but easy enough to use for simple stuff.

Marlor on
  • Options
    Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Mail.app emails are searchable via spotlight so I'm sticking with it. That and it integrates with the system address book.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Epyon9283 wrote: »

Mail.app emails are searchable via spotlight so I'm sticking with it. That and it integrates with the system address book.

Seriously. If nothing else, the integration between all of OS X's built in programs is enough to make you use them.

Satan. on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

I tried Thunderbird and ran away screaming for my mother. Mail.app for me, along with iCal.

I've been thinking of trying out Mail.app at home with my Gmail account, seeing as how you can use IMAP now. I've never really understood/learned what IMAP was, but apparently it will completely sync my online Gmail with Mail.app, and vice versa. That sounds pretty damn cool, so I'm gonna invest some time learning about setting it up, now that school is over for the semester.

Oh, and I would so use iCal if there were a way to sync it with Google Calender. Yeah, I'm a google whore and an apple whore. :P

Kris on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kris wrote: »

I've been thinking of trying out Mail.app at home with my Gmail account, seeing as how you can use IMAP now. I've never really understood/learned what IMAP was, but apparently it will completely sync my online Gmail with Mail.app, and vice versa. That sounds pretty damn cool, so I'm gonna invest some time learning about setting it up, now that school is over for the semester.

Oh, and I would so use iCal if there were a way to sync it with Google Calender. Yeah, I'm a google whore and an apple whore. :P

There isn't much time to invest, really. Add the account in Mail.app. IMAP leaves a copy of the message on the server -- what you see in your Inbox in Mail.app is what you see in your Inbox at mail.google.com.

Unless you desperately need Google Calendar for something (meeting schedule is based there, whatever) ... and even then, you don't. You can subscribe to calendars that are in Google Calendar in iCal and vice versa. Can't edit them, though. Programs exist to do that, but they cost $fucking insane for what they do.

Satan. on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not sure if I should create a new topic but what are some essential mac apps

So far I have

NetNewsWire for rss feeds
    Adium
    VLC
    TextMate
    Toast (cd/dvd burning)
    Transmit for S/FTP
    LittleSnitch

I would like an app that is just like DVD shrink if such a thing exists.
    Also an IRC client that is as close to mIRC as possible.
    Also, though I can get dreamweaver for a very reasonable price I would prefer a free or inexpensive syntax highlighting editor that is a little more "robust" than TextMate.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Not sure if I should create a new topic but what are some essential mac apps

Look like 30ish posts back

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

You already have toast, so all you need is something to shrink the video files.

Handbrake should do the job (I think).

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Handbrake is for converting DVD images to a different format, not stripping it down and dumping it as a DVD again.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Unless you desperately need Google Calendar for something (meeting schedule is based there, whatever) ... and even then, you don't. You can subscribe to calendars that are in Google Calendar in iCal and vice versa. Can't edit them, though. Programs exist to do that, but they cost $fucking insane for what they do.

It's not that I desperately need to use Google Calendar. I just desperately need to use an internet-based calendar, since I don't have a laptop, and need to access my calendars from home and school. If the programs that do exist for syncing google with ical cost $texas, then that gives me an idea. I've been looking for a summer project to keep me busy, but have been having trouble thinking of an idea. I could try my hand at this. Hmm...

Changing gears, I've got a question for you resident Apple Genius'. I've just installed Vista Business via bootcamp. I like to listen to music while I code, and since my music is all in my OS X iTunes folder (and I usually work in Visual Studio for school stuff) I have no music. Is there a way I can create a "share" of sorts on my iTunes folder, and connect to it from within Vista?

Kris on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kris wrote: »

It's not that I desperately need to use Google Calendar. I just desperately need to use an internet-based calendar, since I don't have a laptop, and need to access my calendars from home and school. If the programs that do exist for syncing google with ical cost $texas, then that gives me an idea. I've been looking for a summer project to keep me busy, but have been having trouble thinking of an idea. I could try my hand at this. Hmm...

Changing gears, I've got a question for you resident Apple Genius'. I've just installed Vista Business via bootcamp. I like to listen to music while I code, and since my music is all in my OS X iTunes folder (and I usually work in Visual Studio for school stuff) I have no music. Is there a way I can create a "share" of sorts on my iTunes folder, and connect to it from within Vista?

You'd have to get Vista to recognize HFS+ drives. MacDrive supposedly does the job, but $50 is a bit steep for me. I tried HFSExplorer once on a friend's computer but it didn't work, nor do I believe that would be the right functionality for you.

EDIT: In case anyone bleeds money, Spanning Sync is the ridiculous product I'm talking about. $25/annually or $65/one time just seems way, way too costly for what it does.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hmm. Guess I'll just keep Google searching when I find some time this weekend. Fingers crossed there is some free way to go about it. :P

Kris on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Handbrake is for converting DVD images to a different format, not stripping it down and dumping it as a DVD again.

Yeah, I just checked and it doesn't support dumping to a VIDEO_TS structure. I thought it did.

It looks like Toast (or Popcorn) will actually do the job, you just have to rip the DVD with MacTheRipper first.

DVD2One looks like a more streamlined way of doing the same thing.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah, I just checked and it doesn't support dumping to a VIDEO_TS structure. I thought it did.

It looks like Toast (or Popcorn) will actually do the job, you just have to rip the DVD with MacTheRipper first.

DVD2One looks like a more streamlined way of doing the same thing.

I still can't believe no one has made a better ripper yet. The publicly available MacTheRipper is PowerPC-based. There is an Intel one but the developers went into an extremely shady donationware mode. They won't tell you how much you should donate, only that "$50 should be enough". I use DVD Decrypter in WinXP/Parallels for my DVD ripping needs.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I still can't believe no one has made a better ripper yet. The publicly available MacTheRipper is PowerPC-based. There is an Intel one but the developers went into an extremely shady donationware mode. They won't tell you how much you should donate, only that "$50 should be enough". I use DVD Decrypter in WinXP/Parallels for my DVD ripping needs.

Yep. I rarely rip DVDs, but when I do it, it's in Parallels (or on my desktop PC).

This really is one area where Mac support is pretty awful. Which is strange because there are a bunch of Linux command-line tools to do the job that could be easily ported, then have a quick GUI chucked on top.

Marlor on
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also an IRC client that is as close to mIRC as possible.

If you must use something more mIRC-like you'll need to shell out for either Snak or Ircle. Neither of them are very modern nor see many updates anymore. As far as I'm concerned Ircle is abandonware anymore. Neither of them are worth the money unfortunately and haven't been for a number of years. Back in the day these were decent apps but they've long since passed their prime.

Use Colloquy and love it with all of your heart. It neither looks nor acts like mIRC but there's no Mac IRC clients that I know of that do. What's awesome about Colloquy is it is very configurable and has a lot of really useful plug-ins. It's interface looks and acts more like iChat/Adium than mIRC which will take a little getting used to. Once you get past the initial interface hump it's very intuitive.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.