Options

[WoW] UI stands for "User Interface," not "u idiot"

• Options
    theDewMongertheDewMonger regular
    edited April 2008
    So I was wondering... was the Patch to fix the combat log part of the April Fools' as well?

theDewMonger on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Is it possible to get an addon which will give all marked mobs their own health bar on screen (As if they were a party member) so that switching between them while tanking is easier? This would be sooo much nicer then having to press alt and hope during pulls where the mobs I'm tanking and the CC'd mobs are close to one another...
    You mean... Nameplates? Those are built-in to the default UI. The keybinding is V by default (or Shift-V or Ctrl-V, one of those bindings is for "Show Enemy Nameplates"). You can always find the "Show Player/Enemy Nameplates" listing in the keybindings menu.

If you want an addon to change the skin, Aloft is a functional one.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Makershot wrote: »
    Is it possible to get an addon which will give all marked mobs their own health bar on screen (As if they were a party member) so that switching between them while tanking is easier? This would be sooo much nicer then having to press alt and hope during pulls where the mobs I'm tanking and the CC'd mobs are close to one another...
    You mean... Nameplates? Those are built-in to the default UI. The keybinding is V by default (or Shift-V or Ctrl-V, one of those bindings is for "Show Enemy Nameplates"). You can always find the "Show Player/Enemy Nameplates" listing in the keybindings menu.

I think he's more thinking about a list that automatically adds marked mobs, and clicking on one of them in the list automatically targets that mob. It would let you avoid the problems with camera angles and manually selecting crap with your cursor. Something like this would be really awesome, similar to some of those arena addons, but of course it might not be possible, what with all of Blizzards rules on targetting in the game.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I think he's more thinking about a list that automatically adds marked mobs, and clicking on one of them in the list automatically targets that mob. It would let you avoid the problems with camera angles and manually selecting crap with your cursor. Something like this would be really awesome, similar to some of those arena addons, but of course it might not be possible, what with all of Blizzards rules on targetting in the game.
    This does sound awesome.

815165 on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, I want a list of marked mobs as apposed to nameplates. Some places have pulls that you have to do from really awkward angles and not having to worry about camera angles and mobs being close together would be really useful.

Tav on
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This would require you to be able to identify a target via their mark which would mean automatic target selection based on the symbol. Functionality like that could make for addons that add the kill list to your combat macros and make it so you can only attack the targets in sequence without even having to target the next one down the list.

MACRO
    /cast [target={skull}.notdead] ATTACKSPELL; [target={bluesquare}.notdead] ATTACKSPELL; etcetera.

You could even add CC to the mix with something like [target={condom}.notdead] CCSPELL at the beginning of the macro.

narv107 on
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yeah, it's something I've wished for for a long while.

Saeris, any idea if something like that is implementable? Since it hasn't been done yet, I'm guessing probably not.

I don't arena, but aren't there addons that add this functionality for arena?

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So Im making a new UI for my Druid, few questions:

What other good unitframe mods are there apart from ag_uf?
    Is there an addon that will let me move blizzard's unitframes but otherwise not change them?
    Is there a way to make it so you can zoom out farther than the max in the interface menu?
    What are people's prefered XP/levelling mods?
    Are there (m)any good alternatives to ElkBuffBars?

815165 on
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What is a good interface action bar mod? I have been trying to find one since patch 2.4 and recently coming back im reupdating mods and stuff. I just got xperl which is amazng, but it doesnt let me mess with action bars.

Also good hunter or warrior mods would be helpful.

Here is what I run so far.

Titan Panel
    Atlas
    Atlas loot
    Cartographer
    TrapBar
    Hunter Helper
    X-Perl Unit Frams
    Duckiebank (for guild)

Any help be useful.

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I've always loved Bartender3. As for Warrior specific mods I never used any, for Hunters AmmoFu and Fizzwidget's Feed-O-Matic are all I used.

edit: there's probably a Titan equivalent for AmmoFu.

815165 on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    I've always loved Bartender3. As for Warrior specific mods I never used any, for Hunters AmmoFu and Fizzwidget's Feed-O-Matic are all I used.

edit: there's probably a Titan equivalent for AmmoFu.

I believe Titan has an ammo tracker as a pack in. Did back when I downloaded it in 1.4 at least.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    So Im making a new UI for my Druid, few questions:

What other good unitframe mods are there apart from ag_uf?
    xPerl, PerlClassic, Pitbull, Nurfed (though that one is a package, adding unitframes and the like)
    Is there an addon that will let me move blizzard's unitframes but otherwise not change them?
    Let's see... MoveAnything! will do this, if it's still being updated. Visor/Visor2 as well, but I believe they've become outdated. And MobileFrames, but that one is part of the CosmosUI package--you can download the zip and extract the particular addon (I believe it has a dependancy, as well).
    Is there a way to make it so you can zoom out farther than the max in the interface menu?
    ImprovedCamera 2.4
    What are people's prefered XP/levelling mods?
    I use Fubar_FuXPFu, but that's fairly useless without Fubar. To aid questing, many people use a combination of Cartographer's Quest Marker addon and Lightheaded, which will cull Wowhead.com for info related to your current quest.
    Are there (m)any good alternatives to ElkBuffBars?
    I'm pretty sure EBB is the hottest shit since disposable prophylactics, as the vast majority of UI screenshots that I've seen use it. Others exists, though, but names escape me.

Most of these addons can be found at Wowinterface.com or Curse.com.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you can, building up your entire UI from elements from wowace.com is great, because on patch days, you just just open the autoupdater, autoupdate, and are set. I used to hate patch days so much UI wise, now it's merely annoying 1 or 2 don't work straight away (Omen is still being dick at the moment for instance)

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    SanderJK wrote: »
    If you can, building up your entire UI from elements from wowace.com is great, because on patch days, you just just open the autoupdater, autoupdate, and are set. I used to hate patch days so much UI wise, now it's merely annoying 1 or 2 don't work straight away (Omen is still being dick at the moment for instance)
    Try resizing the window.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Try resizing the window.

The problems are mainly it not displaying threat accurately (lol pulling aggro on brutallus) and it's threat warning flash getting stuck.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    narv107 wrote: »
    This would require you to be able to identify a target via their mark which would mean automatic target selection based on the symbol. Functionality like that could make for addons that add the kill list to your combat macros and make it so you can only attack the targets in sequence without even having to target the next one down the list.

MACRO
    /cast [target={skull}.notdead] ATTACKSPELL; [target={bluesquare}.notdead] ATTACKSPELL; etcetera.

You could even add CC to the mix with something like [target={condom}.notdead] CCSPELL at the beginning of the macro.
    Having macro targetting based on icons would mean icons would have to become protected and could not be altered when in combat so the raid leader can't just switch skull to the new dps target and have everyone keep hitting the same button.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Laonar wrote: »
    What is a good interface action bar mod? I have been trying to find one since patch 2.4 and recently coming back im reupdating mods and stuff. I just got xperl which is amazng, but it doesnt let me mess with action bars.

Also good hunter or warrior mods would be helpful.

Here is what I run so far.

Titan Panel
    Atlas
    Atlas loot
    Cartographer
    TrapBar
    Hunter Helper
    X-Perl Unit Frams
    Duckiebank (for guild)

Any help be useful.

A lot of people will probably say this:

Pitbull is way more customizable than XPerl. This is very true, but it also runs about 6 times heavier than XPerl. If you are happy with Perl stick with it and you won't know what you're missing. Its really not important if youre not an eyecandy whore like me.

Fubar is the new Titan Panel. Has lots and lots of mods, especially on the Ace site. And I believe Titan Panel isn't being updated anymore. I've never tried Titan, but Fubar seems to be the big show right now.

I use Bongos2 for my action bars. It has some limitations, but none that have ever gotten in my way. And its modular, so you can use the mods you want. (Like action bars, but leave the minimap alone). It also has a new minimap mod that is really great, and includes all the popular shaped skins like corners and squares. I really like the easy keybinding function it has.

You'll probably want a threat meter, like KTM or Omen (neither of which really rang my bell).

There are several sites (IncGamers, WOWInterface, Curse.com) that have mods sorted by class, so you can browse those and look for whats being downloaded the most.

theDewMonger on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pitbull never shows up on my 3 highest memory using addons (always Lightheaded (since the patch), Autobar, which I should dump, and like Recap when I'm using that). Is it really that bloated?

Where are some screenshots of Perl?

Bigity on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, Lightheaded since the patch takes up like 8,000 MB of memory, so your curve is skewed.

My worst ones are that and WIM, which I have to remember to clean out occasionally to avoid bloating.

riz on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Worst ones are 'that' as in Pitbull? I only use it for parties and player/pet/target/tot frames, not for raids. I also turn off several of the modules for it.

Bigity on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No I meant Lightheaded. Pitbull and Bartender are like 3-4.

riz on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think Lighthead is wonky now because instead of being broke down into the faction and level ranges like before, that it's loading up all quest data it has.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I admit, Pitbull is running at about half of what it used to since 2.4. It no longer beats out cartographer on my memory usage. It used to run at 3.6m for me, which is a strain on my ghetto fabulous ride.

theDewMonger on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    How do I see how much memory Addons are using? I know there is some option in the default UI, but I've long since gotten rid of that.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It depends on what addons you have. Look for a 'statistics' or 'stats' bar in your action bar modifier. Or, if you have fubar, you can get a plugin to monitor stats. Titan panel probably has them too. Usually it is bundled with whatever displayes your FPS and latency.

theDewMonger on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    /script UpdateAddOnMemoryUsage() local s={} for i=1,GetNumAddOns() do s=("%04d KB mem %-25s"):format(GetAddOnMemoryUsage(i),GetAddOnInfo(i)) end table.sort(s) for i,n in ipairs(s) do DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(n) end

Use that to see addon memory usage, sorted by usage.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks Saeris.

Lightheaded really has fucked up since the patch. Is there a lightweight alternative?

Tav on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks Saeris.

Lightheaded really has fucked up since the patch. Is there a lightweight alternative?
    As far I know it's one of a kind.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I use a very light alternative called Alt+Tab Mozilla

theDewMonger on
  • Options
    DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A non-lightweight mod that's close is questhelper. Shows you where to go with your map and things, as opposed to wowhead comments.

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    is there any way to design a macro that will first check to see if Crusader Aura is active, and if its not, cast it, then summon my flying or land mount, and if it is active, just do the mount?

at the moment i have a macro that just recasts crusader aura which causes it to be cancelled if its already active which makes a lot of extra work and defeats the purpose of having a macro

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Try /cast !Crusader Aura. Dunno if that'll work with auras but it's worth a try.

Opty on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    that worked btw

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I've just uploaded a couple new addons that I've had finished for quite some time but never bothered to upload before. They are:

InspectDetails: Adds guild and title information to the inspect window.
    InspectKey: Provides a keybinding to toggle the inspect window, since it's oddly absent from the default UI.
    Inspectre: Allows you to keep inspecting your target even after you deselect them.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is there a mod that monitors DPS and displays it like Fubar_DPS used to? Currently that mod is broken.

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm currently using Bongos2 for my action bars, which I am very happy with so far. But with all the new dailies, I would really like something that remembers where my items/actions are placed in my bars with each profile, instead of just the orientation of the bar. Can anyone tell me if any of the other available action bar mods do this? The more similar to bongos the better, if possible.

theDewMonger on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    OK, did I format this properly?:

/script [button:2] HideFriendNameplates(); ShowFriendNameplates()

Basically I want a macro that will turn Friendly names on and off...

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Isn't there already a keybinding for that?

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Saeris wrote: »
    Isn't there already a keybinding for that?

Not that I could ever find... Unless they added one after 2.4. I'll have to look when I get home... O.O

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yes there is. Its been there since I started playing. I think the default is shift ctrl or alt v. As the default for toggle all name plates is just v. Its in among the targeting functions.

theDewMonger on
This discussion has been closed.