Options

[WoW] UI stands for "User Interface," not "u idiot"

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This addon loads with Blizzard_CombatLog and provides a greatly improved configuration screen
    for the combat log's selective event reception capabilities. It removes the first two tabs ("Message
    Sources" and "Message Types") and replaces them with an extensive dropdown menu system
    organized in a way which matches the underlying APIs: a series of filters, each comprised of three
    components (a list of events to monitor, and two sets of special identifier flags, one for the source
    of the event and one for the destination). If an incoming combat event matches ANY of the filters,
    then the combat event is considered valid for printing to the combat log. The default UI implements
    only two of these filters, and does not allow proper customization of them (clumping events and
    identifier flags into groups instead of allowing them all to operate separately), but this addon allows
    for up to thirty filters, all fully customizable.

I just finished this. It took about 12 hours. It's rather simple, but quite extensive. Here is what I've done with it already:

Filter 1: Standard combat messages with me as the source. HOTs and DOTs are omitted. Ability-start messages are omitted, since I know what I'm casting. This is all doable with the default combat log.

Filter 2: Standard combat messages with me as the destination. HOTs and DOTs are omitted. Here's where it gets good: ability-start messages are included, but only if an enemy is the source. My combat log now tells me when someone starts winding up a Pyroblast at me, without spamming me with heal and buff messages. You can't do that with the default combat log controls, because they're too dumb to differentiate between more than one filter.

Filter 3: Captures all of the events that I want to see regardless of source or destination, including item enhancements, environmental damage, party kills, unit deaths, unit destructions, durability damage, and instakills.

Filter 4: Dispels directed toward my party or raid.

Filter 5: Dispels cast by my party or raid.

My combat log now tells me exactly what I want to know, and it only took five filters -- about five minutes to set up. I just wonder why Blizzard didn't write their system like this, especially considering they had over TWO MONTHS to see all of the inadequacies in theirs.

Also, rather soon (within an hour) I'll be uploading new versions of all of my link database addons: items, tradeskills, abilities, and quests.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hmm... I'm very interested in this mod, though going from your description to setting up those 5 filters on one configuration just seems to throw errors for me. Not entirely sure what's going wrong, I thought I had it figured out, because the first time I didn't have Source/Destination set for each one. So I went back and redid it all, making sure Source/Destination were set for all... and it still gave me errors.

Really hope to get it working though.

Edit: Actually, I did get it working. Though I'm not sure if those 5 filters are all supposed to be on one config or not.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What's a good mod that calculates how long till win for AB/EotS and keeps track of tower/GY timers in AV?

Opty on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DBM does that quite well.

Also, this thread title is misleading and I demand a refund!

Junpei on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Opty wrote: »
    What's a good mod that calculates how long till win for AB/EotS and keeps track of tower/GY timers in AV?

Deadly Boss Mods does it wihtout even needing to configure it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Carry The ZeroCarry The Zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    WoWScrnShot_033108_051617.jpg

I'm not really feeling the new combat log, so the bottom right corner is just empty unless I have recount open (which isn't that often anyway). I had been using pitbull for all my unitframes until tonight when I decided to give Icehud a try, and I'm liking it, though i'm still adjusting to it.

Carry The Zero on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ElkBuffBars seems to only have the Blizzard texture available since 2.4 for me, anyone else having the same problem?

edit: I don't like the new combat log at all, will mods like simplecombatlog completely override it (and stop it making the game run like crap after I zone in anywhere)?

815165 on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I haven't had any problems with the textures in Elk's Buff Bars, I have however been having a major problem with it freezing whenever I zone in or out of an instance forcing me to reload my ui. Fucking annoying and I haven't been able to solve it yet.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been using SunnArt to change my viewport and give me a nice area for all my on screen information without the noise of the 3-D world behind it. Since the patch the texture skin I had been using is showing artifacts that do not go away when I switch to solid colour mode. It is unnerving to think that it may be my precious video card.

narv107 on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the problem I'm having with EBB might have something to do with pitbull's buff module or something. Still can't work out a satisfactory solution yet.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Which DoT/sunder/whatever timer addon is the best?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    have they fixed Cartographer QuestData yet for 2.4? the mod had a database of known drop location and monster kill locations. is there a substitute for this mod available?

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
  • Options
    TophobiiTophobii Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not really feeling the new combat log, so the bottom right corner is just empty unless I have recount open (which isn't that often anyway). I had been using pitbull for all my unitframes until tonight when I decided to give Icehud a try, and I'm liking it, though i'm still adjusting to it.

Which HUD are you using?
    narv107 wrote: »
    I've been using SunnArt to change my viewport and give me a nice area for all my on screen information without the noise of the 3-D world behind it. Since the patch the texture skin I had been using is showing artifacts that do not go away when I switch to solid colour mode. It is unnerving to think that it may be my precious video card.

I use Aperture as my viewport mod, on my main account with graphics up I get artifacts, on my clone with graphics down, I don't.

Tophobii on
  • Options
    Sasquatch TimetodieSasquatch Timetodie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Whenever I logoff, some of the chat settings in the main chat frame reset. Namely, I turn off the display of loot, exp gain and rep gain, but it turns itself back on every time. How do I fix this?

Sasquatch Timetodie on
    -Sasquatch TimetoDie
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Whenever I logoff, some of the chat settings in the main chat frame reset. Namely, I turn off the display of loot, exp gain and rep gain, but it turns itself back on every time. How do I fix this?

Yeah the patch was on the PTR for how long and the new chat system is buggy as fuck.

riz on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

I use DoTimers. No idea if it's "best" but it does the job.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    theDewMongertheDewMonger regular
    edited March 2008
    I tried out OmenTM, but it left me feeling violated in the screen real estate department. I couldn't get the fubar plugin to work. Any other suggestions, namely ones that have good fubar ports? I play on a crappy system and I have a 17in CRT monitor, so I need all the space I can save.

BTW, the best way I've found to fix the crappy combat log bugs is to setup a 'quick button' or whatever its called for your settings. Then when you login or zone you can click that and clear out the garbage real quick.

theDewMonger on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm very interested in this mod, though going from your description to setting up those 5 filters on one configuration just seems to throw errors for me. Not entirely sure what's going wrong, I thought I had it figured out, because the first time I didn't have Source/Destination set for each one. So I went back and redid it all, making sure Source/Destination were set for all... and it still gave me errors.

Really hope to get it working though.

Edit: Actually, I did get it working. Though I'm not sure if those 5 filters are all supposed to be on one config or not.

They all go into one config, yes. You don't have to set a source and destination both, though. You don't even have to set either one if you don't want to. But if you do set one, you MUST be sure to follow the tooltip's instructions about creating a complete flag by checking the "Any of the Above" options for the Affiliation, Reaction, Control, and Type categories. I'll change it so that it applies that part of the flag for you if you haven't done it yourself.

If the errors weren't about "Incomplete flag for <src/dest>Mask" though, then something else is wrong. What were the errors?

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    ElkBuffBars seems to only have the Blizzard texture available since 2.4 for me, anyone else having the same problem?
    Install SharedMedia. It adds a plethora of new fonts and textures to all Ace addons, including ElkBuffBars.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Can anyone recommend me a swing timer? I've tried both Action Bar Timer and Quartz, but while Quartz lets me fiddle with the location I can't actually get the bar to show up with either.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend me a swing timer? I've tried both Action Bar Timer and Quartz, but while Quartz lets me fiddle with the location I can't actually get the bar to show up with either.
    Quartz's swing timer appears above the castbar, and only if you're using a two-hander/one-hander + shield. Dual wielding would be frightfully difficult to code a swing timer for, methinks.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Al Baron wrote: »

That can't be legit can it?

Afty on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Afty wrote: »

God no. Look at the description on Curse, in which the dev compliments the Ace framework for making things "so much faster." It's clearly a joke.

I'm just curious about exactly what it does. I don't understand lua at all, so downloading it to look at it would be useless. I'm hoping someone here who's more knowledgeable will take a peek so we can all have a good April Fool's laugh.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Guh forgot the date.. -1 internets

Afty on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Sweet! Oh High Roller addon, now that I've found you, I'm never gonna give you up.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kainy wrote: »

God no. Look at the description on Curse, in which the dev compliments the Ace framework for making things "so much faster." It's clearly a joke.

I'm just curious about exactly what it does. I don't understand lua at all, so downloading it to look at it would be useless. I'm hoping someone here who's more knowledgeable will take a peek so we can all have a good April Fool's laugh.

It loads a movie into a window and RickRolls you. Whatever the fuck that means.

narv107 on
  • Options
    KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Sweet! Oh High Roller addon, now that I've found you, I'm never gonna give you up.

Its never gonna let you down, either.

Kartan on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    is PitBull still as complicated as ever? and need like hours of tweaking to make it even bearable? Same with Grid. there's all these addons people swear by that require so much work that you might as well just write your own addon from scratch in the time it takes to figure them out.

I love addons that are really functional and look good at default settings. I just had to switch to Parrot from TipBuddy because it's not being updated anymore, and I miss TipBuddy so much :(

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I agree. But if you think about it, pretty much every unit frame mod is hardcore customizing if you actually want to customize it. If you are happy with it out of the box, then its cake. I really wish pitbull didnt cost so much memory, since my computer is a POS, but on the other hand I am a visual whore and I want my bars to look just the way I want, so pitbull is the only way to go.

theDewMonger on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pitbull is still complicated as balls. But with the ace2 config gui it's not so bad, once you get a basic sense of how it works. Grid's kinda the same way.

I consider it a small price to pay for a unitframes addon that, for once, will do exactly what I want.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Carry The ZeroCarry The Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tophobii wrote:
    Which HUD are you using?

Currently I'm using IceHud, and after a night of playing I'm adjusting quite well to it. If I can get MobHealth working (haven't tried yet), I'll have every addon from pre-2.4 back and functional that I used

Carry The Zero on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, somehow I managed to hide raidmarks, chat bubbles, and the !/? above questgivers. What the hell did I do?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Dotimer

Gnomeland Security on
  • Options
    Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Im trying to cut down my UI (A LOT) right now...

im using Dotimer, FocusFrame, Questhelper, DBM/BW, Omen, and ORA2

The latter 2 seem to have to be updates every 4-5 hours to be compatible with the rest of the raid

Im sure this will work out soon enough, but its getting very annoying

Btw, has anyone found an artificial horizon yet for flying on your griffin?

Gnomeland Security on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have a really annoying bug and im not sure if this is the place to ask about it but it seems UI related.

Sometimes when i click an ore node, instead of mining it, my cursor changes to the blue outlined hand that you get when you disenchant/prospect something and nothing happens to the ore.

This was a little annoying, however its also happening in BGs when trying to click a flag. This is much more annoying.

It happens more often than it doesn't

Help?

Afty on
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have a really annoying bug and im not sure if this is the place to ask about it but it seems UI related.

Sometimes when i click an ore node, instead of mining it, my cursor changes to the blue outlined hand that you get when you disenchant/prospect something and nothing happens to the ore.

This was a little annoying, however its also happening in BGs when trying to click a flag. This is much more annoying.

It happens more often than it doesn't

Help?

Could be one of your mods conflicting. A GM is just gonna tell you to delete your WTF and unload mods, so you may as well do that before you take it to them. Could try just disabling your mods first though and give it a go. See what happens?

crake on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is it possible to get an addon which will give all marked mobs their own health bar on screen (As if they were a party member) so that switching between them while tanking is easier? This would be sooo much nicer then having to press alt and hope during pulls where the mobs I'm tanking and the CC'd mobs are close to one another...

Tav on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    crake wrote: »

Could be one of your mods conflicting. A GM is just gonna tell you to delete your WTF and unload mods, so you may as well do that before you take it to them. Could try just disabling your mods first though and give it a go. See what happens?

I would definitely reccommend to anyone that uses mods at all to get Fubar (if you dont have it) and the ModMenuTuFu addon for it. Makes it a lot easier to diagnose what mods are doing what. Plus, you can turn off the mods you dont need when you go into a battleground or come out of one. Coupled with a UI reloader for fubar its golden.

I should mention for those that dont know: you can't load a newly installed UI if you havent' restarted wow. It only toggles what was installed at the client startup.

theDewMonger on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Was wondering, is there anyway to make single keybind quaff the best hp potion/ability (Desperate prayer) / healthstone / charged focus available? (IE in inventory and not on cooldown)? I'm guessing no, but if there is, i'd love to hear it.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
This discussion has been closed.