Options

[deleted]

1353637383941»

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    also, approximately how many cool points did jack rack up when he rolled up to john's wake with the windows down pixies blaring hopped up on percocet with his don't give a fuck beard

my cousin remarked that it appears everyone is a badass in the future. this really was only based on Sayid and Jack, though.

and Sun

and Ben

I forgot about Sun. thanks because at the time I thought it was funny and partly true but it stopped making sense when I left her out.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    on "moving the island"...
    I think this was obvious so I haven't said it anywhere yet, but I want to know if this is the general consensus. It didn't seem to me they actually moved the island to a different location, but moved it in time somehow, as the video described with the bunnies. I obviously don't have much more to say on that because Id on't know how such a thing would work, but I was wondering if this was accepted as what happened, or if it makes sense but some people disagree, or if I'm just an idiot.

It's not necessarily accepted as what happened, but it's one of the major theories being thrown around.

Though I'm in the "the island is now on a different place on the map" camp, the time displacement thingy wouldn't be too shocking to me if they revealed it to be the case next season

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    I think this was obvious so I haven't said it anywhere yet, but I want to know if this is the general consensus. It didn't seem to me they actually moved the island to a different location, but moved it in time somehow, as the video described with the bunnies. I obviously don't have much more to say on that because Id on't know how such a thing would work, but I was wondering if this was accepted as what happened, or if it makes sense but some people disagree, or if I'm just an idiot.

It's not accepted as what happened, but it's one of the major theories being thrown around.

Though I'm in the "the island is now on a different place on the map" camp, the time displacement theory wouldn't be that much of a shock if they revealed it to be the case next season

cool, thanks. I only really read here and miss a lot.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Why did Locke get that new name? Did anyone come up with a meaning?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I assumed it was to protect him from the people who were spying on the 6

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »

Well, yeah, but I wonder what made him pick that particular name.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Scroffus wrote: »
    Well, yeah, but I wonder what made him pick that particular name.
    I mentioned it a bit earlier, but Jeremy Bentham was another 18th-19th c. English liberal philosopher, just like John Locke.

Plus, when Bentham died he had his body preserved and it still sits (minus his head) in a little glass booth at his old university, and he even continues to "attend" meetings. Now, think about Ben's instructions that even Locke had to go back to the island too . . .

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    I mentioned it a bit earlier, but Jeremy Bentham was another 18th-19th c. English liberal philosopher, just like John Locke.

Plus, when Bentham died he had his body preserved and it still sits (minus his head) in a little glass booth at his old university, and he even continues to "attend" meetings. Now, think about Ben's instructions that even Locke had to go back to the island too . . .
    43897972London19.jpg

Meet Jeremy Bentham.

Writer, Philosopher, Freaky Corpse in a box.

But that's not really his head...
    benthamo.jpg Meet Jeremy Bentham's head.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

43897972London19.jpg

Meet Jeremy Bentham.

Writer, Philosopher, Freaky Corpse in a box.

But that's not really his head...
    benthamo.jpg Meet Jeremy Bentham's head.

Yikes. That's...kinda creepy.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Did we see Sawyer jump out of the chopper?

I saw screen caps of it but when we watched it on the ABC site this scene never happened.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It's not accepted as what happened, but it's one of the major theories being thrown around.

Though I'm in the "the island is now on a different place on the map" camp, the time displacement theory wouldn't be that much of a shock if they revealed it to be the case next season

cool, thanks. I only really read here and miss a lot.

Well, I certainly thought that might be the case before the season finale, but once we saw
    the Island completely disappear I figured that 'moved in time' theory was thrown completely out the window. I mean, if it moved in time, wouldn't it still be there, just somehow phased to a different time period? I guess maybe the Island exists only in one specific time, and moving it in time basically means you have to wait until that time comes around and be in the right place? I dunno, temporal physics annoy me.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I was really impressed that they actually made the island dissapear with a big plop. Had it been any other show I'd of thought it was too obvious a thing to happen after someone says they are going to move the island, but since it was lost I had the impression they would get around it with trickery (eg the change coordinates but stay in the same spot thing).

It's nice they have gotten to the stage that the most obvious thing to do is the least expected.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The time theory and the space theory are not incompatible.

The island jumps a few hours into the future when the Earth has spun on its axis a few degrees, when it appears again in the same space it used to be. It's the earth that moves, not the island. Of course, how this works with the fact that the whole solarsystem is, together, careening through space along with our galaxy is the question. Maybe the writers didn't think that far.

By the way, it also works with the whole exactly-the-other-side-of-the-Earth thing. The island jumped exactly half a day forward.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    The time theory and the space theory are not incompatible.

The island jumps a few hours into the future when the Earth has spun on its axis a few degrees, when it appears again in the same space it used to be. It's the earth that moves, not the island. Of course, how this works with the fact that the whole solarsystem is, together, careening through space along with our galaxy is the question. Maybe the writers didn't think that far.

By the way, it also works with the whole exactly-the-other-side-of-the-Earth thing. The island jumped exactly half a day forward.

That's a pretty interesting idea, I'm expecting a some pretty cool stuff when / if we see the island move from the perspective of the people on it

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It's not necessarily accepted as what happened, but it's one of the major theories being thrown around.

Though I'm in the "the island is now on a different place on the map" camp, the time displacement thingy wouldn't be too shocking to me if they revealed it to be the case next season

It would've had to have moved through time AND space, because of the Earth not being a stationary object and constantly occupy the same point of space. Now whether we want to argue if it's been moved to a different spot on the planet, that's different. Just thought I'd put on my nerd glasses and point that out.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Your all thinking WAY too hard about this.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Your all thinking WAY too hard about this.

Hey I'm sticking with the simplest theory I can for now. The island was here, and now it's over there. I just wouldn't be shocked if they through a time curveball in there.

On that note, if they tell us how the island moves, would that be the first they ever clearly explained how something unexplainable happened? Makes me doubtful we'll know for quite some time unless they got my letters and set up the entire final season as Locke and some guy sitting in a room while Locke checks items off a list of crazy crap while ben/jacob/whidmore/whoever explains them one by one.

"Next on the list, smoke monster"

"wizard did that too. next question"

edit: changed the joke example, yeesh :?

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The magic box is a metaphor

DesertBox on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2008
    DesertBox wrote: »

Yeah, the island itself is the "magic box". It can make things happen, bring things to you, based on what you need (or on what the island thinks you need to serve it).

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ITS A METAPHOR

pict.jpg

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DesertBox wrote: »

I laughed pretty hard at this.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love how that scene was all "Here John, sit down and watch this educational video, daddy needs to do grown-up work." Ben is just a wonderful character and Michael Emerson plays him so perfectly.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Saiga wrote: »
    I love how that scene was all "Here John, sit down and watch this educational video, daddy needs to do grown-up work." Ben is just a wonderful character and Michael Emerson plays him so perfectly.

Yea, that was my favorite part of the whole episode.

It reminded of all the times some new guy comes to your job with all his "proper" training and douchy sense of superiority.

It always feels good to say, "hey, new guy. Shutup and watch me. I know what I'm doing."

On the last episode, the island somehow is simplfied into the Tardis and Richard or Ben is the first edition of the doctor.

I got as much chance of being right as the rest of you.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well at least Locke is a better looking companion than Catherine Tate.

Scroffus on