As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deadly Creatures for the Wii (looks good!)

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    They should make it an insect version of Clock Tower.

hidden death

Good God wtf is that?!

I hate spiders. :(

Warning: Spider Content
    It doesn't creep me out. And then I imagine how it looks when it's moving around. Then I get creeped out.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    D:

There isn't enough D: for that.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As long as it doesn't have bees, this is a definite buy. I hate bees, with fiery passion.

Also, WHY DID I SEE THAT SPIDER CLOCK PICTURE!? WHYYYYYYYYY!?!?!? D:

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I suspect it'll be levels for the scorpion and levels for the spider, not the ability to choose one or the other on every level. That's usually how it goes in these sorts of games, no?

EDIT: Although, of course, it'd be awesome if every level was designed so that you could play it differently with the two characters. Like Global Defence Force for the PS2.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think I would be slightly disappointed if the battle music isn't the same as the Kirk vs. Spock music.

At the very least have it in there for a boss or something. :D

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Somebody post a clearer image of the scorpion suplexing.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    looks really interesting. i don't have much faith in thq but i'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The gamespot preview blurb mentions taking on humans.

That could be absolutely incredible... it could be taken in so many directions. Maybe just the final boss will simply be the nasty-looking owner of that quiet gas station mentioned in the topic's blurb. Maybe defeating him as the spider will be a puzzle/platforming challenge as you make use of the environment and your mobility to defeat him. Maybe with the scorpion it'll be like Shadow of the Colossus. The possibilites are endless.... and just a little unsettling.

l_g on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    l_g wrote: »

That could be absolutely incredible... it could be taken in so many directions. Maybe just the final boss will simply be the nasty-looking owner of that quiet gas station mentioned in the topic's blurb. Maybe defeating him as the spider will be a puzzle/platforming challenge as you make use of the environment and your mobility to defeat him. Maybe with the scorpion it'll be like Shadow of the Colossus. The possibilites are endless.... and just a little unsettling.

"Hit the Man's weak spot for massive damage!" D:

Axen on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I imagine this game to be basically exactly like this

holy fuck, some of those are excruciating to watch. especially video number 1...ack!

Guek on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ITT: We learn that nature is, in fact, excruciating to watch for some people. I think I hate spiders even more because of this page alone.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    I imagine this game to be basically exactly like this

holy fuck, some of those are excruciating to watch. especially video number 1...ack!

Heh, that's how they invented Pokèmon.

Has someone made a link to their Concept Art Gallery already? I love the one picture with the car wreck.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Axen wrote: »

*insert crotch_punch.gif here*

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The brutality and what could be seen as grotesqueness of insect/arachnid life is really on quite a whole other level compared to other larger animals. Most other animals don't deal with the horror of being killed by larvae devouring you from the inside out, or fight in ways that involve the ripping of limbs and heads.

On the other hand, some of the violent things that insects can do are remarkable... You have bees that can heat hornets to death (without killing themselves in the process!). You have wasps that literally get their wings and antenna torn off as they force their way into a fruit to lay eggs; imagine if any other, bigger, non-insect animal had to endure something like that in order to reproduce: sure plenty of animals die after reproducing, but most don't have to endure a trial that tears off limbs from their body!

It's all kind of horrifying and amazing all at once.

l_g on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The brutality and what could be seen as grotesqueness of insect/arachnid life is really on quite a whole other level compared to other larger animals. Most other animals don't deal with the horror of being killed by larvae devouring you from the inside out, or fight in ways that involve the ripping of limbs and heads.

On the other hand, some of the violent things that insects can do are remarkable... You have bees that can heat hornets to death (without killing themselves in the process!). You have wasps that literally get their wings and antenna torn off as they force their way into a fruit to lay eggs; imagine if any other, bigger, non-insect animal had to endure something like that in order to reproduce: sure plenty of animals die after reproducing, but most don't have to endure a trial that tears off limbs from their body!

Agreed. While it kind of freaks me out it also fascinates me to no end. Especially that Japanese Wasp that can take out a whole beehive in an hour or so. You ever seen videos of that? They rip into these hives, going from bee to bee, chopping them in half, then moving on to the next. You literally see bee carcasses falling left and right. Pretty messed up.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    On the other hand, some of the violent things that insects can do are remarkable...
    Ants. Fuck spiders, the very idea of ants freaks me the fuck out. Millions upon millions of largely mindless drones working tirelessly to overwhelm, dismember, transport, and distribute anything that gets in their way with no regard whatsoever to individual pain or fatigue?

Yeah, that's some scary shit right there.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    ArtArt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I wonder if by 'largely untapped audience' they mean 'people who are scared witless by spiders'?
    Because that's what I'm seeing here.
    It's good to get a strong reaction, I'm sure, but if half the people who might look into it are too scared to do so, well...
    Then again, I'm almost too scared of Bioshock to play it, so maybe I'm just a pansy.

Art on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Has someone made a link to their Concept Art Gallery already? I love the one picture with the car wreck.
    agreed, that pic is rad. I'm still kinda amazed at how good this looks. I mean, aside from Brawl I haven't seen a Wii game with graphics that drew me in like this.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    agreed, that pic is rad. I'm still kinda amazed at how good this looks. I mean, aside from Brawl I haven't seen a Wii game with graphics that drew me in like this.

What about Mario Galaxy?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

What about Mario Galaxy?
    oops, yeah, I guess that, too.

uh, I'll edit to make a better totp. what should the motion controls be like for this game? I can't tell if I want the wiimote use to be limited or if I want them to go for limb-ripping waggle fun.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Art wrote: »
    I wonder if by 'largely untapped audience' they mean 'people who are scared witless by spiders'?
    It's good to get a strong reaction, I'm sure, but if half the people who might look into it are too scared to do so, well...
    Then again, I'm almost too scared of Bioshock to play it, so maybe I'm just a pansy.

says the guy with the cthulu sig

l_g on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

says the guy with the cthulu sig

I bought Fatal Frame 3 despite being scared shitless by the first two. I plan on playing it one day.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited February 2008
    Heir wrote: »

Agreed. While it kind of freaks me out it also fascinates me to no end. Especially that Japanese Wasp that can take out a whole beehive in an hour or so. You ever seen videos of that? They rip into these hives, going from bee to bee, chopping them in half, then moving on to the next. You literally see bee carcasses falling left and right. Pretty messed up.
    The Japanese honey bee defense to this is HARDCORE. The basically pile on to the hornets and vibrate their flight muscles. It creates a temperature the hornets can't survive in, but the bees can.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    All this talk of crazy bees and ants and spiders reminds me just how much I hate nature. Fuck you, nature.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In my first apartment, I had the tendency to leave my clothes laying on the floor, especially boxers/night shorts. Well, while I was clean, my complex was not, and sometimes there were problems with fire ants. Typically, they weren't a problem up on the second floor, but if no one lived downstairs for a stretch and it was particularly hot and dry out, they'd come upstairs for water. Well, one day, I guess some were in my bedroom when I put my boxers on in the morning. I felt something moving around "down there" and then dropped my shorts to see what was going on. Right on the head of my little buddy, there was a reddish brown ant crawling around. It paused almost as if it was looking up at me, raised it's little ant head, and then bit me. I was like, "you mother---- OW!" I killed the little bastard and then saw a little red spot. It raised into a boil-like blister over the next couple of days. My girlfriend laughed at me far more than she should have.
    Wow. Sounds like a great episode of The Ultimate Fighter.

GungHo on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This sounds really awesome. I hope it turns out great.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    *disgusting*.

I threw up a little in my mouth.

Axen on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This will be so, so terrifying. But I will play it. Looks awesome.

I'm going to have to hide it from my fiance, though. She probably won't even let me keep it in the house.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If this looks scary, god help you guys if you try to play Penumbra:Overture. You get some interesting experiences with spiders. Lots of spiders.

NOTE: I do sympathize with people who have phobias and this is in no way an attempt to mock you. Seriously, I get mad crazy vertigo. Just thinking about falling makes my hands clammy. D:

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh shit, that trailer looks amazing!

Scorpion vs. Snake? Sign me the hell up!

I mean, really. This has the potential to be super awesome.

Graviija on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Or laying eggs inside the lavae which have hatched inside another lavae, which themselves are within the lavae of another species. Just be grateful that we live in an age with a lot less oxygen

As for fighting humans, thought scorpions weren't actually that poisonous.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Or laying eggs inside the lavae which have hatched inside another lavae, which themselves are within the lavae of another species. Just be grateful that we live in an age with a lot less oxygen

As for fighting humans, thought scorpions weren't actually that poisonous.

Not all of them. Though I do think most will make you pretty sick. When I was in Iraq we caught these little black ones. We used them in our "Arenas" to fight. It wasn't until we got back from Iraq and were in the medical center that we saw a poster listing the most deadliest scorpions in Iraq/Kuwait. Our little black friend was at the top as the deadliest. If it had stung one of us it would have killed us. We were all D:.

Edit- Hey look at that. Here is the poster I talked about.

Axen on
  • Options
    ArtArt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Says the guy with the Cthulu sig.

I have a healthy respect for nameless horrors from beyond the farthest reaches, what's your point? ;-)
    'Sides, there is a certain difference between pseudo-realism and near-realism...as one critic of television violence was wont to say, real violence can't be broken down or rationalized away as easy as that which is clearly make-believe. I think that Deadly Creatures may be counting on that very notion, however; the 'I can't look away' aspect of violence in nature.
    Gryal wrote:
    I bought Fatal Frame 3 despite being scared shitless by the first two. I plan on playing it one day.

Precisely.

Art on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can tell how deadly a scorpion is by the proportionate size of its claws.
    The smaller they are, the deadlier the venom is.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    uh, I'll edit to make a better totp. what should the motion controls be like for this game? I can't tell if I want the wiimote use to be limited or if I want them to go for limb-ripping waggle fun.

Hopefully they'll make it similar to NMH's controls - normal attacks are done by either A or B, and then use waggle to suplex enemies or do fatalities.

I'm also hoping the spider controls will be like the insect version of Splinter Cell or MGS. Stalking and being stealthy and kills enemies (including larger prey) with its poison.
    With smaller enemies, it will kill them with poison first and then wrap them in web to slowly devour them for extra health. :)

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Arde wrote: »

Hopefully they'll make it similar to NMH's controls - normal attacks are done by either A or B, and then use waggle to suplex enemies or do fatalities.

I'm also hoping the spider controls will be like the insect version of Splinter Cell or MGS. Stalking and being stealthy and kills enemies (including larger prey) with its poison.
    With smaller enemies, it will kill them with poison first and then wrap them in web to slowly devour them for extra health. :)

I think it would be cool if they had a system like Manhunt's fatalities except more varied and with insects.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You left out the most hardcore insect of all: The Emerald Cockroach Wasp. The wasp will find a cockroach and deliver literally surgical strikes to its head, disabling the roach's natural instinct to flee. The wasp will then lead the roach to its burrow by pulling the antenna, like a man on a pleasant walk with his dog. The wasp then lays an egg on the roach and seals the burrow (for the roach's protection, not to make sure the roach doesn't escape. Remember, that part of its brain was disabled by the wasp. ). The roach just sits passively in the dark until, in a few days, the egg hatches and the larvae eats the roach.

Did I mention the larvae eats the roach alive over a period of over a week, eating the organs in a certain order to make sure that the roach stays alive as long as possible?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    japanesebugfights.com is the best website I have ever seen in my entire life.

As you may have inferred from the above statement, I'm very interested in this game. Especially since I actively like spiders. All you arachnophobes should come over to my house sometime, there are giant ones hanging of the balcony.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    MannyManateeMannyManatee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    japanesebugfights.com is the best website I have ever seen in my entire life.

As you may have inferred from the above statement, I'm very interested in this game. Especially since I actively like spiders. All you arachnophobes should come over to my house sometime, there are giant ones hanging of the balcony.

FUCK YEAH!

www.japanesebugfights.com

For some reason the scorpions seem to be pussies though.

The again that might be because they're fighting against giant ass rhino beetles.

MannyManatee on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game looks like it was thought up by an 11-year-old boy. All it needs is a skull on fire.

Keeping my eye on this one, though. It's certainly interesting.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png