Options

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I doubt it, it'll just mean the cool improbably crazy shit will seem a lot cheesier by comparison.

They might cut out the traditional Ace Combat "superweapons"--flying aircraft carriers, the SOLG, etc. Maybe. Maybe not.

As long as they don't decide to take the overused Tom Clancy jingoism route, it shouldn't be too bad.

This is the reason why Ace Combat is popular though. People like crazy shit because fuck we have seen a million generically realistic flight games.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That helicopter did a barrel roll

I'm pretty stoked about that!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Part of the charm of Ace Combat was it's weird, fictional worlds where air combat dogfighting was the primary way to wage war, and it's folklore and history where you got nicknamed after ancient demons and shit, not to mention space railguns and satellites and all that sort of nonsense

That being said, holy shit am I on board with this

Oh AC5 did it right. They can have it as long as it isn't terribad like in AC6 and Zero.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As long as they don't decide to take the overused Tom Clancy "Amerikuh!" conspiracy-theory jingoism route, it can only be so bad. That route is very hard to keep entertaining, in part because it's been done to death (by Tom Clancy's games in part.)
    Cantido wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's not terribly excited at the idea of an Ace Combat game set in "the real world"? I've grown fond of the fictional world set up in AC4 through AC6. This sounds more like Namco's attempts to put the Soulcalibur games in the real world.

As long as they gut the Angel Demon anime bullshit, I approve.

AC6 should have been about the turmoil of Belka and the rest of the world. No, it was about you, the faceless avatar, and your mad skillz in a documentary.

I can take the angel demon anime bullshit. What I cannot, and will-not stand for, is more "Dance with the Angels, daddy" Hollywood bullshit. I want to play a fighter ace, not Ben Affleck reprising for the same goddamn role of a loving lover, husband and/or father again. I don't want to give a shit about my (the pilot's) children or wife. I don't want to give a shit about my wingman's wife for more than three seconds when he mentions her before dying. Because any longer, and Namco will make me want to claw my own eyes out.

They have a whole world of countries, and apparently all of them have high-tech air forces, there was plenty of other ground to cover. AC6 was fine, until it descended into the typical Hollywood bullshit of having to make the children the focus of the war, not the pilots.
    I doubt it, it'll just mean the cool improbably crazy shit will seem a lot cheesier by comparison.

They might cut out the traditional Ace Combat "superweapons"--flying aircraft carriers, the SOLG, etc. Maybe. Maybe not.

As long as they don't decide to take the overused Tom Clancy jingoism route, it shouldn't be too bad.

This is the reason why Ace Combat is popular though. People like crazy shit because fuck we have seen a million generically realistic flight games.

Not really. The real attraction is taking ridiculously expensive, high-tech planes and doing anachronistic, albeit entertaining shit like dogfighting like your the VVS over Berlin with an ass load of missiles. It's why HAWX, which sucks, still did modestly well.

The superweapons are set pieces. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but that's because they work in the fictional world Olivaw described--one where national differences always involve air power. It might not translate as well to our world, where a lot of conflicts don't give a shit about air superiority (let's see some kickass fighters defeat right-wing death squads in their underground networks).

It'll depend on how Namco handles it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh shit this is some good news for today!

I'm not too keen on real world stuff as I also like the AC world of dogfighting and superweapons. 1000 missles from your F-22 into a a hellcarrier. Plus I was hoping for some prototype fighters that you can customize like in AC X.

Plus leave the Russians alone man. Use some anime nazis or some MGS Aero PMCs.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I guess I'll need to see how they play it out, but right now I would honestly be excited about real world countries having crazy improbable Ace Combat shit.

"Oh no! North Korea has a ballistic missile launching super carrier! Better activate America's space laser!"

From the trailer, it looks like they're not going to make the dogfighting more "realistic." It's still WW II dogfighting with F-22s.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Here's the list of likely antagonists, in order of most to least likely

1. Airborne Pirates/PMC (basically the same thing).

2. Radicals/Terrorists/Disguised Freedom Fighters/All of the Above (the same thing, the only difference being is if they're FF, you'll end up joining them).

3. Lots of random groups that aren't tied to one another.

4. Some sort of ideological monolith (interested in spreading an idea rather than terror or fighting for their freedom).

5. A specific country (China, Russia, the United States, Japan).

Despite the Russo-Japanese war, Japan does not have the hard-on for stickin' it to the Ruskies in video games we (North America) seem to. The Russian Federation (as a country) is not an enemy as often as individual Russians are, and that in turn isn't very common unless you're Hideo Kojima (same with men grabbing other men's crotches).

In these sort of fictional military scenario, Russia or the USSR tends to be another party, along with the United States or Germany or China, that happens to be involved. Making "Akula" a Russian air pirate, I suspect, is a concession, to the fear that Americans will not buy a flight simulator set in our world that does not let you shoot down Russians. They're very, very popular enemies over here, and Ace Combat is always heavily marketed in the US.

There is a decent chance you will be shooting down named Americans as well as named Russians, but they don't be acting as agents of the United States. And there's almost 100% chance you will be shooting down Americans if you consider all the enemy pilots (whom you'll inevitably be listening in on again) who have American accents to be Americans. Which isn't all that ridiculous, if you think about it--if there was a sudden emergence of airborne piracy via warplanes, the country with the largest Air Force would probably supply the most pilots.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That trailer looks like shit compared to the past ones. Also, QTEs? Real World? Also that "dogfighting" was painfully stupid/unrealistic even by Ace Combat standards.

I am disappointed. Very disappointed.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    How is that dogfighting any different than any other Ace Combat? And there's nothing saying that the triangle commands are QTEs. They look to be either missile cams or target tracking cams.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well its very close quarters minigun range they showed.

That never happens. Its like always all missiles to red squares. You never see the enemy planes.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It looked like it was a rail shooter.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Actually you do, especially if you like shooting them with guns (in a game as easy as AC, there's no reason not to mix it up).

The section with the minigun probably belongs to a sort of "helicopter minigame". As I said, could be good, could be horrible.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually you do, especially if you like shooting them with guns (in a game as easy as AC, there's no reason not to mix it up).

The section with the minigun probably belongs to a sort of "helicopter minigame". As I said, could be good, could be horrible.

On the harder difficulties, why waste the extra missile?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I honestly can't think of a time, even on 'Ace' difficulty, where I ran out of missiles. Then again, I do a lot of dogfighting and strafing, and most of my favorite aircraft have air-to-air special abilities. I also don't play 'Ace' until after my first playthrough, and by then, planes with ridiculously high missile capacities are typically available.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I honestly can't think of a time, even on 'Ace' difficulty, where I ran out of missiles. Then again, I do a lot of dogfighting and strafing, and most of my favorite aircraft have air-to-air special abilities. I also don't play 'Ace' until after my first playthrough, and by then, planes with ridiculously high missile capacities are typically available.

Unless they've changed it, Ace doesn't unlock until at least completing a single playthrough.

Me? I tend to use 'sidewinders' as ground-and-pound attacks. So I tend to save missiles either for other planes or various targets of opportunity. Guns are for things not worth any or any more missiles.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I mean like gun pip range. At least for me I have the hardest time staying right on a bogeys tail to use the gun for a extended period.

I mean its never been like Rogue Squadron where I can stay all laser cannon right behind a TIE.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alien QueenAlien Queen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ya know, I was just thinking the other day that we were about due for another console Ace Combat.

I am very excited about this. A little wary about the real world setting, but we'll see how it goes. As long as we get to unlock super-planes and fight against giant manta-ray-planes or falling satellites of death...I'll be happy <3

Alien Queen on
    3DS: 4742 5205 9601 - Boss Lady - Pokemon Y - In game name: Kira
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GOD FUCKING DAMN IT AS SOON AS I GET AN XBOX 360 MOTHERFUCKERS GO PS3
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Quick time events.

Bland, generic, uninspired orchestra soundtrack.

Real world setting.

I'll pass.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought the Triangle command was to track the enemy behind them

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks a hell of a lot better than HAWX. And I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt re: the ultra-close range air battles. Even if only 5% of the game plays like that, they were bound to use it for a trailer because it looks awesome compared to shots of individual planes making sweeping turns.

I've said before that I'd prefer a late 60s era setting, even an alternate-universe version, with smoky turbojet engines, high wing loading, and low thrust to weight ratios that suit the Ace Combat flight model better than all these bleeding-edge superfighters. But I knew Project Aces wouldn't do it.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As long as they don't decide to take the overused Tom Clancy "Amerikuh!" conspiracy-theory jingoism route, it can only be so bad. That route is very hard to keep entertaining, in part because it's been done to death (by Tom Clancy's games in part.

You mean just like the conspiracy going on in AC5? The betrayal in AC0? You're asking for a unique plot in a medium of repetition. Good luck with that. ;-)

As far as the fictional world vs. Ace Combat's world, I dunno. I liked the unique background, but you were still flying real world planes (for the most part). Where was my YF-52 Razgriz, or X-70 Demon with integrated rail gun and cheese shredder? F-22? Boooooring. ;-)

Edit: Zoku, as far as what we want... am I the only one that wants to see Project Aces make Freespace 3?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Project Aces Macross game.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I want the various ace worlds to discover a portal to the real world, and invade it with their crazy superweapons.

edit: GalagaGalaxian, are you iTim on rpgnet? I'm really looking forward to seeing your thing.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Edit: Zoku, as far as what we want... am I the only one that wants to see Project Aces make Freespace 3?

Not interested in a Freespace game that controls like a flight sim instead of a space sim. Even the classic X-Wing bugged me with the slight banking in what should be flat turns.

I just want Freespace 1 & 2 with updated graphics and console multiplayer, on XBL Marketplace and PSN.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    *insert bitching about OMG consolez cant do pc gamez wtf*

Also, the more I watch the trailer, the more I think it looks like the Modern Warfare equivalent for the Ace Combat universe. This fact has me more than a little pumped.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I want the various ace worlds to discover a portal to the real world, and invade it with their crazy superweapons.

The real world has physics and load out restrictions. You'd hear nothing but radio chatter consisting of 'Why aren't my missiles respawning?' followed shortly by an explosion.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No I am not iTim, I'm just giving him some free advertising.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Project Aces make Rogue Squadron 4

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

The real world has physics and load out restrictions. You'd hear nothing but radio chatter consisting of 'Why aren't my missiles respawning?' followed shortly by an explosion.

Either that, or "What the hell? That maneuver should have killed the pilot! Holy crap, missiles everywhere!"

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    PunkBoy wrote: »

Either that, or "What the hell? That maneuver should have killed the pilot! Holy crap, missiles everywhere!"

I don't know why real pilots don't use my great tactic of stalling out, then spraying missiles upward as I fall toward the ground. Gets 'em every time.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ace Combat is fun because of the crazy tech. I wants my helicarriers and death star trench runs.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    As long as they don't decide to take the overused Tom Clancy "Amerikuh!" conspiracy-theory jingoism route, it can only be so bad. That route is very hard to keep entertaining, in part because it's been done to death (by Tom Clancy's games in part.

You mean just like the conspiracy going on in AC5? The betrayal in AC0? You're asking for a unique plot in a medium of repetition. Good luck with that. ;-)

Hey, I'll take "a little better" over none at all. At least with fictional countries, you can make up the history to batter satisfy the plot. :P
    PunkBoy wrote: »

I don't know why real pilots don't use my great tactic of stalling out, then spraying missiles upward as I fall toward the ground. Gets 'em every time.

"Okay, this is stupid. How the fuck are you supposed to destroy a carrier with less than seven missiles? And who the fuck uses more than one type of air-to-air missile?"

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I wonder when the last actual real dogfight happened. The most I have ever heard that has been dangerous is just SAMs.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Probably between two Air Forces in a war that had nothing to do with the United States and, at most modern, where one side was trained by the Soviet Air Force.

(In other words, a while ago, somewhere far away.)

But it depends on how strict a definition of 'dogfight' you have.

EDIT: Then again, both the Russian Fed. and the United States design jets with supermanueverability in mind, which means we'll still have demonstrations of dogfights.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the last dogfighting might have been in Gulf War 1. Iraq had some planes back then and there were air to air kills. But I'm not certain.

LogicReason on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd say no, given the technology and tactics of the USAF back then (Iraq's not withstanding). Planes were destroyed, sure, but it's not necessarily dogfighting.

But I'm not certain by any means.

More recently, in 1999, the Eritrean-Ethiopian War saw some MiG-29s engage Su-27s (both very maneuverable planes). Maybe there, given the limited missile technology they would have access to.

EDIT: Interesting fact--the first woman recorded to claim an air kill in a jet came from that war, Captain Aster Tolossa, in an Ethiopian Su-27.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know, even if the actual game didn't deliver on it, the Ace Combat 6 trailer was the best of the lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKgOAdnZ7Aw

Mind you, it doesn't have any 'dance with the angels" in there either. Though in the one that did that lone voice at one point that says "gentlemen, I do not believe there is a lady on earth who could resist us" always makes me smile.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No. We all know AC0 had the best trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYET93z5edk

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I liked 0, but "Solo Wing Pixie" is still the lamest call sign ever.

PolloDiablo on