Options

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    From Wikipedia:
    Namco has also released downloadable co-op versions of single player missions. Ragno Fortress, and Chandelier are now available in addition to The Aigaion and Bartolomeo Fortress which came with the game.

From the DLC descriptions:
    New Online CO-OP BATTLE Stage Now Available! Join up to four other players in hunting down the enemy forces scattered across the canyon. The primary mission consists of four individually timed successive operations. Progression to the next operation can be achieved without destroying all TGTs within the time limit. However, successfully destroying all TGTs will lead to increased fortifications during the secondary mission, and a chance to score bigger points. Work with your wingmen to successfully clear all operations, and unleash the full power of Ragno Fortress! *Select Player Match via Online Battle after download to play. (This system is not available in Ranked Match) There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.
    Candelier wrote:
    New Online CO-OP BATTLE Stage Now Available! Join up to four other players over the frozen arctic as you endeavor to conquer the Chandelier doomsday weapon! The modified cooling units quickly come back online once deactivated. Swiftly taking out all units offers the only promise of victory. Once the subsequent back-up cooling units are offline the cannon will open, offering a momentary chance to strike at the core. Destroy the Chandelier, and end the war once and for all! Team work is of the essence! *Select Player Match via Online Battle after download to play. (This system is not available in Ranked Match) There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

There are also extra Battle Royale, Seige Battle, and Team Battle downloads available. Thankfully, they're all free. Everything else is just going to nickel and dime you to death...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey does anyone here play Ace Combat online? No one seems to play on live anymore. I'd be down for doing some co-op.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Find me around November/December/January and I'll be able to say yes.
    Plus I'm going to have to track down a copy of the Iron Eagle 2 and Top Gun soundtracks.
    And I'll need to get my room mates psyched for it. Luckily the game's only $20 now and I'm sure we can get it cheaper somewhere.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Full list of DLC: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167642

Also, I've yet to pick up a 360 for myself, but I'm trying to decide between AC6 and HAWX. As a big AC fanboy this should be a no-brainer, but AC6 only has 15 planes, while HAWX has over 50, which I'm pretty sure outmatches every Ace Combat except The Unsung War. Anyone have a gameplay comparison between the two?
    By the way I think it's bullshit that the FB-22 is preorder only. I've nothing against publishers doing the preorder thing normally because hey, they do need to get people to adopt early, but that's my favorite non-fictional aircraft!

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    edited July 2009
    SkyEye wrote: »

Also, I've yet to pick up a 360 for myself, but I'm trying to decide between AC6 and HAWX. As a big AC fanboy this should be a no-brainer, but AC6 only has 15 planes, while HAWX has over 50, which I'm pretty sure outmatches every Ace Combat except The Unsung War. Anyone have a gameplay comparison between the two?
    By the way I think it's bullshit that the FB-22 is preorder only. I've nothing against publishers doing the preorder thing normally because hey, they do need to get people to adopt early, but that's my favorite real-life aircraft!

Ace Combat 6 is a flight sim. HAWX is an arcade style fighter game. When a missile is locked onto you in HAWX it shows you where to fly to avoid it. Get AC6.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    Plus I'm going to have to track down a copy of the Iron Eagle 2 and Top Gun soundtracks.

Also, anyone know where I can find a new copy of the AC04 soundtrack? Megalith - Agnus Dei is my second favorite song of all time (video game or not) and that cover art looks bizarre enough to put into my must-have category.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Taranis wrote: »

By the way I think it's bullshit that the FB-22 is preorder only. I've nothing against publishers doing the preorder thing normally because hey, they do need to get people to adopt early, but that's my favorite non-fictional aircraft!

Ace Combat 6 is a flight sim. HAWX is an arcade style fighter game. When a missile is locked onto you in HAWX it shows you where to fly to avoid it. Get AC6.

Ace Combat is not a flight sim. I've fought against a fucking aerial fortress that would never get off the ground in real life, using optical camouflage that may or may not be viable on that scale in actuality, firing missiles that can somehow kill you at 2401 feet but not 2399 feet. Using a fighter equipped with a copious number of nonexistent multipurpose missiles which fly much slower than they would on Earth.

Also, you can turn that missile guidance feature off. It is bullshit though that you apparently can't use a first-person mode while doing so.

SkyEye on

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I just started AC5. The replying to other characters while dogfighting is throwing me off. Do these mean anything at all?

Also weird is that Steve Blum does so much voice acting but he really only has two voices. Normal guy and tough guy. Sometimes something special like the Green Goblin in Spectacular Spider-Man.

Steve blum has the vocal diversity of a dead lemur.

HELLOOOOOO

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited July 2009

By the way I think it's bullshit that the FB-22 is preorder only. I've nothing against publishers doing the preorder thing normally because hey, they do need to get people to adopt early, but that's my favorite real-life aircraft!

Ehh, I wouldn't call AC6 a flight sim. I mean there is a bit more depth to the controls than a regular arcade fighter, but you're still carrying a rack of 60+ missiles, (possibly) infinite machine gun ammo, and can actually take 2 missile hits and still fly in one piece. Plus there's no blacking out or minor terrain collisions (I swear on one mission in AC0 my intakes were sucking in leaves and I was giving that tree line a trim.)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They really play differently. And I don't regret purchasing either (Though I did Goozex both eventually).

Don't have the time for a real comparison, but a word of warning about HAWX. Get the demo and test the OFF mode. If you can't adjust to it, then you're not going to get nearly the enjoyment out of the game than you would AC6.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Now, now... You could call AC6 a flight sim. Of course, that would mean you've never played a flight sim.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok. I've never played a flight sim then. What I meant was Ace Combat 6 is more realistic than HAWX.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also, that missile tracking thing will almost certainly become a reality sometime soon. Perhaps incomprehensible now, but thaink of how unrealistic a heads-up display would be to someone flying an Chance-Vought F4U Corsair or a Hughes P21-J Mk3 Devastator.

SkyEye on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Also, that missile tracking thing will almost certainly become a reality sometime soon. Perhaps incomprehensible now, but thaink of how unrealistic a heads-up display would be to someone flying an Chance-Vought F4U Corsair or a Hughes P21-J Mk3 Devastator.

What makes you think that? I can imagine more R&D being done on ECM rather than something like that.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I just started AC5. The replying to other characters while dogfighting is throwing me off. Do these mean anything at all?

Only on occasion.

Although, since I started playing back through AC5, I really wish the reply mode had third option: CHOKE NAGASE. JESUS, BITCH, QUIT GETTING ALL BUTTHURT ABOUT BEING A GOOD PILOT. YOU'RE MAKING ME LONG FOR DANCING ANGELS.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Only on occasion.

Although, since I started playing back through AC5, I really wish the reply mode had third option: CHOKE NAGASE. JESUS, BITCH, QUIT GETTING ALL BUTTHURT ABOUT BEING A GOOD PILOT. YOU'RE MAKING ME LONG FOR DANCING ANGELS.

Hey now

Nagase's neurosis and bitching was nowhere near as bad as dancing angels

Not even close

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want professional wingmen who only talk on the radio to announce they've seen two foxes or to praise my shooting skills

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alright, it's been a while since I've played 5, and maybe it's because I like the character too much, but I cannot recall when Nagase is annoyingly depressive or whiny. The only time close to that level is when
    it's implied she let herself get shot down after failing to find Bartlett amongst the POWs. But she makes up for that in the very next mission.

The only other time I can think is the very beginning of the game...but I'll accept being the only survivor in your training squad as a pretty good reason to be depressed.

Otherwise, she's all like "Gotta protect Blaze," and "Gotta fight to get peace."

And for me at least, if I want professional sounding wingmen, I'll play a flight sim. This is a series with lasers and air fortesses and BALLISTIC MISSILES. I like a little characterization for the people I'm flying with, even if it is somewhat annoying and unrealistic.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    if these people hate war so much and just want to protect people, remind me again why they're working for a PMC?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ? In 5, they're part of Osea's air force.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok. I've never played a flight sim then. What I meant was Ace Combat 6 is more realistic than HAWX.

Yeah, you most definitely did not play a real Flight Sim in any conceivable way.

The Playstation 2 AC games (which I have played, and are probably very similar to AC6) are just a fraction of a nano-smidgen more realistic than HAWX. Maybe HAWX has more silly HUD helper stuff, but both games (AC and HAWX) have very arcadey flight models, extremely arcadey avionics and weapon modes and ridiculous amounts of ordinance in each plane.

Lock On is an actual flight simulator, as is Falcon 4.0. It takes longer to learn how to operate the avionics and radar modes in those two games than it takes to beat the campaigns in Ace Combat.

Not to mention the WW2 sims like IL-2... Move your flightstick a millimeter too much and your plane falls like a rock to the ground. Stalls abound. And good luck hitting anything with your guns.

Compared to those games I just mentioned, both AC and HAWX are equally arcadey. I really love arcadey games, anyway.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    if these people hate war so much and just want to protect people, remind me again why they're working for a PMC?

They aren't.
    They were trainee pilots in a far off base in buttfuck nowhere, in a time when there was no evidence any wars were gonna start anytime soon. They probably just wanted a job flying planes around, not expecting any combat.

There is a guy like that in Wing Commander Prophecy. Dallas. He joined Confed Space Forces as a career plan. There were no enemies anymore. Then BOOM evil superpowerful insect aliens attacked. Dude got all hysterical over it.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, you most definitely did not play a real Flight Sim in any conceivable way.

The Playstation 2 AC games (which I have played, and are probably very similar to AC6) are just a fraction of a nano-smidgen more realistic than HAWX. Maybe HAWX has more silly HUD helper stuff, but both games (AC and HAWX) have very arcadey flight models, extremely arcadey avionics and weapon modes and ridiculous amounts of ordinance in each plane.

Lock On is an actual flight simulator, as is Falcon 4.0. It takes longer to learn how to operate the avionics and radar modes in those two games than it takes to beat the campaigns in Ace Combat.

Not to mention the WW2 sims like IL-2... Move your flightstick a millimeter too much and your plane falls like a rock to the ground. Stalls abound. And good luck hitting anything with your guns.

Compared to those games I just mentioned, both AC and HAWX are equally arcadey. I really love arcadey games, anyway.

Neither game is approaching an actual jet fighter flight simulation (if you want that on console, the closest you're going to get is probably Over G, which is not a friendly game in the least).

That being said, the AC games are consistently much less arcade-y than HAWX is. HAWX actually has a gameplay mechanic that requires you view your play from an outside camera view. And not just any outside camera view, one that is literally a half-kilometer from your aircraft and at about a 30 degree angle from directly behind it.

That, and there's also the fact that HAWX take's AC's fondness for ridiculous amounts of missiles and doubles it. One of the most basic aircraft carries 120 missiles. So, while that doesn't make AC any less goofy-happy-dogfight time, it does make HAWX considerably more so.

Actually hitting things in actual simulation games, like IL-2, is simply a matter of lots and lots of practice. Before my joystick decided to die, I was slowly teaching myself to play DCS: Black Eagle, from the makers of Lock On. Currently, the only available aircraft to fly is the dual-rotor Kamov Ka-50, which has a seventy step 'accelerated' start-up procedure, which I have taped to the wall of my desk. Now that is goddamn unfriendly. Still get a kick out of it though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want professional wingmen who only talk on the radio to announce they've seen two foxes or to praise my shooting skills

This is why I want the next Ace Combat to have co-op campaign. A squad of humans, ruining all in their path. THERE WOULD BE NO DANCING ANGELS OF WAR BUTTHURT.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Speaking of other flight games on the Xbox 360, any idea how realistic or arcade-like IL-2: Birds of Prey is going to be? That comes out next month, very soon! I thought I heard something about a demo, too, that may have come out yesterday?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There is a demo out now for the 360! Possibly for the PSN today but I don't know for certain.

If you do the third mission in the tutorial then you unlock the Realistic and Sim settings for the actual missions you get. Arcade reminds me of Heroes of the Pacific style WW2 flying, and Simulation reminds me heavily of outright IL-2 Sturmovik WW2 flying.

Realistic is a good in-between.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Neither game is approaching an actual jet fighter flight simulation (if you want that on console, the closest you're going to get is probably Over G, which is not a friendly game in the least).

That being said, the AC games are consistently much less arcade-y than HAWX is. HAWX actually has a gameplay mechanic that requires you view your play from an outside camera view. And not just any outside camera view, one that is literally a half-kilometer from your aircraft and at about a 30 degree angle from directly behind it.

That, and there's also the fact that HAWX take's AC's fondness for ridiculous amounts of missiles and doubles it. One of the most basic aircraft carries 120 missiles. So, while that doesn't make AC any less goofy-happy-dogfight time, it does make HAWX considerably more so.

Actually hitting things in actual simulation games, like IL-2, is simply a matter of lots and lots of practice. Before my joystick decided to die, I was slowly teaching myself to play DCS: Black Eagle, from the makers of Lock On. Currently, the only available aircraft to fly is the dual-rotor Kamov Ka-50, which has a seventy step 'accelerated' start-up procedure, which I have taped to the wall of my desk. Now that is goddamn unfriendly. Still get a kick out of it though.

But that's the thing. After playing IL-2 and Black Eagle, the supposed differences in "arcadeness" between HAWX and AC are negligible. What does it matter if the plane packs 60 or 120 missiles? Anything over 12 is ludicrous. Both games have magic 360º radars with ultra powerful IFF. The flight models are insanely simple -- and at least on OFF mode in HAWX you can actually stall. AC is a tiny bit less arcadey than Hawx. A tiny tiny bit.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

But that's the thing. After playing IL-2 and Black Eagle, the supposed differences in "arcadeness" between HAWX and AC are negligible. What does it matter if the plane packs 60 or 120 missiles? Anything over 12 is ludicrous. Both games have magic 360º radars with ultra powerful IFF. The flight models are insanely simple -- and at least on OFF mode in HAWX you can actually stall. AC is a tiny bit less arcadey than Hawx. A tiny tiny bit.

You can stall in AC too, going back to AC4 (and probably earlier). Nor is there any magical way to turn it off.

HAWX is considerably more arcade-y. Not tiny bit. It's a noticeable difference. On the scale of arcade-yness, with DCS: Black Shark being 1, HAWX is 10, and the AC series generally sticks around 7 or 8. There's a noticeable difference. I mean, this is all from my personal experience (everything in this thread is a matter of perspective), but the difference is definitely more than a tiny, tiny bit. And there is a difference between 35 base missiles (what you start out with in the default aircraft in most AC) games and 120 (what you used in the HAWX demo). It all adds up.

Conversely, if you made Area 88 or something a 10, HAWX would probably be an 8, while AC would fall around 6, nearly 7.

This is why I want the next Ace Combat to have co-op campaign. A squad of humans, ruining all in their path. THERE WOULD BE NO DANCING ANGELS OF WAR BUTTHURT.

This is better, I think. Frankly, the generic praise for your dogfighting skills would get old, fast, especially given that you can regularly down 10 to 30 planes in a single AC mission, depending on how far into the story you've progressed. Professional wingmen =/= ass-kissers.

I'd like them to limit it to information relevant to the situation, and maybe the occasional banter concerning the situation.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    UR RONG!
    :D

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Did the give HAWX new multiplayer modes other than vanilla deathmatch? Is the control scheme AC-like? And how's the unlock system; does it have something creative like the kill trees in AC5?
    This is better, I think. Frankly, the generic praise for your dogfighting skills would get old, fast, especially given that you can regularly down 10 to 30 planes in a single AC mission, depending on how far into the story you've progressed. Professional wingmen =/= ass-kissers.

I'd like them to limit it to information relevant to the situation, and maybe the occasional banter concerning the situation.

I'd like something more Wraith Squadron (humor) than Rogue Squad but, much more importantly, dialogue writers and voice actors who can actually pull their weight. A full 4-player co-op campaign would be awesome, but the game as a whole would have to be good enough to convince my friends to buy it. There's generic voice actor bad, and there's "random Xbox Live matchmaking."

SkyEye on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm playing HAWX now and got to the training mission where it "teaches" you OFF mode. FUCK OFF MODE! Who thought this was a good thing? It's fucking bullshit. These drones would be fucking dead already if I wasn't locked in this shitty fucking view.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm playing HAWX now and got to the training mission where it "teaches" you OFF mode. FUCK OFF MODE! Who thought this was a good thing? It's fucking bullshit. These drones would be fucking dead already if I wasn't locked in this shitty fucking view.

Take the time to understand off mode, it works pretty well once you "get it".

Note that in the default control settings, when you move the left stick to the sides, it turns the plane instead of rolling.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No, Dashui is right. HAWX has been tried and found....wanting.

Error on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Error wrote: »

Actually I'm enjoying it, and definitely liking the selection of planes. It's no Ace Combat, of course, mostly due to the lack of melodrama and crazy situations I like in that series, but as I said I'm having fun. The OFF mode is bullshit, though. I refuse to use it.

And what is that from? Fuck, it's at the tip of my memory but it's not coming to me! I need to remember! That is a quote, right? That last bit? Tell me! D:

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't remember exactly but I know it was said in Knight's Tale after the big bad gets knocked the fuck out and all the heroes are standing over him
    "You have been weighed."
    "You have been judged."
    "And you have been found..... wanting."
    But I KNOW that I heard it before that movie.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    Error wrote: »

Actually I'm enjoying it, and definitely liking the selection of planes. It's no Ace Combat, of course, mostly due to the lack of melodrama and crazy situations I like in that series, but as I said I'm having fun. The OFF mode is bullshit, though. I refuse to use it.

And what is that from? Fuck, it's at the tip of my memory but it's not coming to me! I need to remember! That is a quote, right? That last bit? Tell me! D:

wimp.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Read the Bible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_writing_on_the_wall

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread to talk about HAWX. Let's get back to the AC series. Like when we're gonna get the PSX games for download on PSN. Or conspiracy theories about why Namco hasn't even hinted at another AC game when they released three full titles within an 18-month period.

SkyEye on

• Options
    ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Read the Bible?

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread to talk about HAWX. Let's get back to the AC series. Like when we're gonna get the PSX games for download on PSN. Or conspiracy theories about why Namco hasn't even hinted at another AC game when they released three full titles within an 18-month period.

I say, AC7, earliest on March 2010, wait for tgs.
    Now if you guys really want to get into conspiracy theory:
    There was a job posting in Japan for 3d modeller to model fighter planes/machines for a "Flight action game".
    Job location being near Namco HQ.

Job listing was pulled off after a few days, but if I remember right, I THINK there is a part where it mentions the contract will end in october 2010.
    Ace team has a hard on for announcing games in March/April, and then release it 6 months or so afterward. So......yea, conspiracy theory.

Fun fact:
    ACX, ACZ, AC6 (and probably AC5?) were all being worked on simultaneously according to developer interview.

ObstSkwerl on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Read the Bible?

How well did Ace Combat 6 sell?

Dashui on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HAWX has a deathmatch option called "realistic". Cockpit only, minimal loadout (The plane I flew had I believe two radar missles and I think four JS missles). Its actually pretty fun. Though the radar guided missles are cheap in that mode since you get all of two flares, roughly and its pretty easy to keep the enemy in the cone if you're far enough away.

Docshifty on