Options

To iPod or not to iPod

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
So - my Shuffle is starting to show it's age. The headphone jack sometimes drops out on one side and frankly the size is starting to becoming limiting to me. I'm looking at buying something new - probably in the next few weeks.

Obviously, the most convenient option for me, given my newfound love of Podcasts and 16gig library already sorted w/ album art in iTunes, would be to continue buying iPods. I started looking at the 8Gig Nano and the 80Gig Classic. However, the temptation is there to jump ship at this point as there are some really nice alternatives.

Specifically - the Zune 8 or 80, the Creative Zen 16 and the SanDisk Sansa View 16 all offer advantages over the traditional iPod. Bigger screens, larger capacity, radio, etc are all really tempting (especially the Zen). So I guess a few questions:

* Are there any other advantages in getting an iPod aside from the convenience of not having to migrate my music library? (I only have one album bought from Apple, everything else is mp3, so at least format is a non-issue)

* Do the other players work directly with Windows Media Player or do they have their own library software?

* Do the other players work well with Podcasts?

Thanks!

Lindsay Lohan on

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just to chime in, I was thinking of looking at a zune because I can play my wife's stuff from iTunes or use the MS music store, it works with Media Player and my xbox 360. And it has a built in FM radio.

Now, one thing I'm not sure is how well it works with podcasts, but I believe it is supposed to.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anyone know of a good 32GB flash player that MediaMonkey can sync to?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ToyD wrote: »
    Just to chime in, I was thinking of looking at a zune because I can play my wife's stuff from iTunes or use the MS music store, it works with Media Player and my xbox 360. And it has a built in FM radio.

Now, one thing I'm not sure is how well it works with podcasts, but I believe it is supposed to.

It's hard for me because I LOVE the looks of the Zune 80 with its nice big screen - but realistically given that my Shuffle is primarily used for my commute (approx 45 min each way) - I have no idea how much I'd use it for video. However, I didn't think I'd use the Shuffle much but now it's always with me.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Herby wrote: »
    * Are there any other advantages in getting an iPod aside from the convenience of not having to migrate my music library? (I only have one album bought from Apple, everything else is mp3, so at least format is a non-issue)

Better accessory options (cases, etc) and the best $/GB ratio around. The 160GB Classic is a monster and I want one. Also free laser engraving if you order online. And I still think iTunes is the best music cataloging program I've ever used. Say what you will about it being used as a media player, but as far as library software goes, it's top notch.
    * Do the other players work directly with Windows Media Player or do they have their own library software?

Last I checked the Zune doesn't even do that. You have to use this other program that they developed specifically for it because there's this rule that says MP3 players have to come with the worst software you can imagine. And it pretty much satisfies that requirement with flying fucking colours from what I've seen of it.
    * Do the other players work well with Podcasts?

I wouldn't know about this. I don't think most of the other players have software on the computer side that do nearly as good a job with Podcasts as iTunes does, but as far as playback is concerned they're really just MP3s. It's the syndication and organization functionality in iTunes that really sets the iPods apart from the pack.

Personally, if you're looking at a large capacity player I don't think you can beat the 160 GB iPod Classic. If you're looking at a flash player maybe you can do better than the Nanos, I don't know because I'm not in that market. I'd probably stick with the iPod brand if I were though, just because the integration with the software I'd want to use to organize my music anyhow is so good and for all of its flaws, the UI is still pretty good. If someone else wants to change the music on my stereo or in my car I never have to explain to them how, even if they've never handled one before. That's kind of nice.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ToyD wrote: »

It's hard for me because I LOVE the looks of the Zune 80 with its nice big screen - but realistically given that my Shuffle is primarily used for my commute (approx 45 min each way) - I have no idea how much I'd use it for video. However, I didn't think I'd use the Shuffle much but now it's always with me.

I have an 80GB iPod video (5.5G) and I felt the same way when I got it a year and a half ago.

Here's the thing: I was about 98% right.

Sometimes when I'm at the gym and I'm having trouble staying motivated to complete a cardio set on the bike I'll put on an episode of Robot Chicken instead of listening to music. That makes the time pass much more neatly. I'd never sit there on a bus trying to watch TV on my iPod though, and I've never found a use for that functionality in any other setting.

I guess some people must, though.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The only time I use my video iPod for video is when I don't want to go through the hassle of finding Youtube when I'm around friends. As in, I put videos of my cats on my iPod and don't have to say "here, go to youtube, search for this, now click this, now it'll stream and make sure you have sound on." On the iPod it's there in 2 seconds.

But otherwise, I've even got a few freebie TV shows and I've never bothered to watch them. I've even got an Archos 420 PMP that has a big fat screen for video. I used it to, uh, sit on the couch and watch videos, with a big ol' TV right there. It eventually became relegated to picture-backup on trips, until we upgraded our CF cards to 2 gigs and never run out of space, and now it sits on a shelf unused. Maybe if I had a long commute, or had to sit at a car repair shop a lot, I'd get some more videos on it. But yeah, 99.9% of the time it's still just used for audio.

Now, having a nice color screen w/ album covers on it is a nice aesthetic touch, but that doesn't have to be super-hi-res on a huge screen.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    BerenBeren Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Only people with friends seem to use the video on the video Ipod. It's a strange phenomenon.

Beren on
    PS4: DarconvillesCat
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I decided to stick with flash based and get an 8 gig Nano - I could have saved 20-30 bucks by getting a different brand but in the end decided that I know and like iTunes and changing simply wasn't worth it just for features (larger video size and FM radio) that I would never use.

Got it refurbed from Apple for $169 which I felt was a good price - I got green.

Now I just have to wait for it to show up :(

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Beren wrote: »
    Only people with friends seem to use the video on the video Ipod. It's a strange phenomenon.

On the contrary, I use video on my iPod touch so that I don't have to share. It's great for long train rides where I don't want to deal with anyone. In the last two days I've watched Snatch, Boondock Saints and the first half of Shaun of the Dead while going back and forth from the city.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Creative Zen 16 soon, ditching my 5.5gen 30gig iPod. I've become fed up with being forced to use a program to stick music on my player and just want to drag and drop my neatly sorted folders. It's barely bigger than a Nano, with a bigger screen, more storage and it's cheaper. I just wish they were sold at retail so I could play with one before buying.

If I do get one, I'll post back how it is, but I won't be able to help you with any of your questions because I don't use any library software and just download mp3's of podcasts anyway.

theantipop on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eh, I don't even use iTunes. Winamp nowadays comes with full iPod support, so I use it (I also think it supports others, too). I've got an 80Gig 5.5, and honestly, I bring it with me everywhere. I rarely use the video part of it, but that's ok.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I use the Video on my 80GB classic a lot more than I ever thought I would. I actually watch a lot of video podcasts at lunch. The thing goes with me everywhere, and is mostly a music/podcast machine, but I love it.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm rather enjoying my 32GB Touch. To be honest, after the January Update, it's more akin to a PDA than just an MP3 player.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Eh, I don't even use iTunes. Winamp nowadays comes with full iPod support, so I use it (I also think it supports others, too). I've got an 80Gig 5.5, and honestly, I bring it with me everywhere. I rarely use the video part of it, but that's ok.

My point was that having to use a program other than Explorer or Finder or command prompt to move my files is unnecessary.

TBH, a 16gig Nano with Rockbox on it would be about the most perfect music player on god's green earth. But I'm not holding my breath.

theantipop on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm rather enjoying my 32GB Touch. To be honest, after the January Update, it's more akin to a PDA than just an MP3 player.

I'm curious, where do you primarily use the wifi enabled portions of your Touch? Also if you find wifi pervasive out and about, what city do you live in?

theantipop on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    theantipop wrote: »

I'm curious, where do you primarily use the wifi enabled portions of your Touch? Also if you find wifi pervasive out and about, what city do you live in?

Mainly at home and work (I have my work email keyed into my Touch, so I can check it on the fly, as well as having all my contacts on it.) The fact that it can sync with Outlook makes it very nice.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    MalvientMalvient Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love my Touch. Never even considered buying an iPod before the Touch, and I don't regret buying it at all. With homebrew, it's a little computer that happens to play music and video.

Malvient on
    EVE-Online: Eryx Terayen, Seraphal
    World of Warcraft - Calbert, Azjol-Nerub (PvE)
    syrairc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Mainly at home and work (I have my work email keyed into my Touch, so I can check it on the fly, as well as having all my contacts on it.) The fact that it can sync with Outlook makes it very nice.

Not to flame here, but why do you use the ipod versus your computer or laptop?

theantipop on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I'm not the one who you asked, but I similarly have my work and personal email on my Touch, and I use it a lot at home for web browsing. The reason is that it's usually in my pocket an instantly on. To check if I have any mail, I just press a button and swipe my finger. To check something really quick on a webpage, I either have a WebClip of what I normally read or a bookmark. It's just faster.

And it's easier to use one handed while in the bathroom. Someone had to say it.

Yes, while in the bathroom you sick fucks.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Options
    edited March 2008

Because:
    • Booting my laptop up takes a couple of minutes, looking at my mail on my Touch takes a couple of seconds.
    • My Touch is a LOT smaller than my laptop, so it's easier to carry around. (This was another reason I got it - it's nice to have for maintaining our network gear over the web interfaces.)
    • It's shiny.

Mainly, it's just really nice to be able to pull my Touch out, pull up Mail, and look over what mail I have. Or look up a contact's information. And I don't have to whip out a heavy, bulky laptop to do so.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Because:
    • Booting my laptop up takes a couple of minutes, looking at my mail on my Touch takes a couple of seconds.
    • My Touch is a LOT smaller than my laptop, so it's easier to carry around. (This was another reason I got it - it's nice to have for maintaining our network gear over the web interfaces.)
    • It's shiny.

Mainly, it's just really nice to be able to pull my Touch out, pull up Mail, and look over what mail I have. Or look up a contact's information. And I don't have to whip out a heavy, bulky laptop to do so.

That's the exact reason I got mine. Instead of carrying an iPod and a laptop, I can just carry an iPod. Now if it could sync with Thunderbird so I could carry my contacts, I'd be content.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well MediaMonkey alpha supports iPod touch, so a 32GB one is on its way. First I'll get my music up and running then I'll figure out what else the little bugger can do.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Well MediaMonkey alpha supports iPod touch, so a 32GB one is on its way. First I'll get my music up and running then I'll figure out what else the little bugger can do.

It can do everything.

Seriously, though, I'm surprised at all of the things this thin little sumbitch can do. I just found out yesterday that I can search for types of locations in the map app, and get directions and phone numbers. Turns out there are no coffee shops within 30 miles of my house, but it's a cool thing to have nonetheless. The only thing I wish it had was a word processing app besides the notes app. Well, that and a cell phone, but fuck AT&T.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Kreutz wrote: »

It can do everything.

Seriously, though, I'm surprised at all of the things this thin little sumbitch can do. I just found out yesterday that I can search for types of locations in the map app, and get directions and phone numbers. Turns out there are no coffee shops within 30 miles of my house, but it's a cool thing to have nonetheless. The only thing I wish it had was a word processing app besides the notes app. Well, that and a cell phone, but fuck AT&T.

Well, hopefully once the SDK is out, we'll see one made. I hope the MBU (Mac Business Unit, MS's Mac division) makes a light version of Word.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got a Shuffle recently. It's tiny, and more importantly, 1/3 the price of any other iPods.

Seeing as I just tend to use shuffle anyway lack of a screen isn't much of a handicap. Plus seems pretty rugged and hard to damage, useful in a gym/being clumsy.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So what you meant to say is "I didn't read this thread"

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I got my Zen 16gb yesterday along with an A-data 4gb Micro SDHC (confirmed to work fine with SD adapter). The thing is small, noticeably smaller than my 30gig 5.5g iPod, and VERY VERY light. It caught me offguard how light the thing is, but I guess that's what flash memory buys you.

First impressions had me focused on the display. It's the exact same size as the iPod classic, but the colors are much more vibrant and video seems at first glance to play a bit more smooth. On the interface and button layout, it could be improved with a few personal pet peaves (not being able to use left and right buttons to navigate forward and backward in menus) but overall it's very iPod-esque. The addition of the shortcut button makes it a transcendent leap past the iPod, imo. I have mine bound to the now playing screen, so I can go from any submenu straight to controlling the volume and/or track. Custom wallpapers are new for me and it's a fun little addition. Other little things like FM tuner, voice recording, track bookmarking and the like seem useful for some, although I doubt I'll use them much. Still nice additions over your traditional iPods.

I got frustrated when I realized that the Zen only supported Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), instead of Media Storage Device (MSC), which would basically make it a flash drive. When I first plugged it in, however, it acted pretty much the same as a flash drive in Explorer except it had no drive letter. This would have been fine, except I went ahead and installed the Creative software to see what it had to offer. Long story short, mostly useless crap with uninstallable offer and registration shit, and it wrecked this default plug-and-play behavior in Windows. When I removed it I couldn't get the thing to show up in Explorer. So I had to reinstall the basic package to get stuff on. I probably could have used another MTP compliant program but I couldn't fine one with a quick search (Windows Media Player works, but it's an Itunes like sync interface). I'm planning to switch to Linux with the April Ubuntu release and take solace in the fact that there's a well-supported library (libmtp) that will allow me to continue to use the thing.

Overall I think I got a good deal and feel like I will enjoy the device for a while to come. To answer some questions posed by the OP and that have popped up in the thread, the Creative software allows for Itunes migration specifically, although I didn't attempt it. It supports media transfer and syncing with anything that supports MTP, notably WMP and Mediamonkey. It had a "Zencast" software which on a cursory glance seemed to offer a very limited number of podcast subscriptions preset, although reviews of the Zen mention other podcast syncing software that is compatible; like I said I just download the mp3 and stick it on, so no firsthand experience there. Hope the review helps those seeking a new media player. I would definitely recommend the Zen for those looking for a smaller capacity device primarily for music, with occasional video viewing.

theantipop on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I should add that my Nano arrived last night and I love it in a way that's completely unnatural for a piece of hardware. It's simply amazing - video quality is much better than I'd expected, coverflow is awesome, especially if you have mostly complete albums in your collection, and it's shiny green. Thanks for the input from you folks, in the end the higher support for docks/accessories and podcasts won out over the alure of a bit more storage for the price.

I highly recommend the 3g Nano - it's a wonderful device.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I should add that my Nano arrived last night and I love it in a way that's completely unnatural for a piece of hardware. It's simply amazing - video quality is much better than I'd expected, coverflow is awesome, especially if you have mostly complete albums in your collection, and it's shiny green. Thanks for the input from you folks, in the end the higher support for docks/accessories and podcasts won out over the alure of a bit more storage for the price.

Coverflow is pretty, but actually pretty useless, especially on an iPod without a touch screen. It's cool to show your friends, but I'd never, ever actually use it to browse my music library.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

Coverflow is pretty, but actually pretty useless, especially on an iPod without a touch screen. It's cool to show your friends, but I'd never, ever actually use it to browse my music library.

You know, Cover Flow is even more useless on the iPod touch. It's one of the reasons I say that music playing is actually the weakest function of the touch (it's a little better on the iPhone since it has hardware volume controls). Just the fact that there's no fucking volume control in Cover Flow makes me angry at it. To change the volume I have to pick the damn thing up and turn it.

These days I've taken to placing it in its stand by just one corner the wall way and having it lean to one side (since the headphone jack is on the bottom).

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Options
    edited March 2008
    I'd like a way to disable cover flow. I walk around most of the day with the iTouch in my pocket, and every time I take it out to change tracks, I invariably have to tilt it until cover flow goes away. Don't even get me started on having to unlock it every time I want to change the volume.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Probably/ a really stupid question, but how do I put videos on my nano?
    :?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Using iTunes? The same way you put music from your library onto your iPod.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey guyyyys.
    I need some info on iPods really quick (like, right now) so sorry for not reading the thread.

-Can you use an iPod as a portable harddrive ( http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/windows/tutorial/segment102092b.html ) without iTunes?
    -Are there any problems with self-ripped mp3s?
    -Does read read the data structure? (as in: can you just copy a bunch of folders onto it and press play on one of the files in them and it will play all the tracks JUST in this folder?)
    -Is it easy to NOT use iTunes? (I really don't like it).

I'm specifically looking at an iPod touch 8GB right now, alternatively an iPod Classic 80GB for a similiar price.

Mayday on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd like a way to disable cover flow. I walk around most of the day with the iTouch in my pocket, and every time I take it out to change tracks, I invariably have to tilt it until cover flow goes away. Don't even get me started on having to unlock it every time I want to change the volume.

You can't double-click the home button to pull up ipod controls?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

It can do everything.

Woah, Woah, Woah. The touch has wireless internet and whatnot on it? Fuck me. I thought it was just an ipod with a few apps on it. It's basically an iphone without the phone part? Damnit all to hell. I JUST (4 days ago) bought an 80GB 5.5. I suppose it wouldn't really work in my area anyway since there is little to no wireless internet hotspots.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Crashtard wrote: »
    Woah, Woah, Woah. The touch has wireless internet and whatnot on it? Fuck me. I thought it was just an ipod with a few apps on it. It's basically an iphone without the phone part? Damnit all to hell. I JUST (4 days ago) bought an 80GB 5.5. I suppose it wouldn't really work in my area anyway since there is little to no wireless internet hotspots.

Yes, sorry man. I think you should read the Apple web site a bit more :/

Lewisham on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    Hey guyyyys.
    I need some info on iPods really quick (like, right now) so sorry for not reading the thread.

-Can you use an iPod as a portable harddrive ( http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/windows/tutorial/segment102092b.html ) without iTunes?
    -Are there any problems with self-ripped mp3s?
    -Does read read the data structure? (as in: can you just copy a bunch of folders onto it and press play on one of the files in them and it will play all the tracks JUST in this folder?)
    -Is it easy to NOT use iTunes? (I really don't like it).

I'm specifically looking at an iPod touch 8GB right now, alternatively an iPod Classic 80GB for a similiar price.

- Yes, but you have to enable it with iTunes, and it doesn't work with the Touch/iPhone.
    - No
    - No
    - Winamp does it I hear.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    NovaRevNovaRev Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »

You can't double-click the home button to pull up ipod controls?

You can, actually. It's not necessary to unlock the touch to control music. Some people would still prefer to have hardware controls though.

NovaRev on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mmmmm, I bought a 30gb white Zune. Thus far, I have to say, me LOVE LONG TIME. My wife has an 8g Ipod Nano, so I am not unfamiliar with it, but so far, i have to say I certainly feel zune is far superior in the software to sync with and use the darned thing.

I have not yet explored the avenues of other software to manage my zune, but with the apparently recent addition to support podcasts and the like, I feel, so far, that this software is far, FAR superior to what I've seen from iTunes.

Now, this doesn't mention the fact that I also feel the zune is a superior piece of hardware because I do, but that's another debate. Me likey.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png