As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Dark Heresy: Relic Hunters

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "How long ago did this happen?" inquires Dariel. "And where, exactly, were they found? In their rooms, or in the halls, or somewhere else?"

((And what does the fifth body look like?))

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "Are you sure it could not have been any natural cause? Where is your medicae? Should they not be making an appropriate examination of the entire body for signs?"

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    (Inquiry, despite its name, does not appear to be a direct questioning skill, at least not when engaging one individual already providing answers.)

Zam doesn't seem to need persuasion to answer in further detail.

"About three hours after your arrival the first one was found, Floor 20 downwards i recall, around the outer quarters. It was followed by the other two initiates within six or seven hours. All the initiates were found in their rooms, as they're almost always kept."

"Gojha's body was in a hallway, leading off from the green wards of the third floor downwards. He seems to have been died more than three hours after he was found, judging the condition of the body."

Zam reveals the fifth body while speaking. The middle-aged man underneath bears a chin full of stubble and A pair of black stars markings over each eye. the skin under them appears to be heavily scarred.

"Confounded skin-dying, it's impossible to remove such debasing marks." He mutters. "This one was discovered immediately after death; another Nameless one heard him screaming and found only the body lying in one of the librariums."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "Screaming?" Dariel raises an eyebrow. "Words, or just a cry of pain?" He examines the third victim more closely.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "No words, nothing comprehensible. Just screaming, it was said." Sholo answers.
    Elldren wrote: »
    "Are you sure it could not have been any natural cause? Where is your medicae? Should they not be making an appropriate examination of the entire body for signs?"

"I have made the examinations," says Brother Zam. "I am versed in the apothecary arts of the Imperium, and as I have determined there are no punctures of the skin, no broken bones nor displaced organs, not even hemorrhaging of the sensitive tissues. Were I to guess, everyone one of them died simply by immediate removal of their cognitive faculties or of the spirit itself."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "Hmm," Mira frowns, turning to Dariel and whispering, "there are existing poisons that can kill ones without leaving any trauma. It may have been one of those, and not a... spirit creature, but I am being suspicious of this entire station. It may be infected with something malign and need to be cleansed. We should leave for to inform the Inquisitor as soon as possible. It is uncomfortable and... difficult here."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Elldren wrote: »
    "Hmm," Mira frowns, turning to Dariel and whispering, "there are existing poisons that can kill ones without leaving any trauma. It may have been one of those, and not a... spirit creature, but I am being suspicious of this entire station. It may be infected with something malign and need to be cleansed. We should leave for to inform the Inquisitor as soon as possible. It is uncomfortable and... difficult here."

"It's possible a poison gas was filtered through the structure... that would explain why people on multiple levels in the same general area were affected. We should examine the schematics we borrowed with the tech priest," whispers back Dariel. "In any case, I agree we should report back to the Inquisitor. We have information on the station, and we're trying our welcome."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    (Mira does not have any skill in Drug Use to presume such poisons exist. I'd dismiss it as paranoid speculation, but combined with the mentions of secret/forbidden departments and her general out-of-place paranoia of the situation, I'm in the mood to deal out some insanity points.)

(Mira gains one Insanity point)

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Janan moves close to Dariel, her electronic voice buzzing at a very low volume.

++DARIEL REASON - SHOULD WE CONSIDER THE OPTION OF INFORMING FATHER HAOLOWN - AND BY EXTENSION BROTHER ZAM - OF OUR SUSPICION REGARDING THE PRESENCE OF A PSYCHER ABOARD THIS STATION++

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Janan moves close to Dariel, her electronic voice buzzing at a very low volume.

++DARIEL REASON - SHOULD WE CONSIDER THE OPTION OF INFORMING FATHER HAOLOWN - AND BY EXTENSION BROTHER ZAM - OF OUR SUSPICION REGARDING THE PRESENCE OF A PSYCHER ABOARD THIS STATION++

"They already suspect one is here, and they suspect it's one of us," Dariel says. "Look, right now our best bet is to go back to the Inquisitor with what we've got, and then come back, hopefully with some witch hunters."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "See how they hold their own council in front of us, Zam? They have no intent on proving their innocence because they are liars and deviants!" Sholo points out the acolytes' whisperings to Zam.

"Have you determined something, strangers?" Zam asks.

"They are content on holding their lies, brother. Their lies as much as their worldly lives. Do you still trust their innocence?"

A trio of plain monks enter the room, one of them approaches Haolown and mutters quietly to him, then leaves again.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "Brother Zam, you've come to the same conclusion that we have - we suspect witchcraft to be involved with these deaths," says Dariel. "However, we are not trained in the hunting of witches. Let us talk to our master, and he would be willing to put a witch hunter at your disposal, I'm sure of it."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Taking notice of departed trio of monks, Janan turns to the old man.

++FATHER HAOLOWN - HAS ANOTHER INCIDENT OCCURRED SOMEWHERE ELSE WITHIN THE STATION?++

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "Witch craft? Utter deluded nonsense..." Sholo chuckles a slow, chilly laugh to himself.

Zam steps up to Dariel. "Young man, while I think there is merit to your suggestions of an intruder, I fail to see the point of following your suggestion. By all appearances, this 'witch' has been brought aboard by your party, if not a member themself. I implore you, should you understand the nature of these deaths, to cooperate in our investigation."

"They don't know anything, they have no clue what they've done here." Sholo throws an open hand toward Janan Kyros. "How can they even try to grasp the poison is their identities and very souls? This won't go away by letting them leave."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    "They don't know anything, they have no clue what they've done here." Sholo throws an open hand toward Janan Kyros. "How can they even try to grasp the poison is their identities and very souls? This won't go away by letting them leave."

Janan's brows arch as her head snaps around to Sholo's direction, her electrically-generated words strain against a noisy gain building up within the vox synthesizer.

++THE PIETY OF MY DEVOTION WITHIN THE CULTUS MECHANICUS IS A VITAL COMPONENT TO THE SURVIVAL OF THE IMPERIUM++

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Zam steps up to Dariel. "Young man, while I think there is merit to your suggestions of an intruder, I fail to see the point of following your suggestion. By all appearances, this 'witch' has been brought aboard by your party, if not a member themself. I implore you, should you understand the nature of these deaths, to cooperate in our investigation."

"I said that I suspected this was the work of a witch, not of an intruder," Dariel says, looking Zam in the eyes. "It is quite possible that the person responsible has been here for some time, living amongst you."

"I'm sure you take offense at this postulation," Dariel says, looking at Brother Sholo. "But you cannot dismiss it outright."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "I dismiss it outright, child." Sholo retorts. "Your witch-finder ravings make it clear you haven't the slightest grasp of the mental training and vigor that this House stands for. Emperor damn you, you'd run in terror from your own shadow had none told you what it was!"
    Taking notice of departed trio of monks, Janan turns to the old man.

++FATHER HAOLOWN - HAS ANOTHER INCIDENT OCCURRED SOMEWHERE ELSE WITHIN THE STATION?++

The bearded monk turns his eyes directly at Kyros.

"WHAT YOU HATE AND FEAR MOST OF YOURSELF, NO MACHINE CAN REPLACE." He declares.

"ONE WHO HAS SEEN DEATH IS BEING BROUGHT HERE. HE WILL SPEAK OF IT TO ME."

"By the Emperor's fiery Judgment," Zam exclaims in released frustration. "Our reborn brother can shed some light on this matter. Was this one Nameless?"

"IT MATTERS NOT."

"I suppose Haolown can read them regardless." Sholo adds with a grumble.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Janan's simmering anger dissipates in the wake of Haolown's outburst.

++WHAT DID YOU SAY TO ME FATHER HAOLOWN++ she asks.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "I dismiss it outright, child." Sholo retorts. "Your witch-finder ravings make it clear you haven't the slightest grasp of the mental training and vigor that this House stands for. Emperor damn you, you'd run in terror from your own shadow had none told you what it was!"

"If you think you know how these people were killed, then say so plainly, and not in riddles."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "They speak only in riddles, for the entire duration of our visit to this place. It would be best to report back to our master for further investigation. That has been our mission here, and we are not instructed in the methods of uncovering the causes of these deaths. We should go, immediately."

Mira growls, thoroughly uncomfortable, especially by the strange whisperings in her own mind that caused her to make such wild speculations earlier.

"Where is Fellius? We should not be leaving our fellow acolyte to remain in this place."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "EMPTINESS REMAINS IN THE WOMAN; EMPTINESS SHALL REMAIN IN THE MACHINE," is the unmasked one's only further statement, to Janan.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

"If you think you know how these people were killed, then say so plainly, and not in riddles."

He leans forward, putting his gold skull mask within a foot of your face. He speaks in swift and biting hushed words.

"I'll tell you exactly what you are, you are what what is more than simply weak and lost like the rest out there: a heretic. You dreamed up this investigator persona, looking for the enemies of the Throne yet you don't even feel the Emperor, you know nothing of Him except in hollow words in a life of pride and of thieving and-"

Zam interrupts. "Enough, all of us. That's enough bickering for now, we're getting nowhere though this. Best wait for the witness to be brought here before we make further assumptions."

"The God-Emperor has learned you quite the radical sense of compromise, brother Zam." Says Sholo.

"It is a sense of calm and clarity, not compromise. I trust it was given to me with a purpose," Zam responds dryly.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "I was looking for him when I was summoned here," Dariel says to Mira. "I haven't seen him since he left the library to observe worship. Odd that Fellius was not brought here as well."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "Suspicious is a better word for it, Dariel."

Mira turns to face brother Zam. "Let us interrogate this witness then. If that has not shed further illumination on the matter, then I move that you allow us to report back to our master to send further investigators to assist you in your inquiries."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The two dyed-robed monks turn to glance at eachother with their painted wooden faces.

"You know the doom that will be brought to this Argent House should their corruption remain when the leave." Sholo mutters.

"I'll weight whomever the Imperium sends in their stead shall be more wrathful were we to burn them at the stake, whether it purges this evil or not." Zam remarks. "And they may truly be capable of dealing with it themselves."

Sholo turns to the acolytes. "We'll see."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Janan responds to Haolown.

++FATHER HAOLOWN - WHY DID YOU APPROACH OUR ASSOCIATE MIRA RAED'ALLEN AND SPEAK SIMILAR WORDS TO HER EARLIER IN THE INITIATE RESIDENCY?++

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    (Sorry for another nearly week-long delay; it's been a tiring week where I've either been busy or napping during the 8-10 o'clock time frame.)
    Janan responds to Haolown.

++FATHER HAOLOWN - WHY DID YOU APPROACH OUR ASSOCIATE MIRA RAED'ALLEN AND SPEAK SIMILAR WORDS TO HER EARLIER IN THE INITIATE RESIDENCY?++

Sholo turns and shoots a glance towards the Transmechanic. "Because he is the pinnacle of Human capacity whic hwe all strive for, although with a group such as yours it should be plain for all to read your shortcomings."

"Specifically," adds Zam, "Our brother Haolown, and those of his stature, have distanced themselves so completely from their past lives and experiences they have entirely remade themselves under the guidance of the God-Emperor..."

Just then the monk returns, with another in tow. This second monk is visibly shaking, head bowed and rubbing their hands together.

"This Speechless one has seen death, personified." Sholo declares dryly.

"BRING HIM TO ME, I SHALL LET HIM SPEAK," Haolown again speaks aloud.

The two monks walk across the room and stop in from of the unmasked Haolown. The frightened one kneels as the other plain monk holds back his wrists. Haolown places his hand on the kneeling monk's head and pulls back their cowl, revealing the long sandy blond hair on the back of their head.

"LOOK AT ME."

Zam remarks, "May I remind you, strangers, what you are about to see is not a trick of technology nor of magic, but purely the power of the mind. What you understand as identity, personality, and upbringing are little more than... 'facets' of the Human mind, tools in attempt to work and adapt in life. To all within the Argent House, we have remade these tools entirely in devotion to the Immortal Emperor. You should not be traveling through life unaware all tools made before Him are weapons; brutal, unforgiving, and unrelenting."

The monk, still distraught by whatever he previously experienced, slowly and reluctantly tilts his head up to face his unmasked superior.

"I AM HAOLOWN. BEFORE ME YOU ARE NOBODY. WITHOUT IDENTITY, WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE, WITHOUT WILL."

With one hand Haolown removes the monk's mask; the young man freezes as if paralyzed and looks back up in complete terror, twitching for several seconds unable to respond without his wooden visage.

Haolown leans downward, his bearded face within inches of the mortified young man. With one action he takes the wooden mask, places it over his own face, and utters a single word.

"speak."

The young monk flinches and drops his horrified expression. "I HEARD THE SCREAMS OF ANOTHER AS I ROAMED THE HALLS ABOVE HERE," his voice forcefully booms. "WHEN I FOUND THE SOURCE, I SAW THE DAEMON STANDING BEFORE THE NAMELESS ONE. IT WAS SHAPELESS, SOUNDLESS, JUST A MASS OF LIGHT. IT CHANGED ITSELF INTO THE FORM OF THE AGENT HOUSE ROBES AND MASK, IDENTICAL TO THE ONE BEFORE IT. THEN THE NAMELESS ONE COLLAPSED, HE MAY HAVE DIED. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DAEMON, IT WALKED AWAY AS I LOST CONTROL OF MY SENSES."

"Enough," spoke Haolown quietly. He removed his mask and placed it back over the young monk's face. "FORGET HAOLOWN, YOU ARE NO ONE AGAIN. FORGET YOUR FEARS." The again-speechless monk collapsed to the floor shivering.

Haolown stood to full height and turned back to face Zam and Sholo.

"It seems you have brought quite the beast with you, strangers," Zam immediately remarks.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Dariel stares at Haolown and the collapsed monk, mouth slightly open, obviously surprised by what just transpired and what was said.

He blinks and shakes his head slightly, then clears his throat, regaining his composure. "A daemon," he says, to no one in particular.

"Forgive me for my earlier accusations, Brothers," Dariel says to Zam and the other monks. "I would not dare suggest anyone of this House would knowingly consort with... daemons."

"Daemons," he says again, to himself. "Emperor preserve us."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "It is precisely what I suggested you brought to this house," Sholo said harshly. "Only I did not expect their corruption to manifest itself so concretely. Why do you suppose would it be made of 'light', Zam?"

"Perhaps that is natural form, and has been up until now. By the sound of it, this thing, whether we assume it to be death incarnate or being of witchcraft, is now in the form of flesh and clothing." Zam remarks.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ++BROTHER ZAM - BROTHER SHOLO++ Janan says to both men, ++THIS PARTY NEVER WOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING SO HEINOUS AND HERETICAL AS TO BRING A DAEMON INTO THE SACRED SANCTITY OF THIS ARGENT HOUSE++

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Dariel nods in agreement. "It is a direct contradiction of our duties as servants of the Imperium to have anything to do with daemons, save of course to exorcise them. And we should go consult with our master immediately, in order to best prepare to do just that."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mira bows slightly. "I am in full agreement with my fellow acolytes. It would be for the best if we were to return and report these occurrences to our master, as well as the nature of your house. I am afraid that if we do not return with our report that our master may well send a more... militant party to follow, under the assumption that something... difficult occurred to us."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ++THERE IS ONE CONSIDERATION IF WE INDEED CHOOSE TO CONTACT THE INQUISITOR AT THIS IMMEDIATE POINT++ Janan said to her two associates, ++THERE IS A PROBABILITY THAT THE INQUISITION - BASED ON REPORT OF A POSSIBLE DAEMON INHABITATION - MIGHT RULE IN HASTE TO SIMPLY RENDER THIS ARGENT HOUSE INCAPABLE OF SUPPORTING LIFE - OR DESTROY IT OUTRIGHT++

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "Well we can figure out what exactly we tell the Inquisitor on the way back. If we do not leave to report now, I am not sure we will get another chance," Dariel says to Janan and Mira. "And while we're talking about leaving... what about Fellius?"

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "The fate of our fellow acolyte Fellius is in the control of the holy Emperor, but the Argent ones are holding him, I would suspect. We will not be making any of the progress if we do not negotiate our release. I value our fellow Fellius, but we are three, and he is one, and I put more value in those numbers"

Mira turns to the Argent brothers.

"I am deeply sorry for conferring with my fellows in your presence. Please, continue, as I am having little experience with the ways of witchcraft."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Zam and Sholo exchange a few short whispers with eachother as the Inquisitorial agents debate.

(Making some skill checks...)

Janan Kyros:
    You pick up a few muttered sentences:
    "We don't even know these Unborn's real agenda..."
    "...a council should be held on the matter of the manifestation of death."

The two of them walk through the doorway of the makeshift morgue, taking the other monks (save for Haolown) with them.

"We are returning to the prayer hall just above here, we will be discussing our immediate actions on this matter," explains Zam.

Sholo sternly adds "See to us when you sort out your debate."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "Well, unless either of you have more questions for Brother Haolown, let us go to the prayer hall to tell Zam and Sholo that we are going to leave to talk to the Inquisitor," Dariel says. He thinks for a moment. "We'll say that Fellius will stay behind as a sign of our intent to return."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mira follows Zam and Sholo. "Let us go to do so then."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ++THEY STILL POSSESS DOUBT AS TO OUR TRUE INTENTIONS ON THIS ARGENT HOUSE++ Janan says to Dariel and Mira quietly as they depart the morgue. ++AND THE DAEMON IS OBVIOUSLY AT THE FOREFRONT OF THEIR CONCERN++

She pauses to spit a quick message to her servo-skull.

++WHATEVER WE INFORM THEM - WE SHOULD BE PREPARED THAT THEY MAY INTERPRET IT AS INTERFERENCE TO THEIR ACTIONS++

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The three acolytes return to the expansive hall where they were first accused of corruption. The large number of identically-dressed monks are now merely sitting, with over a dozen standing and pacing the floor.

Sholo and Zam are speaking with the other uniquely-dressed light blue monk from earlier, along with a fourth in yellow-orange robes. This last one is very thin in build and without a mask.

His unmasked face- long, lean, and very dark in pigmentation, is surprisingly youthful. He head is hairless and his pale yellow eyes stare focused on the newly-arrived strangers.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "Er, hello," Dariel says, nodding to the new monk. He looks at Zam. "Has something else happened?" he asks.

DarkPrimus on