As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Super Smash Bros. BRAWL- The wait is over!

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey whoa I just noticed

ZSS's side tilt can actually be aimed up, middle, or down. Huh.

Lemming on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I guess this is probably what the Kirby fans felt like in Melee. I understand now.

Elendil on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I feel like Nintendo is actively trying to make me break something. I wouldn't have cared if my friend's disc didn't work, but it fucking worked fine yesterday. This is fucking bullshit.

Does your disc work on your friend's Wii? If yes, then why not trade discs?

Rainfall on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lemming wrote: »
    Hey whoa I just noticed

ZSS's side tilt can actually be aimed up, middle, or down. Huh.

Lots of side tilts can be aimed like that, even in Melee.

It was a looong time before I noticed that.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I feel like Nintendo is actively trying to make me break something. I wouldn't have cared if my friend's disc didn't work, but it fucking worked fine yesterday. This is fucking bullshit.

Have you tried resetting the console, trying a different game, and even just putting it in and taking it out over and over?

It seemed to help if I both restarted my Wii and tried a different game. The first time it happened a reset work, the second time putting in another game then resetting worked.

Lemming on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ugh, I just got done hosting a game with Bibb and Snugg, the first couple matches were lag free, but that last one, man alive it was horrendous. First time it's ever been so bad for me. Other than that, solid game guys.

I'm gonna throw out a 2-on-2 request again, any takers?

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    I guess this is probably what the Kirby fans felt like in Melee. I understand now.

They made Peach weird. I'm not good with her anymore :(

On the upside, Samus smaaaaash

Lemming on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Which stages do you have to play through to get Ganondorf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff in SSE?

You get Ganondorf near the very end of the game.

As for the other two, you need to beat SSE first to be able to fight them as well as Wolf. Their locations are as follow.

Toon Link - The Forest: Very first door you encounter.
    Jigglypuff - The Swap: In the water area through the first door.
    Wolf - The Ruins: At the bottom of the descending platform that has huge spikes on both ends.

I've already beaten it and still have no Ganon. At one point it looked like I was about to get him, but then Bowser jumped out, beat the shit out of his trophy, and blasted it off into the void.
    You see him again in SSE, you know.

Uh, I didn't. That was the last I saw of him.

Here's what I stole from GameFAQs:

1. Play 200 VS matches, then beat him in a match.

2. Beat Classic Mode on Hard difficulty with Link or Zelda, then
    beat him in a match.

3. Have Ganondorf join your party in the Subspace
    Emissary (Stage 30, keep Link and Zelda alive).

I'm guessing by keep alive he means get their trophies while you're Kirby.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I left to turn off my rumble, and now I can't get into any games. :cry:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    Anybody know of any alternate ways to clean the Wii's laser lens without sending it in to Nintendo? My friend's copy worked fine on my Wii but now that I got my own it won't read and I really don't want to be Wii-less for nine days.

I've tried various ways of cleaning mine (despite Nintendo's warning not to) and they've all failed.

I feel your pain. :cry:

That sucks and everything, but why would you attempt to fix a technical issue yourself when, to my knowledge anyway, there hasn't been a technical explanation of the problem other than 'it's the laser lens?'

They said it is because of a dirty laser lens. So I tried cleaning it! I didn't open it up or anything, basically all I did was push the little slot door open and spray some air in it.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Which stages do you have to play through to get Ganondorf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff in SSE?

As for the other two, you need to beat SSE first to be able to fight them as well as Wolf. Their locations are as follow.

Wolf - The Ruins: At the bottom of the descending platform that has huge spikes on both ends.

At least now I'm getting my ass kicked by Toon Link more often

I cannot beat that asshole

The last match, it looked like I was going to win for a bit when that thing popped out of the floor and hit him in the face, but he got the smash ball AGAIN and killed me

I am almost in tears here

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Huh. I guess you can miss him.

I wonder how you unlock that cutscene later on, then.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah hell with it, a few more fights!

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »

The last match, it looked like I was going to win for a bit when that thing popped out of the floor and hit him in the face, but he got the smash ball AGAIN and killed me

Oh god, Toon Link is a gigantic raging douche. I lost to him at least five times. A lot of it was bullshit, too. Him getting the smash ball, or a crate mysteriously hurtling across the stage killing me instantly, or a party ball dropping five Bob-ombs in front of me.

It was hell.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »

My best advice is to cheese your way through it. Just choose Link and keep smashing him. Then do up-special to send him flying.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hm, according to GameFAQs you have to have both Zelda and Link in your party on the stage you unlock Ganon on to trigger him.

So, which stage is it?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TurretTurret Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Baaaah I can't join anything ;_;

Turret on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    30 or 29.

Honestly the best way to do it is beat classic on hard with zelda.

Anyone know the names of the stages toon link, wolf, and puff appear? I need to 100% SSE.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    30 or 29.

Anyone know the names of the stages toon link, wolf, and puff appear? I need to 100% SSE.

The Forest, The Ruins, and The Swap respectively.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    30 or 29.

Forest, Ruins, and Swamp, respectively.

Edit: Devilry!

Elendil on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    ugh that was painful

I got one-hit KO'd by someone picking up the Lin assist trophy

and then while I was dying a Smash ball spawned, Toon Link got it

I respawn, he Triforce OHKOs me

Bam! Two stock deficit. :(

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Fuck you, Toon Link

It's not so fun when I get the smash ball, is it

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hm, according to GameFAQs you have to have both Zelda and Link in your party on the stage you unlock Ganon on to trigger him.

So, which stage is it?

To unlock that character:
    It's the stage right before the last one. You'll know it's the stage because
    you need to collect trophies of all of the characters in Subspace so far. Make sure you pick up Link and Zelda and you'll get Ganondorf.

Also: I found it was easiest to just beat SSE and get the extra three characters, then unlock the stages through events/playing vs. matches on specific stages w/ specific characters. I unlocked everything on launch day that way.

Walt on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Let's play now. Add me up. FC is in my sig, and I'll add the FCs from people who have been posting in the past few minutes. Aw jeah! It's the breakdown!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm pretty sure that all these troubles reading the discs stem from Nintendo being desperate to end the Wii shortage while demand was still hot and accepting drive parts that were maybe not up to par in terms of quality, specifically their ability to read dual layer discs. I mean, at the time, Nintendo had axed DVD playback and no games had used dual layer discs. It probably seemed like a good decision at the time. Perhaps Smash was intended to be a single layer game and fairly late in the development process, Sakurai sort of sprung it on them, unaware of the situation.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure the problem is not a "dirty lens" so much as it is a defective one. Wiis fresh out of the box have failed to read the game. Some can read it intermittently or can read one brawl disc and not another. That doesn't scream "dirty lens" to me, it screams "low quality lens".

It's baffling that Nintendo has called it a dirty lens. That's just asking for people to break their Wiis trying to fix it and play the most anticipated title to date.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lemming wrote: »

Have you tried resetting the console, trying a different game, and even just putting it in and taking it out over and over?

It seemed to help if I both restarted my Wii and tried a different game. The first time it happened a reset work, the second time putting in another game then resetting worked.
    I tried resetting it and putting it in and taking it out ad infinitum but didn't try putting in another game and then putting Brawl back in. I'll give it a shot at least.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Good games whoever I was facing.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

So, which stage is it?

I can also confirm for you that beating Classic on Hard with Link or Zelda unlocks him. I used Zelda, and it was rather easy, even for my sub-par skills. Just crank your lives to 5 and be prepared to continue once or twice and you'll get him.

Of course, be prepared to cry crocodile tears if you lose to him, because you'll have to do it all over again.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    NeenjahNeenjah she/her Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm pretty sure that all these troubles reading the discs stem from Nintendo being desperate to end the Wii shortage while demand was still hot and accepting drive parts that were maybe not up to par in terms of quality, specifically their ability to read dual layer discs. I mean, at the time, Nintendo had axed DVD playback and no games had used dual layer discs. It probably seemed like a good decision at the time. Perhaps Smash was intended to be a single layer game and fairly late in the development process, Sakurai sort of sprung it on them, unaware of the situation.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure the problem is not a "dirty lens" so much as it is a defective one. Wiis fresh out of the box have failed to read the game. Some can read it intermittently or can read one brawl disc and not another. That doesn't scream "dirty lens" to me, it screams "low quality lens".

It's baffling that Nintendo has called it a dirty lens. That's just asking for people to break their Wiis trying to fix it and play the most anticipated title to date.

That would seem very possible. I have a launch Wii and it played Brawl no problem the first time I put it in.

Neenjah on
    Sokhatai Angura is my FFXIV char!
    @Awjeah :V
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Toon Link is Spam City. That Air Down+A is hax.

Which is why I love using him. :P

Good matches Varega and Oboro, despite them being laggy as hell. Can't stay up longer since I have a midterm first thing in the morning. Ah school, why must you torment me? The deal was that there'd be no hard stuff after Brawl's release.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm pretty sure that all these troubles reading the discs stem from Nintendo being desperate to end the Wii shortage while demand was still hot and accepting drive parts that were maybe not up to par in terms of quality, specifically their ability to read dual layer discs. I mean, at the time, Nintendo had axed DVD playback and no games had used dual layer discs. Perhaps Smash was intended to be a single layer game and fairly late in the development process, Sakurai sort of sprung it on them, unaware of the situation.

That makes sense, because my Wii was repaired just a few months ago. They claimed they replaced the entire disc drive.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ...that worked

Lemming, I owe you a sloppy blowjob. No, TWO sloppy blowjobs.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So while most of the matches with PA folk were a bit sluggish from lag, I just came from a bunch of fights from my friend who lives a few blocks away, and everything was smooth as silk. Every once in a while we'd get booted off, but other than that it was fine. MarioG popped in for a few fights though, and the very first match things screeched to a halt, but eventually it evened itself out and was really playable from there. Well, until we got kicked again that is.

This game is going to rock when either the servers are up full time, or a bunch of the casual crowd get bored of the game and lighten the load.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Neenjah wrote: »

That would seem very possible. I have a launch Wii and it played Brawl no problem the first time I put it in.

I have a launch Wii and it haets Brawl.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    PandiosPandios Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    so do both people need to have their codes in to interract?

Im up for some fighting but I dont want to add codes in to people that wont add me if thats the case.

So lets do this on a one at a time basis, who wants to brawl?

Pandios on
    Pokemon Diamond FC: 2535 0092 4159

BRAWL: 4768-7107-9123
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Question is though, why lie about it? It's not like Nintendo has ever been deceptive on such matters. And the damage is done anyways, it doesn't really lessen the blow to change defective lens to dusty lens.

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ...that worked

Man. I tried that and it didn't work. I tried putting in every game I had handy, which included two 360 games and a PS2 game. Nothing made Brawl work. :(

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ohramius.JPG

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ...that worked

Man. I tried that and it didn't work. I tried putting in every game I had handy, which included two 360 games and a PS2 game. Nothing made Brawl work. :(

Alright, I didn't want to say this, because it's kind of drastic, but it's never failed me before:
    rub your dick on it

Also, fuck Lucario right in his stupid fucking face he sucks god dammit fuck him fuck him dammit

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Question is though, why lie about it? It's not like Nintendo has ever been deceptive on such matters. And the damage is done anyways, it doesn't really lessen the blow to change defective lens to dusty lens.

"Some people have dirty, dusty or smoky homes" sounds better than "we used sub-standard parts in order to make more consoles available / get repairs done more quickly".

mntorankusu on
This discussion has been closed.