As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Super Smash Bros. BRAWL- The wait is over!

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Huh, noticed special thanks to Suda 51 in the credits.

OMG when you finish SSE you go through like 30 "You unlocked _____" windows. lol

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The default brawl controls are awful. I remapped the gcn controls as fast as I could. A jumps, X and Y are regular attacks, B is special, and up jumping is turned off.

Works a billion times better,

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    steve-o99steve-o99 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdsTf_igoc4&eurl=http://smashbrawlrankings.com/index.php?topic=1249.0

2:05...

we have a winner, that is all
    that just isn't even fair...

steve-o99 on
    Max sig size 500x80px <3 Moe
    modernguilt-tag-330x150.jpg
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
    Brawl: 4983-4625-3928
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Woot. Just finished SSE. (Well, not 100%, but I'll be heading back for that soon.)

I'm going to guess that Sonic's placement in the game shows a rather late inclusion, I would assume.

In the last interview with Sakurai, they said the roster was decided when development began. Sonic was not in it. They added him in mid 2007.

And with the early showing of some of the SSE cutscenes, I'm guessing the story was pretty much laid out at that point.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Woot. Just finished SSE. (Well, not 100%, but I'll be heading back for that soon.)

I'm going to guess that Sonic's placement in the game shows a rather late inclusion, I would assume.

In the last interview with Sakurai, they said the roster was decided when development began. Sonic was not in it. They added him in mid 2007.

And with the early showing of some of the SSE cutscenes, I'm guessing the story was pretty much laid out at that point.

Really they should of just swapped Kirby with Sonic. Would of made SSE 100000000000000 times more epic.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How dare you? Kirby will not be swapped. He has a legacy.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So

Does "Basic Brawl" under With Anyone ever work

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people don't know about the ability to customize controls.

It's amazing that when you start a new SSE game, you're given a screen to choose a profile, and don't have the ability to create one right there on the spot.

You can select your profile after you already started SSE. Here's how:

Enter SSE Mode
    Select Continue (as opposed to New, obviously)
    Select your save file
    On the map screen, press B (I'm using Nunchuck+remote, it may be different for you. Basically, you want to press the button that is in the bottom left)
    Scroll over to the left button, if you have no name it will read P1, I assume. Select it with A
    Scroll to the profile you want to use and press A.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    I'm getting a lot of artifacts on my Wii, and it looks like it's a system problem. I only noticed it when switching to the HDTV. Gonna hook it up to the BIG one we have in the living room and compare.

If it shows up on that TV...the question is finding a decent time to ship the Wii to Nintendo...

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    So

I had 1 match, and it was laggy to the point of being unplayable.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    So

I tried last night for a while and couldn't get it to

steve-o99 on
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The default brawl controls are awful. I remapped the gcn controls as fast as I could. A jumps, X and Y are regular attacks, B is special, and up jumping is turned off.

I don't see how it goes from awful to awesome with attack and jump swapped. The default controls are great, you just need to turn off the tap up to jump thing.

Lemming on
  • Options
    BedigumxBedigumx Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anybody know if there is a way to turn off certain stages when choosing Random Stage Select? I know you could do it in Melee, but did they drop that option in Brawl?

Also, how do you get Snake's codecs to show up?

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What the hell. Subspace Emissary turned into a Castlvania game all of a sudden.

An entire Castlevania game.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Bedigumx wrote: »
    Anybody know if there is a way to turn off certain stages when choosing Random Stage Select? I know you could do it in Melee, but did they drop that option in Brawl?

You need to get 200 KOs in Brawls (Special Brawls do not count) so you can unlock additional rules. Then you have to beat Classic Mode on Hard.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah that's the part that sucks.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lemming wrote: »

I don't see how it goes from awful to awesome with attack and jump swapped. The default controls are great, you just need to turn off the tap up to jump thing.

It makes sense to have jump centralized. I can very easily hit jump and attack or jump and special at the same time. It's the same way genesis controls were usually set up, with the jump button in the middle.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    alright i must be stupid but this is the second wii game i played and the first online. where the fuck do i find my friend code for brawl? it showed me the first time i connected but i didnt pay attention and nowwont show it anymore

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Weird, I did three with anyone matches and had no problems.

I did have so lag-tastic matches yesterday, however.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I guess with daylight savings back in progress, Dojo updates have returned to midnight PST, eh.

...well *I* still enjoy reading them at least. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Snake's codecs can be done with Snake on the Shadow Moses stage by mashing up and down taunts, just like changing from Samus to Zero Suit Samus mid-match.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I guess with daylight savings back in progress, Dojo updates have returned to midnight PST, eh.

...well *I* still enjoy reading them at least. :)
    We all enjoyed them. Obviously interest dropped off when the game was released, but he still has a charming writing style.

And the screenshot update was enjoyed by many.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, anyone want to Brawl?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    TediakTediak Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, anyone want to Brawl?
    Added.

Tediak on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Snake's codecs can be done with Snake on the Shadow Moses stage by mashing up and down taunts, just like changing from Samus to Zero Suit Samus mid-match.

that does not work for me for some reason. Which is more likely: Do you have to be like inhumanly fast, do it for like a minute, or is it hella precise and i just over-mash it???

steve-o99 on
    The_Scarab wrote:
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    steve-o99 wrote: »

that does not work for me for some reason. Which is more likely: Do you have to be like inhumanly fast, do it for like a minute, or is it hella precise and i just over-mash it???

Well, first make sure you're playing on Shadow Moses, and you're playing as Snake vs only one opponent (maybe it works with others, but I only tried it with one). You have to be extremely fast... I'm not sure it matters if you accidentally mash a side-taunt in there as well. I tend to put one finger from each hand on d-pad up and down, then alternately press as fast as I can. It worked less reliably if I just used my thumb and tried to "rub it out". It usually takes me a good 10-15 seconds of mashing before it will work.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    updownup.

Like that. Should take two seconds once you know how to do it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    canemaquiluscanemaquilus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I fucking despise this game because my roomates way better than me at it. Fuck this game.

PS: Any tips for link? I played pit for a while but someone stole my character and its really gay to play against yourself.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    PS: Any tips for link?
    Play as Toon Link.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JellyMeetsJamJellyMeetsJam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    supsace whatever gets old, really fast

nintendo, i appreciate the effort but at least the last adventure mode was SHORT

two and half hours and i'm a fourth through it? hrgggg

JellyMeetsJam on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    supsace whatever gets old, really fast

nintendo, i appreciate the effort but at least the last adventure mode was SHORT

two and half hours and i'm a fourth through it? hrgggg

I really don't get people complaining that adventure mode is lengthy. Stop trying to rifle through it in a day and it won't seem so fucking long.

I love the fact that it's a lengthy addition to the game. It's a great co-op experience, especially when you have people who don't really like fighting games but you want to play brawl

Figgy on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    how do you open up the event matches after 20?

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I got some from getting all characters.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's probably been answered, but this thread is ass-long and I've been playing all weekend. I just beat SSE and have a completion of 87%. How do I get that other 13%? And what's the deal with some maps with the weird glowy thing instead of the flag? I assumed it meant I'd missed something, but I went back to the very first glowing map (Skyworld) and couldn't find anything. What's the dealie-o?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    After several matches, I've realized that my total lack of experience with previous smash games puts me at an extreme disadvantage. I hop into a game to spend 2 out of the 3 stocks plummeting to my doom because I jumped there myself. And that's on a good match.

If you find yourself like me, an extreme rookie in need of severe practice with like-skilled individuals, send me a PM. I'm going to post the names and friend codes of our little group of newbies in this post. So, if you want to have a few rookie players on your list to practice with before stepping it up to the big leagues (aka, everyone else in this thread), send me a PM with your profile name and friend code.

Rookie Smashers

b]Forum Name[/b] [i]Profile Name[/i] [b]Friend Code[/b] [i]Location[/i][/size

Figgy Nate 4038-5676-0332 Burlington, ON, Canada
    Raiden333 Unknown Profile 3351-3751-2809
    IdolNinja Idol 2878-9300-8742 West Coast, Las Vegas NV

The list of skill-less wannabes is growing! PM me your info and add the names on the list. We need to band together... perhaps all of our skill combined will equal the strength of one average player.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    It's probably been answered, but this thread is ass-long and I've been playing all weekend. I just beat SSE and have a completion of 87%. How do I get that other 13%? And what's the deal with some maps with the weird glowy thing instead of the flag? I assumed it meant I'd missed something, but I went back to the very first glowing map (Skyworld) and couldn't find anything. What's the dealie-o?

You've got it backwards. Glowy thing(it's a crown) means you DID get everything, flag means you DIDN'T.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    After several matches, I've realized that my total lack of experience with previous smash games puts me at an extreme disadvantage. I hop into a game to spend 2 out of the 3 stocks plummeting to my doom because I jumped there myself. And that's on a good match.

If you find yourself like me, an extreme rookie in need of severe practice with like-skilled individuals, send me a PM. I'm going to post the names and friend codes of our little group of newbies in this post. So, if you want to have a few rookie players on your list to practice with before stepping it up to the big leagues (aka, everyone else in this thread), send me a PM with your profile name and friend code.

Rookie Smashers

The list of skill-less wannabes is growing! PM me your info and add the names on the list. We need to band together... perhaps all of our skill combined will equal the strength of one average player.

I'm decently used to the game, but I still suck. Can I play with you guys at some point and see what happens?

yalborap on
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

I got some from getting all characters.

I'm sure getting through Subspace can open up more, but my friend got all the events after unlocking characters and never touching SSE, so you can go either route.

And Houk, it's the other way around. The crowns are complete levels, and flags mean you missed something.

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    Read the Dojo.

I'm tired of answering questions that are RIGHT THERE.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Rookie Smashers

Sorry, my profile name is my IRL name, "Ollie", and my location is to the left.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
This discussion has been closed.