As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Super Smash Bros. BRAWL- The wait is over!

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I read only a few scattered pages here.

No one likes SSE? Some of the platforming may be a bit bad at times, but it's not that bad. I made it pretty close to the end (at least, what I thought was close to the end), then had to stop on the Japanese version, and I haven't made it that far on the US version yet. The cinemas are really great and the mode is about as good as can be expected from a fighting game.

I guess people just expected too much of it. I think it's a very good addition to the Brawl formula.

I only got to play the first few levels, but I was basically amazed by it. I think the fighting engine works really well for a beat'em up like this.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    90% of the times I died in SSE, I bitched at the game because it was way too cheap of a death. It was always me falling down a pit thinking I was supposed to go downwards, or due to screen scrolling (Huzzah for the mine cart of doom, as others have already mentioned)

And I should mention, I still love it for the most part, but I'm saved right before the start of the maze so that may change.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Elendil wrote: »

No one likes SSE? Some of the platforming may be a bit bad at times, but it's not that bad. I made it pretty close to the end (at least, what I thought was close to the end), then had to stop on the Japanese version, and I haven't made it that far on the US version yet. The cinemas are really great and the mode is about as good as can be expected from a fighting game.

I guess people just expected too much of it. I think it's a very good addition to the Brawl formula.
    I enjoyed it, mostly. It was overlong and had a few sore spots though (and one very large one at the end).

I also really liked the cutscenes. Especially the ones with Dedede.
    No, the best cutscene is when (Link/Mario)
    Link almost kills Mario because it looked like he took out Zelda. That was awesome. And entirely too short.

Graviija on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok looks like my router is completely borked, so I'll be in the market for a new one~ What a pain in the ass.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Graviija wrote: »

I enjoyed it, mostly. It was overlong and had a few sore spots though (and one very large one at the end).

Link almost kills Mario because it looked like he took out Zelda. That was awesome. And entirely too short.

See, my favorite one was
    When Fox and Sheik look ready to kick eachother's ass, then Peach just hands Fox tea and Sheik already has a cup.

It was just so out of left field that I loved it.

yalborap on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

The maze was evil and satanic.

The rest kicked ass.

Really I enjoyed most of it, cept when you got those cheap enemies who could rack up 150% damage on you without you being able to freaking move.

Also the maze blows monkey balls.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    After several matches, I've realized that my total lack of experience with previous smash games puts me at an extreme disadvantage. I hop into a game to spend 2 out of the 3 stocks plummeting to my doom because I jumped there myself. And that's on a good match.

If you find yourself like me, an extreme rookie in need of severe practice with like-skilled individuals, send me a PM. I'm going to post the names and friend codes of our little group of newbies in this post. So, if you want to have a few rookie players on your list to practice with before stepping it up to the big leagues (aka, everyone else in this thread), send me a PM with your profile name and friend code.

Rookie Smashers

b]Forum Name[/b] [i]Profile Name[/i] [b]Friend Code[/b

Figgy Nate 4038-5676-0332

Count me in for some rookie action. I'm not very good but having so damn much fun I've been grinning all day/night. <3

PM on its way.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    NeenjahNeenjah she/her Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

And then how they magically forgive each other. It's funny how it only takes a couple of blows to the head for everyone to start giving handshakes...

Neenjah on
    Sokhatai Angura is my FFXIV char!
    @Awjeah :V
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    90% of the times I died in SSE, I bitched at the game because it was way too cheap of a death. It was always me falling down a pit thinking I was supposed to go downwards, or due to screen scrolling (Huzzah for the mine cart of doom, as others have already mentioned)

And I should mention, I still love it for the most part, but I'm saved right before the start of the maze so that may change.
    The Great Maze is mostly just really long.

Elendil on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So who you guys playing as?

I like Ike a lot, but I've got to learn how to adapt to him. I generally prefer quicker characters, and I'm finding I leave myself open way to much. But fuck, it's all worth it when you hit and send the other three players flying.

Pokemon Trainer is also great in my book. I really want to learn him better, love Ivysaur.

Metaknight looks like a character I can really get into. I dig his speed.

Shamus on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I love this game and all, but does anyone else find it hard as nails? I'm playing through with my gf and neither one of us is a slouch at the vidja games, but we find ourrselves getting incredibly frustrated and annoyed during both SSE and Co-op events.

Are we crazy?

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Well, I haven't played this section of the game on the JP version or the US version. I guess it's closer to the end than I got.

I've really loved all the cinemas so far, and the boss fights have been pretty memorable. I'm looking forward to seeing speed runs of SSE in a few months.

EDIT - I still haven't unlocked Wolf yet, but other than that unknown, I'm finding all the voiceovers to be basically perfect with their character design. I'm not annoyed by any of them. Pit's voice is a lot deeper than that one video on Youtube would suggest, and Ike's monotonous drawl seems fitting with the character design and is fitting when you hear the other sound effects/music to go along with it.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Well, I haven't played this section of the game on the JP version or the US version. I guess it's closer to the end than I got.

I've really loved all the cinemas so far, and the boss fights have been pretty memorable. I'm looking forward to seeing speed runs of SSE in a few months.

I honestly doubt that the speed run community will take an interest in brawl

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Guys.

Fuck SSE.

I'm about to say "fuck it" to unlocking the extra chars. I cannot handle flatforming with Brawl's default controls. If it was just side-scrolling beat 'em up, it'd be fine, but I already have problems with Up Jump, and you want me to have precise aerial control while enemies are attacking and the level is scrolling itself? Fuck that noise.

SSE is not fun, the story is not interesting, and the cutscenes are not worth the loading time.

imo.

Houn on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »

The maze was evil and satanic.

The rest kicked ass.

Really I enjoyed most of it, cept when you got those cheap enemies who could rack up 150% damage on you without you being able to freaking move.

Also the maze blows monkey balls.

Alright, i'm sure it's already been asked a million times before, but i'm stuck in that maze.

I have no idea where to go and I feel like i've been everywhere. I finally found this wierd room with a bunch of trophies in it (there was this big blue arrow pointing to the door), but I can't do anything in there. There's just a bunch of trophies in the background.

Can anyone help?

Godfather on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Neenjah wrote: »

And then how they magically forgive each other. It's funny how it only takes a couple of blows to the head for everyone to start giving handshakes...

Clearly you've never seen every anime series ever.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    FroggyPFroggyP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

EDIT - I still haven't unlocked Wolf yet, but other than that unknown, I'm finding all the voiceovers to be basically perfect with their character design. I'm not annoyed by any of them. Pit's voice is a lot deeper than that one video on Youtube would suggest, and Ike's monotonous drawl seems fitting with the character design and is fitting when you hear the other sound effects/music to go along with it.

Speed running SSE seems hard as half the game it seems is slow auto sidescrolling sections. Still if pulled off I'd say it'd still be pretty cool

FroggyP on
    PSN: AnalogSoul
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Or even just a cup of tea.

So, about Snake's C4. Is there some magical way to not have it stick onto yourself? The last fight I had, I kept setting it down on flat ground, then when I go to blow it up, I magically explode like an idiot. This happened like 5 times in a row. I think I killed myself doing it. I'm just wondering how the heck I'm dropping it on myself.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

My favorite cutscene is probably
    Dedede giving Kirby a hug

It is the most adorable thing I have ever seen in a video game

It's more adorable than some kittens sleeping on some puppies

And also the Halberd and the lasers and shit

Elendil on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love brawling with you guys. None of you play like asshats, which is very refreshing for an online game.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Argh, fuck this maze!

Godfather on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, about Snake's C4. Is there some magical way to not have it stick onto yourself? The last fight I had, I kept setting it down on flat ground, then when I go to blow it up, I magically explode like an idiot. This happened like 5 times in a row. I think I killed myself doing it. I'm just wondering how the heck I'm dropping it on myself.

Not sure how you're doing that. I know if you drop it right next to another player you place it on them and it works like a sticky bomb. Whoever touches that person has it stuck to them.

Vray on
  • Options
    NeenjahNeenjah she/her Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Guys.

Fuck SSE.

I'm about to say "fuck it" to unlocking the extra chars. I cannot handle flatforming with Brawl's default controls. If it was just side-scrolling beat 'em up, it'd be fine, but I already have problems with Up Jump, and you want me to have precise aerial control while enemies are attacking and the level is scrolling itself? Fuck that noise.

SSE is not fun, the story is not interesting, and the cutscenes are not worth the loading time.

imo.

Did you know you could just go to Settings, make a new profile, and then change "Tap Jump" off? Doing this, the control stick no long controls jumping, and you can press X or Y to jump. Makes it lot easier, in my opinion.

Neenjah on
    Sokhatai Angura is my FFXIV char!
    @Awjeah :V
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Good matches Red, its bed time lol <3. Your pretty good with DeDeDe, but I am also TERRIBLE at Wolf, I just like the Howl. Ike is such an easy character to play, whenever someone breaks him out I feel like going him and dominating. It doesn't even matter what attack you use as long as you connect.. gaah. So much fun to play though.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Guys.

Fuck SSE.

imo.

Did you know you could just go to Settings, make a new profile, and then change "Tap Jump" off? Doing this, the control stick no long controls jumping, and you can press X or Y to jump. Makes it lot easier, in my opinion.

I started SSE before I knew about making profiles, so I either have to suffer with default controls, or start over from scratch. :P

Houn on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Good games, Crumbly. I think you got the best of me overall, although I got a little macho after getting a few wins with Dedede. Haha.

For some reason I want to try using Yoshi more.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's amazing how many people don't know about the ability to customize controls.

Opty on
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Guys.

Fuck SSE.

imo.

Yeah, it seems to me like you have more issues with the game's control in general, instead of SSE... since those situations come up in normal matches as well. You can make a profile and adjust the controls to your liking, including taking up off jump (if you're using anything but a wiimote held sideways).

The speedrun community won't take an interest in (arguably) the biggest game Nintendo has ever released, which has a 1P mode which begs to be beaten as fast as possible? I'll take that bet! :)

EDIT - No, I'm pretty sure you can attach a profile to your game at any time.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been playing Brawl in all of my free time, and I finally beat
    Tabuu. I HATED the Great Maze...too much mindless wandering and trekking back and forth. And yeah, Sonic was definately thrown in at the last minute, but I'm glad to have SSE under my belt. Now on to Events and Target Test!

It was weird unlocking all the characters. Definately took me a lot less time to unlock them in Brawl than it did in Melee. I mainly play as Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, or R.O.B., and once I get the wireless situation down, I'll be looking for some brawls. I'm in NW Arkansas...Doubt there's any Smashers around me though...

PkErthbnd on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Opty wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people don't know about the ability to customize controls.

It's amazing that when you start a new SSE game, you're given a screen to choose a profile, and don't have the ability to create one right there on the spot.

Houn on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Zero profiles for us. Everybody just hates how the names clutter up the screen.

Plus back in the earlier days of Melee, we had a lot of problems with younger kids just selecting any name, so it threw off the stats. Then it counted getting KO'd by a computer as a suicide, so we said fuck it and deleted all the names.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Good matches Red, its bed time lol <3. Your pretty good with DeDeDe, but I am also TERRIBLE at Wolf, I just like the Howl. Ike is such an easy character to play, whenever someone breaks him out I feel like going him and dominating. It doesn't even matter what attack you use as long as you connect.. gaah. So much fun to play though.

I'm kinda bummed he turned out to be so easy and popular. I wanted to use him, but not if everybody and their grandma is. Plus since he's so easy to use, eventually popular opinion will be he's the "noob character".

I'm really liking Snake. I just need to work on the whole not blowing yourself up bit.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Good games, Crumbly. I think you got the best of me overall, although I got a little macho after getting a few wins with Dedede. Haha.

Yea, thats why I broke out Ike lol. And Bowser. I <3 Bowser's suicide move, its so easy to pull off, and so effective.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah... So nothing is more sad than waiting for your Nintendo to fix your shit... God I want to play this like a son of a bitch.

Disk Read Error my Ass.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »

Yea, thats why I broke out Ike lol. And Bowser. I <3 Bowser's suicide move, its so easy to pull off, and so effective.

I hate you. Haha.

I was so pissed when you just kept threwing pikmin. That is why I picked Yoshi, so I can spam the egg roll. Although I wasn't too smooth with it at first.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Added my code to the wiki as well. I tried Brawling with anyone twice today with no luck. :( Hopefully that won't become a trend.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seriously guys, when I turn on my Wii the little fan blows out air that smells like a housefire.

It fucking sucks, but totally still works.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    SSE is fine. It's probably one of, if not THE best single-player adventure for a fighting game. There's just too many "block your progress and spawn an unknown number of waves of enemies for you to kill" moments and The Great Maze does a good job of souring an otherwise enjoyable (if flawed) experience.

And way too many cheap deaths. There are a fair number platforms hovering right above death pits as if it's a secret location. They serve NO purpose beyond helping really really BAD players.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nice matches Loki, was biting my nails on some of those. Always good to get a few fights in before studying and eventually sleep. I like Lucas, I just am no good with him yet.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Woot. Just finished SSE. (Well, not 100%, but I'll be heading back for that soon.)

I'm going to guess that Sonic's placement in the game shows a rather late inclusion, I would assume.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
This discussion has been closed.