Options

So long, space cowpie...

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I honestly think the more subdued movements when people are just sitting around talking are one CB's strong points

you don't always need flailing jazzercize limbs and manic bug-eyed anime expressions when shooting the shit with another dude

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just realized the narrator for Outlaw Star does the voice work for Jet.

Fucking awesome, the guy was also a captain in the military.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    DakalDakal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    Dakal wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    for the record - the AMAZING opening scene to the bebop movie was directed by Hiroyuki Okiura. He is known for his realistic animation but unfortunately the only other thing he's directed (he's primarily an animator) is Jin Roh. Which is so fucking awesome as well.

I know! I think TFS is on crack. The animation is not sub par. It's animation!

But in real life people don't have spaceships! It is so unrealistic, he is completely right to complain.

Yes, quite.

Dakal on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The series is actually on six discs in the US, with the film being the seventh. The Perfect Sessions boxset contained the series on the six discs (they were the normal discs just packaged together) and the first soundtrack.

The Remix version of the series is also 6 discs in the US.

I don't know how many DVDs it was in Japan, but I know it was some crazy large number because they like to put two episodes on a disc and charge $50 for it. They also got some awesome DVD cover artwork we didn't.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Get everything stuffed together.

Okay.

Let's jam.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    this is a great show

Skull Man on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The three old men just chilling and talking about the old days were the best.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    they did stuff in the movie!

Faricazy on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They did?

Oh yeah were they in planes or something?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah. They
    Delivered the antidote to the people in old bi-planes.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I recently picked up the series on DVD, and I have to say, the English dubbing really kind of sucks. The guy who does Spike sounds like he's doing an impression of David Caruso's character on CSI Miami, plus they change some of the dialogue around, and it's generally for the worst. Pierrot Le Fou, for example, ends with Spike making some sarcastic joke in the dub, whereas in the sub it's a much more low key line.

Maybe I'm just overracting. Pierrot Le Fou is my favorite episode from the series, despite it's crazy deviations from the general tone of the rest of the show (force fields? flying guys?).

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wuh? Cowboy Bebop has some of the best dubbing I've heard in any anime.

Also, they kind of have to change some of the dialogue to fit the 'OH MY GOD WHY AREN'T THEIR LIPS SYNCING' syndrome people have.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That has to be the first time I've ever heard someone complain about the Bebop dub

How can anyone not like Stephen Blum? Honestly

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, the Bebop dub is really good, miles better than most dub jobs. I think I read somewhere that Watanabe actually prefers the English dub for its quality.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Craigopogo wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just overracting. Pierrot Le Fou is my favorite episode from the series, despite it's crazy deviations from the general tone of the rest of the show (force fields? flying guys?).

Also, we have the technology to cultivate Mars and manipulate wormholes to get back and forth from planet to planet. Why wouldn't we have the technology to use force fields and have "flying guys"?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't have a lot of experience with anime, and it was the Cowboy Bebop movie with the English dub that got me into the series, but I just don't like the way they change the tone of the ending to that episode.
    In the sub it ends with Spike saying he doesn't need Jet's help because "it all ended just now", whereas in the dub Spike says "I really hate amusement parks" in this sarcastic tone. It's like Sympathy fo the Devil: there's a big blow out ending capped with a low key finish, which I prefer to Spike being... well, Spike.

EDIT: Yeah, there's lots of high tech stuff, but generally it's kept to big scale things. They're using guns from the 20th century still, and it's rare to see stuff more advanced than that, other than ships, on a personal level. Tongpu is the only instance I can think of where a character has a personal forcefield or flies.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So

Samurai Champloo

The ending

Wow
    I kept expecting it to be over like three times: when the wheelchair explodes and Jin gets stabbed (Jin is a huge fucking badass), then when they break their swords, then when Fuu is praying at the grave. I am glad that it didn't though, I do like the ending

I half expected Mugen and Jin to start walking down the same road as Fuu though

In fact I think I would have preferred that, but I guess that's pretty hokey

At any rate, I am pretty sad now that it is over

I wonder when Watanabe is gonna do something new

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not even an anime person or anything, but Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are two of my favorite shows ever. Not just cartoons, but overall favorites.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    this just in: currency is used to exchange for goods and services

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd just like to point out to those that own the "Perfect Sessions" 3-Disc set: There's about a 100% chance that you have a bootleg.

Most of my friends that have it do, and don't realize it until I point it out to them.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Craigopogo wrote: »

Also, we have the technology to cultivate Mars and manipulate wormholes to get back and forth from planet to planet. Why wouldn't we have the technology to use force fields and have "flying guys"?

I laughed out loud at this.

I personally thought that Le Fou was pretty damned cool, if only because it was an interesting take on the whole "genetically altered killer" theme. The guy's got crazy powers, and is clearly very good at what he does, but he's extremely childish and falls to pieces over inane things. Also, I thought it was pretty neat how when he sees Spike's different colored eyes it brings him back to the feline that was always staring at him in the lab. That was an interesting touch.

One other thing; Who the Hell complains about Cowboy Bebop for it's voice acting of all things? It's one of the best English casts ever, hands down. Some people are just silly.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Stephen Blum is an amazing voice actor.

I first started watching the show with the English Dub back when it first came out and I can't even watch it in Japanese now. Blum's voice just fits Spike so well.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have sadly not seen Cowboy Bebop yet. I must remedy this.

I did recently, however, finish Gungrave with a friend. It had its annoying moments, but also some fucking badass action scenes and some really heavy bits.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daric wrote: »
    Stephen Blum is an amazing voice actor.

I first started watching the show with the English Dub back when it first came out and I can't even watch it in Japanese now. Blum's voice just fits Spike so well.
    However he was wrong for Mugen.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is there anywhere I can pick perfect sessions up that's not either a bootleg or 300 dollars?

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am listening to the sound track right now

WHAT PLANET

IS THIS?

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Is there anywhere I can pick perfect sessions up that's not either a bootleg or 300 dollars?

You don't need the Perfect Sessions, because there ain't nothin' in it you get separately, except the box.

I think they did a thinpak release of the whole series a bit ago for like $60.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You can get the entire series of Cowboy Bebop in a single double size DVD case for like forty bucks now

Which is totally awesome

Because most anime cost something like $SHITLOAD to purchase in a single set

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bebop is a great anime, the music is fuckawesome.

Speak Like A Child is probably my favorite episode, the ending is so good.

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    We'll thank you very much sirs for the assistance.

The last time I watched cowboy bebop it was when it ran on adult swim (originally?) Sunday nights... um it was about 4 or so years ago back when i was in school. I remember I was in school because the end credits, I think it was real folk blues? It was in japanese but I can hear it in my head even now. It would always be the last thing I heard before my weekend ended. And I would always be sad that I was going back to school so that song kicks ass to me now for some weird nostalgia like reason.

Note I also don't really watch anime, but Cowboy bebop I make a damn exception for.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2008
    #pipe wrote: »
    I am listening to the sound track right now

WHAT PLANET

IS THIS?

That was one of those songs I liked so much that at one point I just listened to it on a perpetual loop for hours every day over a period of about two weeks.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am proud to say I have over 1100 songs by Yoko Kanno.

Now, a good 200 are unreleased tracks ripped from DVDs, but see, a couple of her series had spectacular ambient music that never made it into any of the official soundtracks.

But still I have just about every soundtrack or album she's put out. My favorite is "Song to Fly" a standalone album not connected to anything else that has a lot of choral tracks, as well as some vocal tracks (opera and even a rock ballad)

Fuck I love her work.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We'll thank you very much sirs for the assistance.

The last time I watched cowboy bebop it was when it ran on adult swim (originally?) Sunday nights... um it was about 4 or so years ago back when i was in school. I remember I was in school because the end credits, I think it was real folk blues? It was in japanese but I can hear it in my head even now. It would always be the last thing I heard before my weekend ended. And I would always be sad that I was going back to school so that song kicks ass to me now for some weird nostalgia like reason.

Note I also don't really watch anime, but Cowboy bebop I make a damn exception for.

yeah it is a pretty awesome song

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Now, a good 200 are unreleased tracks ripped from DVDs, but see, a couple of her series had spectacular ambient music that never made it into any of the official soundtracks.

But still I have just about every soundtrack or album she's put out. My favorite is "Song to Fly" a standalone album not connected to anything else that has a lot of choral tracks, as well as some vocal tracks (opera and even a rock ballad)

Fuck I love her work.

Working on building up a huge library of her music. Unfortunately it's going slowly since the legit CDs are like $25 each.

But I have every one of the Ghost in the Shell Stand-Alone Complex discs. Even the limited-edition boxset, which has a disc with a single 50-minute track that has like 15 previously-unreleased songs from the series on it (some of which are simply amazing) and a USB memory stick made to look like a Tachikoma that has some GitS multimedia stuff on it, including some dialogue from the actors and a few little snippets of songs Yoko Kanno never finished.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    You can get the entire series of Cowboy Bebop in a single double size DVD case for like forty bucks now

Which is totally awesome

i got mine for like 20 bucks, and this was four years ago

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Fuck I love her work.

Working on building up a huge library of her music. Unfortunately it's going slowly since the legit CDs are like $25 each.

But I have every one of the Ghost in the Shell Stand-Alone Complex discs. Even the limited-edition boxset.

That series got some of her best work. Hantou no Higashi is such a spectacular track. I put it on a mix CD for a friend, and he put it on his Ipod without ever really listening to it. Then late one night while on vacation in Hawaii he was just chilling out and listening to music while his fiancee slept and the song came on and it completely blew him away... the ambience, the slow build, the circumstances under which he was listening all just combined into some kind of fantastic musical experience.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Which song is "Hantou no Higashi"? The domestic releases of the CDs have all the titles translated to English, and my kanji knowledge isn't good enough to be reading the tracklist in my boxset.

EDIT: Okay, doing a quick Google says it's "East of the Penninsula", from the 3rd OST.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    as7 made me watch the cowboy bebop movie this weekend
    i enjoyed it thoroughly, though i'd never seen an episode

all i know the series for is the opening theme song, as i adore it
    i was disappointed that the movie did not have that song in it anywhere

still great music however

mully on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

Which is totally awesome

Not surprising, considering how old it is now.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.