MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    mully wrote: »
    as7 made me watch the cowboy bebop movie this weekend
    i enjoyed it thoroughly, though i'd never seen an episode

all i know the series for is the opening theme song, as i adore it
    i was disappointed that the movie did not have that song in it anywhere

still great music however

For some reason i like that the movie doesn't have the intro music anywhere. It's the show's signature theme and not having it in the movie is a pretty big statement I think.

This thread makes me want to look for Yoko Kanno music and just buy it, even stuff I haven't heard yet.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You know the young kid that plays the harmonica in one episode. Where can I get that music? Does anyone know the name cos that is some damn fine blues that kid knocks out.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You know the young kid that plays the harmonica in one episode. Where can I get that music? Does anyone know the name cos that is some damn fine blues that kid knocks out.

Digging My Potato.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've only seen 4 episodes or so of Cowboy Bebop (thank God Mushroom Samba was one of them), and it's still one of my favourite things ever.

The opening theme is the personification of all that was, is, and ever will be cool.

YaYa on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Digging My Potato.

Damn.

I think I need to get this soundtrack.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Larlar wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    I am listening to the sound track right now

WHAT PLANET

IS THIS?

That was one of those songs I liked so much that at one point I just listened to it on a perpetual loop for hours every day over a period of about two weeks.

I did this when whippy got The Protomen

Shorty on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shorty wrote: »

WHAT PLANET

IS THIS?

That was one of those songs I liked so much that at one point I just listened to it on a perpetual loop for hours every day over a period of about two weeks.

I did this, except with Piano Bar 1

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    I have sadly not seen Cowboy Bebop yet. I must remedy this.

I did recently, however, finish Gungrave with a friend. It had its annoying moments, but also some fucking badass action scenes and some really heavy bits.

Ugh, that's the second time in my life I have ever walked out on anything. I could NOT get through an episode of Gungrave. Hated everything about it >_<

I've heard some good things, but man, I couldn't take any more after watching bits of the first and second eps.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    :o Is someone a Gundam X fan

Janson on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    I have sadly not seen Cowboy Bebop yet. I must remedy this.

I did recently, however, finish Gungrave with a friend. It had its annoying moments, but also some fucking badass action scenes and some really heavy bits.

Ugh, that's the second time in my life I have ever walked out on anything. I could NOT get through an episode of Gungrave. Hated everything about it >_<

I've heard some good things, but man, I couldn't take any more after watching bits of the first and second eps.

What are your opinion on Outlaw Star?

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh man, Outlaw Star

I watched every episode on Toonami and then when they got to the last episode, they just started over from number one again. Pissed me right the fuck off

The thing is, I don't know if I could watch it today and appreciate it, especially after having seen Bebop

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I dunno, man. Even in the shadow of Bebop, it's still pretty decent.

You shouldn't set Bebop as the standard anyway, since everything else pales in comparison.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Oh man, Outlaw Star

I watched every episode on Toonami and then when they got to the last episode, they just started over from number one again. Pissed me right the fuck off

The thing is, I don't know if I could watch it today and appreciate it, especially after having seen Bebop

same thing here. i don't remember much of it but i doubt it would hold my interest now

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I enjoyed both, though Outlaw Star is pretty much just popcorn-fare. I think it's another one of those series you can get for like $30 on Amazon.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I enjoyed both, though Outlaw Star is pretty much just popcorn-fare. I think it's another one of those series you can get for like $30 on Amazon.

Popcorn fare?

I do know of this alien terminology. Explain yourself.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    You've never heard the term "popcorn flick" before?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The things I remember most about Outlaw Star
      Gene Starwind is a badass
      The ship getting into fistfights with other ships in space is awesome
      The catgirl is really stupid and dumb and I hate her
      That kid's voice is pretty annoying
      The android had to get naked in a tube filled with water to pilot the ship
      No seriously, Gene Starwind will kick your ass

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

i only remembered those

who was gene

Big Red Tie on
            3926 4292 8829
            *おなら*
          • Options
            edited April 2008
            An anime I like but always forget about (and then remember again with glee) is Parallel Trouble Adventure Dual!

The styling and animation is about as generic as you can get but it's a fantastic antidote to Eva.

Janson on
          • Options
            edited April 2008

i only remembered those

who was gene

The lead character

I think he was a space pirate or something

He had a huge gun and kicked ass all the time

That's about all I remember about him

Olivaw on
                    signature-deffo.jpg
                  • Options
                    edited April 2008

The catgirl also flashes her titties in that one episode they never aired on Toonami.

Though the episode is infamous for aforementioned nudity, it was also extremely hilarious.

But really, Outlaw Star can be summed up as "Badass with a magic gun helps a hot robot chick fly a spaceship that beats up other spaceships with giant spaceship fists".

And what isn't to like about that?

DarkPrimus on
                  • Options
                    edited April 2008

This is pretty much exactly what I remember, plus that gigantic homo that Gene only hung out with because the guy was richer than God.

You've never heard the term "popcorn flick" before?

The phrase is vaguely familiar.

I should probably get out more.

Goatmon on

• Options
                    edited April 2008
                    i don't even remember him

i remember someone with a sword crashing through a roof

Big Red Tie on
                    3926 4292 8829
                    *おなら*
                  • Options
                    edited April 2008
                    Also, Suzuka, the chick with the wooden sword. I remember her cutting a fucking a bus in half. That was pretty bitching.

She ends up losing to Gene because he separates her from her sword, and pulls off the sash that holds her robe together, and she's too embarrassed to fight him naked.

Goatmon on

• Options
                    edited April 2008
                    People with swords that cut buses in half make everything better.

I mean, look, there's one of those in the fourth volume of Scott Pilgrim, and it's the best volume!

DarkPrimus on
                  • Options
                    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
                    edited April 2008
                    So I now realize that the 'Limited Edition' set of Perfect Sessions I bought like 4 years ago is bootleg.

Oh well.

Kajusta on
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                    XBL
                  • Options
                    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
                    edited April 2008
                    Outlaw star was an awesome show.

M.D. on
                  • Options
                    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
                    edited April 2008
                    Outlaw Star was fucking great. There are two episodes, however, that are just pure genius.

1) The Seven Emerge

Gene fights the first of the Anten Seven, who are a bunch of badasses. The fight with this guy, Shimi, is really just a vehicle presented to shake Gene out of his melancholy, and the whole episode has some of the moodiest, most wonderful lighting I've ever seen.

2) Cats and Girls and Spaceships

A Jim-heavy episode, and soul-crushingly sad. The last battle between the Outlaw Star and Hanmyo's ship is amazing, and is set to the most perfect bit of music I've ever heard in an anime.

Shorty on
                  • Options
                    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
                    edited April 2008
                    Shorty wrote: »

WHAT PLANET

IS THIS?

I did this, except with Piano Bar 1

Space Lion is another one that can have this effect

#pipe on
                  • Options
                    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
                    edited April 2008
                    The gun Gene Starwind used fired magic bullets. Apparently it could harm you if you shot it too many times.

Mysst on
                    ikbUJdU.jpg
                  • Options
                    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
                    edited April 2008
                    Mysst wrote: »
                    The gun Gene Starwind used fired magic bullets. Apparently it could harm you if you shot it too many times.

The Caster Gun, it fired shells that contained "old magic." They were categorized by number and there were three shells that when fired could kill the user, but most shells just shot magic without a problem.

MagicPrime on
                    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
                    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
                  • Options
                    edited April 2008
                    MagicPrime wrote: »
                    Mysst wrote: »

The Caster Gun, it fired shells that contained "old magic." They were categorized by number and there were three shells that when fired could kill the user, but most shells just shot magic without a problem.

Caster, right! Oh shit, and I just remembered the jailbreak episode. Fantastic escape.

Mysst on
                    ikbUJdU.jpg
                  • Options
                    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
                    edited April 2008
                    Janson wrote: »
                    An anime I like but always forget about (and then remember again with glee) is Parallel Trouble Adventure Dual!

The styling and animation is about as generic as you can get but it's a fantastic antidote to Eva.

I quite liked this show, though it is a tad generic and not really at the top of my mind when I think anime. The ending, as cheesy as it was, made me smile and really was the anti-Evangelion.

Also, I've been itching to rewatch old stuff, because there's so much more new stuff out nowadays that its overwhelming and oh noes where to start. Maybe Midori no Hibi or something equally relaxing and not mentally taxing.

lostwords on
                    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
                  • Options
                    edited April 2008
                    If it's Anti-EVA, I need to check it out. I needed some brain bleach after that shit.

Mysst on
                    ikbUJdU.jpg
                  • Options
                    edited April 2008
                    RahXephon is another good anti-Eva. Invites lots of comparisons in the first half of the series, but then breaks away. It's also pretty.

Dual! isn't pretty but it does have some very good parody moments.

Janson on
                  • Options
                    edited April 2008
                    It's about a boy who sees mecha fighting when he's at school. Everyone makes fun of his 'day-dreams' except for one girl, whose mad scientist father believes in the existence of a parallel universe. He's created a machine and ends up sending the boy to the parallel world.

In the parallel world almost everything is exactly the same; except that in this world the boy doesn't exist. Oh, and alien artifacts were discovered several years previously which enabled the mad scientist's rival to build mecha and declare war on the world.

The mecha are feminine-looking (high heels) and can only be piloted by women, with the exception of the boy, who turns out to have a natural affinity with the mecha.

There's also an alien girl who likes curry.

Janson on
                  • Options
                    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
                    edited April 2008
                    mecha cross dressing

Balefuego on
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                  • Options
                    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
                    edited April 2008
                    I might watch that, being as I am also an alien girl who likes curry.

NotASenator on
                  • Options
                    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
                    edited April 2008
                    Janson wrote: »
                    RahXephon is another good anti-Eva. Invites lots of comparisons in the first half of the series, but then breaks away. It's also pretty.

Dual! isn't pretty but it does have some very good parody moments.

Fuck yeah RahXephon!

bloodyroarxx on
                  This discussion has been closed.