As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Invincible Iron Thread: The Movies, The Comics, The Ephemera

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    either stick with tech vs. tech, or *maybe* go tech vs. biotech. do that, and im sure everything will be just fine.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ooo, ooo, I had an idea.

Just retell the non-Nell parts of The Diamond Age with Stark in a Hacksworth role, the Mandarin as Dr. X, and Seeds which grow dragons.

But, you know, vaguely. A lot of it would need adaptation, but so would practically every 60s-era comic book story.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You should feel bad about yourself for having that idea.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    143999 wrote: »
    Ooo, ooo, I had an idea.

Just retell the non-Nell parts of The Diamond Age with Stark in a Hacksworth role, the Mandarin as Dr. X, and Seeds which grow dragons.

But, you know, vaguely. A lot of it would need adaptation, but so would practically every 60s-era comic book story.

But the Nell parts were the best part of that book.

Turing Machine Castle!

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    man I dunno about you guys but I'm thinkin' Skrulls would be a decent antagonist and/or plot device for IM2, The Avengers, or tying the two together.

This.

The Chitauri storyline in the Ultimates works as a movie storyline because seriously, the damn thing was written that way. It also gives serious linkage into Captain America if they integrate that storyline into his origin movie.

They could just use The Ultimates as the damn script for The Avengers movie and be done with it. First, the recruiting. Then, Hulk Does Manhatten. Show SHIELD, Hawkeye and Widow kicking some Chitauri ass, and then the giant climactic fight at the end.

And they even have a worthy sequel with The Ultimates 2!

Lynx on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That'd be a reeeeally long movie. I'd rather they skipped out on hulk rampaging through manhatten (cuz we're going to see that in the hulk movie anyway) and just go straight to the Chitauri/Skrulls. They should still have banner be the trump card though. I imagine the dialogue would go something like this:

[Fury and Banner above the raging battlefield in a chopper]

Banner: My God! We're getting killed out there!

Fury: I know.

Banner: What are we going to do? We're out of options!

Fury: No we're not. *boot to the back*

Guek on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    That'd be a reeeeally long movie. I'd rather they skipped out on hulk rampaging through manhatten (cuz we're going to see that in the hulk movie anyway) and just go straight to the Chitauri/Skrulls. They should still have banner be the trump card though. I imagine the dialogue would go something like this:

As long as we also get

"Hulk STRAIGHT!"

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guek wrote: »

But they pretty much have that scene in the New hulk Movie trailer anyway...

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If they have an Ultimates movie, Tony Stark better reply to "Is that a drink? It's 10 AM!" with "Not in Moscow!"

Darklyre on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Maybe we should turn this into an all-purpose Iron Man thread? Considering his kickin' rad new series just came out today.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I agree. I just got home from the comic shop with Invincible Iron Man #1 and I'm going to devour that bitch.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I grabbed the first of Viva Las Vegas today, nothing special but I'm interested to see where the mini goes.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    I grabbed the first of Viva Las Vegas today, nothing special but I'm interested to see where the mini goes.

Shim I was actually referring to Invincible Iron Man #1 which also came out today and was way better than the Las Vegas mini

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also the Enter the Mandarin trade came out and everyone should pick that up.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    ShimSham wrote: »

Shim I was actually referring to Invincible Iron Man #1 which also came out today and was way better than the Las Vegas mini
    Oh I knew which you were talking about.

I just figured it was worth noting.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Viva Las Vegas wasn't bad, I like the art (since its the guy that did extremis) but it was really short and totally not worth $3.99.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    143999 wrote: »
    Ooo, ooo, I had an idea.

But the Nell parts were the best part of that book.

Turing Machine Castle!

Yeah, but they wouldn't fit in an Iron Man vs. Mandarin movie without a really weird Pepper Potts subplot.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Maybe we should turn this into an all-purpose Iron Man thread? Considering his kickin' rad new series just came out today.

done and done

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Servo if you dont read Invincible Iron Man I will be very cross with you

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I did not like the art in Invincible.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I did not like the art in Invincible.

I thought the interior was ok, but the cover was outstanding. I LOVE Joe Quesada's covers most of the time, and he really outdid himself with the Invincible Iron Man #1 cover.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Servo if you dont read Invincible Iron Man I will be very cross with you

i almost bought it today, but i already had the enter the mandarin trade and mighty avengers and secret invasion. maybe i'll pick it up next week after i get paid.

edit- i did flip through it pretty thoroughly, so i know how it ends.
    something something blue skeletons oh no tony's numba one nightmare

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Did you read The Order?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    i read the first trade!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I read Hypervelocity today.

It was absolutely wonderful.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hypervelocity is pretty good. Too bad I can't find the last three issues. Also, how good was Enter the Mandarin?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It was pretty good actually.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    I read Hypervelocity today.

It was absolutely wonderful.
    LESS. MAN. AND. MORE. IRON.

"Bad news sir."

"Define bad news."

"Looks like he just matador'd a missile moving at twice the speed of a rifle shot and is now riding it away."

Having re-read it after picking it up last week, I'm thinking I need to find some more Iron Man trades.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Hypervelocity is pretty good. Too bad I can't find the last three issues. Also, how good was Enter the Mandarin?

Mask, IF I pick up the Hypervelocity trade then I could send you the singles. I haven't decided just yet though.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »

Mask, IF I pick up the Hypervelocity trade then I could send you the singles. I haven't decided just yet though.

That would be awesome. If you decide to get the trade, PM me and we can work out a deal.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Hypervelocity TPB is totally worth it, not just for the ease of reading, but it comes with original pencil pages drawn by Adam Warren in the exact style of his 'Empowered' comic series (<3). So if you loved Empowered, and want to see how it would be if Tony Stark walked into it for some sweet empowered loving, then get the TPB.

do it. do it now!

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I had a really hard time with Hypervelocity. It just didn't click with me I guess. Also I had a hard time following it at first. However the new IIM that came out yesterday was awesome. I didn't grab the shinny headed cover though. I got one of the other ones. Still absolutely awesome
    "Target. $9.99, comes in packs of 3"

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    that was hot, I won't lie

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    that was hot, I won't lie

Oh it was.

Also I think Larroca was channeling Land a little there with that countess chick. Just look at her face in that single closeup panel (where she's holding her boobs)

smokmnky on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, to be honest, "Absynthe" was terribly dull and rather uninspired. That was definitely the weakest part of Hypervelocity for me. But the overall story, mixing quite a fine blend of Iron Man and cyberpunk more than made up for it. Which reminds me that I need to look into Adamn Warren's other work. Dude knows his cyberpunk.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well, to be honest, "Absynthe" was terribly dull and rather uninspired. That was definitely the weakest part of Hypervelocity for me. But the overall story, mixing quite a fine blend of Iron Man and cyberpunk more than made up for it. Which reminds me that I need to look into Adamn Warren's other work. Dude knows his cyberpunk.

Livewires is pretty awesome, though it gets kinda muddy in the very end.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    His Empowered OGN series has quite a bit of blatant fanservice T&A, but also some really fun characters, great action, decent jokes and one of the sweetest relationships I've read in comics.

Bogart on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Empowered is one of those books that I fully expected to be awful, but it somehow managed to be one of the most endearing, fun things I've read in the last year.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    munch, really? because i just got livewires without realizing it was by the same guy that wrote hypervelocity, and i liked both of them a lot. if empowered is as good as those two, maybe i'll check it out.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    His Dirty Pair books follow the same pattern of T&A, jokes, awesome action, actually funny jokes and technobabble, and are worth picking up also.

Bogart on