As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla]First Thirty-Ninth Annual Phalla Awards: Game Over (Wraith Victory)

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My first was VtM phalla. I don't think I really made any veteran moves. But I did make it to the 2nd to last day.

You and Tofu finished off the Sabbat though. The team slated to win for a long time.

Ardor on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I will !vote for PsychoLarry's cute mistake.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This thread and the Ripper thread are not helping me with my procrastination problem...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    Ardor wrote: »
    Also, How about Aroduc in Rishiri? I thought that was one of his first games and he took gold as a bad guy.

Aroduc was indeed a strong player. The only thing holding me back from seconding it is that it was only the third Phalla, so really nobody was a veteran. That doesn't take away from his play, but the village was weak due to its inexperience so that probably amplified his success.

He eventually stopped playing because people kept killing him early on, but it's a shame he doesn't come back now. We have so many good players now that he'd be much less likely to die early and consistently.

He was in Phallisionk. Acted like an ass, too. I'd forgotten how arrogant he is. That man truly believes he's God's gift to Phalla.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    Also, How about Aroduc in Rishiri? I thought that was one of his first games and he took gold as a bad guy.

Aroduc was indeed a strong player. The only thing holding me back from seconding it is that it was only the third Phalla, so really nobody was a veteran. That doesn't take away from his play, but the village was weak due to its inexperience so that probably amplified his success.

He eventually stopped playing because people kept killing him early on, but it's a shame he doesn't come back now. We have so many good players now that he'd be much less likely to die early and consistently.

He was in Phallisionk. Acted like an ass, too. I'd forgotten how arrogant he is. That man truly believes he's God's gift to Phalla.

It helps him hide his true intentions AND distracts people to thinking how much of an arrogant bastard he is. It's a fair strategy. Many players use something like that.

Ardor on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Obbi wrote: »
    !Seconded, he truly shined over all those other really terrible newbies.

Obbi consistently finds new ways to wound me

Luckily everything's peaceful.

Also, I don't know if you can really take anyone's actions in Phallisionk as being indicative of their general character. If you weren't a traitor or a house leader, you literally had nothing to do in that game.

Burnage on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My first Phalla was ElJeffe's landmark epic The Phalliad. I made spreadsheets and vote counts, and stayed under the radar as a villager until I somehow survived the entire game with two other people, out of sixty at the start. I... didn't do anything. Far from 'veteran' play.

I'm-a gonna have to think about that one for a while. And the meltdown vote...even though I nominated Gumpy, I'm leaning toward Rend. And that prettiest princess vote... you mean that isn't a real category that will be introduced later on?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    the terrible newbies got better, don't worry!

Obbi on
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aroduc played in the 12-player no outside contact, post-restriction mini thorgot ran a few weeks ago.

...I killed him on the first night.

To be fair, I was on the mafia team and he turned out to be the guardian.

Anyway, my first was the WWI phalla where I talked James into giving me the identity of half the mafia team. Granted it didn't take much convincing and I died two days later after passing on the info, but it was still a good game to join in on.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

What are you talking about? Nearly all of us were (or still are) terrible newbies!

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    and they either will or already have gotten better!

Obbi on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My first phalla was the Rishiri phalla where I did nothing but be scared.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

But now you are no longer afraid, for you have learned the way of the pew pew pew!

Egos on
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

What are you talking about? Nearly all of us were (or still are) terrible newbies!
    They are most certainly better than me, though I've had a run of good luck lately.

Locus on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My first was VtM phalla. I don't think I really made any veteran moves. But I did make it to the 2nd to last day.

You and Tofu finished off the Sabbat though. The team slated to win for a long time.

We were highly influenced by the network though, so I'm not sure I'd consider it a veteran move on my part really.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Locus wrote: »

They are most certainly better than me, though I've had a run of good luck lately.

Luck is a big part of the equation for many of us though. Any good times I have had were all due to insane luck for example.

Ardor on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    B:L's Goltana Reveal.

Now with broken image!

Heh I went searching for the relevant posts too... Reading through old Phalla threads is fun.

You had to be there to appreciate the whole chain of events. But here's an outline of what happened. The Zodiac Phalla was a battle between two villager factions - the Goltana and the Larg - and a bad guy group. This chain of events all started with B:L hinting that he's a special until people started bandwagoning him.

B:L, who was really the Goltana Knight, "outs" himself as the Larg Knight (Guardian).
    B:L wrote: »
    Fools...FOOLS, the lot of you...

Do you know what happens when you back a Chocobo into a corner!?

*RIPS OFF HIS OWN HEAD*

*And lets down her golden hair, which falls and covers her platinum foil armor*

Finally, I am rid of that ridiculous costume. Well, what can I say? Well played, Goltana scum, you have outed me, forcing me to protect Plutonium in the case he is assassinated before the votes. Before the execution falls upon my pretty little head. I, the Holy Knight of Larg.

But do not forget that your most dangerous enemy is still the Zodiac Braves. In which case... *smiles* I can help you.

*dusts off her shield*

Give me the name of your oracle, and I shall shield them from any harm. In return, all I ask is that your hopeless Goltana Knight protects me as well, forming a strong chain of protection. If you do not yet know who he...or she...is, it is much safer to have the Oracle kept safely in my bubble. ;-)

If it ever comes down to the end with no more stones, let us have a battle of wits, and see who has the better network. We shall not let these Zodiac Cowards distract us from the war we should be rightfully fighting. *grins*

Soon after, Shamus "outs" himself as the Goltana Knight.
    Shamus wrote: »
    "It is time I reveal my own, secret..

Removes his mask and wig.

Balbanes%20Beoulve%20-%20Status.gif

I am not Weigraf "Shamus" Folles, but actually Balbanes "Shamus" Belouve, the Heavenly Knight..

Infidel, save your words, my son.

I am the mastermind behind the Goltana network. It was I who has contact the Oracle, using Infidel as a spokesperson. I operated under the guise of the bloodthirsty Weigraf. Yes, I am sworn to Goltana. I am his Knight."

Clears throat.

"In my travels, and the wars that I have fought in, I have learned of various tactics to wage war. I have witnessed great evils and even greater good. I heard legends of a nigh-mythical man known as Ardor, no relation to the noble killed recently. He was the developer of the Ardor Compromise. I feel we should enact this plan.

To the Larg nobility, I offer a deal. Let us pool our information together. Together, we can hunt down the remaining Zodiac Braves. Upon the completion of this great and noble quest.

I will voluntarily allow myself to be killed."

B:L proceeds to out himself as the Goltana Knight.
    Gnasty wrote: »
    I don't understand why Shamus revealed himself.
    The only thing he revealed is his Zodiac heart.

I was planning to use this trick to capture some Larg specials, but it seems that the Zodiacs have dug far too deep.

I do this for my Lord...

*takes off her breastplate, letting the piece of armor fall to reveal her crest*

th_red.gif

Goltana.

I am the Goltana Knight.

Then, a lot of talk happens. People have trouble believing B:L because he has relied on so many lies and half-truths to make his original claim believable. And of course, the entire Larg faction is unsympathetic to him.

B:L tries to explain his motives...
    BIG EDIT

Lignisse wrote: »
    Okay, there's one thing I'm not understanding about B:L's story at all. Why would B:L have falsely claimed to be the Larg knight, knowing full well that the Larg knight is alive and capable of contradicting him? Did B:L expect the true Larg knight to lie silent while B:L claimed his position and led the Larg to their deaths?
    No. I expected the true Larg knight to die.

There is no Larg oracle to confirm his identity. The only way he can "prove" that I am an imposter is to out himself. Why then, as a Goltanian, would you complain to that?

Lignisse wrote: »
    But how was he going to get out of this mess? Shamus' reveal (which I'll admit I don't understand, although I believe until further evidence comes to light) provided a solution. At one fell swoop, he could discredit the opposing knight, perhaps save his own skin, and even (if my oracle is feeble-minded) find out who the Goltana oracle is, to publically reveal them for the Larg ninja's deadly pleasure.

Suiting the deed to the thought, B:L forged a Goltana symbol, and wore the hateful thing under his true breastplate, revealing in in a calculated move to cause confusion and dismay among his Goltana enemies.

Don't believe the lies. Kill the impostor. Kill the Larg scum. I proudly !vote B:L
    Sure, I could get the Oracle's name and out him. Then he could get killed by a Larg ninja.

Except in that scenario, there would be a KNIGHT protecting the Oracle, a knight who I do not know about.

At the very least, if I cannot protect the Oracle now, I am outing you Larg vermin with these votes so my death will not be in vain.

Then he tried to make the Goltana seer to get in contact with him.

When that didn't work, he asked the village to bandwagon him to confirm his identity, because that might help the Goltana network figure out who's who by looking at the votes.

Then he changed his mind...
    Cantide wrote: »
    I !retract B:L and I shall !vote Shamus.

FOR GOLTANA!!

So your steadfast resolve to sacrifice your own life for your cause lasted... less than a day. Impressive.
    Let us see how long you last after this day.

Sure, I switch things around constantly, but only because I am adapting my plan to the situation. My original plan was to die protecting the Oracle, but that plan had to change because the Oracle does not believe me about Infidel.

This new plan accounts for that, giving the Oracle enough time to seer the truth about me, while slaying the false Knight known as Shamus. This is what I think is best for Goltana.

But you wouldn't care about that, as the person most vocal about my necessary death, would you?

And then he was bandwagoned to death.

The whole thing is pretty much summarized here:
    If that aint the pot calling the porcelain black, I don't know what is.

Protecting a larg special instead of infidel or yourself? Trying the risky plan of infiltrating larg when your the most valuable special in the game? Calling insane amounts of attention to yourself? Defending plutonium (a frickin lucavi) against everybody else in the game? Claiming to be the larg knight when FWD had stated that he was in contact with the larg knight? Trying to get infidel the goltana network head killed? Lying nonstop and then turning around and begging the goltana network to trust you?

Your definately the Larg MVP.
    Oh, the Irony.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Egos wrote: »
    Did the newbie phalla have any success?

I'll nominate Toxic Toys for his play as the reincarnation of Athan, the evil bastard in Newbie Phalla 1 :)

I'll 2nd that. I was Athan in game 2 - I helped form the good network, was evil, took out the evil side, killed the good specials, and stood alone as God in that Phalla. And learned that the game isn't over till the GM says it is.

Newbie Phalla

Edit - I guess that's a 3rd, till Obbi retracted. Damn you!

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Egos wrote: »

But now you are no longer afraid, for you have learned the way of the pew pew pew!

I shall make a Sabs phalla where it is !Zap with pew pew pews.
    Not really.
    pew pew pew
    peeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Fuck, I forgot to nominate myself for the blunder

finally dug out that game in SE++

my first phalla <3

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=2915164#post2915164

Obbi on
  • Options
    iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    !Vote for Gumpy as without him the village probably wouldn't have won Phallastar.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    also since TT seconded the nomination that I already seconded

!nominate Arkas for her performance in Xenophalla
    specifically when she killed her own team-mate, DUE, to end the game.

Obbi on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    also since TT seconded the nomination that I already seconded

!nominate Arkas for her performance in Xenophalla
    specifically when she killed her own team-mate, DUE, to end the game.

Damn you! Now I have to edit my post again!

So getting kicked in the nuts. :P

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I !second Arkas in Xeno-phalla

And after careful deliberation I !vote Lady Eri in Soviet Phalla.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm going to !vote for Rend because I have a feeling Lady Eri will end up running away with this and I'm a homer. Also because Rend is awesome, and he deserves many awards. Even if they are dubious.

Locus on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My first phalla was Shankill Butcher's The Stand Phalla. No idea what I was doing, died mid-game, still had fun.

Oh lord but that Phalla Royale 2 was my second, that was some serious fun there, ending up allied/friendly with half the schools, constantly having to convince teammates to trust my diplomacy, who knew that giving a rival school a handgun would buy me so much gratitude?

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    the best thing about my first phalla post up there

is Squashua's comment

Obbi on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    giltanis wrote: »
    What was everyones first Phalla? Mine was the one I think run by Thorgot where we were all space ships in a convoy and Ardor helped with the narrations/was a character in them...I forget the name.

Ad Astra per Phalla, though Tuxkamen was the GM not Thorgot.

And it's still the Phalla I remember most fondly. For some reason :P.

cheez on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's a tough choice, but I have to !vote for PsychoLarry1. On that last night, we already knew everyone's alignment. All he had to do was vote for the bad guy, and we'd win the game.

Cantide on
  • Options
    Buzz BuzzBuzz Buzz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My first was also the Phalliad. I threw together several large boring arguments in that one that were usually against the wrong people, but cemented my reputation as wall of texting people to death. :)

Buzz Buzz on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I didn't even play in the Heroes Phalla, but I'm going to have to go with Kovak (vote). That event sent shockwaves all the way over to ODaM.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I guess I can comfortably nominate Marshmallow. I had no clue that was only your second game.

I think I'm going vote REND for pretties princess. If the award for best use of a monocle comes up, I will also vote him for it.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    cheez wrote: »
    I didn't even play in the Heroes Phalla, but I'm going to have to go with Kovak. That event sent shockwaves all the way over to ODaM.

You are voting for him, correct?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm going to enjoy watching the hosts suffer when they try to sort through which votes are nominations and which ones are votes for the previous day's category.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah. It's a vote. You said I could vote in any color!

cheez on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Lime votes are for nominating right? Or are they supposed to be red?

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm going to enjoy watching the hosts suffer when they try to sort through which votes are nominations and which ones are votes for the previous day's category.

Or you and everybody else could take the time to put a "vote" or "nominate" before your vote or nomination.
    Yeah. It's a vote. You said I could vote in any color!

You didn't !vote, you typed an exclamation point followed by a name.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Do you want 'nominate' or 'vote' also colored and bolded?

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Lime votes are for nominating right? Or are they supposed to be red?

Red for nominations, Lime for Award

really just use any color, just be sure not to retract using Lemon Chiffon and we're cool.

Obbi on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Driving hosts completely insane is more fun though.

Last Son on