As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hugs are where its [chat]!

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm naming my children after the Norse gods.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    One thing I regret about not talking to my mom anymore is that she had this incredible cake recipe - and unfortunately I have no idea what it was called - that used fruit punch as a key ingredient. It was really light and fluffy, like angel food, but also sodden wet and bright dayglo red from the juice. Soooo goood.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    So a friend of mine wants to become Protestant. Right now I think they are Jewish or Russian Orthodox or something. I don't really know.

I assume she has to get Christened? Is that something Protestants do? Can anyone point me toward info?

No one other than Catholics calls Protestants Protestants, so you might be better off finding out what specific church they're interested in joining and then going from there.

We don't call them protestants.

We call them witches.
    Late, but we call you idolaters.

Except we were given the Church by Jesus.

You guys just pretend.
    And then you turned around and started worshiping Mary. Way to fuck it up.
    Dogmatic Law and Papal Infallibility is a wonderful thing.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I need to figure out an efficient way to have a tiny device with Wikipedia on it. I know people have pulled it off, but most of the methods involve hax.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    My brother and I both got biblical names even though my parents were never especially religious. My brother is continuing this tradition apparently, my niece will be named Grace after she's born in June.

Just try to avoid having relatives named Patience or Hope.

Highly unlikely, Grace was my grandmother's name. I'm actually surprised the sister-in-law went for it, as it is quite old-fashioned. Surprised, but not upset. The world could do with more Gracies and fewer MacKenzies, Mercedes, Taylors, Jordans etc. etc. etc. insert-nauseatingly-trendy-name heres.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm naming my children after the Norse gods.

Then make their middle name what the god represents.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've always liked the names Irene and Nikolai. Also Ekaterina, and Nikita.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    The world could do with more Gracies and fewer MacKenzies, Mercedes, Taylors, Jordans etc. etc. etc. insert-nauseatingly-trendy-name heres.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    The world could do with more Gracies and fewer MacKenzies, Mercedes, Taylors, Jordans etc. etc. etc. insert-nauseatingly-trendy-name heres.

Mine's Jason.

I share my first name with the first red Power Ranger.

Also an axe murderer.

...It balances out.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Church wrote: »

Just don't go with Sergei. It looks cool, but it will result in your kid being a UFC fighter, if of course he doesn't lose all those fights he'll be getting into.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    I need to figure out an efficient way to have a tiny device with Wikipedia on it. I know people have pulled it off, but most of the methods involve hax.

I am reminded of a comic in which either Tycho or Gabe attempt to print the entire internet.

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Just don't go with Sergei. It looks cool, but it will result in your kid being a UFC fighter, if of course he doesn't lose all those fights he'll be getting into.

Guh... Well I intend to teach my children Savate religiously from the age of six or so.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My daughter is totally getting named "Veronica", btw, after the Elvis Costello song.

My son, I dunno. "Blue Monday" doesn't quite work.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How about downloading a current version of the wikipedia database and putting it on your tiny device?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    How about downloading a current version of the wikipedia database and putting it on your tiny device?

That sounds like a stupid amount of data.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

It would have to be editable, or you'd be stuck with all the vandalism that happened to be there.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If I have a daughter, I really want to name her Lilith.
    If I have a son, I want to name him after my father.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sami wrote: »
    It's about 15Go if you just stick to current versions of the text, no history or talk pages or images.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My real name may or may not be James. You'll never know!

Kids? If I had girls they would be Tracy and Amanda. Boys, Constantine and I haven't thought of another one yet.

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Feral wrote: »

I've liked the name Lilith for a long time, back since the character appeared on Cheers. Who doesn't appreciate deadpan sardonicism in a woman?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It's about 15Go if you just stick to current versions of the text, no history or talk pages or images.

The hell is a Go?

Sami on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My daughter is totally getting named "Veronica", btw, after the Elvis Costello song.

Like I said, I love the name Jezebel, so if I ever had a daughter, I would be torn by, on one hand, wanting my daughter to have the objectively best name ever, but also wanting my daughter to not be stoned.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008

The hell is a Go?

Did he mean Gigabyte?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I've liked the name Lilith for a long time, back since the character appeared on Cheers. Who doesn't appreciate deadpan sardonicism in a woman?

I like the mythological connotations of the name.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited May 2008

Like I said, I love the name Jezebel, so if I ever had a daughter, I would be torn by, on one hand, wanting my daughter to have the objectively best name ever, but also wanting my daughter to not be stoned.

Nah, I know a couple guys named Darwin and they grew up without getting beaten to death. She'd be fine (you don't live in the flyover states, do you?).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It would have to be editable, or you'd be stuck with all the vandalism that happened to be there.
    Of course it's editable, it's Wikipedia and you've downloaded it on your own damn computer.

Plus, the vast majority of the vandalism that takes place on Wikipedia gets corrected within minutes. So when you take a monthly snapshot, you're unlikely to get much of it. You'll have some, of course, but it's not as bad as you might expect.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Jezebel's a good name.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2008

No doubt.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

The hell is a Go?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigaoctet

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Demon from Jewish cabalism?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

The hell is a Go?

Did he mean Gigabyte?
    Yes, Gigabyte. Sorry. I still have the reflex of using the French abbreviation (Go for Gigaoctet, "octet" being the French word for byte).

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008

So you want your daughter to bed down with demons?

You will be the worst father ever.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Mother to vampires, succubi, and giants? I mean, obviously some people invoke it as a symbol of feminism, because she was more or less defamed by misogyny in religion, but still...

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Jezebel's a good name.

Do you know the cultural associations with that name?

Sami on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I think he means the mythical first wife of Adam. The one that exists only in gaming-related literature.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Demon from Jewish cabalism?

Yep.

Any child of mine better grow up to be a demon in the sack.

Mother to vampires, succubi, and giants? I mean, obviously some people invoke it as a symbol of feminism, because she was more or less defamed by misogyny in religion, but still...

I told my ex's (Catholic) mother that I really liked the name Lilith. She said, "Do you know what the Lilith was?" I retorted, "Do you know what the Morrigan was?" She laughed and said, "Okay. Good point."

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2008

I think he means the mythical first wife of Adam. The one that exists only in gaming-related literature.
    That's who I was talking about. Doesn't she spurn Adam and go off into the wilderness to get freaky with the demon-types?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Nah, I know a couple guys named Darwin and they grew up without getting beaten to death. She'd be fine (you don't live in the flyover states, do you?).

Haha, no, but it would cause some problems since my boyfriend, the guy whom I'm most likely going to marry, his mother is super-Christian. That and Jezebel has a negative connotation to a lot of people who don't thump Bibles as well.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Jezebel's a good name.

Do you know the cultural associations with that name?

Yep.

Feral on

This discussion has been closed.