As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hugs are where its [chat]!

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Emma and Sophie are nice names

although I sort of want to name boys Alistair or Warrick

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    I've liked the name Lilith for a long time, back since the character appeared on Cheers. Who doesn't appreciate deadpan sardonicism in a woman?

Oh my god I love Lilith Crane. She is my fictional crush.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I've liked the name Lilith for a long time, back since the character appeared on Cheers. Who doesn't appreciate deadpan sardonicism in a woman?

Oh my god I love Lilith Crane. She is my fictional crush.

As far as sitcom characters go, one of the best ever.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2008

ITT Eddy turns out to be the reincarnation of Jane Austen.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    See, what's going to end up happening is that my hypothetical daughter is going to insist that she be called "Lily," dress in white all the time, take up abstinence, and find Jesus.

Because how else is a kid supposed to rebel against me? Partying all night, doing drugs, and having freaky sex ain't gonna cut it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think he means the mythical first wife of Adam. The one that exists only in gaming-related literature.

No, I think there are historical religious texts that include that story, it's just not in KJV or anything. That's probably my biggest beef with people who tout the Bible as OMGULTIMATETRUTH, since people have picked and chose religious texts over the years, not to mention misinterpreting some, and then Constantine had the "Official Roman Bible" thing put out or something. But yeah...

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think he means the mythical first wife of Adam. The one that exists only in gaming-related literature.

No, I think there are historical religious texts that include that story, it's just not in KJV or anything. That's probably my biggest beef with people who tout the Bible as OMGULTIMATETRUTH, since people have picked and chose religious texts over the years, not to mention misinterpreting some, and then Constantine had the "Official Roman Bible" thing put out or something. But yeah...
    Yes, lets not forget the lost book of Enoch. That had some good shit in it.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I'm naming my children after the Norse gods.

If I have a son, part of me wants to name him Mictlantecuhtli, after the Aztec god of death.

Seriously, the Aztecs had the best names ever. Like Teopantecuantitlan.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

ITT Eddy turns out to be the reincarnation of Jane Austen.

She like those names a lot?

Lilith was pretty good on Fraiser, too.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Well if it originated in Judaism, you'd think it would be in the Torah, but it's not... The figure Lilith appears in Jewish mysticism, but not in Genesis.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I can picture that first day of school.

Some kid: "Hey, kid with two dads, what's your name?"
    Eddy's kid: "Hi! I'm Alistair"
    Some kid: punchpunchpunch

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Well if it originated in Judaism, you'd think it would be in the Torah, but it's not... The figure Lilith appears in Jewish mysticism, but not in Genesis.

I have no idea where the story of Lilith actually originated, I just meant that it doesn't just exist in "gaming-related literature," by which I thought you meant "a modern concoction by sci-fi writers."

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I have no idea where the story of Lilith actually originated, I just meant that it doesn't just exist in "gaming-related literature," by which I thought you meant "a modern concoction by sci-fi writers."

Ahh, a misunderstanding. The figure Lilith is definitely ancient, very freaking old. I just haven't found mention of the story of Lilith being the first wife of Adam, created from dust (as Adam was) and leaving him in faithlessness, causing God to create Eve out of Adam, outside of modern fantasy. If that story has an origin that goes back farther, I would be very interested in knowing the source of it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've been kind of concerned since my old lady proposed naming a boy Rastaclav.

Damn Canuck.

TL DR on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For girls I really like French names. Celeste, Adele, Elyse, etc.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Yeah seriously. If i somehow ended up with a son I'm afraid I'd have to name him Frank, or John or Joe or something.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I've been kind of concerned since my old lady proposed naming a boy Rastaclav.

Damn Canuck.

Insist on veto power for boy names (and pray her girl names suck less).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My brother and I both got biblical names even though my parents were never especially religious. My brother is continuing this tradition apparently, my niece will be named Grace after she's born in June.

Just try to avoid having relatives named Patience or Hope.

Highly unlikely, Grace was my grandmother's name. I'm actually surprised the sister-in-law went for it, as it is quite old-fashioned. Surprised, but not upset. The world could do with more Gracies and fewer MacKenzies, Mercedes, Taylors, Jordans etc. etc. etc. insert-nauseatingly-trendy-name heres.

Hey hey lets not be mean some of us had an awesome reason for the name

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It can be shortened to 'al' though

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Yeah seriously. If i somehow ended up with a son I'm afraid I'd have to name him Frank, or John or Joe or something.

It's a delicate balance, though. Some people have appropriated all the tough names like Butch and what have you.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    My brother and I both got biblical names even though my parents were never especially religious. My brother is continuing this tradition apparently, my niece will be named Grace after she's born in June.

Highly unlikely, Grace was my grandmother's name. I'm actually surprised the sister-in-law went for it, as it is quite old-fashioned. Surprised, but not upset. The world could do with more Gracies and fewer MacKenzies, Mercedes, Taylors, Jordans etc. etc. etc. insert-nauseatingly-trendy-name heres.

I'm sure, the problem is the 9 million other parents who shamelessly copied yours, resulting in Jordan being a ridiculously trendy name.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

I'm sure, the problem is the 9 million other parents who shamelessly copied yours, resulting in Jordan being a ridiculously trendy name.

Tell me about it I always get stupid real estate agents going "Jordan? Oh I named my daughter that though its spelled jordynn." To myself I try and kill them with my mind, so far I have failed.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ahh, a misunderstanding. The figure Lilith is definitely ancient, very freaking old. I just haven't found mention of the story of Lilith being the first wife of Adam, created from dust (as Adam was) and leaving him in faithlessness, causing God to create Eve out of Adam, outside of modern fantasy. If that story has an origin that goes back farther, I would be very interested in knowing the source of it.

I admit that the most I know about Lilith was stuff from a few History Channel specials. I just looked up Lilith in Wikipedia, and this is the gist of what I've heard from a variety of documentaries on non-cannonical Bible stories.
    The Alphabet of Ben Sira is considered to be the oldest form of the story of Lilith as Adam's first wife. Whether this certain tradition is older is not known. Scholars tend to date Ben Sira between 8th and 10th centuries. Its real author is anonymous, but it is falsely attributed to the sage Ben Sira. The amulets used against Lilith that were thought to derive from this tradition are in fact, dated as being much older.[38] The concept of Eve having a predecessor is not exclusive to Ben Sira, and is not a new concept, as it can be found in Genesis Rabbah. However, the idea that Lilith was the predecessor is exclusive to Sira. According to Gershom Scholem, the author of the Zohar, R. Moses de Leon, was aware of the folk tradition of Lilith. He was also aware of another story, possibly older, that may be conflicting.[39]

The idea that Adam had a wife prior to Eve may have developed from an interpretation of the Book of Genesis and its dual creation accounts; while Genesis 2:22 describes God's creation of Eve from Adam's rib, an earlier passage, 1:27, already indicates that a woman had been made: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." The text places Lilith's creation after God's words in Genesis 2:18 that "it is not good for man to be alone". He forms Lilith out of the clay from which he made Adam, but the two bicker. Lilith claims that since she and Adam were created in the same way, they were equal, and she refuses to "lie below" him

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh God that was fucking brutal. And not brutal like Dethklok is brutal, brutal in the bad way.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I admit that the most I know about Lilith was stuff from a few History Channel specials. I just looked up Lilith in Wikipedia, and this is the gist of what I've heard from a variety of documentaries on non-cannonical Bible stories.
    The Alphabet of Ben Sira is considered to be the oldest form of the story of Lilith as Adam's first wife. Whether this certain tradition is older is not known. Scholars tend to date Ben Sira between 8th and 10th centuries. Its real author is anonymous, but it is falsely attributed to the sage Ben Sira. The amulets used against Lilith that were thought to derive from this tradition are in fact, dated as being much older.[38] The concept of Eve having a predecessor is not exclusive to Ben Sira, and is not a new concept, as it can be found in Genesis Rabbah. However, the idea that Lilith was the predecessor is exclusive to Sira. According to Gershom Scholem, the author of the Zohar, R. Moses de Leon, was aware of the folk tradition of Lilith. He was also aware of another story, possibly older, that may be conflicting.[39]

The idea that Adam had a wife prior to Eve may have developed from an interpretation of the Book of Genesis and its dual creation accounts; while Genesis 2:22 describes God's creation of Eve from Adam's rib, an earlier passage, 1:27, already indicates that a woman had been made: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." The text places Lilith's creation after God's words in Genesis 2:18 that "it is not good for man to be alone". He forms Lilith out of the clay from which he made Adam, but the two bicker. Lilith claims that since she and Adam were created in the same way, they were equal, and she refuses to "lie below" him

Fascinating, and also confusing. Where did Lilith's grievance arise from, since God didn't subordinate Eve to Adam until after they ate, and he did it as punishment for her eating first, then tempting him.

For that matter, how could Adam and Lilith even have anything to bicker about prior to eating from the tree of knowledge? The addition of Lilith to Eden seems to muddy the moral message of the story even more. Hmmm.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Well in that child molesters movie with Johnny depp lillith certainly liked to ride.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    What's the deal with all the new trendy names? Harper? Landon? Tanner?

Horrible stuff.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    pppppp

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh and hello [chat].

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What's the deal with all the new trendy names? Harper? Landon? Tanner?

Horrible stuff.

I have never heard any of those names.

edit: well I have heard them, just not in real life.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Is it possible, upon going to youtube.com, to be logged into someone else's account without ever having entered their name/password?

Sup Zimmy.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Fascinating, and also confusing. Where did Lilith's grievance arise from, since God didn't subordinate Eve to Adam until after they ate, and he did it as punishment for her eating first, then tempting him.

For that matter, how could Adam and Lilith even have anything to bicker about prior to eating from the tree of knowledge? The addition of Lilith to Eden seems to muddy the moral message of the story even more. Hmmm.

According to the Alphabet of Ben Sira, because she wanted to be on top.
    After God created Adam, who was alone, He said, 'It is not good for man to be alone.' He then created a woman for Adam, from the earth, as He had created Adam himself, and called her Lilith. Adam and Lilith immediately began to fight. She said, 'I will not lie below,' and he said, 'I will not lie beneath you, but only on top. For you are fit only to be in the bottom position, while I am to be the superior one.' Lilith responded, 'We are equal to each other inasmuch as we were both created from the earth.' But they would not listen to one another. When Lilith saw this, she pronounced the Ineffable Name and flew away into the air.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Is it possible, upon going to youtube.com, to be logged into someone else's account without ever having entered their name/password?

Sup Zimmy.

Not to my knowledge.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Sup Zimmy.

I guess if its set to save.

edit: and someone else did it.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Sup Zimmy.

Not to my knowledge.

So either a local massage therapist (I googled the account's e-mail address) broke into my apartment and used my computer, or someone is hacking my IP's?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Sup Zimmy.

Not to my knowledge.

So either a local massage therapist (I googled the account's e-mail address) broke into my apartment and used my computer, or someone is hacking my IP's?

HAX!

With potentially :winky: consequences.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    VishNub wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    1) It's a guy friend, if that matters, in this case I don't think it does (knowing her and her relationship to him)
    2) He was just doing the annoying "grawr if you hurt her grawr" posturing nonsense. I found it annoying.

How about just telling him that he's retarded?

She was sitting there.

Say, 'but what if she's into that kind of thing?'

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Church wrote: »
    My name used to be generic. Now it's exotic. You people that are bored with your names just need to move to new continents.

Oh shit, Feral shares my girlfriend's name.
    Feral's your girlfriend Feral's your girlfriend

But Feral is old enough to get a Learner's Permit.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Blarg.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.