As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What makes a game good is the graphics - NSF56K

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dourin wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    And probably posted a ton of times:

I totally agree with Prince of Persia. Just picked it up over the weekend at Gamestop for $40 (yay surprise sales!) and have only gotten about 15 minutes to check it out. However, I really can't get over how beautiful this game is. At this point, I almost don't care if the game turns out horrible otherwise. If nothing else, it really sets the bar for all future cel-shaded games to come.

I think it really rides that fine line of almost too much detail for cel-shading, but, so far from what I've seen, doesn't cross it.

Not sure what the general concensus on this game is, but it really should be supported, as I would love to see them take the PoP games in this direction, artistically speaking.

The only complaints about the new PoP is some people think it was too easy.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Supreme Commander for epiccy piccy goodness.

SupCommander_064.jpg

SupCommander_086.jpg

SupCommander_084.jpg

SupCommander_090.jpg

SupCommander_103.jpg

subedii on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love how the galactic colossus shoots a fucking laser beam of goddamn death from it's fucking face. The Seraphim's walking experimental does something very much similar and is more powerful but the Aeon's is just so much cooler to me for some reason.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    I love how the galactic colossus shoots a fucking laser beam of goddamn death from it's fucking face. The Seraphim's walking experimental does something very much similar and is more powerful but the Aeon's is just so much cooler to me for some reason.

I love the UEF Fatboy. You gotta love an ultra large tank with battleship cannons on it. There's something epic about seeing it come to an ocean and simply keep going, trundling under the waves and emerging elsewhere, your mobile battle base.

I just wish they had been a little more creative with the units. I mean for crying out loud, they gave the Cybrans Spider-bots, but none of them can traverse steep hills and terrain. Even the ones in Total Annihilation could do that, they made it anywhere on land. They were useless once they got there, but they made it!

Still, I'm glad that the game did well enough that there's a SupCom 2 in the works. If they do a bit more differentiation with the sides and make things a bit more creative, it'll be awesome. Problem is I'm not sure there's as much of a market for large scale RTS's of this type as there used to be. Everyone else is really focused on small, squad level strategy games instead of the kind of large scale strategy that made up SupCom. They're going to have to do some special stuff if they're going to re-capture people's attention.

subedii on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    This also isn't a "let's act like an elitist cock" thread. If you want to shit on someone's opinions, go find another forum.
    Your opinion on the graphics was
    it looked fucking amazing for its time. I still think it looks fairly decent.
    he disagrees. If you consider this shitting on your opinions you might want to put some more effort in wording them, instead of talking about the gameplay alone. I don't think those screenshots do the game justice, from what I played of it it looked a lot better in motion.
    While you are right, that it is his opinion and he is entitled to it...
    Arceus wrote: »
    Those screens look atrocious. This isn't the post-your-favorite-game thread.
    This part makes it more of a rude comment then voicing an opinion. Triple B is right, this is the kind of stuff that doesn't belong in a thread like this.

*edit*Man, apparently if you leave a page up overnight you need to refresh before posting...

Also, Terrible TOTP.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You neglected to post the most beautiful thing in BFME, though. The fucking map. That thing made me want to play it more than any other footage I've seen.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They've done some nice things with Morrowind:
    5535-1-1223090457.jpg
    5535-1-1193035109.jpg

That first one is in game. Someone just flew up and took a picture of the whole island.

Food on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Morrowind is one of the few games that I find looks better with the fog than without. I will still set it to 2 or x the normal max view distance, but otherwise, I find the backdrop just looks a tad ... lumpy.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    You neglected to post the most beautiful thing in BFME, though. The fucking map. That thing made me want to play it more than any other footage I've seen.

Yeah, the world map in campaign mode was gorgeous. Also, the level design in general. The in-game maps are incredibly well done.

Also, holy shit that's Morrowind? I may need to dig out my CD....

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I knew the bloody map had so many mountains, 80% of the bloody thing is mountains. I hated that about Morrowind.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I knew the bloody map had so many mountains, 80% of the bloody thing is mountains. I hated that about Morrowind.

Yeah, I'm not sure whose idea it was to put the least interesting part of the game right in the middle of the map - you spent the entire game passing through wasteland and being pursued by these fuckers:

cliffracerswarm.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey so.

This game is pretty good-lookin'.

orangex.png

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is that an orange peel with a rail stuck to it?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This thread came back? That's cool. I like graphics. This is a pretty good looking game. Kind of. I guess.
    83637245pt5.jpg

62201243zj5.jpg

59342082zj7.jpg

71877077wo8.jpg

46745988xl9.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Its ok, needs some tightening on level two

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    apparently there's a new crysis mod that makes the game look like the original trailer pictures.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow, Flippy, is that Mirror's Edge?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So has anyone built a PC that can run Flight Simulator X on the highest of settings yet? Last I heard, someone had a machine with 4 gigs of RAM, Vista, and 2 8800s and still had frame rate issues and the comp struggled to add detail to the landscape and water.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    man, i wish i could run crysis at max settings

but on a phenom 9550, 4GB RAM, 9800gt, if i can't, i can't be fucked

LaCabra on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Hey so.

This game is pretty good-lookin'.
    orangex.png

Huh. I took that to be a photo at first, and Flippy fucking with us.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I really need to have a desktop for gaming, having a laptop with a 64mb's video card can only do so much. :(

Impersonator on
  • Options
    AgehnAgehn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Mirror's Edge, as usual, looks ridiculously good, in my opinion.

Screenshots from my PC copy, of the opening tutorial level. [An extreme understatement]
    me1yr2.jpg
    me3ws0.jpg
    me5zv7.jpg

2560 by 1440 -- you're getting that kind of detail and you're playing on an HDTV? What, do you have four GPUs in that box?

Agehn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Mirror's Edge, as usual, looks ridiculously good, in my opinion.

Screenshots from my PC copy, of the opening tutorial level. H-scroll warning.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3066/me1yr2.jpg
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7006/me3ws0.jpg
    http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1001/me4as5.jpg

Because Mirror's Edge is on the Unreal Engine (just like UT3, Gears of War, and Mass Effect), it supports the "tiledshot n" command, where n is any number that it will use multiply your current screen resolution by. This lets you take screenshots of any size, limited only by the ability of your computer not to crash. If you want take one at 32,000 x 18,000 or something, go ahead.

Things like this is why I wish my only computer wasn't a few years old laptop. That hair is not very hair like and some of the billboards seem awfully low res, though.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GRID PC - Dragos mod + Enhanced Ultra V3 + Ultra High V14 Beta

resized to 1280:

GRID2009-01-1812-55-22-50_small.jpg
    GRID2009-01-1813-02-32-72_small.jpg

edit: forced you to look at one of them (you've paid bandwidth for it already, might as well).

Mangaroo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It is indeed Mirror's Edge.

It's a beautiful game, though often more because of style and not photorealism. However, it's pretty smart. It uses textures very well meaning that it is free to put a ridiculous amount of detail here and there.

And, every now and again, it is the most photorealistic game I've ever played because fuck me those guys know how to env_map (the process of putting dynamic 'reflections' and other light-related detail on). Shame their character models (and weirdly, animation) aren't so hot.

It is not a photo, though, no. It's just the best painted concrete and steel railing I've seen in a game.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is a shot of Mirror's Edge. It is indeed magnificent.

ip01e8br0.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The future is tasteful and geometric.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's not a photo?
    Hah, okay then ME is utterly stunning (which I already knew and have stated, but that takes it up a notch).

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The thing about Mirror's Edge is that it's not just very very pretty. It's very very pretty in a way that no other game is.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just wish it wasn't shot through with wasted potential =(

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    When I get a new computer I will buy Mirror's Edge solely for the purpose of benchmarking it <3

/dreams

Impersonator on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I refuse to believe that orange peel/rail shot is not a photo.

It's too realistic :o

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Airan wrote: »
    I refuse to believe that orange peel/rail shot is not a photo.

It's too realistic :o

You want realistic?
    palms01-1.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can see that is generated gfx immediately. Some of those indoor shots of Mirror's edge are nearly perfect. The garbage cans and the couches stand out, but the lighting is very convincing.

stigweard on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Crysis.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EVE-Online

I've been playing this on and off for a while, they upgraded the graphics engine last year and now it looks outstanding.
    08n.jpg
    04n.jpg
    03n.jpg

Riven

Man this game was beautiful, one of the first games I can remember playing all the way through. I was probably a little too young for Myst.
    21337_full.jpg
    21330_full.jpg
    21327_full.jpg
    21325_full.jpg

Neverhood

Got this game on a demo disk with our first ever family PC, running windows 95.
    neverhood_01.jpg
    neverhood9.jpg
    neverhood06.jpg

MOHAA

Because godamnit, the atmosphere in the beach landing was godamned amazing.
    mohaa_08.jpg
    mohaa_07.jpg
    moh9.jpg
    moh2.jpg

Final Fantasy IX

To this day, I believe that this game contains some of the best Art Direction of the series.
    ff9_462.jpg
    ff9_459.jpg
    ff9_433.jpg
    ff9_420.jpg
    ff9_409.jpg

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, Mirror's Edge using its lighting and detail nearly perfectly to make things look right. That shot looks really good, but the lighting seems unnatural somehow.

edit: to Scarab's shot.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rolo wrote: »
    Crysis.jpg

The island shot looks as good as reality... but the second one is obvious IMHO. You can see it in the grass, the chain link, and in the shape of the leaves especially.

Rigor Mortis on