Options

What makes a game good is the graphics - NSF56K

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    Be prepared, it's SaGa. Therefore, its gameplay mechanics will drive you up a wall.

I dunno, the only SaGa game I played was Unlimited SaGa and I enjoyed it a lot.

In the minority, you are. I tried to like that game, but could not understand it for the life of me. Beautiful games, all around. The SaGa games never skimp on great presentation and art, but the gameplay...

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    Be prepared, it's SaGa. Therefore, its gameplay mechanics will drive you up a wall.

I dunno, the only SaGa game I played was Unlimited SaGa and I enjoyed it a lot.

In the minority, you are. I tried to like that game, but could not understand it for the life of me. Beautiful games, all around. The SaGa games never skimp on great presentation and art, but the gameplay...

You turned into yoda there for a second.

screenshot_000000706.jpg.xs.jpg
    This shot doesn't do the game justice, but it is a damn shame that mythos is never coming out.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You know, I didn't mean to, but the word placement just came right out and I figured I'd roll with it. Ah well.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh my god I was looking forward to Mythos so fucking bad. I'm too damn cheap to even think about getting into WoW, that was my last chance at an MMO.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ss20081220224927la6.jpg

WoW, it's Runes of Magic! :p

...yeah, not the most original of art styles, and perhaps not the most flashy looking game...but it's not bad for a freebie MMO.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not trying to sound like a dick here, but.. why is that good?
    edit: ahh okay, freebie MMO.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Not trying to sound like a dick here, but.. why is that good?
    edit: ahh okay, freebie MMO.

Well, they're graphics. That's what makes it good, right? The thread title doesn't say anything about the graphics being good, just that graphics make games good.

So basically any game qualifies as long as it's not a text adventure. Unless it's one of those text adventures that has pictures!

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yep. I'm not going to claim it's the most amazing graphics evar. They took a lot of inspiration from World of Warcraft, not just in the appearance but in a number of other ways.

But, at the same time, when I'm tinkering around with RoM I'm not really looking at it and going "ugh". It looks pretty good and I can run it at maximum settings on my card (7900GS 256MB).

(also, that's a SS from my PC, not an edited SS from the official site)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    But I come in here to shame my computer into going faster.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Colin McRae Rally 2.0 - Released in 2000, still modded today. ;-)
    ss20081220232034tj5.jpg

A real classic; I still play it pretty often.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Whoah nice, CMR 2.0 was the last "realistic" CMR out there, it was still arcade but a lot better than it's sequels.

I remember you can actually flip your car by going over 180km/h and doing a hard 90º turn.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hey guys, remember Mass Effect?

Some of these are a bit spoilery.
    48863462yr9.jpg

34541209vp1.jpg

17789449vh8.jpg

85594065ku1.jpg

38360588qt2.jpg

51228791xj0.jpg

87240323cy7.jpg

24931287xi4.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Whoah nice, CMR 2.0 was the last "realistic" CMR out there, it was still arcade but a lot better than it's sequels.

I remember you can actually flip your car by going over 180km/h and doing a hard 90º turn.

More racing games need to do this. Just because it is really cool. Like burnout, they should do this.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh hey, this thread is back.

Since we're mentioning older games that look good...

I always thought that EA did a magnificent job with the Lord of the Rings license when it came to the Battle for Middle Earth series. I doubt we'll be seeing a third installment since the LOTR party is over, but the existing two were some of my favorite RTS's of all time. I have lost track of my copy of BFME2, but I recently found my disc for the original, and I took some screens in hopes that I might spread the love. Battle for Middle Earth came out in 2004, and it looked fucking amazing for its time. I still think it looks fairly decent.

Spoiler'd for kinda big:
    Even the title screen looks cool:
    Untitled-2a.jpg

Ents are no match for Gondor's archers with fire arrow upgrades.
    Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Each army has their own unique super powers. Fill out the power tree with Gondor, and you get to summon the army of the dead.
    Untitled-5.jpg

Gondor also has the ability to summon the eagles.
    Untitled-6.jpg

Each army also has their own heroes that can be summoned from the citadel. Gondor gets Pippin, Faramir, Boromir, and Gandalf. Mordor gets Gollum, two nazgul and the Witch-king. I believe Rohan gets Merry, Eowyn, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Eomer, and Theoden. Isengard gets Lurtz and Saruman. I strongly suggest playing as Gondor since they get Gandalf. And basically once you get Gandalf, you win.
    Untitled-8.jpg

Mordor has some pretty awesome units. Mumakil stuffed with Harad archers = win.
    Untitled-9.jpg

Fill out the power tree with Mordor, and you get to summon the Balrog. Would be second-best unit in the game if it didn't have such a short time limit.
    Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

In general, I feel like the BFME games didn't get enough attention. They really are a fucking blast. They're still pretty to look at, and for Ring-nuts, you can't go wrong. I seriously need to find my copy of BFME2 :(

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    Hey guys, remember Mass Effect?

Some of these are a bit spoilery.

i always forget

aside from the pop in, and some weird texture choices, mass effect was just jaw-meet-floor so much of the time

don't even start about the faces

Nuzak on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Triple B wrote: »

I always thought that EA did a magnificent job with the Lord of the Rings license when it came to the Battle for Middle Earth series. I doubt we'll be seeing a third installment since the LOTR party is over, but the existing two were some of my favorite RTS's of all time. I have lost track of my copy of BFME2, but I recently found my disc for the original, and I took some screens in hopes that I might spread the love. Battle for Middle Earth came out in 2004, and it looked fucking amazing for its time. I still think it looks fairly decent.

Spoiler'd for kinda big:
    Untitled-2a.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Each army has their own unique super powers. Fill out the power tree with Gondor, and you get to summon the army of the dead.
    Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Each army also has their own heroes that can be summoned from the citadel. Gondor gets Pippin, Faramir, Boromir, and Gandalf. Mordor gets Gollum, two nazgul and the Witch-king. I believe Rohan gets Merry, Eowyn, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Eomer, and Theoden. Isengard gets Lurtz and Saruman. I strongly suggest playing as Gondor since they get Gandalf. And basically once you get Gandalf, you win.
    Untitled-8.jpg

Untitled-9.jpg

Fill out the power tree with Mordor, and you get to summon the Balrog. Would be second-best unit in the game if it didn't have such a short time limit.
    Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

In general, I feel like the BFME games didn't get enough attention. They really are a fucking blast. They're still pretty to look at, and for Ring-nuts, you can't go wrong. I seriously need to find my copy of BFME2 :(

I always felt the BFME games didn't get enogh attention also. I remember getting the original for christmas ages ago, and loving the hell out of it. Bought the sequel on the xbox, but then i remembered how much i hate RTS on a console. Ended up trading it in.

Think i'll pick up 2 for the pc sometime. Now that its dirt cheap and all.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Christ on a cross those ME shots reminded just how awesome that game was. I might need to give it another play through after I finish Fallout.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Rise of the witch king is an awesome expnasion pack for BFME2. The Witch King side has enemy units that *break* the game.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Spoiler'd for kinda big:
    Untitled-2a.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

Those screens look atrocious. This isn't the post-your-favorite-game thread.

Arceus on
  • Options
    DavionDavion Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The IL-2 engine is still looking pretty good after seven years, though that's also seven years worth of updates as hardware got better.
    downdowndownkn0.png
    desert1qk7.png

Davion on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    IL did something with ground detail that made it wicked, but I forgot what it was. Looks awesome, any way.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Arceus wrote: »

Spoiler'd for kinda big:
    Untitled-2a.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

Those screens look atrocious. This isn't the post-your-favorite-game thread.

This also isn't a "let's act like an elitist cock" thread. If you want to shit on someone's opinions, go find another forum.

Triple B on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This also isn't a "let's act like an elitist cock" thread. If you want to shit on someone's opinions, go find another forum.
    Your opinion on the graphics was
    it looked fucking amazing for its time. I still think it looks fairly decent.
    he disagrees. If you consider this shitting on your opinions you might want to put some more effort in wording them, instead of talking about the gameplay alone. I don't think those screenshots do the game justice, from what I played of it it looked a lot better in motion.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't think the game looks all that great either. It's very clean, almost sterile. Like a LotR toy set.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    BFME wouldn't have been my first choice of post also. But i dont really get the lynching party.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    On fully High settings, BFME 1 and 2 look absolutely amazing. Those ss's don't do the game justice. The lynch mobs can stfu.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Just hit google image for the sequel, out of interest.
    thelordoftheringsthebatqn6.jpg

Looks pretty damn good.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm new to this thread...

Is the second image in the OP really from FreeSpace 2? Didn't that release in 1999? No way it had normal mapping and dynamic shadows. Or am I missing something?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Honk wrote: »

Is the second image in the OP really from FreeSpace 2? Didn't that release in 1999? No way it had normal mapping and dynamic shadows. Or am I missing something?

FSOpen with new art assets.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Your opinion on the graphics was
    he disagrees. If you consider this shitting on your opinions you might want to put some more effort in wording them, instead of talking about the gameplay alone. I don't think those screenshots do the game justice, from what I played of it it looked a lot better in motion.

I get you, but I thought

was pretty clear-cut. It *did* look amazing in 2004, and in my opinion it still looks decent. And since there are a bunch of guys posting even older games that look like crap by today's standards, I thought it would be alright to post BFME.

Moving on.

Triple B on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

FSOpen with new art assets.

That's not a very good shot, either.

Linked for HOLY SHIT MEG IMAGE.

This next one is well within size limits.

2vjq6f4.jpg

MechMantis on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    Just hit google image for the sequel, out of interest.
    thelordoftheringsthebatqn6.jpg

Looks pretty damn good.

For some reason the troll in the boat cracks me up.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the image of chitty chitty bang bang getting zerg rushed is more hilarious.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ...yeah, I need to get FS2 reinstalled.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    battleformiddleearth_092303_006_640w.jpg

Looks pretty good in the alpha for BFME1, although I think they reduced the troop counts in the final.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Richard Burns Rally (though really it's better in motion)
    richardburnsrally200812hx3.jpg

Ah, here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdwKJ4pzSo

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    battleformiddleearth_092303_006_640w.jpg

Looks pretty good in the alpha for BFME1, although I think they reduced the troop counts in the final.

Reduced drastically. The command point limits are almost annoyingly low. But there are still some moments where the game can be a little bit visually impressive. The 3D modeling is really spectacular on some of the structures, especially the walls for Gondor and Rohan.

Triple B on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Been playing an awful lot of the new Motorstorm the past few days, graphics are UNBELIEVABLE
    MPR_006.jpg

mpr-screenshot-008.jpg

Stills don't really do it justice though, so check this out

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=W4dMUeWsc88&feature=related

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    More fun with rallying...screen from the newly released RSRBR 2009 mod for Richard Burns Rally.
    rbrcorsa2lhub.jpg

citizen059 on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    And probably posted a ton of times:
    PrinceofPersia2008-12-1112-59-57-15.jpg

I totally agree with Prince of Persia. Just picked it up over the weekend at Gamestop for $40 (yay surprise sales!) and have only gotten about 15 minutes to check it out. However, I really can't get over how beautiful this game is. At this point, I almost don't care if the game turns out horrible otherwise. If nothing else, it really sets the bar for all future cel-shaded games to come.

I think it really rides that fine line of almost too much detail for cel-shading, but, so far from what I've seen, doesn't cross it.

Not sure what the general concensus on this game is, but it really should be supported, as I would love to see them take the PoP games in this direction, artistically speaking.

Dourin on