As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Any word on differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? I'm not sure which one to pick up, is one better optimized on a particular system?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Any word on differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? I'm not sure which one to pick up, is one better optimized on a particular system?

They are the same. Go for whichever controller you prefer.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Real men will play it on a PC, though.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »

They are the same. Go for whichever controller you prefer.

And cool downloadable costume.

360 gets a white costume with a greenish glow, PS3 gets a black costume with a blue glow.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crap, I forgot about downloadable content. What happened to the days when PC gamers were catered to in that department?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Crap, I forgot about downloadable content. What happened to the days when PC gamers were catered to in that department?

People stopped buying PC versions.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I guess I'm not "people" then. The first question I asked when I heard about Dead Space was, "Is there a PC version?"

I've got the LE Bioshock too, complete with figurine. Game companies: start catering to me again, dammit!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I just got home with this game.

My console just gave me a ring of three red lights.

Someone, hold me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    There, there.

Shhhhhhhh.
    AHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA

Sorry.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Someone, hold me.

Come to my house
    Be one of the comfortable people
    Come to this house
    We're drinking all night
    Never sleeping

ps3.jpg

Come to this house
    Be one of us.
    Make this your house
    Be one of us.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yep. Will be getting the PS3 version also.

No real reason, nhl 09 is still dominating my 360 disc tray daily at the moment. fable 2 on the same day?

while it would be a nice boost to my gamerscore I dont give a flying fuck about gamerscore so Ps3 dead space all the way.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

If the controls feel ok, that'll be my preferred platform, but that remains to be seen. Unless there are any new rumorings about the PC version? I've heard squat so far.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The only rumblings I've heard have been that the PC version is more than acceptable, but I can't recall the source. I'm pretty sure it isn't just programmed for the 360 and then gripped by the throat and yanked onto the PC platform.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »

If the controls feel ok, that'll be my preferred platform, but that remains to be seen. Unless there are any new rumorings about the PC version? I've heard squat so far.

The_Scarab wrote: »
    unpurposed wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    unpurposed wrote: »
    It sucks having to wait until next week to play this and even worse with the rumors of a strange pc port.

Ugh.

Offtopic: I still feel guilty about convincing my brother to get Enter the Matrix for his birthday years ago.

"Strange" PC port? What's this about?
    Some guys at neogaf allegedly got their hands on the pc version and said the controls sucked or something like that.

To clear the air on the PC port, I just asked one of our PC guys how the controls were, he's played it for about an hour or so, and he said they were just fine. I don't know where the neogaf guys could have possibly gotten their PC version, nor do I know what exactly they said about it, but for all we know they could have just been trying to stir up trouble.

This makes me feel a lot better. Thanks.

This is the part where you should have stopped worrying.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    well, yeah, I'm referring to that as the 'old' rumorings

edit - oh, wait, you're actually an authority on the issue. I keep forgetting.

Ok, I feel better.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You can play the PC version with an Xbox 360 controller so it is almost the definition of a non issue. The controls on PC are great, and even if they were not, you can play the Pc version with console controls.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Holy god this game is sweet. It's probably going to take me twice as long as everyone else to beat because every time I reach a new area I stand there staring at all the little details for a few minutes.

After about an hour on normal difficulty I made the decision to start over on hard though and I think the game will be a lot more fun because of it.

Spoilered to not give anything away.
    On normal mode the basic crew members with the spikes growing out of their backs gave me no trouble at all. A couple shots with the cutter then a stomp to finish them off. After a little while I was sitting on quite a large stockpile of cutter ammo.

Then I reached the first store where I was able to purchase the next 2 weapons and a new suit, not to mention the x-box suit, which is at least as powerful if not moreso. I had a feeling unless hordes of much more powerful enemies started showing up I was in for a pretty easy ride.

The game sets up such a tense atmosphere, it takes away a lot of it knowing you can just blast and stomp the shit out of pretty much anything without too much trouble.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I gotta get a 360 controller anyway. I want to play through Bioshock and Gears again, as they were intended. Especially in Bioshock, the mouse just did not do it for me.

The wireless controllers work on PC too, right?

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll be getting this on the PC. I don't mind the wait, the little game time I've had lately has been spent with World of Goo anyway.

You need to buy the dongle for a wireless controller. I just use a wired one.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dammit, I didn't realize that it's not even coming to PC until the 20th.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Someone, hold me.

The game and console are uniting to take revenge for the New Game+ argument.
    seriously that sucks out loud and you have my sympathies

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Everyone please remember that the downloadable suits are fully upgraded level 5 suits with max inventory.

That means if you use them from the start,you are pretty much a badass and a LOT of the tension in the game will get lost!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm thinking I will start the game on Hard.

I think that will be awesome.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, uh, does anyone know where I can find System Requirements? I looked at the OP, Amazon.com, Wikipedia, and the Ars review and couldn't find them anywhere.

From YouGamers:

* Processor Speed: 2.8GHz
    * Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista
    * System Memory: 1GB RAM
    * Hard Drive Space: 7GB
    * Video: 256MB DirectX 9.0-compatible NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or ATI Radeon X1600 Pro video card with Shader 3.0 support
    * Drive: DVD-ROM

Thank you for this!

I know it's being released on consoles at well, but it wouldn't hurt reviewers to throw important shit like this into their reviews. It's not like nobody's going to be playing the PC version (or hell, who knows, maybe it is just me).

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Someone, hold me.

The game and console are uniting to take revenge for the New Game+ argument.
    seriously that sucks out loud and you have my sympathies

Every time you sympathize with a person who got 'red ringed', another Xbox someplace kills itself.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm thinking I will start the game on Hard.

I think that will be awesome.

I think that would be a good idea. I've been telling all my friends who are picking it up soon to do the same. The game begs, nay deserves to be played on hard.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I picked it up on PS3 mainly because I don't actually own any disc games for that system yet. I read somewhere that the textures look ever so slightly better on the PS3 version but I'm not OCD-ish enough to bother finding out. Err.... the PS3 version has demos for Burnout Paradise and Battlefield Bad Company too! That's all I got.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll be picking this up a little later today for the 360. I'm going to play on Normal first, and then if I deem the game awesome, as I think I may, I'll replay it on a harder difficulty.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know it's being released on consoles at well, but it wouldn't hurt reviewers to throw important shit like this into their reviews. It's not like nobody's going to be playing the PC version (or hell, who knows, maybe it is just me).

Yeah, to be fair, those were the first Google result for "Dead Space system requirements."

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Generally, if you have both a 360 and a PS3, I would recommend getting otherwise identical single player games like this one for the PS3, because then you still have plenty of games to play if your Xbox red-rings.

The only reasons not to would be different DLC, controller preferences for certain genres, etc.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    Everyone please remember that the downloadable suits are fully upgraded level 5 suits with max inventory.

That means if you use them from the start,you are pretty much a badass and a LOT of the tension in the game will get lost!

So, this sounds a bit like new game+ for all modes.

Ranced on
  • Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    am I the only one stomping on the necromorphs even after they are dead?

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Absolutely not

Green on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

No.

Am I the only one that really wants to get the assault rifle, but is unsure of how much ammo I'll find for it?

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Getting this later tonight... Totally stoked 8-)

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damnit, I wish Gamefly would hurry up, haven't been this hyped since bioshock last year, and it didn't disappoint...heres hoping this one won't either.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    043 wrote: »

No.

Am I the only one that really wants to get the assault rifle, but is unsure of how much ammo I'll find for it?
    I grabbed the Pulse Rifle just before the medical bay, and I'm glad I did

If you use it wisely you should have around 200+ rounds before you're halfway done with the chapter

EDIT: Of course it takes 30+ rounds to kill a Slasher but

Green on
  • Options
    K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I want both this and Saints Row 2 :x I'm stuck here.

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I GOT DEAD SPACE!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    K7 Avenger wrote: »
    I want both this and Saints Row 2 :x I'm stuck here.
    Add Fable 2, Fallout 3 and X3:TC to that list and you'll be in my shoes :P

EDIT: Shit, I had forgotten that Persona 3:FES is released here in the E.U at the same time as well.

Silpheed on
This discussion has been closed.